First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dobbin View Post
    Hi all. Am new here...
    DB, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Glad to have you onboard. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I really enjoying flying the Spitfire 1600. Only complaint is I have to install and remove the wing for transport and it's difficult to connect/disconnect the strobe light 2 wire connector in the fuselage to the blue box in the wing as it's a bit short. An extension would make it easier. Anybody use the Bancroft Extension Lead 20cm - Futaba Type Plug from Motion https://www.motionrc.com/products/ba...g-bnc5076-001?

Comment

• That is just a regular old servo extension with on wire removed. You can easily make a light extension from any extension. Take a dremel and grind off the signal side on the female side that goes to the MCBe blue box. Just snip the signal wire at the other end. The stock female side from the wing will go into the male side even left with all three pins.

Comment

• Thanks Evan. Actually, the few servo extensions I have are already in use in other planes. Since I have to order anyway, I might as well order the Bancroft 2 wire assuming it works.

Comment

• You'll have to do the same trimming as any other extension, note it has the three pin plugs... Maybe getting this? At least its the proper thing ready made.

Freewing 80mm EDF L-39 Albatros LED Light Set [FJ2151113] Motion RC

Or a bunch of extensions and make the lighting extension out of one and have spare extensions? Motion charges shipping for small orders and Amazon may not??

Amazon.com: 18Pcs 3-Pin JR Servo Extension Cable,1 JR Male to 2/3 Female JR Y Harness Servo Cable & 3.93" 5.9" 11.8" JR Extension Wire for RC Cars Trucks Airplanes Servo Receiver Connection,5 Styles : Toys & Games

Not sure where you are located but I could make you one for a dollar to cover post and gas...

Comment

• Fine with me. I'm an assembler not a builder so I don't have a dremel. I live in Pocono Pines, Pa. We can exchange PMs through Hobby Squawk with emails and mailing addresses and I can mail you payment?

Comment

• PM incoming. You don't have to have a dremel but it help...

Originally posted by ICM View Post
                Fine with me. I'm an assembler not a builder so I don't have a dremel. I live in Pocono Pines, Pa. We can exchange PMs through Hobby Squawk with emails and mailing addresses and I can mail you payment?

Comment

• Sent you a PM

Comment

• Tried to reply but unsure if it worked. Re the light strobe I used a 2 pin Dupont male to female lead as seems identical to the one in the spit

Comment

• ICM, it's in the mail. Posting on here as the PM system on this forum is a bit odd. Don't mail me any money, the postage now is crazy... Merry Christmas!

Comment

• Much appreciated Evan. Your kindness is only exceeded by your generosity

Comment

• Well, I guess no one made the Morse code flasher for the fuselage LED. Seems like a good project for a rainy day.

Comment

• Morse code signaling lamp. It randomly selects one of several messages and sends it out, waits a while, and sends another.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

• kallend My morse is a bit rusty, so was that a large, one topping pepperoni with extra cheese? Love it, Bro. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Hi Grintotuerto,
                                Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately we're not going to be providing a two blade prop/spinner for this aircraft for a couple of reasons. First, the two blade options for our other FlightLineRC aircraft don't sell well; even spread out across several models, the cost of the same motor for those 1200mm warbirds is still high from a mass production standpoint. This big 1600mm Spitfire already requires one all new motor for the four blade option, and the prospect of investing in an all new two blade motor on top of that just wasn't in the cards from a financially responsible standpoint. We wouldn't be able to order enough of them to keep the price acceptable for the majority.

The other reason why we aren't offering a faster setup is simply because this Spitfire is big, and bigger requires more power to get going appreciably faster. The large wingspan also required a thicker wing, which in turn made it even harder to squeeze out pure speed due to drag. In the testing phase last Spring, we tested different propellers, four blade and two blade, that varied the airspeed between 60mph and up to 100mph. To be honest, between 70mph-85mph the bird looks the same in the air due to its size. So, we stepped back and asked ourselves what was the primary goal of this specific aircraft, which was to be a large, scale warbird that would fly like a scale warbird for a good amount of time at a good price with a scale four bladed propeller. With all those factors in consideration, 75mph turned out to be the sweet spot in terms of amps, flight duration, weight, scale factor, and cost. The 95mph setups were very high amp setups and the flight time was closer to a 3 minute jet, which we felt went against our intention for a big warbird. Even a prototype 8s system wasn't appreciably faster, yet the cost jumped. I'm sure someone here will try it, which would be great, it's just not a mass market kind of setup.

Ryan and Mike will be shooting their flight video later this month. I'd encourage everyone to watch those videos to get a better sense of the aircraft's performance than a single level speed figure. This Spitfire has big vertical, can fly five consecutive 300 foot loops (thrusty!), and is a gentle *****cat, which we thought would open up the potential audience more widely than if we overspent for a two bladed 8s powered speed demon with higher wing loading, a thinner flimsier wing, and faster landing speeds.

I hope this information helps!

Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	76608
                                Could you tell me what esc motor and prop you used when testing the 8s setup please?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  ICM, it's in the mail. Posting on here as the PM system on this forum is a bit odd. Don't mail me any money, the postage now is crazy... Merry Christmas!
                                  Arrived yesterday. Fits and works perfectly. Thanks agiain

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                    kallend My morse is a bit rusty, so was that a large, one topping pepperoni with extra cheese? Love it, Bro. Best, LB

Not sure which message it was (the program randomly chooses from a bunch, some are rude suggestions to Hiter or Goering). I got fed up with typing in text but the Arduino memory can probably hold 100+ messages up to 140 characters each. After 6 minutes the message "lets go back to Biggin for tea" is sent. (Biggin Hill was a WW2 RAF fighter station just southeast of London).

It's a pretty easy project for anyone familiar with Arduino, and I'd be pleased to send the code to anyone interested.

Comment

• kallend it is a great scale feature and quite cleverly done. My congrats, Sir. I am certain not many folks even know this was a thing. I had written some time back, we should start an Arduino Thread, but there doesn't seem to be much interest here. I still believe it is something that could become popular once members were exposed to its potential, if just for lighting. Regardless, nicely executed project. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                        kallend it is a great scale feature and quite cleverly done. My congrats, Sir. I am certain not many folks even know this was a thing. I had written some time back, we should start an Arduino Thread, but there doesn't seem to be much interest here. I still believe it is something that could become popular once members were exposed to its potential, if just for lighting. Regardless, nicely executed project. Best, LB
                                        I have been "schooled" on this light that adorns the spine of the Spitfire. From the beginning when I got mine over 5 years ago, I just assumed it was a MRC added flashing light to help the pilot keep his plane in sight. I had no idea of its true scale meaning!

I, for one, would like some more information on the unit that allows Morse code messages to flash out of this light. If someone could direct me to more info on it, I'd like to see it. Well done, Kallend!!

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I have been "schooled" on this light that adorns the spine of the Spitfire. From the beginning when I got mine over 5 years ago, I just assumed it was a MRC added flashing light to help the pilot keep his plane in sight. I had no idea of its true scale meaning!

I, for one, would like some more information on the unit that allows Morse code messages to flash out of this light. If someone could direct me to more info on it, I'd like to see it. Well done, Kallend!!

davegee
                                          The "unit" is just an Arduino (pretty much any one, I used a Nano Every for testing and a cheaper Pro Mini ($7) for the installed one, a AO3400 MOSFET for the switch*, and a 22ohm resistor for current limiting. Total cost came to around $10 and weight around 10 grams.

* $8.95 for 100 from Amazon

Comment

Working...
                                          X