Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work Gman! :Cool:

Comment

• Thanks guys, she was on her wheels last night and was run through he paint shop today and the motor has been reinstalled. At present, she's in traction to get the red nose glued back into place. I had to go with the Red Tail landing gear doors, so they've been repainted from red to gray as well...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4339.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	191030Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4340.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.5 KB ID:	191031Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4341.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.7 KB ID:	191032Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4342.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	191033Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4343.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.6 KB ID:	191034

Once everything is dry, I can flip her back over on her gear. The new battery hatch is supposed to arrive today, that will complete it. I managed to save the decals and have one left, the forward tally count, to glue on. Fortunately, I bought spare props and spinners a couple of years ago so I wouldn't get stuck at Nefi without replacements.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Awesome.... Happy Easter Gman!!! :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Thanks Hardway, she should be born again tomorrow!
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Here she is out of traction and into the sunlight, well, just before the storm moves in:Whew:. The hatch arrived today and is a tight fit but does fit.
            The starboard side of the hatch rides a little high, did on the original one as well. The only one I could find was the Dallas Darling hatch, which is fine, a little paintwork and she'll look great. I think I'll keep the canopy bars silver though, call it a silver lining.
            She looks good but there is still some work to do, such as the motor mount is loose, so I'll have to pull the motor off and get into that. Still haven't tried any of the electronics as there didn't seem to be much of a point if the fuse and wings were not salvageable.
            Fortunately the paint covered the red gear doors with no problem...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4344.JPG Views:	0 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	191063Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4345.JPG Views:	0 Size:	164.4 KB ID:	191064Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4346.JPG Views:	0 Size:	166.2 KB ID:	191065Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4347.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	191066

I can't believe she's back in one piece, I'll have to do a resurrection picture of all the birds I have that have been pulled back to life. Tomorrow sounds like a great time for that!!:Cool:
            My buddy Ron, who was there when she augured in, will not believe its the same bird

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Definitely looks to be battle ready once again.. mighty fine work there, Grossman56! :Cool:
              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• HELLAVA job!

Comment

• Looks great!

Comment

• Way nice man, wish i had a fraction of your talent

Comment

• Great Job!

Comment

• Thanks guys, much appreciated. Just for the fun of it, I try to repair anything that augurs in, some are beyond me, but that really is the only way to learn, I've always said you learn to be an aircraft mechanic long before you learn to be a pilot.
                        Still working on the fit of the hatch, extremely tight so lots of sanding and trial fitting. Tried the electronics for the first time this morning, turns out the ESC was fried, no biggie, I had a spare 70A, so I swapped that out, the old one was an 85A, but still with the 650 kv and stock prop is should be good, someone will tell me if it isn't:Cool::Cool::)
                        Found out that one aileron servo isn't working and one flap was and then stopped, I suspect wiring so I'll get back into the wing at some point. In all honesty, this doesn't surprise me, I half expected something to be wrong in the electronics. I now have the Lemon 10 channel in her with the roller knob controlling the gyro which, btw, is glued down and will be taped and anything else I can think of before she sees air time again.
                        Rudder and elevator are working fine and I've yet to try the landing gear. I will after checking the wing wiring, hopefully they survived, but if not, I'll replace them. I had the CNC Smallparts aluminum outer parts on them so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• The OFFICAL Ressurection Birds video!!:Cool:Brought to you from Top Fun Headquarters!;):)LOL

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• News update!
                            While checking out the electronics, nothing on the port side wing worked and oh oh, that smell of burning wires. Pulled the plane apart and tested the servos with the servo tester. While unplugging the individual wires from the collector, I noticed that the base was fired, read melted. The aileron servo would not respond to the servo tester in fact made it blue line. So, I pulled out the servo and sure enough, fried right through as well! Lucky I didn't have an in flight fire.
                            So, the root cause to the accident, was not the gyro as originally thought, but a fried servo which fried the collector. Both parts should be here by the weekend.
                            So, this begs the question, as this is the second aileron servo I've replaced this year (read, "In the last month and a half.") how long can we expect a servo to last?? I know that these aren't high end servos, but I did replace all the servos with metal gear servos in Shangrila a few years back. Just wasn't expecting this and maybe I should have.
                            What's the rule of thumb on servo replacement:Thinking: and what is a better quality servo to use, any suggestions??

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• I've got planes that are many years old and many dozens of flights. The only ones that needed a servo replaced were ones that were dead out of the box.

Comment

• It appears that it is getting harder to locate retracts for the P40 one Horizon list them as not available any longer and Motion shows them out of stock. Is there a retract set of any other T plane that will work?

Comment

• If that's the case, try the FMS website.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    If that's the case, try the FMS website.

Grossman56
                                    Thank you Sir

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      If that's the case, try the FMS website.

Grossman56
                                      Once again thanks for the info, retracts were in stock at FMS site and I just ordered them :)

Comment

• Hi,
                                        I am new to this. I have the FMS 1400 P51 and would like some advise on how to get a bit more speed out of it. It seems a bit sluggish to me.
                                        Thanks Possum.

Comment

• Originally posted by possum View Post
                                          Hi,
                                          I am new to this. I have the FMS 1400 P51 and would like some advise on how to get a bit more speed out of it. It seems a bit sluggish to me.
                                          Thanks Possum.
                                          How much more punch do you really want? You can go all out and convert the plane to fly on 6 cells. Transplant the drivetrain from the FMS P-47. If you don't want to go that far, there are several other steps below that. One is putting in the motor from the P-40 and keep it 4S. You should still put in a bigger ESC.

Comment

Working...
                                          X