Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys I thought I would share this repair sequence. Two weeks ago I ripped out the nose gear with a bad bounce. As I mentioned before, the nose gear is held on by four screws which are attached to four plastic posts. Under stress, the posts will break. Earlier, I had broken one post and added a pair of zip-ties around the body to hold the retract unit to the floor. But my recent accident broke everything out again and so I had to make a more drastic repair.

I also had to dismount the steering servo and straighten out the metal mount, which was bent badly (again).

The pictures tell the story. (the doors were removed while I was working)
    I hope this illustration will be helpful to the next guy who breaks out the mounts.
    And I will be trying to master landing this plane again, soon.

first picture is "before" - showing the broken mounts. All 4 posts are broken off, cracked, ruined.
    second picture - I cut off the posts (with a Dremel cutoff wheel) so that all 4 were level
    third picture - I used a liberal amount of epoxy to set hardwood rails into place (they are at the same level as the original posts).
    fourth picture - taa daa. All fixed.

I used socket-head screws in the back, since they are very difficult to access.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NG - 1.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	213916

Name:	NG - 2.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	213917

Name:	NG -  3.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	213918

Name:	NG - 4.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	213919
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Quickstop View Post

The phantom or other vietnam era plane would be more accurate. I don't believe they were around for the f-86....mig 15
      Yup i seen 15 in 17 some how.

Comment

• The MiG 15 was introduced in 1949, the same year as the F-86.

Comment

• The MiG 17 was introduced in 1952, so, yes, it would still be a contemporary with the F-86 as well. The F-86 was not retired from the USAF inventory until 1965.

Comment

• (Seem unable to add more than one link to a reply, so....)

Comment

• My MIG-17 was introduced in 2019....
              Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• if there are any DO IT YOURSELF types that want a firey booty for their plane... let me know. I will be putting together a video showing how to do it. Either you can do it all yourself or have me help with electronics. I finally got it all worked out.... and loving the way that this mig is performing!!! The stock motor is pretty impressive!
                Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• my flights from yesterday...

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I redesigned the fuel tank attachment for direct fit with the Freewing 90mm EDF weapon attachment. STL file in attachment.Click image for larger version  Name:	20190926_191412.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	214593
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	090DE937-F887-44DA-8EDC-91B769723A0A.jpeg
Views:	823
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	214867Click image for larger version

Name:	212B4060-DBD8-489F-AAC3-D0A5903794FC.jpeg
Views:	804
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	214868Click image for larger version

Name:	BEFCB66D-3226-4C46-A41E-C95BC78DE318.jpeg
Views:	824
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	214869Click image for larger version

Name:	29AFAB5D-1F09-4337-B562-631CAC7F37E8.jpeg
Views:	804
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	214870Click image for larger version

Name:	CE46A36F-C75D-4D35-8EB0-D8DFC26A10B9.jpeg
Views:	828
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	214871Click image for larger version

Name:	D6EE5B8F-009D-419F-86BB-5C49E0D46C2E.jpeg
Views:	802
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	214865Click image for larger version

Name:	4FE3E708-4424-44E0-A16D-B6FCA66ACCE0.jpeg
Views:	798
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	214866 Ghost plane, no longer!
                        Tolga
                        Instagram: @_t01ga_
                        YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Got mine this weekend. Well packaged, no damage, looks great, and I know they fly well because Goon, Frank, and the Lord Emperor all fly them at my local club field! Oh, I didn't get a manual (got it online) and the ESC was flopping around with its retaining plate loose in the bag, common problem. I am going to disable the sequencer and remove the inner gear doors. The servos all cycled smoothly and stayed cool for 5-10 minutes. But I cannot actuate the gear... maybe because I am using a servo cycler/tester? I have the main white box distribution center, then a connection to a larger PCB with outputs to the inner gear door servos and another smaller PCB with two wire +_ outputs to the three gear servos. Anyway connecting directly to the gears doesn't work and the way it is set up from the factory only operates the inner gear door servos not the gear. I'm stumped as to how to bypass the sequencer and doors and just operate the gear? The manual does not address the PCB's or give any wiring diagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
                            Got mine this weekend. Well packaged, no damage, looks great, and I know they fly well because Goon, Frank, and the Lord Emperor all fly them at my local club field! Oh, I didn't get a manual (got it online) and the ESC was flopping around with its retaining plate loose in the bag, common problem. I am going to disable the sequencer and remove the inner gear doors. The servos all cycled smoothly and stayed cool for 5-10 minutes. But I cannot actuate the gear... maybe because I am using a servo cycler/tester? I have the main white box distribution center, then a connection to a larger PCB with outputs to the inner gear door servos and another smaller PCB with two wire +_ outputs to the three gear servos. Anyway connecting directly to the gears doesn't work and the way it is set up from the factory only operates the inner gear door servos not the gear. I'm stumped as to how to bypass the sequencer and doors and just operate the gear? The manual does not address the PCB's or give any wiring diagram.
                            The retracts use a small brushed motor which turns the jack screw, you'll see that there are only two wires coming out (black and red) instead of three wires like a regular servo. So you can't use a servo tester to make them work. I am pretty sure that 5 or 6-volt battery would work (the output from a BEC - but I have not done this myself).

