Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GG- I’m trying to keep things in perspective ;-) My most visited club commonly has cross winds and swirling air at both ends of the runway. The reason I use an AS3X receiver in my L-39. It helps smooth out that foul wind on landings. Until I get several flights in and get a feel for this model, I’ll fly it at my other club. Seems like AS3X may make things worse for this model if it gets bounced around on landing. As for the TV kit, I have a DX9 but would have to get a 10 channel receiver. Maybe sooner than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtconte View Post
      GG- I’m trying to keep things in perspective ;-) My most visited club commonly has cross winds and swirling air at both ends of the runway. The reason I use an AS3X receiver in my L-39. It helps smooth out that foul wind on landings. Until I get several flights in and get a feel for this model, I’ll fly it at my other club. Seems like AS3X may make things worse for this model if it gets bounced around on landing.
      Hmmm….I can’t comment about AS3X. I fly Futaba.

I will say that for all but the last 100 or so flights, I flew the MiG without a gyro. I liked it both with and without the gyro. But worth noting the gyro didn’t save her.

Why not? As stated in my prior post, effective angle of attack caused by gusts MAY NOT always induce a pitch change in the aircraft. Changes in effective angle of attack happens in an instant. The inertia of the plane slows any movement about the three axis of flight.

Gyros respond to aircraft movement! Gyros do not respond to instantaneous changes in effective angle of attack which can happen without a pitch change/movement of the aircraft.

Make your initial flights in good conditions. You’ll appreciate the way she flies…lands like a dream!

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Hmmm….I can’t comment about AS3X. I fly Futaba.

I will say that for all but the last 100 or so flights, I flew the MiG without a gyro. I liked it both with and without the gyro. But worth noting the gyro didn’t save her.

Why not? As stated in my prior post, effective angle of attack caused by gusts MAY NOT always induce a pitch change in the aircraft. Changes in effective angle of attack happens in an instant. The inertia of the plane slows any movement about the three axis of flight.

Gyros respond to aircraft movement! Gyros do not respond to instantaneous changes in effective angle of attack which can happen without a pitch change/movement of the aircraft.

Make your initial flights in good conditions. You’ll appreciate the way she flies…lands like a dream!

-GG
        I gotcha. Thanks!

Comment

• I've never had a gyro in my MiG, I have very few of my planes outfitted with one and other than the Apprentice I keep for training I think all are to keep the tail wag in check or the plane steady in yaw for warbirds..

I personally think the Mig is a great windy day plane, I find it very stable. Yes it will get into alpha lock but with the TVs it's a non issue though does increase the stress waiting that second or two for it to drop the nose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            I've never had a gyro in my MiG, I have very few of my planes outfitted with one and other than the Apprentice I keep for training I think all are to keep the tail wag in check or the plane steady in yaw for warbirds..

I personally think the Mig is a great windy day plane, I find it very stable. Yes it will get into alpha lock but with the TVs it's a non issue though does increase the stress waiting that second or two for it to drop the nose.
            I totally agree “IF” you have TV installed.

Mind didn’t….I flew her a lot on windy days and loved it….UNTIL I didn’t any more after the crash due to not having TV.

-GG

Comment

• I flew mine a "lot" of flights without the TVs and even the original stock servos.... A "lot" for me, not you....

Comment

• Nobody's "a lot" is anything like GG's "a lot".

Comment

• Considering….The few times I got into gust-induced alpha lock (not on purpose, but by surprise) out of “a lot” of flights equates to an EXTREMELY low probability of this happening.

However, as one increases the number of flights, one moves into the realm that the statistical probability is gonna bite you.

Now consider no TV (mine) but it happening with enough altitude to recover, that was the case of 3 alpha locks.

Going farther down the analysis’ path to the one fatal alpha lock, we end up here…..and the following puts it in perspective.

One unrecoverable alpha lock (no TV) in approximately 2000+ flights = great odds in your favor that you are not going to get into that unrecoverable situation.

Unfortunately, as the laws of probability dictate, you “might” get unlucky in just a few flights. Someone does usually win the lottery….albeit so small are the odds of winning.

I’d love to get another MiG! But not until I upgrade my radio to enough channels to drive the TV. Who knows, I could “win the lottery” and crash in the first few flights. Those are unacceptable odds to me….however small. I hate crashing beautiful expensive planes!

-GG

Comment

• How exactly does TV help to get out of the alpha lock situation?

Comment

• Originally posted by jtconte View Post
                      How exactly does TV help to get out of the alpha lock situation?
                      Quite simple….

Without TV, recovery from high alpha lock is done by reducing the throttle to zero, waiting for the nose to fall, easing the throttle back up. THIS REQUIRES ALTITUDE. You won’t recover if you are low. You cannot “power out” of alpha lock. Power holds the nose up and keeps the angle of attack high.

With TV, increase power and move the elevator stick to a nose down position and “wait” a few seconds. Recovery at low altitudes is much more likely. The TV forces the nose low to reduce the angle of attack.

-GG

Comment

• Ok thanks. Just wanted to understand it.

Comment

• Maidened it yesterday. Needed quite a bit of Down trim and some Aileron trim. Had a second or two of drama when I got her inverted and heading down, over and beyond a stand of trees. All ended well though. I think the CG was too far aft and adjusted the batteries positions to move it closer to the mark on the wings. Second flight was less traumatizing. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

• Good job! Now enjoy the MiG!

