Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

How itvwas from the factory
    This is not a phrase you should take too seriously. How a model foamie plane comes out of the box is not an indication of how it should remain before flying it. Servos are more or less "centered" when installed at the factory (ie, arms on neutralized servos), then they manually shove them to one end or the other for packaging. When you "center" them again on a tester or in the plane, even the flap servos (by default) go to center. That's not where you should expect them to remain. You may need to "re-clock" the arm on the occasional servo, TX programming need to be done and rods need to be adjusted to the proper length to suit the job at hand. You don't use rods the way the come from the factory. You shouldn't necessarily use servos that way either.

Comment

My eflite f-16 is like this, if throttle cut is on and plug in the battery, then turn off throttle cut the fan will start spinning. Just know to calibrate the esc before ever first flight
      Just change your throttle cut to -100 instead of -130, recalibrate the ESC throttle range again (with cut off obviously), and this problem is gone permanently.
      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetman64 View Post

tg65
        you have those flap servos set up all wrong in my book. They should not be that far forward, their binding just trying to move.
        Those were my feelings exactly when I first saw that video. We've had long discussions about this and I think the problem is that he used it the way it came from the factory as the starting point. That meant, to dial in the needed flap deployment, the servo had to go to the end of it's travel. It needed the starting position re-programmed before starting the flap deployment programming so the servo doesn't have to work so close to its end point. It's easy to strip a tooth when working at the end of its travel.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          This is not a phrase you should take too seriously. How a model foamie plane comes out of the box is not an indication of how it should remain before flying it. Servos are more or less "centered" when installed at the factory (ie, arms on neutralized servos), then they manually shove them to one end or the other for packaging. When you "center" them again on a tester or in the plane, even the flap servos (by default) go to center. That's not where you should expect them to remain. You may need to "re-clock" the arm on the occasional servo, TX programming need to be done and rods need to be adjusted to the proper length to suit the job at hand. You don't use rods the way the come from the factory. You shouldn't necessarily use servos that way either.
          I did have to remove the servo and had to center the horn to the servo on factory servo

Click image for larger version  Name:	89AF66DD-7B22-4E90-8975-A2659A6F2006.png Views:	0 Size:	425.4 KB ID:	203396 Coming from Eflite planes, they have the % for flaps setup in the manual, starting from -100. The horn was always deflected close to end travel and commands would move it toward center. Applied this across the board bc I thought was right

attach is manual from viper
          Planes
          -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
          -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by duke View Post
            Aros your advise was GOOD! Madin wend good. BB box and everything worked as it should. The plane is a dream to fly and looks great in the air( Blue Angle).
            Well I love hearing that! Well done! :Cool:

My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Just change your throttle cut to -100 instead of -130, recalibrate the ESC throttle range again (with cut off obviously), and this problem is gone permanently.
              Thanks!
              It’s odd only doesn’t it to that one jet. Eflite Viper, F-15, Bae Hawk doesn’t do it
              Planes
              -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
              -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Like you said, this is a BIG plane and a high wing at that. I had the Carbon Z Cub years ago. If the new SS is anything like the old foamie Cub, it'll roll like a 300 lb pot belly pig. I dialed in even more AIL throw than what was recommended just so it would complete a roll before sun moved enough to cast my shadow in a different place. The same can be said of the big CZ T-28. They just don't roll very quickly. I think Horizon knew what they were doing with those recommended throws.
                You can program full span ailerons from the factory, just picked one up my self. Going to make my Maule look small.
                Planes

Comment

I did have to remove the servo and had to center the horn to the servo on factory servo

Click image for larger version Name:	89AF66DD-7B22-4E90-8975-A2659A6F2006.png Views:	0 Size:	425.4 KB ID:	203396 Coming from Eflite planes, they have the % for flaps setup in the manual, starting from -100. The horn was always deflected close to end travel and commands would move it toward center. Applied this across the board bc I thought was right

attach is manual from viper
                  I’ve found Eflite aircraft to be weird in some ways. You’ve also seen this with the throttle thing. I believe they are what they are because most of their planes (and quads , helis) are RTF or BNF and as such, their PNP models are set up the same. They were either already paired to a TX that comes with it or are expected to be paired to a Spektrum TX.

Comment

Don't you mean recalibrate without cut-off - this will define the low end-point by the ESC at -100%, with cut-off at -130% the throttle is definitely off.

If cut-off is defined as -100% in the transmitter, it's basically just throttle-override by switch to the calibrated endpoint? If the ESC is uncalibrated, it will still run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetman64 View Post
                      I just picked up the new E-flite Carbon Z Cub 2.1 SS. Their starting high/low on the ailerons are; 45mm high/ 40mm low. I’m not 3D flyer, but if you could see these settings as the ailerons move, you’d be like WHAT the!
                      I know it’s a big bird, but nobody should maiden a plane with those numbers in my opinion and that’s my 2 penny’s worth. 👨🏼*🔧
                      When that Carbon Z gets slow you will like those high aileron settings...

