Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's different, flys smooth, does tricks, lands well. It is not a 3D monster if that is what you want. Remembering your posts I don't think you would be happy with any of the planes I have except the old V1 F-18 which is highly modified. You would be happy with a SU-35.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV new.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	366012Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1342 (2).jpg
Views:	536
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	366013

The F-18

Name:	EE97605C-065E-4BEB-A2D2-DED08E208A22.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	366014

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      It's different, flys smooth, does tricks, lands well. It is not a 3D monster if that is what you want. Remembering your posts I don't think you would be happy with any of the planes I have except the old V1 F-18 which is highly modified. You would be happy with a SU-35.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TV new.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	366012Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_1342 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	366013

The F-18

Click image for larger version  Name:	EE97605C-065E-4BEB-A2D2-DED08E208A22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	242.5 KB ID:	366014
      I have always liked the gripen Doesn't have to be a 3d monster but having thrust vectoring makes me so much happier. I have owned the su35 twice and my first jet ever was the f18 with thrust vectoring like your photo, loved that jet, looks and performance were second to none.

Comment

It's different, flys smooth, does tricks, lands well. It is not a 3D monster if that is what you want. Remembering your posts I don't think you would be happy with any of the planes I have except the old V1 F-18 which is highly modified. You would be happy with a SU-35.

Name:	TV new.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	366012Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1342 (2).jpg
Views:	536
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	366013

The F-18

Name:	EE97605C-065E-4BEB-A2D2-DED08E208A22.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	366014
        off topic. your profile pic shows a sport bike, is it a hyabusa. I ride sportbikes. I just traded my cbr 1000rr for a 2022 ducati streetfighter v4

Comment

• The Gripen and F-18 fly very similar how I have them. The Gripen is 8S with a fairly light 8s fan/ motor/ battery set up. I mod'ed the linkage for the canards for a lot more throw and have the CG way back from the factory spot. The F-18 is a V1 with the much better horizontal stabs and their mounts, the V-2's retracts and the fan/ motor/ ESC from the new FW F/A-18C. Very light, way better than 1:1 and TVs. I liked the V1 more than the V2, the flaps on the V2 just added weight.

1998 R1, first year of the R1 and uber low serial number one of the very first ones sold to the public.

Comment

The Gripen and F-18 fly very similar how I have them. The Gripen is 8S with a fairly light 8s fan/ motor/ battery set up. I mod'ed the linkage for the canards for a lot more throw and have the CG way back from the factory spot. The F-18 is a V1 with the much better horizontal stabs and their mounts, the V-2's retracts and the fan/ motor/ ESC from the new FW F/A-18C. Very light, way better than 1:1 and TVs. I liked the V1 more than the V2, the flaps on the V2 just added weight.

1998 R1, first year of the R1 and uber low serial number one of the very first ones sold to the public.
            R1 is bad ass. I like the cross plane motors in them. IM getting older thats why I traded my cbr 1000rr in for the streetfighter. Its a tad better on my back and neck> I just put 1k miles on it for the break in and had it flashed on the dyno. 193hp at the rear tire. The bike is wicked fast and light

Comment

It doesn't feel locked in and stable. When I do a flip or post stall something it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that other planes do. My current list, with MY opinions...
              MiG-29 80mm, flys ok..
              F-14 Tomcat, my second one, liked the first love the second with the MiG29 fans and ESCs. I retired from the Navy off the Constellation so it has a special place.
              F-22 Raptor, my second one, love love love this but it's on 8S with TVs and I have a ton of extra programming in it.
              F/A-18 Hornet, I like it. On 8S, I just don't fly it as much as I should. Every time I do I ask myself why not.
              F/A-18E TV The old old Hornet with TVs. Highly modified V1. My third one. Awesome flying.
              F-4 Phantom II, on 8S, repainted Blue Angels. Flys great
              F-104, second one. An on your toes plane like the MiG 29.
              Mig-17, The Hobby King Avios, repainted but otherwise stock. One of the smoothest fying planes I've ever owned. No 3D, just smooth scale flying
              Gripen TV, My favorite EDF. 8S, repainted, TV's just a smile every time I fly it
              Gripen NO TV, Also my favorite EDF. Stock 6S, no repaint, no TV, just a smile every time I fly it
              L-39 Albatros, Great great everyday jet flys a lot like the Avanti sport jet.
              Mirage 2000, number 4? Love them for their speed, roll rate and high alpha.
              A-6E Intruder, second one, a repaint of the plane I worked on in VA-115 on the USS Midway. Flys ok
              A-4C Skyhawk, a repaint of my squadrons (VA-66) for their Med cruise in the 60's.
              F-86, Second one, great first EDF. I have FPV in this
              Avanti, third one, great first EDF
              B-2 Spirit, special day airplane. Flys and looks great but landings take special care
              Vulcan, awesome
              F-16, the FW 70mm with a much hotter set up. My second and I have my third in a box waiting. Awesome
              Yak-130, the FW 70mm with a much hotter set up. My third and I have my fourth in a box waiting. Awesome. I have FPV in this
              Mig-29 64mm. My second and a third in the box waiting. Awesome when balance right
              F-16 64mm (6S) FW 64mm, has the extra servos to make it fly better and a 6S set up. I have a spare in the box in case...
              F-16 64mm (4S) FW 64mm, stock, surprising how well it flys. I have a spare in the box in case...
              Rafale FMS 64mm on 6S. It's ok but I have others I prefer flying. Excellent high alpha and flat spins
              Banshee, second and another new in the box. On a very high ouput 6S set up, full span ailerons and tailerons, a rocket ship. Awesome, everyone should have one.
              Stinger 64 on 6S, tailerons. Great plane, really great until the Banshee came out, now it sits there hoping to be flown
              Stinger 64 on 4S One of my oldest EDFs, bought from Hobby King before FreeWing was FreeWing. Still in great shape and flying well
              F86 Alfa old EDF still going strong but beat up...
              ​​
              Thanks for such a detailed list. Not to take it away from the mig forum topic. I think the Freewing 90mm f18 is looking like a good option. How would you compare it to the mig? I think the f18 has always been a pretty plane. The fms 70mm flew smooth and silky. Thanks all for your comments.

