Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What receiver are you guys running and do you think there is any need for stability in the P40?

Comment

• Hey Stu, I originally had an A3L in mine, when I lost it in the Nefi Triangle, I rebuilt it and left the thing out. Flies great either way, the nice thing about the gyro is if you are dealing with a lot of wind conditions, it can help you out. Personally, I use 10 channel Lemon receivers in most of my planes, they're great and at an affordable price, Lemon makes the Admiral receivers for Motion RC, I get mine off Amazon because I use an Amazon credit card for everything and then pay it off at the end of the month so I don't pay interest, this earns my points which gets me free receivers!

NOW, ANNOUNCEMENT TIME!!!!

I have just received, without a doubt, the kindest, most generous favor of my life.

As most of you who know me know, I was working for a Drug manufacturer out here in Wyoming, A legitimate drug manufacturer LOL. Our doors were closed last year by our parent company, Lannett Pharmaceuticals for reasons I won't get into because it just pisses me off!!
      I had to grab a job, and now work for Albertsons Grocery, which is a chain store, better known as Safeway in Canada. The result was a $12/hour loss and a 6 month wait to get medical. Now I've recouped $2/hour and went from new employee to employee of the month in 5 months. Anyway, to make a long story short, to help keep my sanity, I dragged out my old P-40 fuse and got creative to see if I could repair it. The result was as you see in the past posts on this thread. I was hoping to find guys who may have had old pieces left over from crashed P-40s and try to assemble an airplane just for the fun of it.
      My friend Jerry, better known as Hardway on this site, offered to help me out and asked what I needed so I told him.
      I never expected what I received today, he was kind enough to send me a brand spanking new P-40!!

HOLY **** JERRY, thanks so much, this just makes my millennia!!
      This just takes the cake my friendto you from one Wyominite to a Texan, one Click image for larger version

Name:	th3QENPB6G.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	252569 to Click image for larger version

Name:	th9KKB025R.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	252567 thankyou from the bottom of my

Grossman56
      Attached Files
      Team Gross!

Comment

• You are quite welcome!!!!

Comment

• Grossman56
          I will second your recognition of Jerry's bigger than life giving spirit and his most obvious heart of gold. Here's to you Mr. Hardway
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Their should be more people in the world like you Hardway. You are what defines a great person and friend. Way to go!

Comment

• Hardway wins the internet this month. Somebody get this man a
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Ya'll are all too kind! I have been so blessed by our Lord and I just want to share it when I can!!! Thanks again guys...

Comment

• Alpha, thanks for all you do!!! I am glad you are staying well and safe!!! The MRC team is the best! Jerry

Comment

• This is awesome!

Comment

• So, thanks to Hardway, I'm off and running!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4900.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	252843
                      The decals on the lower wing were very loose with the corners already peeling up. As if they wanted to come off, so I obliged them!

Name:	IMG_4901.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	252844

Then, into the fun stuff!!!

Name:	IMG_4907.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	252846Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4903.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	252845Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4910.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	252847Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4911.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	252848Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4912.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	252849Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4916.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	252850Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4917.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	252851

I did notice that it came with the infamous Predator ESC, which I think, for piece of mind if nothing else, I'll swap out.

Name:	IMG_4903.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	252852
                      You'll notice the different sheen on the underside inboard of the wing. All I did was run the tape from front to back rather than side to side and it gives you this effect.

More to come!!!!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Your getting really good at that Gman, it looks great.

Comment

• Comment

• BTW, I use Wenol for polishing the metal. I still have two quart size cans left over from my DC-3 polishing days, it's coming in very handy with these shiny airplanes. After the tape is laid down and sits for a bit, the tension seems to relax, by polishing, its amazing how much more detail will pop out from the surface and how many imperfections can be rubbed out. I've compared the finish to the Flite Metal on My Little Gal II and the Flite Metal is more mirror like, but the tape gives a great authentic look, you'll see when she's done.
                            Ah, the smell of metal polish....

