Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was actually kinda able to fly some formation with a Blue Angel this weekend. My F-22 was in a mass formation attempt and the F/A-18 was the only one I could actually link up with during the flight...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• So, that's what it's like to fly with "kids". It looked like semi-disorganized chaos and with expensive planes. Too much yelling and talking, not enough cooperation. They didn't even wait for you to get your camera checked. They're your "friends", right?

Comment

• Enough with hat cams people. We cant see anything lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
          Enough with hat cams people. We cant see anything lol.
          Agree with you for sure on the hat cams, don't know if we are suppose to be watching jets or scenery, every now and then you can see a fly or was it a mosquito buzz by.

Comment

• LOL I am glad someone said it. I've never understood the Cap Cam phenomenon myself as far as an audience perspective. The model just looks like a dot buzzing around somewhere in the sky.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Enough with hat cams people. We cant see anything lol.
              Then don't watch them. Don't click play. You get what you pay for. Problem solved.

Pretty rude attitude, actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                Pretty rude attitude, actually.
                Nothing rude about it what so ever. Hat cam footage being borderline pointless is a fact, not an insult, and I'm sure no one meant it as such either.

It's perfectly understandable that most pilots, myself included, are rarely blessed with having others to film flights with decent skill and equipment. But that doesn't change the fact that hat cams = dot in the sky.

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• I fly toy airplanes, I don't do videos and only pictures when there's a good reason. I've had people on these sites that say if I can't produce a video I didn't do it... That's rude.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    I've had people on these sites that say if I can't produce a video I didn't do it... That's rude.
                    I am quite sure they are saying that in jest, not to be taken seriously. I have said that myself but always tongue in cheek, not meant to offend.

As for the Hat Cam or Cap Cam phenomenon, I understand why many do it. They want to document their flight and they don't have the availability of someone to film for them. No problem with that. But as a viewing audience, it's not really all that compelling when you can't even see the model for most the flight. It's not a knock on the flyer, just that if you want views on your channel it behooves you to consider the best vantage points and that usually means onboard footage or someone on the ground that can zoom in on the model through the duration of the flight.

However, I am not going to have a problem with someone who uses Hat/Cap Cam footage if that's what they choose to do. I just won't watch it because frankly there's nothing much to see from purely a visual perspective.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Nothing rude about it what so ever. Hat cam footage being borderline pointless is a fact, not an insult, and I'm sure no one meant it as such either.
                      Next time a hat cam catches a failure in flight, I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

• Sorry people never meant to offend anyone. Just you really can't see anything. I too have tried the hat cam thing but it just doesnt work. I'm amazed someone hasn't come up with a method of developing some software where by you have a targeting chip on board the model for the camera to lock on to and then set the desired zoom level for any given distance. With a remote override for the zoom on a switch on your transmitter to zoom out when you want to capture a whole manoeuvre like a loop for example rather than just the model going inverted.
                        I'm sure that kind of technology must already exist. Would just be a case of a whiz kid developing the software and hardware to make it work and hopefully make it affordable for our market.

Comment

• Did anyone here try flying the F-18 on the optional 80mm setup?

Comment

• Hey guys! I wanted to follow up from the maiden of my F-18. I am happy to report it flew perfectly. I know RC pilots like to say 'no trim needed' but it truly was the case here. All trims centered, all surfaces centered, flew straight as an arrow! It was a relief let me tell you. About a minute after takeoff I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders as she zoomed through the sky looking amazing and sounding so nice! Admittedly I did not push the envelope much at all still being gun shy from my epic crash before. I tested the ELE a little and those Hitec HS-85MG's felt just like they should: full authority. I set FULL mechanical travel on the ELE for 2 reasons: 1. the diff between 100% rate and 120% rate was very small so I gave it all the throw. 2. I firmly believe when dirtied up on approach the ELE needs a LOT of travel, or all the travel, to get up in the slip stream of the turbulent air coming off the wing/flaps. Landing felt pretty easy to me. This is my first 90mm plane too and she feels like a bigger, much more aggressive, sportier F-86 80mm. The GPS will be going in it this week for some speed readings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_194653.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	209361Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_194407.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	209362

Comment

• Originally posted by RanGee View Post
                              Did anyone here try flying the F-18 on the optional 80mm setup?

Comment

Sorry people never meant to offend anyone. Just you really can't see anything. I too have tried the hat cam thing but it just doesnt work. I'm amazed someone hasn't come up with a method of developing some software where by you have a targeting chip on board the model for the camera to lock on to and then set the desired zoom level for any given distance. With a remote override for the zoom on a switch on your transmitter to zoom out when you want to capture a whole manoeuvre like a loop for example rather than just the model going inverted.
                                I'm sure that kind of technology must already exist. Would just be a case of a whiz kid developing the software and hardware to make it work and hopefully make it affordable for our market.
                                I've seen a few forum members using this product with mixed success:

Comment

• Yup.... it's a true Hell-Hole. It all works though but eliminating the MCB completely does make for a lot of additional wire and thick quality y-harnesses don't help. God help me if I have to go back in there. I thought about making a bulk-head to clean it up a little but meh... is what it is. Quick word of caution on RX600SP antenna placement: Do NOT rest them on the carbon reinforcement parts!

Doing high-speed taxi tests before the maiden the ELE servos both twitched violently and I lost connection with the RX all together at one point. I about scrubbed the mission out of frustration but instead troubleshooted it more in depth. I had a antenna wire resting on the carbon tube and from my RC boating experience using a carbon fiber hull I know this can cause radio signal problems. I taped them in a better location and ran all ground tests again. All tests showed zero signs of the same issue. Still feeling very uneasy about it I decided I had done my testing, all checked out, and sent it anyway. No radio issues to report on maiden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_222219.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	209369

Comment

• Originally posted by RanGee View Post
                                    Did anyone here try flying the F-18 on the optional 80mm setup?
                                    I know one person did with success. I can't help but feel it's like buying the 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang though: sure it will work and move out alright..... but a 5.0L V8 it ain't!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCGuy83 View Post
                                      Decided to break my HobbySquawk cherry today. My name is Andrew, been in the hobby 21 years now, and help man the phones at Motion RC.
                                      Andrew, Welcome to the "Squawk", though I suspect the MotionRC Employees' Policy Manual makes this site 'required reading'. I look forward to your inputs as you have a couple decades of experience and access to all the best toys and accessories. Best, Steve (LB)
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by RCGuy83 View Post

I know one person did with success. I can't help but feel it's like buying the 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang though: sure it will work and move out alright..... but a 5.0L V8 it ain't!
                                        Hahaha! I was just wondering what market is there for the smaller power system that made Freewign offer this option

Comment

• Andrew! Glad to hear she was a roaring success for you! She's a jewel when dialed in....And what a LOOKER!!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X