Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never met my uncle Clyde. When I was a youngster my uncle Don saw my collection of model airplanes and my interest in WW2 air war history, he told me that his brother was killed having been shot down in a bombing mission over Germany. Don didn’t know what type of bomber his older brother was killed in but knew he was a gunner. A couple years I googled his name and was surprised to find his info. Clyde, 19, was the ball turret gunner on a B-17G, hit by AAA on 26, December 1944, seconds after closing it’s bomb bay doors. I hope they follow this B-24 with a B-17, I would love to have it in his honor.
    Happy thanksgiving everyone.
    The Fields of Honor - Database honors over 48,000 U.S. World War II soldiers buried in and memorialized at the American War Cemeteries Ardennes, Epinal, Henri-Chapelle, Lorraine, Luxembourg and Margraten.

Comment

• Was.... was what?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
        Was.... was what?
        Sorry...posted before I finished, had to go back and edit.

Comment

• We had a request for a Canadian scheme, so here it is! Reluctant Dragon....this ex-Indian Air Force B-24M was delivered to the Canadian National Aeronautical Collection. It still carries the serial, code and "Flying Dragon" badge of No.6 Squadron from its Indian Air Force days but also carries Royal Canadian Air Force Insignia.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Click image for larger version

Name:	b-24 RELUCTANT dragon.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	105050

Comment

• Originally posted by petefoss View Post

Assuming the kit is similar to the one I built 25 years ago, yes. I think you could put a speed control and battery pack in each nacelle. If you buy the kit and the thermoformed parts suck like mine did, let me know. I cast Dunham's water putty in the parts I received and created new molds.

Pete
            Generally, you can stick in the right size battery for E-power where the fuel tank for glow "belongs"
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Now I am lost the B-17 on sale was just ready to purchase and then this shows up. I need a second job

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

TJ, I recently became a CD with the AMA and desire to help promote things such as this. Where could I find out more about it and how could I help fight for your cause? I am a member of two clubs in my area. One may soon be losing its field to a solar farm and the other just got a brand new paved runway. I am already looking to run an EDF event next year and have been thinking about what else I would like to do.
                Congrats on going for CD. Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll PM later on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Callie Graphics View Post
                  We had a request for a Canadian scheme, so here it is! Reluctant Dragon....this ex-Indian Air Force B-24M was delivered to the Canadian National Aeronautical Collection. It still carries the serial, code and "Flying Dragon" badge of No.6 Squadron from its Indian Air Force days but also carries Royal Canadian Air Force Insignia.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Click image for larger version  Name:	b-24 RELUCTANT dragon.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	105050
                  Sweet, thanks eh.

Intagram, YouTube, RCAfterhours

Comment

• Originally posted by eli5539 View Post
                    Now I am lost the B-17 on sale was just ready to purchase and then this shows up. I need a second job
                    Well, it looks like the decision was made for you as the B-17 is now out of stock. ;)
                    Pat

Comment

• I woke up early just to wait for the announcement yesterday. I was not disappointed! I ordered two - a silver one and a green one! I have already started on my bomb bay door mod although I am flying blind on measurements! It should not affect my prototype though.

My sincere thanks to Alpha and the entire MotionRC group for pulling this off! You guys just keep raising the bar!

Bob

Comment

• Thanks, Bob! It's guys like you that make me so grateful for my job. Speaking of which, it's almost 3am here, but what the heck, I'll post those bomb bay measurements so you can get started.

Here is a side view showing the main chamber. Scale the measuring tape to determine the measurements of the other spaces:

Name:	IMG_20170901_173710.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	105092

Here's the depth at the upper part of the chamber:

Name:	IMG_20170901_173812.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	105091

Here's the height of the chamber before the lower fuse rapidly turns inward (boxcar shape):

Name:	IMG_20170901_173825.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	105093

Attached Files
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Lest anyone ever think our new product releases are reactionary to any external force, here are two photos of the final molded B-24 flying back on September 2, nearly three months ago. This bird, like many others, is ready months before we actually release it. There are many other forces at work. Patience pays.

