Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran up to the school for a quick flight during my lunch break. 3rd straight post crash flight without issues, I continue to cross my fingers. Same rx, same LiPo (RT 5500 70C)...Still nose heavy so in order to get the CG per the book the strap as at the very front end of the battery. Eeeek! Landings are non-events. Half flaps, keep the nose parallel to the ground and gentle flare at the end and it's a greaser every time. Can't wait to get my new one and set her up as best I can and have a pristine one to fly around!
    Attached Files
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• You should have 0 for the half flaps and then subtrim the horn to center it. The us the - and + to get the proper up and full flaps. As you have it you are using less than half of your servo travel and only one direction.

Are you in a club? Do you know someone that can help you properly set up a radio program? Not to be harsh but that's a messed up set up.

And why -130% for throttle? If you have your throttle cut at 130% that's wrong for electrics, it should be -100%. If you turn on the radio and airplane with the throttle cut and then take off the throttle cut it will throttle up with the throttle all the way down. Not good.

Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	203194

Here’s my % compare them to yours?

Comment

• Mine have always started spinning up as soon as you move the stick. I dunno? Once I calibrate the esc and it works. Throttle cut off is -100 to 100

Yea I’m in a club, near Fayetteville. Just what I was taught in eflite manuals.

I’ll try the flap your way. You are referring to the subtrim under the servo tab?

steps for flaps
        1) set flaps position 2 to 0
        2) adjust control horn so it points down
        3) eyeball the linkage to get to take off flaps, and install linkage. Move flaps position % to fine tune for take off flaps deployment
        3) adjust flaps % for flaps up and landing flaps

sound right?

Planes
        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

I agree 100%. Again, realizing we all have our preferences, I do think Freewing's low rate recommendations are too high in general. I had to crank my throws over 100% (I think it was around 107%) just to get to the low rate range. That is not normal. Sure enough, the maiden was way too twitchy in roll. Now around 70% or so it feels much more "normal" for low rates. It is surprising to me how others say the recommended rates work well for them. Either I somehow set the initial rates up wrong or some folks like a lot of throw even on a maiden.

Quite honestly I prefer eyeballing the throws. I have found after all these years I am a pretty good judge of what I think a throw range should be for a given model just by eyeballing. I will be doing that for my next one.
          Sounds very familiar to my thoughts and experiences on this topic.

I quite often end up with different control setups and cg anyway, so experience based eyeballing is often required 😂
          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            You should have 0 for the half flaps and then subtrim the horn to center it. The us the - and + to get the proper up and full flaps. As you have it you are using less than half of your servo travel and only one direction.

Are you in a club? Do you know someone that can help you properly set up a radio program? Not to be harsh but that's a messed up set up.

And why -130% for throttle? If you have your throttle cut at 130% that's wrong for electrics, it should be -100%. If you turn on the radio and airplane with the throttle cut and then take off the throttle cut it will throttle up with the throttle all the way down. Not good.

-130 is default throttle cut value on spektrum (answers the why)

For most escs that is perfectly fine as long as initial throttle range calibration is done with cut off so correct range is stored.

Comment

• -130 is default but not what you want for electrics. It's what you want for a glow motor.

If you calibrate your ESC at -100 and 100 which is normal and then plug in with -130 it start running when you turn your throttle kill off. There may be some ESCs that don't do this but it's a safety hazard. Everyone should change the default to -100 when they set up a new electric plane.

Originally posted by janmb View Post

-130 is default throttle cut value on spektrum (answers the why)

For most escs that is perfectly fine as long as initial throttle range calibration is done with cut off so correct range is stored.

Comment

-130 is default but not what you want for electrics. It's what you want for a glow motor.

If you calibrate your ESC at -100 and 100 which is normal and then plug in with -130 it start running when you turn your throttle kill off. There may be some ESCs that don't do this but it's a safety hazard. Everyone should change the default to -100 when they set up a new electric plane.
                I agree that - 100 is a more sensible choice, but you are wrong on the last part. Most ESCs will not adjust the range once programmed, and they enter programming by being powered on with full throttle only. So most ESCs will handle a mix of - 100 and - 130 just fine.

I don't agree on this being a safety hazard since an esc will either handle it or not (have seen plenty examples of both). There is no randomness or unknowns here.