Comment

• Very stable. Good flyer with no bad habits. No TVs so none of the flippity floppity of the big MiG.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunbeam View Post
                  I just saw this video on YouTube and took a look especially on the landing between 5:00 and 5:18:

00:00 Intro01:33 Flight05:17 Maiden Flight Results DiscussedPlane: Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Digital Camo Twin 80mm EDF JetPilot: Mike S.Field: KCRC (Knox Coun...

The landing approach is not fast; at 5:06 the pilot calls "flaps down" (this means it is not the scenario "flying full speed with flaps down"). At about 5:14 one could see a sudden nose down of the MiG. The pilot accelerates (one can hear the EDF go up) and could prevent a crash.

Now I wonder why the MiG all of a sudden put the nose down...? The speed was ok, for me it was a normal landing approach. Was he too slow and was the CG too much forward? Is there a problem with flying at cruise speed with flaps down? Or was the sudden dive a deliberate steering from the pilot and not the MiG itself?
                  The pilot admitted it was his error on approach , too steep and not enough power. Noting to do with the plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElCid View Post

The pilot admitted it was his error on approach , too steep and not enough power. Noting to do with the plane.
                    Thank you for the information! That is good to hear! I admit that it was very difficult for me to understand what he was saying 😄

Comment

• Originally posted by Donjay25 View Post

Thanks for such a detailed list. Not to take it away from the mig forum topic. I think the Freewing 90mm f18 is looking like a good option. How would you compare it to the mig? I think the f18 has always been a pretty plane. The fms 70mm flew smooth and silky. Thanks all for your comments.
                      I have the mig 29 and the f18 hornet blue angel with 90mm fan. imho they both dissapoint me. The f18 flys like a lethargic rock in the air, just like the mig 29 but at least the mig has t.v to make some fun.I I even installed a jet fan het motor combo on 6s and it still sucks. If you buy it, buy the arf and run it on 8s. I will say on 6s the blue angel f18 is probably the worst foam jet ive ever owned. I dont ever fly it and its new. Prettty much a bed for my cat

Comment

• You should sell it.

Comment

You should sell it.
                          ive been trying locally. The f18 is so bad that I do believe theirs a problem with the thrust tubes or exhausts, maybe something else from the factory. It really is terrible.

Comment

• Has anyone who bought the red star mig 29 with pre installed thrust vectoring had a chance to fly it yet. I have got 6 flights on mine and its very bad. Im curious to see if anyone has aa thrust problem on the pre made tv mig 29. MIne has barely enough thrust to stay airborne. It doesnt have enough thrust to do a loop and vertical climbs are limited to about 100ft. THe thrust angle appears to be off center and leaning to the outside of each tube. THe thrust tube angle is not perpindicular to the rear of fuselage, not even close. I have played with the angles and adjusted the esc timing on low, medium and high and nothing changes, when I say esc I mean each esc I program seperately. Ivce done everything with esc radio calibration etc. and im using new smc and gens ace batteries. too my eyes it looks like the thrust tube ends with t.v are of a poor quality and poor installation. I really hope this design doesnt lose a large percentage of thrust due to the inferior design. btw I flew the f18 today and its a barn burner compared to the mig 29. I will have my speedo installed lter today and I will bet top speed is about 85 mph at best.Usually I dont ask for advice but Im fairly new to plankers but this seems odd.