Name:	IMG_20170902_144006.jpg
Views:	1215
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	105095

Name:	IMG_20170902_144316.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	105096

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                            Lest anyone ever think our new product releases are reactionary to any external force, here are two photos of the final molded B-24 flying back on September 2, nearly three months ago. This bird, like many others, is ready months before we actually release it. There are many other forces at work. Patience pays.

Name:	IMG_20170902_144006.jpg
Views:	1215
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	105095

Name:	IMG_20170902_144316.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	105096
                            I like the idea of the piano stand.

Comment

• Good day!

Name:	mmexport1511436505426.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	105101

Comment

Good day!

Name:	mmexport1511436505426.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	105101
                                Fab up some foam supports and you're all set.
                                Not helping me at all here Alpha ;)

Comment

• We couldn't put foam supports in the trunk this time, because the space between the B-24 and the trunk's ceiling was occupied by something else...

It's my pleasure to not be helping you, Andre ;) ;)

Comment

Thanks, Bob! It's guys like you that make me so grateful for my job. Speaking of which, it's almost 3am here, but what the heck, I'll post those bomb bay measurements so you can get started.

Here is a side view showing the main chamber. Scale the measuring tape to determine the measurements of the other spaces:

Name:	IMG_20170901_173710.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	105092

Here's the depth at the upper part of the chamber:

Name:	IMG_20170901_173812.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	105091

Here's the height of the chamber before the lower fuse rapidly turns inward (boxcar shape):

Name:	IMG_20170901_173825.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	105093
                                    Thanks Alpha! Your measurements will help a great deal! Thanks again. I appreciate your nice comments.

Bob

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Timbee! Thank YOU for your support!

Themudduck, we tested several props and motors for this aircraft. I talk about this a little in the podcast towards the end, skip to about the 2 hour mark, haha. Basically, the final prop is the best balance for this aircraft's size, weight, and interned flight enenvelope. It can fly more than four times faster than "scale top speed", yes, but it is still stable in slow flight, efficient in flight duration, with ample thrust to get out of sticky situations. We've flown it like a fighter for five minutes trying to clap the wings, and we've also left it at 50% throttle or less and windsurfed for ten minutes.

Flying with Tony's Apollo Warbird Squadron has been a privilege to appreciate designing a bomber that gives a bomber like flying experience --Slow, stable, and controlled. We just added a little pep in the B-24's power system, but not to where it killed the other handling factors. We're also anticipating some pilots adding 3D printed details, bomb bays, FPV gear, etc... So the stock power system can handle the extra weight and still fly confidently.

I hope this information helps. :)
                                      Thank you Alpha, I really appreciate your comments. I did listen to the entire podcast! I am certain that my Libby will be a great flyer just like the other MRC birds I have, and I know its because of all the careful consideration you and your team bring to the table. I'm not going to mess with trying to change the props until I have a bunch of flights under my belt - and its certainly likely that I'll decide that it isn't needed. I'm assuming that I'll be able to debut my Libby at the 5th annual NEF indoor event at Kent State University (Akron OH) in March. I wish I could convince MRC to participate in some way - so far I've only received the standard form letter rejections. But I'll invite all my friends, I already know of at least three of us who'll have this bird... and I'll send you a picture of our squadron if we pull it off. MAYBE THEN you'll "like" the NEF! HeeHeeHee:P

The NEF website (also on Facebook)

A video of me flying my B-36 indoors at the NEF venue two years ago. (Just under 10' wingspan, 4.5lbs, all foam, 6 "Blue Wonders" and 3-cell power.
                                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                        A video of me flying my B-36 indoors at the NEF venue two years ago. (Just under 10' wingspan, 4.5lbs, all foam, 6 "Blue Wonders" and 3-cell power.
                                        That was neat!

Comment

We couldn't put foam supports in the trunk this time, because the space between the B-24 and the trunk's ceiling was occupied by something else...

It's my pleasure to not be helping you, Andre ;) ;)
                                          oh great another teaser... well I better start making space again

Comment

Working...
                                          X