Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cockpit comes with a plastic dash and rear deck. With a 3DP instrument panel it would be super easy to finish the mid section. I am not aware of a 3DP file for a Martin-Baker MK14 Ejection Seat though.

Comment

• Some amazing 3D add ons and decal sets being designed for this one -- remember the days when maybe the LHS had a basic decal set that might suit your new scale model. Anyway I have tried to find the name/rank of the pilot of todays B/A #5 so that I could have Callie make a decal but cannot find ? Would be great to have a three view side by side comparison of all new models to allow the addition of those small but obvious scale details not part of the kit. I think that the next leap forward for these EPO models is the incorporation of closer to scale landing gear. Tom Hunt has shown what can be done on his Grumman Albatross gear design. My LX F-22 had quite good scale gear but you had better have landed like a butterfly to have a second chance !

I got lost in the past discussion of supposed upgrade fan units. I have a WeMo with SK3, 1900 kV motor for use on 6 cell. Is this ok for the F-18 or should I be using the 1600 kV motor ?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
        The cockpit comes with a plastic dash and rear deck. With a 3DP instrument panel it would be super easy to finish the mid section. I am not aware of a 3DP file for a Martin-Baker MK14 Ejection Seat though.
        I dare say there will be one for a decent seat...

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
          Aros, would you be so kind to measure the bottom width of the instrument panel decal? This would help scaling my 3DP panel to the right size.
          Hi Frank, sorry I don't actually have the decal set, I just took the image from our product page gallery. Hopefully I can answer your question sometime in mid June. ;)

My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

I dare say there will be one for a decent seat...
            You go Frank! :Cool:
            Tom

Comment

• If I get another F-18C, in the BA color scheme (I already ordered the gray), I'm going to have to paint the inside of the intakes white. This is a detail I always noticed while watching the Blue Angel's perform live. The white paint stands out really well against the Blue. I love that look :Cool:.

The full sized F-18:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190521-184157_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1417
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	196020

The Freewing F-18C:

Name:	freewing-f-a-18c-hornet-blue-angels-90mm-edf-jet-arf-plus-motion-rc-7202825961585_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	196021

Comment

• I am just glad these new gen jets are giving us SOMETHING to do to them. Save SOME mods for us! LOL
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                  I am just glad these new gen jets are giving us SOMETHING to do to them. Save SOME mods for us! LOL
                  Aros, Speaking of 'Mods', is there going to be a 3DPUP cockpit kit or other 3DP STL files available from MotionRC for this airframe? Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I am not sure Elbee, I haven't heard word on that. However, if recent tradition holds, I would assume so?
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
                      Some amazing 3D add ons and decal sets being designed for this one -- remember the days when maybe the LHS had a basic decal set that might suit your new scale model. Anyway I have tried to find the name/rank of the pilot of todays B/A #5 so that I could have Callie make a decal but cannot find ? Would be great to have a three view side by side comparison of all new models to allow the addition of those small but obvious scale details not part of the kit. I think that the next leap forward for these EPO models is the incorporation of closer to scale landing gear. Tom Hunt has shown what can be done on his Grumman Albatross gear design. My LX F-22 had quite good scale gear but you had better have landed like a butterfly to have a second chance !

I got lost in the past discussion of supposed upgrade fan units. I have a WeMo with SK3, 1900 kV motor for use on 6 cell. Is this ok for the F-18 or should I be using the 1600 kV motor ?
                      Hey, #5 the Lead solo, Lcdr Brandon Hempler

Comment

• Hey from the UK. I've also pre ordered my grey version and got the jolly Rodger decals from callie. Obviously I'm going to need to paint the fins black and the cockpit and around the cockpit. I was just wondering if you guys could make some suggestions on safe paints and lacquers for EPO. Want to lacquer it as well to help hold the decals in place. Everyone keeps telling me to test in a not so visible area first but I cant because I only need to paint the fins and cockpit lol.
                        also aerosol or paint brush?
                        I appreciate there is the video where he painted it after the camera fell off but he said he got the paint from home depo. We dont have this place in the UK and not sure if that particular paint is available over here.

Also masking. What is best to use? Nervous tape will pull the grey base coat off. Saw one video on YouTube of a guy masking EPO using wet blue paper roll or news paper. Seems a pretty good idea.
                        any thoughts? People with experience?

Finally why is June taking so long to get here? Anyone wanna team up and intercept the container ship with all our models on it and bring a few in sooner? Lol

oh one other thing. How long after release till the ordinance kit will be ready? And no one has mentioned it yet nor have I seen it in any of the videos but it is shown in the sale pics on the site. The nose leg light. I assume it does work and comes on in sequence with the lowering of the gear? May seem obvious but it's just no one has mentioned and when they talk about the lights the only talk about the strobe on top and the red and green on the lex.

