X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

WOW, haven't heard of that happening. I had over 150 landings on my first Spitfire, and never had a problem with the retracts or struts, and believe me, some of my early landings were definitely painful to watch. The new replaced Spitty has about 30 flights on it and nothing has yet to happen there either. I had about 80 flights on an asphalt runway and the last 100 (including the new one) on grass and can't image the stress that would be needed to require the actual strut to snap. I would think the strut pin going in the retract would bend or snap long before the actual strut (which was the case with some of my early landings with the F-4 nose gear pins, similar to the Spitfire's set up). If you have a photo of the snapped strut I would like to see it, and it's not that I don't believe you, I do, just wanted to see where it snapped at.
    I was quite surprised by it as well! I fully expected the full retract motor to pull out before that happened but, everything is still tight and nicely in place! 6 flight total on this plane and happened on the 3rd flight each time. I know this makes it sound like my landings are crap lol but, they really weren't! That's what has me a bit worried and frustrated by it. Due to where it broke, I have had to purchase the entire retract system for that side which is $30! I'll see if I can figure out getting pics posted.
    FlightLine Spitfire Mk. IX
    Eflite Air Tractor
    Goblin 500
    Goblin 770

Comment

• FlightLine Spitfire Mk. IX
      Eflite Air Tractor
      Goblin 500
      Goblin 770

Comment

• No other damage to the retract or the plane. Pictures to show the break point which is in the same spot both times it happened and to show the retract is otherwise in good shape and fresh. Note, that is weathering paint on the panel.
        Eflite Air Tractor
        Goblin 500
        Goblin 770

Comment

• i'm a ME and we will not buy china screws because they do not use procedures that eliminate nitrogen embrittlement. to make a long story short china is very poor at getting heat treatment correct. spring steal should be between Rockwell c 30-40. that pic is typical Rockwell c 60+ as steel gets harder it becomes susceptible to shock loads (like landing).

what I would do:
          remove the broken peace's, make new by buying metric screws ie.:
          McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

that one is Rockwell c 37 and the un threaded portion will be 5mm (I assume is the diameter you need, never had mine apart) cut to length and replace the broken one. from your pic's it looks like the broken peace is held in by the dowel pin in the oleo outer case, chances are that also sets up the spring tension. good luck and let me know if you have any questions (though it is chistmass and I will be on spotty).

hope I helped
          Joe
          Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Thanks Joe! That just helped a lot of us even if it's for a different aircraft..

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
              i'm a ME and we will not buy china screws because they do not use procedures that eliminate nitrogen embrittlement. to make a long story short china is very poor at getting heat treatment correct. spring steal should be between Rockwell c 30-40. that pic is typical Rockwell c 60+ as steel gets harder it becomes susceptible to shock loads (like landing).

what I would do:
              remove the broken peace's, make new by buying metric screws ie.:
              McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

that one is Rockwell c 37 and the un threaded portion will be 5mm (I assume is the diameter you need, never had mine apart) cut to length and replace the broken one. from your pic's it looks like the broken peace is held in by the dowel pin in the oleo outer case, chances are that also sets up the spring tension. good luck and let me know if you have any questions (though it is chistmass and I will be on spotty).

hope I helped
              Joe
              Thank you for the reply and information! I will have to see how it comes apart when I get home this evening. I'm unsure how this will go into/connect with the end where the retract motor is. Would certainly be nice to find a cheap, stronger solution to fixing it with something like this. Still kind of shocked at how easy they just snapped especially considering the retract didn't pull out of or damage the wing in any way.
              Eflite Air Tractor
              Goblin 500
              Goblin 770

Comment

• Quickone4u That broken strut pin (correct name for it) is a most common event due to the issues that is well known about Chinese metallurgy as paladin has already mentioned.
                The strut pin is held into the strut oleo (correct name) and the e-tract trunnion(correct name) with set screws which are usually loctited at the factory.
                Because these set screws are usually of inferior grade as has come to be expected you should use a solder iron to heat the screw before trying to extract so as to not round out the hex.
                Welcome to the Squawk and the addiction of RC modeling
                Best regards,
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Quickone4u View Post
                  Thank you for the reply and information!.
                  Q4, Welcome to "The Squawk". As you have seen, great people and information here. Glad to have you onboard, Sir. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thank you everyone for the kind comments and welcome! Great information and good to know how the strut pins work. Will be ordering some replacement pins mentioned by Paladin in this case and looking forward to getting back in the air! Not new to the hobby but, had been away several years. jumped back in at the begging of the year with a couple planes and helis. Glad to be back and thankful for a forum such as this to share info and learn! Thank you guys again for the help!
                    Eflite Air Tractor
                    Goblin 500
                    Goblin 770

Comment

• Want to give another shout out and thanks to Palidin! Just placed an order through the company he linked and I will be receiving my parts to convert my LG tomorrow for a whopping $9! I'm quite happy about that as I had hoped to get more flying in over the long weekend!
                      Eflite Air Tractor
                      Goblin 500
                      Goblin 770

Comment

• sorry bud, they add shipping when its boxed. it'll be closer to 21 bucks.

good luck

Joe
                        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

sorry bud, they add shipping when its boxed. it'll be closer to 21 bucks.

good luck

Joe
                          No, the actual shipping itself was $9 direct to me tomorrow. I seen where they said that on the site when I placed my order so I shot them a message just to make sure I had done things properly. They were quick to reply explaining how their shipping works along with telling me the shipping total. I should have been more clear in my wording of the previous post that the $9 was specifically for the shipping. Great service and quick response with reasonable prices! I'm quite happy!
                          Eflite Air Tractor
                          Goblin 500
                          Goblin 770

Comment

• sorry, just did not want you surprised, but you r on top of it!

merry Christmas all

Joe

Comment

sorry, just did not want you surprised, but you r on top of it!

merry Christmas all

Joe
                              Thank you! Merry Christmas!
                              Eflite Air Tractor
                              Goblin 500
                              Goblin 770

Comment

• Happy Holidays to all Spitty Fans and Suawkers. Finally got me MH434 "Mylcraine" finished ....... and it's only six months until WY Spring 😁

Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Holidays 2020.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	291337

Comment

• Originally posted by Narly View Post
                                  Happy Holidays to all Spitty Fans and Suawkers. Finally got me MH434 "Mylcraine" finished ....... and it's only six months until WY Spring 😁
                                  I grew up in Casper. Seemed like most days there was wind that could tear the door off a car. So....be careful opening your car door when you go to fly it, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Narly View Post
                                    Happy Holidays to all Spitty Fans and Squawkers. Finally got me MH434 "Mylcraine" finished ..]
                                    Narly, Congrats! She's a beauty. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Narly Looks good! yeah, 6 months until spring and 7 until fall

@Gringtuerto We measure wind speed with an old car door.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                                        Narly Looks good! yeah, 6 months until spring and 7 until fall

@Gringtuerto We measure wind speed with an old car door.
                                        Well here in South Florida we measure wind speed during Hurricane Season with the % of your roof that stays intact. 50% is just a normal ho hum wake me when it's over.
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                          Well here in South Florida we measure wind speed during Hurricane Season with the % of your roof that stays intact. 50% is just a normal ho hum wake me when it's over.
                                          And here in the most-est of the mid-est portion of the Midwest, if you can't fly in the wind, you knit as a hobby rather than building and flying R/C incredible airframes. Just sayin'. Merry Christmas, Lads & Lassies, LB
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X