Comment

• Originally posted by dbirds2 View Post
                              Has anyone who bought the red star mig 29 with pre installed thrust vectoring had a chance to fly it yet. I have got 6 flights on mine and its very bad. Im curious to see if anyone has aa thrust problem on the pre made tv mig 29. MIne has barely enough thrust to stay airborne. It doesnt have enough thrust to do a loop and vertical climbs are limited to about 100ft. THe thrust angle appears to be off center and leaning to the outside of each tube. THe thrust tube angle is not perpindicular to the rear of fuselage, not even close. I have played with the angles and adjusted the esc timing on low, medium and high and nothing changes, when I say esc I mean each esc I program seperately. Ivce done everything with esc radio calibration etc. and im using new smc and gens ace batteries. too my eyes it looks like the thrust tube ends with t.v are of a poor quality and poor installation. I really hope this design doesnt lose a large percentage of thrust due to the inferior design. btw I flew the f18 today and its a barn burner compared to the mig 29. I will have my speedo installed lter today and I will bet top speed is about 85 mph at best.Usually I dont ask for advice but Im fairly new to plankers but this seems odd.
                              I dont have the red star but i did spend quite a bit of time adjusting my TV outlets so they are level, square each other and to the jet's outlet tubes, they did look cross-eyed when first installed them. I also lined the outlet tubes with mylar tape to cut down on any resistance but who really knows if that helps. Still waiting on a chance to maiden her but on the bench, she pulls like a SOB.

Comment

• Originally posted by dbirds2 View Post

ive been trying locally. The f18 is so bad that I do believe theirs a problem with the thrust tubes or exhausts, maybe something else from the factory. It really is terrible.
                                Hahaha... the F18 is a great flyer with plenty of power!

Comment

• I read something interesting: In the JETPower-magazine 1/2023 is an article from Philip Baum, in which he writes from his Skymaster F/A-18C Hornet. He observed the following: As he extented the flaps, the Hornet put her nose down and he had no control of the elevator anymore. He would have crashed if he did not retract the flaps and gained elevator control again.

After that he got in contact to others flying the Skymaster Hornet, also guys from USA. Some of them knew the problem and the solution seems to be:
                                  (a) Use very strong servos for elevator, in this case up to 70kg at 7,4V
                                  (b) Use premium cable for elevator servos (like the cable from Hacker or PowerboxSystems as discussed before in this thread)

I found this observation quite interesting because it seems to be similar to the observation on the MiG-29. Reading that I am glad that I set up the elevators of my MiG with MKS HBL550 servos (38kg at 8,2V) with premium cable from Hacker.
                                  I installed them in that way that the pushrod is parallel to the fuselage. But now the pushrod touches the elevator when moving - ouch ;) I still have to solve that problem...

Comment

• So ive spent some time with this jet now and its not going to get better. I got 108mph out of it on a good day but with the sheer weight of this beast you need imho about 130mph plus to really have some fun with thrust vectoring. Ive added some reflex into the wings and it made a difference of about 4 mph on average. I dont have ay data to back this up but I think the thrust vector version is losing alot of thrust versus the non t.v version. On the other hand I added thrust vectoring to my f22 raptor and its on 10s. MY f22 will fly circles around the mig in every way and I got a 140 mph gps reading of it. THe f22 is exceptional, very aerobatic and very fast, keeps you on your toes. THe mig 29 I can just raise throttl stick to 100% for the entire flight grab a coffee and smoke and chill out while flying with my right stick. THrottle needs to be at 80 percent or better just to keep it airborne. If anyone is interested I am looking to trade this mig for a su35 in excellent condition or a gripen straight across for my mig 29. mig 29 is new with 15

Comment

• DOES MOTION RC not allow honest reviews for purchased products on their website.?.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunbeam View Post
                                        I read something interesting: In the JETPower-magazine 1/2023 is an article from Philip Baum, in which he writes from his Skymaster F/A-18C Hornet. He observed the following: As he extented the flaps, the Hornet put her nose down and he had no control of the elevator anymore. He would have crashed if he did not retract the flaps and gained elevator control again.

After that he got in contact to others flying the Skymaster Hornet, also guys from USA. Some of them knew the problem and the solution seems to be:
                                        (a) Use very strong servos for elevator, in this case up to 70kg at 7,4V
                                        (b) Use premium cable for elevator servos (like the cable from Hacker or PowerboxSystems as discussed before in this thread)

I found this observation quite interesting because it seems to be similar to the observation on the MiG-29. Reading that I am glad that I set up the elevators of my MiG with MKS HBL550 servos (38kg at 8,2V) with premium cable from Hacker.
                                        I installed them in that way that the pushrod is parallel to the fuselage. But now the pushrod touches the elevator when moving - ouch ;) I still have to solve that problem...
                                        Although it's never a bad thing to have stronger components, especially with respect to elevator servos in this MiG29, "observations" should also be tempered with regard to other details. In this particular case, such as size of flaps and elevators, deployment speed of flaps and possibly other factors that have not immediately come to mind. Shortly after Freewing sent out stronger servos, I recorded a flight with a pylon cam to see the effects the flaps had when deployed 1/2 and full, at speed. My flap deployment speed was set at around 2 to 3 seconds, going full throttle and at max speed. No dive was experienced and elevator control remained. Aside from this experiment, IF the elevators were "blanked out" by the flaps, thus resulting in zero elevator effectiveness, what does it matter how super strong the elevator servos and/or how good the cabling were?

Comment

• I will cut ties with this mig 29 for 450 dollars. Im serious. text me if interested at 4255907303. Im in washington state if anyone local wants to buy.

Comment

Working...
                                          X