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                          Hey from the UK. I've also pre ordered my grey version and got the jolly Rodger decals from callie. Obviously I'm going to need to paint the fins black and the cockpit and around the cockpit. I was just wondering if you guys could make some suggestions on safe paints and lacquers for EPO. Want to lacquer it as well to help hold the decals in place. Everyone keeps telling me to test in a not so visible area first but I cant because I only need to paint the fins and cockpit lol.
                          also aerosol or paint brush?
                          I appreciate there is the video where he painted it after the camera fell off but he said he got the paint from home depo. We dont have this place in the UK and not sure if that particular paint is available over here.

Also masking. What is best to use? Nervous tape will pull the grey base coat off. Saw one video on YouTube of a guy masking EPO using wet blue paper roll or news paper. Seems a pretty good idea.
                          any thoughts? People with experience?

Finally why is June taking so long to get here? Anyone wanna team up and intercept the container ship with all our models on it and bring a few in sooner? Lol

oh one other thing. How long after release till the ordinance kit will be ready? And no one has mentioned it yet nor have I seen it in any of the videos but it is shown in the sale pics on the site. The nose leg light. I assume it does work and comes on in sequence with the lowering of the gear? May seem obvious but it's just no one has mentioned and when they talk about the lights the only talk about the strobe on top and the red and green on the lex.

Thanks in advance
                          CB, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Great People and Great Information is found here. As for your questions, I am a relatively newbie here, though masking can be a delicate matter. I use the yellow Frog Tape for basic masking with paper towels for the largest areas and Tamiya white tape for sharp lines and curves. It has been suggested to use Post It notes and I tried it and that works well. If your doing camouflage, then airbrushing seems to be the technique. I been using exterior latex, model acrylics, enamels both airbrushed and rattle can with zero problems with the EPO foams. Hope this gives you datum line and June will be here before long. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Welcome to HobbySquawk Carlbrainiac. I have been using Model Masters Acrylics through an airbrush over a Rustoleum white primer base. I use Yellow Frog tape that I first stick to my shirt before applying to the model for masking. I thin the paints with a little Createx reducer. That is how I did my F-4J and Blue Angels A-4 Skyhawk. I then clear coat with clear Polycrylic if I apply a clear coat at all. Rarely will I use an aerosol paint as all too often the solvents will react with the previous layer of paint and wrinkle if not done right. Good quality Acrylics being water based won't do that. I love the Jolly Rogers as well.

Name:	FB_IMG_1556802473867.jpg
Views:	1372
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	196441

Comment

• Welcome to Hobbysquawk. I use tamiya acrylic, viejo acrylic and behr acrylic when color matched by home depot. I always airbrush. I used to use denatured alcohol to thin the acrylic because it dried faster but it seemed to break down the adhesive in the paint (it would flake off easily). I now use either creatix or viejo acrylic thinner. I use either green or yellow frog tape, I too lay it across my shirt or pants to make it a bit less tacky. I use tamiya white tape on canopies. I've used polycrylic but I prefer varathane for my clear coat / sealer.

Comment

• Thanks for all the info guys. Seems the common consensus here is to air brush. Thing is I dont own an airbrush. If painting models with details was something I was going to get into I'd be happy to invest in one but this is just going to be a one off solid black colour in just a couple of small areas. Dont get me wrong I do want a decent result no point spending all this money on the model and then it looks crap because I budged it. But is there a cheaper more simple way? Like I say I'm only painting one solid colour. Black. The fins, canopy and the pointed oval shape around the canopy. And then of course the lacquer.

Comment

• I hate to be the one that goes against the majority, but I use rattle cans preferable Testor's Model Master Enamels. My A-10 was painted right over the stock grey.I used Clear self paper from Walmart as the mask.

Mike Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0099.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.4 KB ID:	196508
                                  \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                                    I hate to be the one that goes against the majority, but I use rattle cans preferable Testor's Model Master Enamels. My A-10 was painted right over the stock grey.
                                    Same here. Been using rattle can enamels from day one with excellent results.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Ala Rattle "O" CAN!!!
                                      Attached Files
                                      Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• https://www.tjdmodels.com/matt-ename...Enamel%20paint Would that be suitable?

Comment

• https://www.tjdmodels.com/matt-ename...ol-p-2337.html and then that over the top as the lacquer to lock in all the decals?

Comment

Working...
                                          X