X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
    They both fly almost the same. I could say things like maybe better ground handling with the big one, but that's probably just wheel size and weight. Maybe the big one flies better because it's bigger. But really nothing significant in difference to report. I couldn't decide, so I own them both. I like flying them both. I've even flown both on the same flying day numerous times. Which sounds ridiculous even saying it. Maybe the small one is faster but I have no way of checking and it is probably just a visual illusion due to size. At least you could flip a coin and not be disappointed either way. If you've been dreaming of a big warbird, the big spit does not disappoint.

But owning the batteries already is a consideration. And being able to throw it in the backseat without pulling the wings off...
    Thanks for the info! After destroying the little lippisch I decided to move onto something else lol

Comment

• my son and i have everything from 1/12 to 1/4 scale warbirds. we flew the 1/12 in combat till the scale combat planes started looking like open combat planes. now we fly them for fun, can't fly them together cause we always end up mid-airing. we have a cat for the glass and ply planes that always draws a crowd, but mostly we fly them in the winter, early spring and late fall, maybe twenty flights a year each. they are fun because we can do things we wood never do with a bigger plane.

the bigger planes just look nicer in the air and on the ground and are much more of a challenge. the big fight here is not living the axiom "the number of flights a plane gets is inversely proportional to its cost." i would always go with the bigger plane. but you have to decide for you, what ever you decide have fun!

Joe
      Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• I just picked up this Flightline Spitfire 1600 from a club member who never flew it. Installed a Spektrum AR620 rx and now have to set it up on my DX9. After doing a search for rates in this forum it seems that many find the manual's high rates twitchy and fly on the recommended low rates. I typically set up high/mid/ low rates so I'm considering the following :

Ail Ele Rud Expo
        High 100 100 100 35%
        Mid 80 75 80 25%
        Low 70 65 70 20%

I intend to maiden at mid rates with manual's cg at 90mm +/- 5mm back from leading edge and manually dial in 2mm up ele per manual. I'm reasonably sure the plane won't be twitchy at mid rates but unsure if the 75% ele rate is enough to avoid avoid nose overs on my 1-1.5" well kept grass field. What say you with experience on this bird? Since the manual only provides mm settings for flaps and up ele mix I'll guess and measure unless someone can provide %'s. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Comment

• Anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
            I just picked up this Flightline Spitfire 1600 from a club member who never flew it. Installed a Spektrum AR620 rx and now have to set it up on my DX9. After doing a search for rates in this forum it seems that many find the manual's high rates twitchy and fly on the recommended low rates. I typically set up high/mid/ low rates so I'm considering the following :

Ail Ele Rud Expo
            High 100 100 100 35%
            Mid 80 75 80 25%
            Low 70 65 70 20%

I intend to maiden at mid rates with manual's cg at 90mm +/- 5mm back from leading edge and manually dial in 2mm up ele per manual. I'm reasonably sure the plane won't be twitchy at mid rates but unsure if the 75% ele rate is enough to avoid avoid nose overs on my 1-1.5" well kept grass field. What say you with experience on this bird? Since the manual only provides mm settings for flaps and up ele mix I'll guess and measure unless someone can provide %'s. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
            Hi ICM: I can only relate what I use on my Spitfire. I have had it 5 years now, have a ton of flights on it. Banged it up a bit on occasion, but still all original parts. Haven't had to trade out any of the major parts yet. I have only flown it from hard surfaced runways, never on grass yet.

I CG at the book value of 90mm.

For what it's worth these are some of my settings:

Aileron: High 80 Mid 75 Low 46 Expo 20%
            Elevator: High 80 Mid 70 Low 47 Expo 25%
            Rudder: High 110 Mid 100 Low 90 Expo 20 %

I usually use low rates for my flying, and mid to high for rudder.

On my flaps, I use full flaps at the scale position of 85 degrees down (almost straight down.) I have a mid-flap position, about half of that amount that I use occasionally, but I almost always land with the full 85 flap down position, with some power and almost always use a wheel landing, but if I mess that up, I can either go around if it's a real bounce, or just reset up for a three-point, which works well, too.

In my Flap System on my Spektrum DX18, I use a flap to elevator mix of: flaps up: -7%, Mid Flap: -20%, and full flap -20%.

That's just my particular settings that I use. As I say, this plane is still around after 5 years of flying, so it works for me, and looks fairly realistic. I always try to fly all my warbirds in a scale fashion, and fly only maneuvers that they were capable of and expected to do in flight and combat (NO 3D stuff!).

