Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got out to field today and got 2 flights each in on my F-16, F-4, Stinger 90 and the Avanti. Changed the tail on the F-16 from my usual "Wild Weasel" scheme to the Wisconsin Fighter Wing for the first time and it had great visibility in the air. Will probably change the tail and nose cone to the Lone Star Gunfighters scheme next time out.

Would have liked to fly more but the wind by early afternoon turned into a blustery 15-20mph crosswind and our field was packed today as about 20 pilots turned out to practice for our IMAC event this Saturday and Sunday. It got difficult to get in the flight line and my jets looked like mosquito's compared to the big prop acrobats and the big jets (our IMAC this year will also have a category for jets-unusual, especially since the majority of them have gyros, which will be allowed for jets only).

Had an issue with my F-4, the elevator servo started coming loose, causing some erratic behavior, but managed to keep it from any "mishaps". Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_140206.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	237447

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_140318.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	237448
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I have been flying my new E-Flite Air-Tractor added some red and blue and high lighted the panel lines and added pin stripping I have put 2 1/2 hours on this plane. Received it Tuesday assembled and painted it on Wednesday and have went out yesterday and to day. Nice flying plane.
      I now have over 2 hours flying time on this plane and still getting use to it

Comment

• Had a great flight of my 91” Phoenix Models A-26 yesterday. I narrowly averted disaster though. As you can in the last few seconds of the video, I almost lost a motor... literally.

---
        Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
          Had a great flight of my 91” Phoenix Models A-26 yesterday. I narrowly averted disaster though. As you can in the last few seconds of the video, I almost lost a motor... literally.

Saw the Junkers maiden from this field just a moment ago. Looks like a great club!

Comment

• Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Saw the Junkers maiden from this field just a moment ago. Looks like a great club!
            Ah, the Seagull CL-1G. Nice little plane. I really like my club. Thanks. They’re a great group of guys.
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

• Went out in the cold today and put another hour on the Air-Tractor. Temp 28 degrees gusty wind 10 to 15 NNW playing with the flaps doing touch and go's, and cross controlling in the wind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6EmqJMrVLU&t=35s

Comment

• Beautiful mornin for a maiden.. got the new P-51 in the air today. I'm totally diggin this bird! Went with a 5000 50c, which is a little bigger, in size, then the recommended 30c. Had to modify the batt tray to accommodate, but was able to get the CG dialed in. Needed a few clicks up on on the elevator, but otherwise spot on.
                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Took the P-51(s) and the Corsair out this morning. The Corsair didn't do so well (Taps playin in the background). Thinking it was a servo failure.. still have yet to do an autopsy. Happened right after lift off. Not even time enough to 'gear up'. Sad day for Whistler's Brother. Dynam out... FlightLine next!
                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                    Took the P-51(s) and the Corsair out this morning. The Corsair didn't do so well (Taps playin in the background). Thinking it was a servo failure.. still have yet to do an autopsy. Happened right after lift off. Not even time enough to 'gear up'. Sad day for Whistler's Brother. Dynam out... FlightLine next!
                    Been there, done that. "Mishaps" are a part of this hobby. Sounds like it got airborne too soon and the wings stalled. The Flight Line will do the same if you lift off too soon, a characteristic of most Corsairs. In the photo it looks like the only damage is the fuselage split in half, might be repairable.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Been there, done that. "Mishaps" are a part of this hobby. Sounds like it got airborne too soon and the wings stalled. The Flight Line will do the same if you lift off too soon, a characteristic of most Corsairs. In the photo it looks like the only damage is the fuselage split in half, might be repairable.
                      I concur. Been there, done that. The big "torque roll of death".