Comment

• I took mine out to the field today and luckily Frank and Ray were there and the gear work fine using the ESC BEC voltage or a low voltage servo tester we borrowed. Traced the problem to my 2s LiFe powered (6.6v) servo tester. Too high a voltage, nothing burned up but it wouldn't work. With 5v or with the stock ESC BEC it is fine. I'll have to see what that voltage is coming from the ESC BEC because I intend to bypass the it and run a Castle Creations BEC. I think someone here posted 5.5v but I'll check it anyway. I got a nice little "tutorial" from Frank about that sequencer. Apparently it is very important to cycle the gear one time before flying as the sequencer can easily be confused on power up. Personally, as much as I like the inner doors, I will still discard them and bypass the sequencer. I fly foam jets for fun and IMHO gears doors = not fun. I will still use the smaller PCB that connects to the three landing gear.

Comment

• HobbyKing has apparently started to use this type of gear (2 wires going to each retract from the “brain”), along with a sequencer for the doors lately. Besides this MiG, they did the same thing with their C-130. On both these planes, it is necessary to cycle to gear switch a couple of times after power up to “set” the retract and wake it up. I don’t understand how it works, but they’ve never failed me. Not understanding how it works is not a reason for the retract and doors to not be fun. Unlike one or two Freewing/Flightline “control boards”, I find no reason to bypass this one or the sequencer.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  HobbyKing has apparently started to use this type of gear (2 wires going to each retract from the “brain”), along with a sequencer for the doors lately. Besides this MiG, they did the same thing with their C-130. On both these planes, it is necessary to cycle to gear switch a couple of times after power up to “set” the retract and wake it up. I don’t understand how it works, but they’ve never failed me. Not understanding how it works is not a reason for the retract and doors to not be fun. Unlike one or two Freewing/Flightline “control boards”, I find no reason to bypass this one or the sequencer.
                                  Seconded!

Comment

• Originally posted by patrick verlinden View Post
                                    I redesigned the fuel tank attachment for direct fit with the Freewing 90mm EDF weapon attachment. STL file in attachment.
                                    PV, Thank you for the STL File. Also, I applaud your 3DP design skills and your efforts to improve OEM parts to fit each building situation. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• flew in crazy wind this weekend... plane did great! Just one bouncy landing...

Comment

• Gooniac; have you ever posted pics of your hangar?

You must have one crazy collection.

What are your thoughts on this Avios compared to Freewing,FMS and E-flite (if you have had any of the other brands)?

*nice flying btw

Comment

• Originally posted by MrVoyagerx View Post
                                          Gooniac; have you ever posted pics of your hangar?

You must have one crazy collection.

What are your thoughts on this Avios compared to Freewing,FMS and E-flite (if you have had any of the other brands)?

*nice flying btw
                                          Here is a pic of the larger edfs.... this doesnt include the 50mm, 64mm and another 70mm delta edf or the other warbirds and civilian planes I have. This was where I stored them at Reid Hillview Airport in San Jose before the Annual Airport Day where I put on an RC Airshow for the crowd... I have a few planes... lol

Also the Avios Mig-17 flies amazing!! They got the flying characteristics perfectly. But the hardware is leaving a lot to be desired. By that I mean the servos and the way that they mount the ESC etc. It took me a long time to get the plane up to the standards that I am comfy flying it. It all paid off though because the plane flies amazing!
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X