These settings might give you some ideas how you want to fly your plane. I think for the maiden, we used the stock book recommended values, and I think you'd be fine there for your first flights,, to adjust as you wish after you feel comfortable with it.

Good Luck!

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0806.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	340608

Comment

• Thanks very much davegee for your settings and advice. Given your flap/elevator mix I assume at 90mm cg your plane is somewhat nose heavy.

Comment

Thanks very much davegee for your settings and advice. Given your flap/elevator mix I assume at 90mm cg your plane is somewhat nose heavy.
                Maybe a little bit, but I just adjusted the position of the battery in the bay to be around the book recommended position. It seems to fly pretty well there for me. I haven't tried playing with the CG position all that much on this plane. The flap/CG mix positions might have something to do with the fact I use more flaps than the book recommended values, I don't know. I set them about 5 years ago when it was new and haven't really looked at them much since, as it flies fine like that.

Comment

• Been flying the Spitfire off my golf course, its really a good flyer. I have a 12 channel rx so I have Ail and Flaps on separate channels. One thing I did was mix crow on the ailerons. I only use it after touchdown, as soon as the mains touchdown and the power is at idle ailerons deflect up full and the elevators go full up. Works great cause if you try and taxi without backstick its likely to tip on the nose.
                  Great flyer! Use the published Cg and you dont need expo. I did add about 6oz of lead to the nose.

Comment

I just picked up this Flightline Spitfire 1600 from a club member who never flew it. Installed a Spektrum AR620 rx and now have to set it up on my DX9. After doing a search for rates in this forum it seems that many find the manual's high rates twitchy and fly on the recommended low rates. I typically set up high/mid/ low rates so I'm considering the following :

Ail Ele Rud Expo
                    High 100 100 100 35%
                    Mid 80 75 80 25%
                    Low 70 65 70 20%

I just maidened my 1600mm Spitfire yesterday and eventually settled on rates similar to davegee above. I used a three-position switch for taxi, take-off, and then flight rates. "Taxi" had A/E/R rates of 60/120/120, "Take-off" rates are 60/60/100, and "Flight" rates are 50/50/90. I initially had much higher rates on the elevator and boy did that make for some exciting take-offs: pitching up early, wing-stalling and barely recovering. This plane was much more sensitive to elevator, even at slow speeds, than I had imagined. Although I only barely escaped unscathed (this is my first warbird), it was fun dealing with asymmetric wing stalls for the first time -- keeps me on my toes.
                    Lands like a dream on our club's grass field. I let it settle down into a three-wheel landing (~50% throttle descent), as the grass was uneven and a bit chippy.

I need to look more at balancing as it felt very nose heavy in the air and on the ground. I have a 6000mAh Admiral battery in there and I initially had it as far forward as possible. I rode the elevator for that whole first flight, then trimmed it out a bit on the second flight.

Comment

• Argument against Dual rates and expo. If the premise is to make it a successful flight I argue all you are doing is making it more complicated. Real aircraft do not have expo or dual rates.
                      I spend many flights getting the cg correct and the adjusting the the throws so the model flys the way I perceive it should based on my experience as a pilot.
                      Against dual rates ... unless its a maiden.. otherwise adjust the controls so the airplane behaves in a manner you can handle. Feedback loop. How are you going to learn the airplane if you have 2 or 3 different control modes? Your not. Right now the Spit has enough elevator to depart at any speed. If i yank on it its departed. I am more than capable of handling that but if your not then dial back the elevator throws so it gets close to stall but wont go.
                      Dynamic pressure = .5xdensityxVel ^2... Velocity^2 is your expo. As you decel to land you want linear feedback from tx. If you cant see the decel you can feel it. If you have 25% expo you are not getting linear input to the elevator. Somewhere in the flare or approach there is non linear input. Flight controls systems are linear in a static and dynamic stable airplane.
                      I would make an effort to simplify your Tx switchology.. You want to have to reach for a dual rate switch when your battery all of a sudden starts to die on you?
                      If the controls are too sensitive the adjust the throws down until it flys like trainer or whatever your skill level is. Dont use expo and dual rates to solve the twitchy bird syndrome.
                      There is zero reason to have 3 dual rate for any airplanes that FW sells. Simplify your set up . Set it to where it flys to your skill level then dont mess with it. As you build time with the model and want more responsiveness then add control throws. Keep you hand eye coordination linear.

