X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
    Congrats Peteflys! Hope I have the same results with my new one coming! :Cool:
    Ohhhh, I'm sure you will!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ken.swa@outlook.com View Post
      Here is my Blue Angels bird all glossed up. Just waiting on the afterburner mod to arrive and still need to paint the landing gear and inside of gear doors white. As I put this together and out in the decals, I am really blown away at the scale of this beautiful jet.
      Ok, I’ll be #4 to ask... Ken, we are loving that shine! What did you use to get such a gloss??

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
        Ok, I’ll be #4 to ask... Ken, we are loving that shine! What did you use to get such a gloss??
        I know, inquiring minds, right!? LOL

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• My guess is multiple coats of gloss polycrylic.
          Pat

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	image_42516.jpg Views:	7 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	204224 Thanks for the nose cone Wayne, I received it today.
            After a week of clear coating she is being Moched up. 3 coats. Here is the quiver of brushes...etc.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Lane View Post
              Thanks for the nose cone Wayne, I received it today.
              After a week of clear coating she is being Moched up. 3 coats. Here is the quiver of.brushes...etc.
              Wow, I did one coat and thought I was doing good, looks nice, way better than mine, oh well maybe I can go back and put another coat on it and see if I get a better shine, also maybe a better brush other than those cheap foamies??...:Cool:
              Attached Files

Comment

• Yes, I also went to Lowes and had them match it. Took a stab and a section of turtle deck. Ask the "paint professional" not to drop the sensing device onto the soft foam lest both pieces be dented - like mine were.

And the Minwax Polycrylic is foolproof, fine brush or foam and you'll get no brush marks. I've used it for years and it seems to help hold down graphics and keep the paint on the foam. Repairing crashed bits is not hampered by the coating, which essentially shatters on impact. It sands easily. The only caution I'd add is to coat, spray, brush your parts individually before assembly - this is urethane, essentially a glue. The material is water thin and will seep into crevices - you'll never get it apart to replace damaged ones without cussing and surgery.

All the best, Don
                Last edited by dawjr; Jul 3, 2019, 07:03 PM. Reason: speling

Comment

• Yes. Sound advice. It takes much longer but the hard work Freewing and the Motion team put into her deserves it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• I am such a rattle can nut that I am afraid to brush on any paint or protective coating for fear of the dreaded "squigglies" or imperfections that seem to creep up when using a brush. Unfounded? Give it a try? Some of these brushed results look much better than I would have thought.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• That reminds me of Machine gun jumblies for some reason....lol
                      After I researched for a few days I found that an alcohol preclean really does remove the surface tension. The dreaded grain really comes from going over the area more than twice. Its already tacked up and it just won't lay down. I thinned my quart with a few ounces of purified water to thin it just a bit.

A brand new foam brush is vital and actually the smallest one yielded the best results on the compound curves. I invested 12 bucks in a decent
                      Conventional brush, and found out that the 20 dollar ones hairs are actually split at the ends.
                      I used that on the bigger panels.

Keeping the room as cool as possible also helps let the substance lay out flat. Whereas soaking the Spray cans in hot water helps keep it from running and provides more pressure.

Making sure you use warm soapy water to clean the brushes also makes a diff. So as the foam is not crunchy, this will gouge the last coat. Starting with a new can and folding the clear upwards when stirring
                      will also make a diff. Tap it several times and let the bubbles dissipate for an hour or so. The main problem I have found is that pressing to hard just
                      causes issues period. Also, use a paper towel to squeeze out all of the water and wick it up from the brushes after cleaning. Any residual H20 will thin the clear and change the viscosity, this causes extra swiping and soon your blinking in Squiggly disbelief...lol

Oh...one more tip, if you get micro bubbles blow on them and the carbon dioxide will pop them !

Give it a try......

Comment

• Darkness falls on Alpha's Angel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Wow some great insight there, thank you!
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I am such a rattle can nut that I am afraid to brush on any paint or protective coating for fear of the dreaded "squigglies" or imperfections that seem to creep up when using a brush. Unfounded? Give it a try? Some of these brushed results look much better than I would have thought.
                            That's why someone invented airbrushes 🤡 An essential tool for any modeller. Makes the worst of n00bs look like a pro. Trust me, I would know 🙈
                            Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                              My guess is multiple coats of gloss polycrylic.
                              Another glossing option is Future/Pledge floor acrylic coating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                Ha! With a nice tail wind of 60mph I'm over 200!! :)

Lol touché

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Looks great Ken! What did you use to clear coat it? Spray or brush? How many coats?
                                  Thank you!! It is the spray, I put it on as thick as I can with out it running, 2 coats all the way around

Comment

Wow Ken, LOVE the quality of the gloss you put on yours, looks the part! What did you use?
                                    Thanks Aros!! It is the minwax Polycrylic high gloss spray. It is much easier to apply then the small cans and a paint brush as it doesn’t gunk up on the control surfaces. You do have to put it on a little thick almost to the point of running to get the extreme shine. Goes on fast, dries fast and so far does protect pretty well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

RCJD, Your modesty is noted, though your awards and kudos would suggest you are "that good". I like what you do, a bit of attitude combined with skills equals success IMO. I enjoy seeing what you do next. Works for me. Happy Independence Day to you and yours. Best, LB
                                      One of my friends told me I was arrogant!!! :Straight-Face: I told them with no hesitation.... I ain't bragg'n if you can do it!!!!!!!!!! Great job RCJD, and thank you Elbee for your service to our great country....

Comment

• Originally posted by ken.swa@outlook.com View Post
                                        Thanks Aros!! It is the minwax Polycrylic high gloss spray. It is much easier to apply then the small cans and a paint brush as it doesn’t gunk up on the control surfaces. You do have to put it on a little thick almost to the point of running to get the extreme shine. Goes on fast, dries fast and so far does protect pretty well.
                                        Alright, score one for us rattle can guys! LOL

That was what I was hoping as I use miniwax Polycrilic on my models all the time. Definitely will pick up the high gloss spray!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
                                          That's why someone invented airbrushes. An essential tool for any modeller. Makes the worst of n00bs look like a pro. Trust me, I would know 🙈
                                          I love what airbrushes can do. I have one but I have found it really tickles my laziness funnybone as I can't stand the clean up process. That's why I have still been using rattle cans primarily.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X