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Don't you mean recalibrate without cut-off - this will define the low end-point by the ESC at -100%, with cut-off at -130% the throttle is definitely off.

If cut-off is defined as -100% in the transmitter, it's basically just throttle-override by switch to the calibrated endpoint? If the ESC is uncalibrated, it will still run.
                        I meant exactly what I wrote. Figure that, ey?

For clarity, I wrote, and meant, that the calibration is obviously done with the throttle cut function turned OFF, as in not cut, as in throttle stick active between 100 and -100. This is obviously so regardless of what value you set your throttle cut level at. You need the stick active for calibration no matter what.

The purpose of having the cut be -100 and not -130 is well elaborated over the last couple pages, and strictly off topic here, so I suggest you go read instead of us keeping this track going.

Comment

• Well, if anyone is keeping score, I maidened mine this morning. Spektrum Dx9 with AR620 receiver connected to the Blue Box. If flew beautifully, no glitches, no hitches, nothing. 6 flights all together. My buddy filmed the maidened, just in case. He will try and post it soon, but nothing really to see. It takes off, makes a few circuits, and lands nicely, all with the wheels down. I put the wheels up on the second flight. It is pretty fast for my eyes, so I kept it in relatively close. I will say the high rates are too much for me. I maidened with mid rates, and that was almost perfect. Just had to add another 5% expo to the ailerons. I love the way it fish tails in the high speed turns, so cool looking. It was also slightly nose heavy on the first flight, so I moved the battery back about 3mm for the rest of the flights. I dont have the elevator servos covers glued on yet. Wanted to make sure everything back there was adjusted correctly before gluing them on. So I need to glue on the covers and all those little pieces, and then clear gloss coat it. It's a beautiful jet, certainly a keeper! Nice job again Motion R/C!!! :):):):):):) (one smiley for each flight, ha ha)

Comment

I meant exactly what I wrote. Figure that, ey?

For clarity, I wrote, and meant, that the calibration is obviously done with the throttle cut function turned OFF, as in not cut, as in throttle stick active between 100 and -100. This is obviously so regardless of what value you set your throttle cut level at. You need the stick active for calibration no matter what.

The purpose of having the cut be -100 and not -130 is well elaborated over the last couple pages, and strictly off topic here, so I suggest you go read instead of us keeping this track going.
                            To quote your tagline, "Whatever" - eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteflys View Post
                              Well, if anyone is keeping score, I maidened mine this morning. Spektrum Dx9 with AR620 receiver connected to the Blue Box. If flew beautifully, no glitches, no hitches, nothing. 6 flights all together. My buddy filmed the maidened, just in case. He will try and post it soon, but nothing really to see. It takes off, makes a few circuits, and lands nicely, all with the wheels down. I put the wheels up on the second flight. It is pretty fast for my eyes, so I kept it in relatively close. I will say the high rates are too much for me. I maidened with mid rates, and that was almost perfect. Just had to add another 5% expo to the ailerons. I love the way it fish tails in the high speed turns, so cool looking. It was also slightly nose heavy on the first flight, so I moved the battery back about 3mm for the rest of the flights. I dont have the elevator servos covers glued on yet. Wanted to make sure everything back there was adjusted correctly before gluing them on. So I need to glue on the covers and all those little pieces, and then clear gloss coat it. It's a beautiful jet, certainly a keeper! Nice job again Motion R/C!!! :):):):):):) (one smiley for each flight, ha ha)
                              Congrats on your flights :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Desertlakeflying View Post

When that Carbon Z gets slow you will like those high aileron settings...
                                Just picked one up and maiden it at the house. The manual is wrong regarding the flaps. Had to fix the flaps the same way Evans mention previously.
                                Planes

Comment

• Very nice article in this months Model Aviation by Alpha on the development cycle of a typical scale F/W foamy. However reading of some of the changes " required" to C.G position, flight surface throws, servo arm positions, flap settings, etc that the better pilots incorporate and are quoted in these forums does not jive with Alpha's statement that "prototypes are flown a minimum of 200 times to satisfy safety and performance criteria". There seems to be some kind of disconnect between Motion's world and our world ? Surely the manual must reflect the results of those 200 flights ?

Comment

• Congrats Peteflys! Hope I have the same results with my new one coming! :Cool:
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Well this is a bother. Finally got it together, put power to it to attempt to bind, and get a steady "beep....beep...beep..." from in the fuselage. And there's no power light on the receiver. I tried a different brand receiver too.

Ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post
                                        Well this is a bother. Finally got it together, put power to it to attempt to bind, and get a steady "beep....beep...beep..." from in the fuselage. And there's no power light on the receiver. I tried a different brand receiver too.

Ideas?
                                        Broken or disconnected BEC?

Comment

• BEC plugged in correctly to the Rx?

Comment

Working...
                                          X