Comment

• OUCH!!!! You know seems like we are all looking for that inevitable expiration date. I am always hoping it is later then the early ones. Not a matter of if, just a matter of when. The Corsair looks reparable though

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                          The Corsair looks reparable though
                          Absolutely! My last FMS 1700mm Corsair exploded on a high speed pass when the prop came apart. The shrapnel that came off it tore the whole plane apart. I picked up the dozens and dozens of little pieces from the horse pasture and took it home, with the intention of completely stripping it down for all the good parts. A friend was in the process of buying two of my jets when I showed him all the pieces. He just happened to have a barely flown Corsair. We came to a deal where he took my two jets and all the pieces of my busted Corsair (in a huge garbage bag) and he gave me his nearly new Corsair plus a little money. He took the busted plane home and over the next few weeks, he rebuilt it and brought it out for its re-maiden. I was stunned that it flew just as good as it did for me. I have yet to maiden the one he gave me. I don't have the talent or the patience to have rebuilt it, but there are people out there who can and that one of BD's is in far better shape than mine was.

Comment

• The autopsy report appears to be in agreement.. definitely looks to be rookie pilot error. As far as repairs go... well, thank the rc gods that my wife don't read this forum! "No honey, there's not enough glue in the world to repair it. I've gotta get the FlightLine version."
                            Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

The autopsy report appears to be in agreement.. definitely looks to be rookie pilot error. As far as repairs go... well, thank the rc gods that my wife don't read this forum! "No honey, there's not enough glue in the world to repair it. I've gotta get the FlightLine version."
                              My wife would have said, "Fix it! You ain't buying another one." That lasted about 1 minute before I swapped the busted one for the good one and still bought the Flightline one. I just never told her till it was all done.

Comment

• My most recent 3 plane acquisitions were holiday gifts from my wife. She gave me the Freewing 64mm F-22, and two Flite Test Speed Build Kits.

In fairness, I also encourage her hobbies. I twisted her arm to get her new embroidery machine for our anniversary this month.

Comment

The autopsy report appears to be in agreement.. definitely looks to be rookie pilot error. As far as repairs go... well, thank the rc gods that my wife don't read this forum! "No honey, there's not enough glue in the world to repair it. I've gotta get the FlightLine version."
                                  She’s a keeper for sure!

Comment

• After getting 8+" of snow last night and today. I just could not wait to test fly my new UMX Turbo Timber with floats on it. I should have checked the wind. Above the houses and other buildings the winds were 15 mph NNW, and I had to make my take off and landing East to West made it very interesting to say the least. This was the first test flight on the Timber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzy0pVjN_u4

Comment

After getting 8+" of snow last night and today. I just could not wait to test fly my new UMX Turbo Timber with floats on it. I should have checked the wind. Above the houses and other buildings the winds were 15 mph NNW, and I had to make my take off and landing East to West made it very interesting to say the least. This was the first test flight on the Timber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzy0pVjN_u4
                                      Congratulations on not hitting a light pole, the Walgreens, the Church, a tree, the neighbors house, a moving car or anyone unlucky enough to be walking by. Is it just me or did it look like there were plenty of moments that you had a near disaster. Let me know the next time you take it out so I can be sure to be several thousand miles away. Not sure that qualifies as an AMA or FAA sanctioned flight plan.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

After getting 8+" of snow last night and today. I just could not wait to test fly my new UMX Turbo Timber with floats on it. I should have checked the wind. Above the houses and other buildings the winds were 15 mph NNW, and I had to make my take off and landing East to West made it very interesting to say the least. This was the first test flight on the Timber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzy0pVjN_u4
                                        Alot of pucker factor in that flight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Congratulations on not hitting a light pole, the Walgreens, the Church, a tree, the neighbors house, a moving car or anyone unlucky enough to be walking by. Is it just me or did it look like there were plenty of moments that you had a near disaster. Let me know the next time you take it out so I can be sure to be several thousand miles away. Not sure that qualifies as an AMA or FAA sanctioned flight plan.
                                          I was thinking the same. In Canada, the UMX Turbo Timber falls under the weight limitation of 250g and as such, would be exempt from Transport Canada regulations, however, it would not be exempt from our city by-laws, which forbids flying over other peoples' property, over public sidewalks and roadways. I could, if I was talented enough, fly such a plane entirely over my own property or in large unoccupied parks within the city. I don't know if these would apply in the USA or in any specific locale.

Comment

Working...
                                          X