-GG

Comment

• Hi to those who have both. Which flies better, the freewing F14 or Mig 29? Flight times, feel, weight etc and general performance? Really undecided, but like both airframes. I’ll be using two FMS2100 fan units with 100amp ESCs.

Thanks,

Ant

Comment

• They are very different, the real ones were a generation apart and the models are too. To me, older, retired US Navy (I retired while serving on the USS Constellation which is the graphics the F-14 comes with) and worked on the F-14 it's a must have. The MiG is a more modern and capable bird. As far as the models, the F-14 comes with older out runners, has weak main gear especially for flying off grass. But it flies really well and with wings out is almost a trainer. The MiG has a better inrunner power system, also weak mains and has an issue called alpha lock or falling leaf that you should read about. But the MiG has a more dynamic presence in the air. It's a big plane. For me the MiG is a great plane to fly on windy or cross wind days, very stable. I don't have gyros in either the F-14 or MiG. If you get the MiG it's almost a must to get the thrust vectoring. Not only for the additional maneuverability but also to help get out of the alpha lock it WILL get into.

The F-14 really does need a fan and ESC upgrade. I put the MiG's inrunner fans and ESCs in my second one, the one I'm currently flying. Other than that and cleaning up the battery bays it really doesn't need anything unless you fly off grass and then you should consider the mods to strengthen the fuselage center area.

The MiG, depending on version, needs TVs, upgraded elevator servos, linkage and horns and, in my opinion larger gauge servo extensions. There is really no good way to reenforce the main gear mounting though Glider Guy has done it. In my opinion the stock power is fine.

Both really benefit from time spent in wire management, cleaning up the rats nest of wires.

Flight time, feel and weight... To me with the upgraded power in the Tomcat, the flight times are about the same (I use the same batteries in both too), the Tomcat feels a lot better and is much more relaxing for me to fly. Even with TV I'm always on edge about alpha lock. Weight, good question, I think the MiG is heavier but it doesn't fly heavier, it has a lot of wing. I've had two F-14's, silly me I got bored and sold the first one. After a dozen flights with the MiG I put it up for sale on RCG, then flew it some more and removed the for sale and then did that again, on and off the for sale section two more times. It's just not fun to fly but it really is impressive in the air. And it's currently for sale... For now...

Comment

• Evan,

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I think it’s incredible you worked on the F14. I’m a Brit but the F14 was always Iconic. It’s a really hard choice as yes I’ve read up a lot about the alpha lock so the thrust vectoring is a good addition to hopefully negate that. It’s a shame as I like the updated EDF package on the Mig but the 14 slightly more in appearance. I will take your advice and have a think. I basically have two FMS 80mm power systems and esc’s. I think the Al37 may be in the mix too. I wonder if freewing will ever upgrade the tomcat! If you have any other considerations please add. Thanks Evan.

Ant

Comment

• You’re very welcome.

I started on A-6’s but went on to F-4’s, A-7’s too. After that I went into calibration even though I was in EP-3, E-A3 and E-S3 squadrons. I had a great career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donjay25 View Post
                                      Evan,

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I think it’s incredible you worked on the F14. I’m a Brit but the F14 was always Iconic. It’s a really hard choice as yes I’ve read up a lot about the alpha lock so the thrust vectoring is a good addition to hopefully negate that. It’s a shame as I like the updated EDF package on the Mig but the 14 slightly more in appearance. I will take your advice and have a think. I basically have two FMS 80mm power systems and esc’s. I think the Al37 may be in the mix too. I wonder if freewing will ever upgrade the tomcat! If you have any other considerations please add. Thanks Evan.

Ant
                                      Just something to think about, the FW F-14 has been around for years and I have had three so far, great flyers and awesome to look at with the wings swept back on a low photo pass, but I wonder when the time is up on the F-14 as for production compared to the Mig which is new, might want to get you an F-14 now and have fun with it, just saying is all, but then again, I'm not a Mig person anyway so that would settle my decision on that......

Comment

• Did anyone else pick up a Red Star MiG-29OVT now that they're back in stock? I picked up one as a backup to my 'Grey Ghost' should something happen to it. At least I'll finally have a Red Star MiG back in my hangar, it's a shame they didn't have it from the get go along with the standard grey MiG.

Comment

• Curious.. my intent is to get a MiG-29’ and fly it in a scale airshow parade type manner - no hard 3D or anything.

I read the comments with interest though. “TV a must” “not really fun to fly” “great presence”. That’s some good but also some bad. My original intent was to get a non TV Mig to keep her light and paint her in a custom scheme. But now not sure.

Question 1 - if the grey ghost scheme with no TV comes back into stock, will it have upgraded servos and linkage?

Question 2 - Does the TV MiG have upgraded servos and linkages? Are there other weak links to the design that need tending right off the bat like the stabilizer servos, linkages, for example, etc?

Question 3 - I like big multi engine jets (love my A-10) are you guys at all aware of a big forthcoming twin F-18 or similar A or F bigger pointy nose jet on the way? I’m not much on the inside track knowledge pipeline these days. I’m aware of the B-1 and that has my attention too…

The -29 is super interesting to me and I will be painting it in a custom operational scheme (Camo) but the issues with the design have kept me away - though like a moth to the flame I keep flying by ready to singe my wings with delight while trying to stay entirely out of the inferno. Not always possible when a good wing singe is so dang much fun.

Comment

Working...
                                          X