Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok....I voted for a gray version........as in a low vis scheme, and not just a gray base painted version without decals. Will there be a propper complete gray scheme version ?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJN View Post
      Ok....I voted for a gray version........as in a low vis scheme, and not just a gray base painted version without decals. Will there be a propper complete gray scheme version ?
      Welcome to Hobby Squawk SJN! There are no plans at the moment for a low visibility scheme beyond the gray base version at this time. We felt the gray base will scratch the itch for most folks who wanted to customize their F/A-18C to their liking.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• We will have decal sets for the gray as a spare part. There are not any plans to put them in the box with the gray version simply because the graphics were not ready (and are not ready yet). We'll have them sent by air so they can be on our site as a spare part by the time the plane arrives. Of course Callie is another great source for any decals and graphics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
          We will have decal sets for the gray as a spare part. There are not any plans to put them in the box with the gray version simply because the graphics were not ready (and are not ready yet). We'll have them sent by air so they can be on our site as a spare part by the time the plane arrives. Of course Callie is another great source for any decals and graphics.

My Callie graphics are already in the mail! Ordered them about a week and a half ago. I may need counseling.

Comment

We will have decal sets for the gray as a spare part. There are not any plans to put them in the box with the gray version simply because the graphics were not ready (and are not ready yet). We'll have them sent by air so they can be on our site as a spare part by the time the plane arrives. Of course Callie is another great source for any decals and graphics.
            I just placed my pre-order for the gray version. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks for making a great plane and listening to your customers!

Comment

• One other question:

Regarding missiles, this plane will need Sidewinders or AIM-120s on the wingtips to make it look right. Will you be carrying those as spare parts? And if not, which plane's missile set will be the best match for this plane?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                One other question:

Regarding missiles, this plane will need Sidewinders or AIM-120s on the wingtips to make it look right. Will you be carrying those as spare parts? And if not, which plane's missile set will be the best match for this plane?

Thanks!
                https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...192#post190192

it was said somewhere by a Motion rep that they are working on a ordinance set made up from existing stock that will compliment the F-18.

Comment

• This answers a bunch of questions being asked:

1.4K views, 67 likes, 7 loves, 37 comments, 3 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Motion RC: Live for a quick F/A-18C update and Joe Nall info!

Comment

• Normally, missiles are part of the foam mold. Since this plane was developed as a Blue Angels livery and they don't have missiles, we did not mold any missiles with the plane. The gray version came later with feedback from all of you but it was too late for missiles. That said, the Freewing 90mm F-16 is about the same scale range so the F-16 weapon set would work well with this F-18. Be aware, the thinner missiles can be a bit fragile. The 90mm F-4 also comes to mind but that set would take more tweaking given the configuration of the pylon.

Comment

• A sidewinder is a pretty easy thing to scratch build or 3d print as well....

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                        Grey model ordered! Any suggestions on AIM-9s for the wing tips? Centerline bubble?
                        Really looking forward to this one.
                        if you got a 3d printer, you can scale these AIM-9Ls down:

Comment

Normally, missiles are part of the foam mold. Since this plane was developed as a Blue Angels livery and they don't have missiles, we did not mold any missiles with the plane. The gray version came later with feedback from all of you but it was too late for missiles. That said, the Freewing 90mm F-16 is about the same scale range so the F-16 weapon set would work well with this F-18. Be aware, the thinner missiles can be a bit fragile. The 90mm F-4 also comes to mind but that set would take more tweaking given the configuration of the pylon.
                          If it is financially worthwhile long term, could all ordnance be offered separately within size ranges according to aircraft scale?

For example, AIM pairs would be sold separately, external fuel tanks sold separately, etc. and they would be classified in regards to aircraft scale such as 1/11th scale, 1/14th, etc.