Comment

• Originally posted by barneyb View Post
                        Argument against Dual rates and expo. If the premise is to make it a successful flight I argue all you are doing is making it more complicated. Real aircraft do not have expo or dual rates.

Blah blah blah
                        Fly your planes how you want and let others fly like they want.

Comment

• I like to fly scale avoiding maneuvers the real plane could never do, so I usually settle on mid-rates with some adjustments after the maiden and a few more flights. I also usually reduce expo to around 10% just to minimize the effect of slight off-axis stick movements. Works for me.

Comment

Argument against Dual rates and expo. If the premise is to make it a successful flight I argue all you are doing is making it more complicated. Real aircraft do not have expo or dual rates.
                            I spend many flights getting the cg correct and the adjusting the the throws so the model flys the way I perceive it should based on my experience as a pilot.
                            Against dual rates ... unless its a maiden.. otherwise adjust the controls so the airplane behaves in a manner you can handle. Feedback loop. How are you going to learn the airplane if you have 2 or 3 different control modes? Your not. Right now the Spit has enough elevator to depart at any speed. If i yank on it its departed. I am more than capable of handling that but if your not then dial back the elevator throws so it gets close to stall but wont go.
                            Dynamic pressure = .5xdensityxVel ^2... Velocity^2 is your expo. As you decel to land you want linear feedback from tx. If you cant see the decel you can feel it. If you have 25% expo you are not getting linear input to the elevator. Somewhere in the flare or approach there is non linear input. Flight controls systems are linear in a static and dynamic stable airplane.
                            I would make an effort to simplify your Tx switchology.. You want to have to reach for a dual rate switch when your battery all of a sudden starts to die on you?
                            If the controls are too sensitive the adjust the throws down until it flys like trainer or whatever your skill level is. Dont use expo and dual rates to solve the twitchy bird syndrome.
                            There is zero reason to have 3 dual rate for any airplanes that FW sells. Simplify your set up . Set it to where it flys to your skill level then dont mess with it. As you build time with the model and want more responsiveness then add control throws. Keep you hand eye coordination linear.
                            Aman brother, I tell many members and my students that dual rates is leftover from the 72mhz days, set up you throws and dial in expo till you have a one to one movement, I want 100% of the movement when I need it.
                            AMA 424553

Comment

• Huh? What’s the difference between 72 and 2.4 for dual rates and expo.

And just because a “real” plane doesn’t have it we shouldn’t? I guess we should put hydraulics in our planes if the “real” one has it??? I’m with John, I’ll do my planes how I like, thank you.

Comment

• Why be disconnecting and putting linkages back on and off over and over again to get the plane to fly good without dual rates and expo, when you could do it in the TX? Just disconnect and put the linkages on to level the control surfaces when you first put the plane together, and then use the technology in the TX's to make the plane fly good.

Comment

• Well... Proper mechanical advantage to get the most out of the torque and travel AND resolution the servo has.

Why do a range check, just fly the plane close in and hope. Why balance the aircraft when the control surfaces can correct for it?

Oh, and why worry about the servo arm placement/ alignment when you have subtrim?

Sorry, got off track there....

Comment

Sorry, there are two things wrong with your theory. First, we humans feel the controls pretty much the same as in a man-carrying a/c. In other words an inch is an inch is an inch. So an 1/8" input on full size is a 1/48" on a 1/6 scale model. Pretty hard to feel that with no back pressure and only the spring. If you don't tone down you end up having more throw per feel in the model. If you don't add expo, you won't have enough on the ends.

Also, a model has built in negative expo from the start. You have to add (depending) about 10 to 20% just to get back to linear. I'd show you the diagram, but I'm sure you're OK with pulling it up outta curiosity.

But, then again, like Evan said, fly like ya want!
                                    Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Fly your planes how you want and let others fly like they want.
                                      Exactly

Comment

• Personally, I sit behind my airplane and move the controls. If I'm getting movement from, say the elevator when moving the ailerons, I'll dial in expo until I don't. 68 year old tendons don't react like 24 year olds. Using my natural movement I want the plane to react properly. Your plane should be set up so you can happily enjoy the flight. People complain that an airplane is difficult to fly or a piece of doo doo when the problem lays in the set up.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• I hear ya Gman. At 76 nothing works quite as well as it did when I was 30. Tis why I use a bit of expo and play the senior tees.

Comment

Working...
                                          X