Name:	Scan017.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	252913

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman, looking good! Cannot wait for you post some pics of the finished product.

Hardway, er Jerry , that was really nice of you. I commend your attitude, especially in a time like this. This is why I love this hobby. I have talked to so many great people and everyone I have ever spoken to has been so kind and very helpful. I love all of you. Let's just promise if the world goes into complete chaos, we will just fly until we cannot any longer.

Happy flying!

Edit: I finally received my new ESC from Motion RC yesterday. Going to swap out that predator ESC. Thanks again, everyone!
                              Happy flying!

Comment

• You know, it just occurred to me that this is another thing we stand to lose if the FAA comes down on us. Man, the camaraderie I've experienced on this site and in this hobby is simply amazing and when I think that if it wasn't for these little flying chunks of foam, how many people that I call friends and brothers wouldn't be in my life. There is not a better bunch of people than those in the R/C community. When things are looking poorly, I can always get together either here or at the field with my club mates and talk airplanes and forget everything else.
                                Thanks all my buddies, great to know you're all there.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Here's an update on the P-40! The new fuse is complete, one wing is done and the horizontal stab has most of its covering on:
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4919.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.3 KB ID:	254032Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4920.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.7 KB ID:	254033
                                  Other than the cockpit hatch, nothing has been polished. I managed to cover the air input 'jaw' and it looks great. The cowl flaps are going to be painted red, white, blue, red, white. Decals have been ordered from Callie Graphics, just the basics the prewar insignias top and bottom of the wings and on the fuse and also the 'U.S Army' on the underside of the wings. One more wing to go, the top of the wings is very easy, the bottom is slightly harder because of the flaps and the retract housing, will probably have to paint those with chrome paint as well as the fuse guns and the rear retract doors and the panel forward of them. I didn't want to cover the little panel in case I have to get in there at some point in time.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Lookin' Good Dan!

Comment

• Finished up the metal work last night! I was just getting the hang of it again, dang!
                                      I was looking at the rest of the fleet through the corner of my eye, and they all ran and hid!!
                                      So, now the polishing begins, which will probably take a couple of nights and into Saturday, then I'll paint the walkways on the wings and all the control surfaces will be painted silver. I'll use the chrome paint for the gear doors and the fuse guns, it does a pretty good job. Got decals on order from Callie, being shipped on Friday.
                                      Once she's polished, you have to handle her with gloves on as fingerprints don't look pretty. Can't wait to see her assembled!! Going to look so cool I'll get more pics once the polishing is done.
                                      BTW, I found the best way to apply the tape is to tape off the edge of the piece you're mating up to, leaving about a 1/16th" overlay. Always work from the back to the front so the overlay works with the wind . On the upper part of wings, I worked length-wise, cut the piece a little longer than what I needed (approx. 1/4"). Put it in place and used tape to secure the side that I was going to smoothen towards. Started peeling the backing, stretched the tape away from the taped end and started laying it down, using a blending stump or as they call it in the videos, a burnishing stump, to smoothen it out as I worked to the taped end, pulling some more backing off as I went. Once I was near the end of the piece, I'd release the taped end and pull the remainder of the backing off and smoothen the last of it. A little cut with an exacto knife where the tape goes under the metal and then pull the tap off, it will cut an edge right along the tape edge. It worked very well.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Comment

• Did some polishing last night, Also, laid her out in approximate position to get an idea of what its looking like........

Name:	IMG_4921.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	254717Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4922.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	254718Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4923.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	254719Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4926.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	254720Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4929.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	254721Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4923.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	254722
                                          Hmm, don't know why that one posted twice, but oh well. Now the pics showing the general layout are before polishing, the one of the wing and the tail assembly are after. Note that one of the guns is loose so I'll have to glue that in again, no biggie there. Just picture her with the Air Carps insignia on the wings and fuse. She's going to be an eye catcher!!
                                          American Spirit!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X