X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
    I personally noticed an improvement in the handling when I moved to the ProModeler servos.
    So... How did you power the PM (or MKS) upgraded servos? They call for 2S lipo, not 5.1v from the BEC? i have HV servos in most of my planes, but use a 2S lipo direct to the rec'r to power them all. How did you go low voltage on other flight controls (BEC), but HV on just the elevators/tailerons? I'll be using a Spektrum 10 chl receiver and bypass the MCBe for all but the gear and lights. Sorry to keep asking the same question, but not getting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleepdog View Post

So... How did you power the PM (or MKS) upgraded servos? They call for 2S lipo, not 5.1v from the BEC? i have HV servos in most of my planes, but use a 2S lipo direct to the rec'r to power them all. How did you go low voltage on other flight controls (BEC), but HV on just the elevators/tailerons? I'll be using a Spektrum 10 chl receiver and bypass the MCBe for all but the gear and lights. Sorry to keep asking the same question, but not getting it.
      Anybody able to answer?

Comment

Anybody able to answer?
        I'm powering everything, including the PM elevator servos and the TV nozzles by bypassing the stock BEC and using the Castle 20 amp BEC. My flying buddy has the exact same setup on his and they both have worked flawlessly since day one. I'm also using the 10 channel AS3X AR10360T RX along with a separate Hobby Eagle gyro on the TV nozzles. The ProModeler DS 150's are smooth as silk. Also upgraded the elevator control rods with the Hangar Nine titanium rods as I noticed the upgraded rods MRC sent out still could bend. Not the titanium rods! If you set up tailerons, you won't need a servo reverser with the PM servos for the elevator. If you do not, PM also sells a small suitable reverser to plug in line.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I'm powering everything, including the PM elevator servos and the TV nozzles by bypassing the stock BEC and using the Castle 20 amp BEC.
          Thx...what output voltage are you setting in the Castle?

Comment

So far I've done the opposite. Try and switch most of an airplane's components to HV capable, and put a BEC somewhere in the system to power the LV stuff.
            Example: On my Su-35, everything is powered at HV straight from a 2S LiPo, but I have a 4ch SBUS decoder where the red and black leads that plug into the rx have a BEC installed in series. This way, anything powered through that decoder will run at the BEC tension.

Alternatively, you'd need to solder a special wire harness so that the output from the battery goes through the BEC and to the aircraft, but you take a couple of leads that plug straight into the red/black wires of the servos. So the servo only sends a signal wire to the receiver. Of course, there needs to be a common ground, or otherwise the signal circuit won't close, but since the LiPo/BEC ground also plugs into the receiver, it should be fine.

Comment

Thx...what output voltage are you setting in the Castle?
              I left it at the factory default of 5.1V, although you can change that (4.9v-12.5v) using their free castle link adapter (via a coupon it comes with). Obviously this is the lazy way to do it as opposed to Airguardian method which is cutting edge sophistication. But that's me, old/slow/basic vs his new/hyper speed/state-of-art. Just like his flying compared to mine. It was a leap for me just to start using the HiV batteries in all my aircraft. BTW, the SMC HiV5900's are outstanding in the Mig (actually now use them in all my EDF's). Their weight is a svelte 740g, only 10 gr more than the SMC HiV 5300's and 108 gr less than the SMC HiV 6200's and 170g less than the Admiral 6000's.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I've been flying with the SMC 6200s on my Su-35 and they are game changing. 7min full-aerobatic EDF flights are now a thing :o

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                  I've been flying with the SMC 6200s on my Su-35 and they are game changing. 7min full-aerobatic EDF flights are now a thing :o
                  Are you using the LiHV SMC's?

Comment

• Yes, but so far I've mostly used the 6200s on my Su-35 and done a few tests with 4400s on the MiG-29 and FMS 80mm F-16.

Comment

• Airguardian eerrrttt, did you say FMS 80mm F16?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I'm powering everything, including the PM elevator servos and the TV nozzles by bypassing the stock BEC and using the Castle 20 amp BEC. My flying buddy has the exact same setup on his and they both have worked flawlessly since day one. I'm also using the 10 channel AS3X AR10360T RX along with a separate Hobby Eagle gyro on the TV nozzles. The ProModeler DS 150's are smooth as silk. Also upgraded the elevator control rods with the Hangar Nine titanium rods as I noticed the upgraded rods MRC sent out still could bend. Not the titanium rods! If you set up tailerons, you won't need a servo reverser with the PM servos for the elevator. If you do not, PM also sells a small suitable reverser to plug in line.
                        I do the same and use a Jeti BEC, works great. The first thing i do on all of my MotionRC jets is cut out that BEC, it scares me.

