X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    kallend it is a great scale feature and quite cleverly done. My congrats, Sir. I am certain not many folks even know this was a thing. I had written some time back, we should start an Arduino Thread, but there doesn't seem to be much interest here. I still believe it is something that could become popular once members were exposed to its potential, if just for lighting. Regardless, nicely executed project. Best, LB
    Have you seen my do-it-yourself afterburners for EDFs?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWvH...el=JohnKallend

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eDpmZlzUuT8

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
      Have you seen my do-it-yourself afterburners for EDFs?
      Indeed I have and I must tell you I am liking the "flicker" feature most. It's about the sensation, right? The flicker is atmospheric mostly, but my eye sees it, so it is real for me.

And yes, I want to build it; however, I would understand if this one is a proprietary secret.

Frankly, that is one of the reasons I bought my starter kit. I had differing lighting setups in my Hornet requiring differing voltages and sequencing.
      I wanted to control those with a light weight single source.
      The OEM part, the now 'infamous' Blue Box', had had several issues and did not handle different voltages.
      In the end, I did not use my Arduino to resolve the systems, but I will go back to it after I finish the Corsair.

Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Indeed I have and I must tell you I am liking the "flicker" feature most. It's about the sensation, right? The flicker is atmospheric mostly, but my eye sees it, so it is real for me.

And yes, I want to build it; however, I would understand if this one is a proprietary secret.

Frankly, that is one of the reasons I bought my starter kit. I had differing lighting setups in my Hornet requiring differing voltages and sequencing.
        I wanted to control those with a light weight single source.
        The OEM part, the now 'infamous' Blue Box', had had several issues and did not handle different voltages.
        In the end, I did not use my Arduino to resolve the systems, but I will go back to it after I finish the Corsair.

Best, LB
        Not at all proprietary - I give the code and instructions away for free. See my blog on RCGroups.

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          Much appreciated. I will take a look. Would you be willing to start an Arduino Thread here at the Squawk?
          Possibly, make some recommendations of your own or other tutorials.
          My knowledge is limited to my own trial and error with a starter set. Just thinking out loud as it were.

• Hi everyone

Im trying to put on the fuselage decals and having a very hard time

The vinyl decals went on fine...

The waterslide decals, I understand how they work...

but the fuselage decals...like the light green stripe that goes at the back before the tail...wont come off the plastic when I peel it

Can someone post a procedure for the application of the transfer decals ...I`ve tried pressure...I`ve tried a heat gun...I`m stumped at how you can get a professional application with these....there is nothing in the manual about it and not much on YouTube about it

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by ontario View Post
          Hi everyone

Im trying to put on the fuselage decals and having a very hard time

The vinyl decals went on fine...

The waterslide decals, I understand how they work...

but the fuselage decals...like the light green stripe that goes at the back before the tail...wont come off the plastic when I peel it

Can someone post a procedure for the application of the transfer decals ...I`ve tried pressure...I`ve tried a heat gun...I`m stumped at how you can get a professional application with these....there is nothing in the manual about it and not much on YouTube about it

Thanks
          Welcome to the club.

The decals do not match the quality of the rest of the model.

Comment

• ok...I got the decals to work

I`m posting here so another poor soul does not have to lose sleep over this

this video shows you the general idea of how to do it......BUT..... the decals with the spitfire don't want to come off the plastic easily...so you have to use a hobby knife/exacto blade to pic the corner of the decal loose from the plastic film and help it stick to the surface......once you do get it started carefully pull the film back while using the side of the knife or thin tool to stick the decal to the surface as you pull the film back...take your time and pull the plastic back carefully or you will distort the decal as they are very thin....this is not a fast process if you want good results take your time

I tucked the letters under the rondel plastic so all the letters and rondel were one big decal that were lined up and went on together perfectly

This video is also helpfull

Comment

• Just a couple of questions re the build.
              Are you guys putting your receiver underneath in the wing bay ? If I’m going to remove the wing each time for transport, that means plugging and unplugging every time the aileron,gear and flaps into the receiver. Are you guys using extension leads so as not to keep plugging/unplugging into the receiver?
              cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                Just a couple of questions re the build.
                Are you guys putting your receiver underneath in the wing bay ? If I’m going to remove the wing each time for transport, that means plugging and unplugging every time the aileron,gear and flaps into the receiver. Are you guys using extension leads so as not to keep plugging/unplugging into the receiver?
                cheers
                I use a single "multi servo" connector. There are lots available, just google "multi servo connector".

Comment

• 👍👍

Comment

• Flying off rough grass is hard on the landing gear. I have put some 3DP part files (scissors, brackets, gear doors) for the gear legs on Thingiverse:

Miscellaneous plastic parts for the Fliteline 1600mm Spitfire. The wheel/leg door is for one side - you will need to make a mirror image for the other side. The upper screw boss is separate for ease of printing, just CA it into the recess in the door. if you use PLA then you can bend the gear door in hot water to exactly fit the contour of your wing (which is more than can be said of the stock door). The mirror has a redundant piece to support it during printing. This was needed on my inexpensive printer

Comment

AC, Crack-on, indeed, Sir. Any plans for a repaint? The OEM liveries are quite good, though. Best, LB
                      I did repaint mine. It's in the Jan Zumbach of 303rd polish squadron scheme (yes, I know that it was mk.Vb originally :) ).