It may not be worthwhile to do, but you all would know better from a business standpoint. Being sold in this manner, a person would not have to purchase an entire ordnance set to own just a few items in it that they want. It also allows all aircraft to be sold without it or with it, regardless of paint scheme used. I'm not a fan of one paint scheme on a model coming with an ordnance set and another paint scheme of the same exact model not including ordnance, especially if the plane is the same price with or without ordnance (sometimes I've seen a plane that is more expensive without ordnance than the paint scheme with ordnance, and that's odd). I would like to see it be more standardized. Of course, a customer would have to see the price of purchasing the separate ordnance as inexpensive enough to justify, and not sure the aircrafts price would also reflect any change if ordnance is not included when this is planned for when designing a new aircraft model. The attachment method, such as all T-style slide locks would also be standardized.

I'm not a business man, just a customer with input. :Cool:

Comment

• We've endeavored to tackle that quagmire a couple of different ways, T-Cat, I agree it's worth the effort to explore. Unfortunately, specialized ordnance sets/pairs a la carte across a range of scales isn't "financially worthwhile" for a number of reasons. First, none of our models are exactly the same scale. There are six major "scale ranges" in which most of our jets fit, but even then, they're not exact. It isn't feasible to produce an ordnance set for 1/10 scale, 1/10.5 scale, 1/11 scale, 1/12 scale, 1/14 scale, etc.. Keep in mind we'd need to sell thousands of sets just to break even. It's a classic case where too much granularity in pursuit of a minority preference jeopardizes the foundation of the effort as a whole. A lot of my job's finesse is in the editing process --taking out things while still ensuring we can stuff the best airplane into the smallest box as possible that flies well, earns a place in its owner's hangar, and in the context of this discussion is worth a couple of evenings of personalization and added bling if that owner so chooses.

A lot of these limitations in options always come down to the nature of molding foam... it's simply prohibitively expensive, and missiles can't be selectively molded in pairs or small quantities. A specialized missile set for the Hornet costs what a midsize sedan does, and we'd never recoup that investment, based on the sales data we've collected over the years for models offered with ordnance, models with ordnance options sold separately, and models without ordnance altogether. The majority identifies cost as the primary determinant, and we believe our customers entrust us to act smartly for their sakes and for ours in this regard.

The reason why I originally designed the MWS (the "T-style slide locks" as you call them) was to bake in a consistent mounting method across all our major jets which at least provides an upgrade path for sharing ordnance in cases like the 90mm F-16 and F-18, where creating a new mold for parts we already have in relative scale factor is unnecessary. Such is the balance that we've tried to strike well.

For the ultimate in flexible choice and customization, I continually point to 3DP. That technology allows pilots to print any piece of ordnance in any scale they want, and with the proper tabs it will slide onto our existing rails. It's the ultimate option for customizing ordnance. So the option is there, it's just not nearly as mainstream yet. Look how many people have actually installed Snakeeyes on their A-4s, or TERs on their A-10s. Not a lot. Unless/until such things become mainstream in usage and demand, it will remain relegated to the DIY world but not incorporated into the Mass Production world. My math needs to check out.
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Purchased! I’m going to run an 8s set up. Is it June yet?
                              Eventually Gravity Always Wins

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                We've endeavored to tackle that quagmire a couple of different ways, T-Cat, I agree it's worth the effort to explore. Unfortunately, specialized ordnance sets/pairs a la carte across a range of scales isn't "financially worthwhile" for a number of reasons. First, none of our models are exactly the same scale. There are six major "scale ranges" in which most of our jets fit, but even then, they're not exact. It isn't feasible to produce an ordnance set for 1/10 scale, 1/10.5 scale, 1/11 scale, 1/12 scale, 1/14 scale, etc.. Keep in mind we'd need to sell thousands of sets just to break even. It's a classic case where too much granularity in pursuit of a minority preference jeopardizes the foundation of the effort as a whole. A lot of my job's finesse is in the editing process --taking out things while still ensuring we can stuff the best airplane into the smallest box as possible that flies well, earns a place in its owner's hangar, and in the context of this discussion is worth a couple of evenings of personalization and added bling if that owner so chooses.

