Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife told me I am getting a 1450mm P-51 (Petie 2nd) on Monday as a Christmas gift!

Looks like I will have to transition from Jets to warbirds. I cannot wait!
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Awesome grats! Nice choice, the blue nosers fly best! ;) (Don't oook at my avatar, I'm not biased at all...).

Comment

• While building the P-51, I noticed that the retracts struts have these fully threaded screws acting as followers for the compression action. Mine were both loose (because the threads were biting into the channel) and the compression was not smooth.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19230.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	109860

I replaced them with these smaller smooth-headed screws from a Freewing T-45 nose gear strut. These work much better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171221_213919.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	109859 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19228.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	109858

Does anyone know where I can get more of these little screws? Maybe someone from Motion can chime in?

I also added a small bead of Foam Tac to the foam hinges. And, I went ahead and glued the tail components with Foam Tac since the screw attachment didn't seem so secure. Overall though, I like the plane. Can't wait to fly her.

Comment

• I recently replaced the main struts on my Stinger 90 because they were worn out and those were the parts I kept from the old set and added to the new ones to give double the support. Your best bet is to find a M3 (I think) shoulder screw and cut it down. Leave the shoulder part a little long so it protrudes past the edge of the strut and you can tighten or loosen them with pliers if need be.

Comment

• Yeah I figured that. Today I found that the guide tubes for the elevator and rudder pushrods were not glued in the fuselage. The controls were extremely spongy due to the unsupported pushrods bending.
            So I went and glued the tubes in correctly. I also dispensed with the EZ connector on the elevator since it was in too far on the servo horn for proper throw, Put a z-bend on the rod and moved it to the outer hole on the servo for perfect operation.
            The rear end is now sturdy enough for flight.

Another thing was the blades came out of the box pretty darn close on balance. But the spinner was another story. Anyway, she is balanced and ready.

I'm running my Admiral 4s 3600 flush with the forward end of the battery tray. The CG is spot on.

Hope to maiden her tomorrow if the weather will cooperate.

Comment

• Don't know if any of you Mustang lovers down in Texas saw this yet, but here's a good deal....

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Maidened my FMS P-51 today, Christmas day. The weather was indeed frightful...for a maiden anyway. Constant wind at 10-15kts and temps around 40F. My wife gave me the P-51 for Christmas and went with me to take photos.

Flight 1: easy takeoff with a howling crosswind. But I soon realized the bird was acting tail heavy. Got her under control and landed. It turns out that I had forgot to re-adjust the tail linkage after doing the Z-bend mod and gluing in the pushrod guide tubes. Pilot error....

Flight 2. same battery, no recharge, elevator properly aligned to stab. She flew and handled the wind with no problem. Stock power, Admiral 4s 3600.

I am sure I will put many hours of flight time on this bird. What surprises me most about the P-51 is how well she penetrates the wind. Landings and takeoffs are really easy even under pretty good crosswind conditions. Good ship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171225_131501.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	110265Click image for larger version

Name:	20171225_131622.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	110267Click image for larger version

Name:	20171225_131912.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	110268Click image for larger version

Name:	20171225_131824.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	110266

Comment

• of course it does, it's a blue nose! Lol, grats mate

Comment

• You just couldn't resist could you Shirty.:)

Comment

• It just happens, I can't help it ;)

Comment

• Looks great Seaviper, are you running the stock 540 kv?

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• It took me 45 pages of reading to figure out what the heck BBD was!@#$

Yessir bone stock. Gonna take Petie (aka Ole Blue Nose) out today for some more test flights with the boys. I'll report back. Yesterday we had a gale blowing. Hopefully today the wind will die down a little.

Comment

• Big Beautiful Doll!
                            Sorry, I've always used that for her, didn't think anything of it.
                            Speaking of which, she's about to get an upgrade from her 580kv to a 650 kv that came out of the P-40 because I've gone 6s on the P-40. Got the motor and ESC from Pilot Ryan's P-47 that got totaled at Nefi. (BTW, guys, the easiest motor conversion I've done to date)
                            To mount the 650 takes a bit of drilling as the motor mount has a different bolt pattern, but not a big deal, I've done it on my FW P-51D, Flightline Bearcat and the FMS P-51B, helps quite a bit.
                            Here's how she looks, did some cockpit mods aw well. Believe it or not, the first RC plane I ever bought....
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4407.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	110352Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3231.jpg Views:	1 Size:	143.1 KB ID:	110353Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4408.JPG Views:	1 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	110354Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8996.JPG Views:	1 Size:	244.0 KB ID:	110355
                            She's a sweetheart!!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey guys, I'm new to Hobby Squawk, first time posting. I just bought my second Mustang the other day, this one is the 1450mm Shangrila ver. My first was the 1700mm red tail version which sadly crashed beyond repair a couple of summers ago. I plan on putting the 85amp ESC out of the 1700 and the 4258-550kv motor in the new stang and run it on 6S. I read that I should not do the prop mod with this setup, is that correct.
                              I'm looking forward to the build and mods over the winter. I picked up some skiis today for the Beaver for our Jan.1 frosty fly as there will definitely be snow on the ground this year and calling for -10C temps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crashcanuck1962 View Post
                                Hey guys, I'm new to Hobby Squawk, first time posting. I just bought my second Mustang the other day, this one is the 1450mm Shangrila ver. My first was the 1700mm red tail version which sadly crashed beyond repair a couple of summers ago. I plan on putting the 85amp ESC out of the 1700 and the 4258-550kv motor in the new stang and run it on 6S. I read that I should not do the prop mod with this setup, is that correct.
                                I'm looking forward to the build and mods over the winter. I picked up some skiis today for the Beaver for our Jan.1 frosty fly as there will definitely be snow on the ground this year and calling for -10C temps.
                                Welcome to Hobby Squawk Crash! I doubt the 1450mm prop assembly will hold up long on 6S...don't ask me how I know:Bomb:
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Crash! I doubt the 1450mm prop assembly will hold up long on 6S...don't ask me how I know:Bomb:
                                  Ditto. Get the aluminum backplate from customrcparts if you want to run 6S: http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...roducts_id=217. Definitely worth the money to avoid a spinner explosion.

Comment

• Good advice! If you want to go with the best 4s system, you can put the FMS 650kv from the P-40 in with a 85A ESC, with or without the prop mod. My P-51B is flying with that and its great!
                                    Great info on the spinner as well guys, I'll bookmark that one. I've got the P-40 all rigged up with the FMS P-47 6s motor and ESC, I've seen Charlie's fly, simply amazing!!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I'm already setup pretty well with 6s packs from either other planes or helis and would like to stick with what I have. So will that spinner work with the stock 4 bladed prop setup or is it meant for a 2 blade?

Comment

• Originally posted by Crashcanuck1962 View Post
                                        I'm already setup pretty well with 6s packs from either other planes or helis and would like to stick with what I have. So will that spinner work with the stock 4 bladed prop setup or is it meant for a 2 blade?
                                        It is designed to be a drop in replacement to work with the stock blades.

Comment

• That aluminum spinner is a nice looking piece and will likely be in my future plans. Funny thing is my neighbour could probably build me one if he had the time. He has a lathe and milling machine in his garage and scratch builds some beautiful works of art planes. Some of the aluminum landing gear he has made just blow me away. I will have to have a talk with him about that, could probably just measure up the stock plastic one and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                                          X