Comment

• Paint or just decals?

Comment

• WOW , just completed everything and this model looks fantastic. So good that I almost don’t want risk spoiling it by flying it !
                          I have a couple of Admiral 4500s and a couple of 5000s, would about 8 mins flight time seem reasonable?
                          I haven’t used Y leads like some people and am still using the blue box….hope I’m not going to regret it 😢

Comment

• You'll have no regrets, it flies even better than it looks. The only thing you'll spoil is wearing out the tires flying it so much!

Comment

• Originally posted by mszulen View Post

I did repaint mine. It's in the Jan Zumbach of 303rd polish squadron scheme (yes, I know that it was mk.Vb originally :) ).
                              I like your repaint. I've seen pictures of this plane before in books.

I did a likeness of Witold "Lanny" Lanowski's aircraft with 302 Sqdn before he moved over to fly P-47s with the 56th Fighter Group in England. His son Krys still lives in England and I got some help from him on how his dad's plane looked while attached to the RAF. Great flyer, I've had this plane going on 6 years. Flew it yesterday, in fact.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1145.jpgadjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	353019Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1144.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.6 KB ID:	353020

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

The "unit" is just an Arduino (pretty much any one, I used a Nano Every for testing and a cheaper Pro Mini ($7) for the installed one, a AO3400 MOSFET for the switch*, and a 22ohm resistor for current limiting. Total cost came to around $10 and weight around 10 grams.

* $8.95 for 100 from Amazon
                                Just to review - this is a pretty easy Arduino project, you can create up to 100 of your own messages to send out in Morse code, and I'll supply the code for free, on request.

The guys at my club who are radio hams are having a ball decoding the messages.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  Paint or just decals?
                                  Decals and paint. I wanted to paint everything but didn't have enough motivation :) IIt was also beaten a little bit, because I've got mine second hand from Stuart from Motion RC Europe (it was the model he used for the review/promo video for Motion RC). Also, because of this, I have 2 sets of wirngs (original and clipped). I've been flying it like 3 years ago or so and then it was sitting on the shelf. Now, it's time to re-introduce it to the air :)

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I like your repaint. I've seen pictures of this plane before in books.

I did a likeness of Witold "Lanny" Lanowski's aircraft with 302 Sqdn before he moved over to fly P-47s with the 56th Fighter Group in England. His son Krys still lives in England and I got some help from him on how his dad's plane looked while attached to the RAF. Great flyer, I've had this plane going on 6 years. Flew it yesterday, in fact.
                                    Wow! It's nice to have a direct connection to the piece of history.
                                    I only read about Zumbach in his (and other's) books. He had a very interesting life. After being forgotten by the UK (like other polish pilots), he became a smuggler and also a "creator" or the air forces in Africa. His biography reads as an action book ("On wings of war : my life as a pilot adventurer")

Comment

• Originally posted by mszulen View Post

Wow! It's nice to have a direct connection to the piece of history.
                                      I only read about Zumbach in his (and other's) books. He had a very interesting life. After being forgotten by the UK (like other polish pilots), he became a smuggler and also a "creator" or the air forces in Africa. His biography reads as an action book ("On wings of war : my life as a pilot adventurer")
                                      I'm glad you commemorated the life and times of Jan Zumbach with your airplane. The Poles were a tough as nails group, fearsome in combat, to be sure. Another one that comes to mind is Boleslaw "Mike" Gladych who also did a stint as "guests" of the American 56th Fighter Group in England, a top P-47 outfit. Mike barely escaped the Nazis with his life out of Poland at the beginning of WWII, and his family was murdered by them. He wouldn't take credit for a "kill" unless he was certain that he had killed the enemy pilot. After the war he became a psychologist for many years out of the Seattle area, living into his 90s. I have an autographed picture of him sitting in his P-47, given to me by his former wingman, Russ Kyler that is one of my prized possessions.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I'm glad you commemorated the life and times of Jan Zumbach with your airplane. The Poles were a tough as nails group, fearsome in combat, to be sure. Another one that comes to mind is Boleslaw "Mike" Gladych who also did a stint as "guests" of the American 56th Fighter Group in England, a top P-47 outfit. Mike barely escaped the Nazis with his life out of Poland at the beginning of WWII, and his family was murdered by them. He wouldn't take credit for a "kill" unless he was certain that he had killed the enemy pilot. After the war he became a psychologist for many years out of the Seattle area, living into his 90s. I have an autographed picture of him sitting in his P-47, given to me by his former wingman, Russ Kyler that is one of my prized possessions.
                                        True, they were very determined and efficient. The sad thing was, that their own country have treatened them as traitors and enemies of new political system after the war. If they come back to Poland, they would be imprisoned (like some of them), thus they choose to stay in the UK, USA or, like Zumbach, go and find their place somewhere else. Another fighter ace (Stanislaw Skalski) died in powerty in Poland.....
                                        But I guess, we stole the topic of this thread with our bit of history :)

Btw, I've put my Spit on the marketplace on facebook if someone is interested (Netherlands and close surrounding - pickup - rather than shipping it anywhere)

Comment

Working...
                                        X