A lot of these limitations in options always come down to the nature of molding foam... it's simply prohibitively expensive, and missiles can't be selectively molded in pairs or small quantities. A specialized missile set for the Hornet costs what a midsize sedan does, and we'd never recoup that investment, based on the sales data we've collected over the years for models offered with ordnance, models with ordnance options sold separately, and models without ordnance altogether. The majority identifies cost as the primary determinant, and we believe our customers entrust us to act smartly for their sakes and for ours in this regard.

The reason why I originally designed the MWS (the "T-style slide locks" as you call them) was to bake in a consistent mounting method across all our major jets which at least provides an upgrade path for sharing ordnance in cases like the 90mm F-16 and F-18, where creating a new mold for parts we already have in relative scale factor is unnecessary. Such is the balance that we've tried to strike well.

For the ultimate in flexible choice and customization, I continually point to 3DP. That technology allows pilots to print any piece of ordnance in any scale they want, and with the proper tabs it will slide onto our existing rails. It's the ultimate option for customizing ordnance. So the option is there, it's just not nearly as mainstream yet. Look how many people have actually installed Snakeeyes on their A-4s, or TERs on their A-10s. Not a lot. Unless/until such things become mainstream in usage and demand, it will remain relegated to the DIY world but not incorporated into the Mass Production world. My math needs to check out.
                                It's a numbers game, no doubt about it. I always appreciate all of the team's effort at Motion RC to explore ideas. If it doesn't work out financially, it won't make sense to do if it affects the bottom line to a point where business cannot be sustained at a high enough level. I would rather have an aircraft of great design within a price range I find appropriate, which is what I've seen over the years from Freewing and Motion RC, rather than be too picky over ordnance offerings. If it changes in the future where it is more feasible to do, then that's icing on the cake.

I didn't know what to call the "MWS" design of locking mechanism that mate the ordnance to the pylons LOL. What does MWS stand for? Motion Was Smart?

Comment

• Ordered :Cool:
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post

if you got a 3d printer, you can scale these AIM-9Ls down:

I will have to bite the 3DP bullet at some point. I know there's a lot I could do with it. In the meantime, it's great that Motion is delivering a plain grey wrapper jet, sans ordinance. Surely, that's part of what kept the price point down on this one.
                                    The big question; will it make vapor trails in the landing configuration like the full scale does?! :)

Comment

• Ordered early..... this morning !!!!LOL;):Cool: What's up Tired Iron, James and Steve (Jet Dude). I want to Personally Thank Mr. Tom (Owner) and especially Alpha !! Motion R.C is my Favorite Store hands DOWN :)!!!!!!! You guys are doing a SUPER VANTASTIC JOB !!!!! I'm a 22 year Retired Army Veteran. I get so...…………….. many complements on my Freewing EDF every time I load them into my truck from various neighbors and their guest as well.! I love this country !!! And gentlemen I've lived and been to 10 different countries. Can't touch the Great USA !!!!!

Comment

• Thank you and all our veterans for the service and sacrifices to us all! Every single time I fly a military jet or warbird of ours it's never ever lost on me how it represents - in a small way - the men and women who have fought, served and even died for the freedom I enjoy to fly these models!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Drill Sergeant View Post
                                          Ordered early..... this morning !!!!LOL;):Cool: What's up Tired Iron, James and Steve (Jet Dude). I want to Personally Thank Mr. Tom (Owner) and especially Alpha !! Motion R.C is my Favorite Store hands DOWN :)!!!!!!! You guys are doing a SUPER VANTASTIC JOB !!!!! I'm a 22 year Retired Army Veteran. I get so...…………….. many complements on my Freewing EDF every time I load them into my truck from various neighbors and their guest as well.! I love this country !!! And gentlemen I've lived and been to 10 different countries. Can't touch the Great USA !!!!!
                                          Just happened to look over to the left and see your location. Howdy neighbor! :)

Comment

Working...
                                          X