Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I managed to lose the radio mast from my Spit, so I 3D printed a replacement. I posted the STL file on Thingiverse:

Miscellaneous plastic parts for the Fliteline 1600mm Spitfire. The wheel/leg door is for one side - you will need to make a mirror image for the other side. The upper screw boss is separate for ease of printing, just CA it into the recess in the door. if you use PLA then you can bend the gear door in hot water to exactly fit the contour of your wing (which is more than can be said of the stock door). The mirror has a redundant piece to support it during printing. This was needed on my inexpensive printer

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
      I managed to lose the radio mast from my Spit, so I 3D printed a replacement. I posted the STL file on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5460521
      Kallend, great design and thank you for making it available to all. Best, Steve
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I went old school and used a tongue depressor ( ice cream stick) and carved it down, they are the correct thickness. A little work with a knife and nail file an she's good.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Maiden flight completed successfully but I had a few heart stopping moments. In profile I find the Spitty a bit hard to see and at one point it was going away from me with strongish tailwind instead of towards me and I nearly lost it ! 🙀
          About 4 flights now and a couple of times(on grass) it’s tipped on it’s nose after touchdown, slightly worried about damaging the tail.
          Blimey, loads of power ! Almost too much and it goes vertical like a homesick angel.
          Had to put in quite a bit of aileron trim to stop it constantly rolling to the left, presume that’s something to do with the propeller torque ?
          Nice and docile and once I learn how to stop it tipping on its nose Im going to enjoy it 😀

Comment

• Loving it 😊 , the engine is so quiet. Can anybody recommend a decent merlin sound system ?

Comment

• Make the sound with your mouth when it's passing by . Just joking.

Comment

• Ok I’ll give it a go, cheaper option !

Comment

• I have a mr RC sound in mine on sound Home which says it's a Lycoming. To me this one sounded the best of the available sounds even though one is a Merlin.

MrRCSound Sound System V4.1 With TT-25 For RC Planes [MRS001] Motion RC

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                  Loving it 😊 , the engine is so quiet. Can anybody recommend a decent merlin sound system ?

Comment

• I have an ESS-AIR Sense Sound system (you find it on bang or Ali for 80 bucks, 2 speakers included). I guess it's not that loud than the MRC but is OK for the price. The 2 speakers are in the under-wing radiators and give a very efficient reverb in flight, though fades away beyond about 100-150 m, depending of the position of the plane. Have a look on the ground in this video.

Comment

• 👍

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                        Loving it 😊 , the engine is so quiet. Can anybody recommend a decent merlin sound system ?
                        I have the Mr. RC Sound system in my Spitfire with 2 transducers and have it set on the Merlin sound. The Lycoming sound also comes on the card if you like that one better. I installed the older V 4.1 card instead of the newer Aspire because it fit in my location better being slightly smaller. The video below is just on the sound system. Also suggest you put a heat sink on each transducer for better longevity (seen in the video).

Also have the Mr. RC Sound system Aspire board in my B-24, Corsair, 1700mm P-51, P2 BiPlane (Lycoming sound) as well as in my 60" Beast (although that is wood and monokote-still sounds OK but this works best on Foam-you can hear it here: https://youtu.be/rldyf20XQUY Go to 1:48 to the end to hear the sound best). I just finished an Extreme Flight FW 190-A Red Tulip and installed the Model Sound System with 2 - 3" speakers which sounds exceptional, along with a 13mm gun and 20mm cannon but have yet to do a video on that, but coming soon. Their system is outstanding, but won't fit in many smaller planes without major surgery. The 4" speakers are best, and are actually lighter than the 3" speakers (which are also waterproof making them heavier) but unfortunately I couldn't fit 2 - 4" speakers in the FW-190.

The Mr. RC Sound system also has guns and other sounds programmed in if you have enough extra channels. Heard the ESS-AIR system is nice also, but have yet to try it out. Model Sounds also makes a board and transducer system for foamies, but have not tried those out.

The Aspire Board and 2 transducers in my Corsair with the Double Wasp Sound can be heard in this video (go to 2:00 to the end to hear it the best): https://youtu.be/j0L-1N0koNg
                        Or this one just on the Corsair Sound only: https://youtu.be/r4DPjE9gaNc

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          I have a mr RC sound in mine on sound Home which says it's a Lycoming. To me this one sounded the best of the available sounds even though one is a Merlin.

MrRCSound Sound System V4.1 With TT-25 For RC Planes [MRS001] Motion RC

I also have the MrRC system (Aspire version) with two transponders, and not very keen on the Merlin sound. It's deafening in my basement but seems too quiet at the flying field.

Comment

• I have a Freewing P51 with the stock sound system in it. I've used the sound system maybe twice in flight, I'm so used to the quietness of electric that I find the sound distracting. Make sure that's not the case with you before investing. I've often wondered why they couldn't come up with something like a CD to put in a Boom Box that you stand beside and a sensor in the airplane that turns the volume up on the Boom Box as the airplane gets closer. Much more realistic and less weight in the airplane. I found the same as many guys have, that the thing is screaming in the basement, but outside and 100 feet away, you can't hear it.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• My Spitfire on slow flyby at DDMAC field warbirds event today, complete with Sept 1940 skies
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire landing at DDMAC.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	356567

Name:	Spitfire at Warbirds.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	356568

Comment

• and for the real thing at Duxford today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMv5PKShssY

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                                  and for the real thing at Duxford today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMv5PKShssY
                                  Very nice. From 1971-77 I lived in Sawston, just 4 miles from Duxford.

I was living in Cambridge when the movie Battle of Britain was being filmed, and we would see the planes flying over regularly that summer. They blew up one of the Duxford hangars for the movie, which caused a lot of irritation to the historians.

Comment

• Don't forget Battle of Britain Day is Sept 15, fly your Spitty in Commemoration.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      Don't forget Battle of Britain Day is Sept 15, fly your Spitty in Commemoration.

Grossman56
                                      I'll try to be there with my Mk. IX!

davegee

Comment

• I'll be taking my IX and XIV as well, had the XIV up today and she did well. It's the 1200mm E Flite Spitty that apparently they don't make any more.

Name:	IMG_8839.jpg
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	356678
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                          I'll be taking my IX and XIV as well, had the XIV up today and she did well. It's the 1200mm E Flite Spitty that apparently they don't make any more.

Name:	IMG_8839.jpg
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	356678
                                          Cool! I hope we can meet out there on Thursday!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                          X