Comment

• 1) set flaps switch to position 1 to 0 (half flaps).
                  2) adjust subtrim in the servo menu so control horn points straight down.
                  3) eyeball the linkage (and adjust it) to get the correct take off flap deflection, and install linkage. You should not have to adjust the flaps position % to fine tune.

4) adjust flaps % for flaps up and landing flaps.

Ideally you should end up with flaps up at about 100% (or -100%), mid flaps at 0% and full flaps at -100% (or 100%). If you need less than -60/ 0/ 60 you should move the linkage to a hole closer to the center on the servo. This allows you to get the best mechanical advantage so the servo works easier.

Mine have always started spinning up as soon as you move the stick. I dunno? Once I calibrate the esc and it works. Throttle cut off is -100 to 100

Yea I’m in a club, near Fayetteville. Just what I was taught in eflite manuals.

I’ll try the flap your way. You are referring to the subtrim under the servo tab?

steps for flaps
                  1) set flaps position 2 to 0
                  2) adjust control horn so it points down
                  3) eyeball the linkage to get to take off flaps, and install linkage. Move flaps position % to fine tune for take off flaps deployment
                  3) adjust flaps % for flaps up and landing flaps

sound right?

Comment

• At my field maybe 10% calibrate their throttles, about the same KNOW how t do a range check, maybe half check balance before they fly their new plane... There are a lot of unknows.

The -130 is a safety hazard.

You understand the differences, most don't.

Originally posted by janmb View Post

I agree that - 100 is a more sensible choice, but you are wrong on the last part. Most ESCs will not adjust the range once programmed, and they enter programming by being powered on with full throttle only. So most ESCs will handle a mix of - 100 and - 130 just fine.

I don't agree on this being a safety hazard since an esc will either handle it or not (have seen plenty examples of both). There is no randomness or unknowns here.

Comment

At my field maybe 10% calibrate their throttles, about the same KNOW how t do a range check, maybe half check balance before they fly their new plane... There are a lot of unknows.

The -130 is a safety hazard.

You understand the differences, most don't.

What we can definitely agree on is that ignorance is a safety hazard 😂

(such as the guy on fb currently feverishly defending a parallel antenna installation lol)

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

(such as the guy on fb currently feverishly defending a parallel antenna installation lol)
                        Oh God!

I weight all my batteries and write them in the battery and on the plane for cg.

range check and cg go hand in hand. I’ll admit after A little while I don’t do range check/test as often as I should.
                        Planes
                        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

1) set flaps switch to position 1 to 0 (half flaps).
                          2) adjust subtrim in the servo menu so control horn points straight down.
                          3) eyeball the linkage (and adjust it) to get the correct take off flap deflection, and install linkage. You should not have to adjust the flaps position % to fine tune.

4) adjust flaps % for flaps up and landing flaps.

Ideally you should end up with flaps up at about 100% (or -100%), mid flaps at 0% and full flaps at -100% (or 100%). If you need less than -60/ 0/ 60 you should move the linkage to a hole closer to the center on the servo. This allows you to get the best mechanical advantage so the servo works easier.

Flap and elevator I did move the linkage in one hole. Here’s servo with no sub trim.
                          Attached Files
                          Planes

Comment

• After setup of control horn
                            Attached Files
                            Planes

Comment

• TG65 I was not talking about you when I stated those percentages... But it is how our fields pilots are... Note I said maybe 10% KNOW how to do a range check. Fewer actually do them. I've been told numerous time that their radios don't have the reduced power setting to do one and I've had many think a range check is done at full power.

Our club has a radio programing class at least once a year among other classes.

Weighing your batteries and marking an in service date is a great idea.

Comment

• Looking good.

After setup of control horn

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Hang in there bud, I know how you feel about this one, already been through it, mine was a headache at first, think I got it now, the BB was my main issue then the flap issue which I never really figured out, didn't change rx or anything, now it's flying good, maybe yours will be good once you figure it all out, only thing running through the BB is my gear and lights.
                                  What did you use to clear coat your plane with?

Comment

• I use the Minwax Polycrilic Clear Gloss......:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

FB! Must be true! :Cool:;);)LOL:Silly:

Comment

• Originally posted by John_53_70 View Post
                                        What did you use to clear coat your plane with?
                                        You avatar reminds me of politicians faced with a relevant question!!! ;):Confused:LOL

Comment

• :Cool:Sorry, couldn’t resist!

Comment

Working...
                                          X