Comment

• So, i maidened my Mig today and TBH it was a lumber pig and had a hard time climbing. I am thinking i might need to re set my ESC's, thoughts?

Flew with 5100mah Carbon cells

Comment

• Originally posted by ElCid View Post
                            So, i maidened my Mig today and TBH it was a lumber pig and had a hard time climbing. I am thinking i might need to re set my ESC's, thoughts?

Flew with 5100mah Carbon cells
                            You should calibrate all new systems. Even more so if flying Spektrum. However, it is a lumbering beast compared to almost every other edf, especially with TV. I prefer to fly with 4500mah packs no more than 650g. I use HV lipos, FMS Pro fans on high timing and it is better. Compared to all single fan edf's, it is a pig though. Not so much with std exhaust, TV robs it of a lot of thrust. My setup bench tests at 7.8kg thrust. Installed ,it barely registers 4.8kg.
                            it is still one of my favourites, but you won't be hovering.

Comment

• I agree. Heavy batteries, heavy plane, flies scale. I would not call mine lumbering even with the older fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                I agree. Heavy batteries, heavy plane, flies scale. I would not call mine lumbering even with the older fans.
                                Yea i wouldn't have though so but it felt really sluggish. It got airborne but the rollout took forever. I will give my TV setup a look and see if I have the nozzles point down a bit (ie driving the nose down). I am going to use the SMC5300 HVLV packs from now on they are 110g lighter than the Admiral 5100 carbons.

BTW has anyone seen any negative effect charging them to 4.35v vs 4.2v? Is there enough overhead in the ESC's to take the additional voltage?

Comment

• The ESCs handle HV without problem.

Comment

Yea i wouldn't have though so but it felt really sluggish. It got airborne but the rollout took forever. I will give my TV setup a look and see if I have the nozzles point down a bit (ie driving the nose down). I am going to use the SMC5300 HVLV packs from now on they are 110g lighter than the Admiral 5100 carbons.

BTW has anyone seen any negative effect charging them to 4.35v vs 4.2v? Is there enough overhead in the ESC's to take the additional voltage?
                                    The TV nozzles do point down very slightly compared to stock at they're marked neutral position. You don't say which version you have. Is it the latest one with the 2150kv motors? Not quite the thrust of the FMS fans I fitted but a big improvement over the older ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alphonso View Post

The TV nozzles do point down very slightly compared to stock at they're marked neutral position. You don't say which version you have. Is it the latest one with the 2150kv motors? Not quite the thrust of the FMS fans I fitted but a big improvement over the older ones.
                                      I got it about 10 months ago so not sure. I'll crack it open tomorrow and let you know. Which fms fans are you referring too? Can you shoot me a link?

Comment

• New fans only been in for about three months so you have the older fan.

Comment

I got it about 10 months ago so not sure. I'll crack it open tomorrow and let you know. Which fms fans are you referring too? Can you shoot me a link?
                                          The fans I have fitted are the fms 3280 2100kv . They require a little foam carving to fit. With this in mind and the fact that they are only slightly stronger than the new FW 2150kv fans fitted to this, the Cougar and Avanti V2 you may want to consider those. The wires from the stock FW esc to the fms motors also need extending, or make extentions. I bought 2 of the new FW 2150kv fans to go in this. Upon testing I found them to not be as strong as the FMS 3280's. The difference is small, at least on low timing but as I had modified the ducts to fit FMS, decided to leave as is. The FW 2150's now reside in my A10 twin 80mm, this now has crazy power, sounds awesome and has much longer flight times due to inrunners being much more efficient at partial throttle.

All this being said, before laying out more money merely on my say so, check and double check your setup as plenty of guys are more than happy with their stock Migs. My opinions are relative as all my other FW single fan planes are 10 and 12S and I'm likely being silly trying to get similar performance from this otherwise excellent model. Plus my other twin 80mm ( A10 ) has more power than it needs, even with stock 9 blade outrunners.

Comment

Working...
                                          X