Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks!

Comment

• Well i found out the y connector for throttle was bad. New y harness. One engine would not start till quarter throttle

Comment

• I just assembled my red star mig-29. The right fan/motor was not running. I swapped the motor and right side still not running. I then disconnected the left side and the right fan runs. It seems that both fans and ESCs are good but if both fans are connected, only the left runs.

I had a Mig-29 when they just came out and I don't remember having to do anything special to get them running. I did calibrated the ESCs initially but that didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• Bad y connector?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            Bad y connector?
            Thanks Evan! Please excuse my ignorance, but where would this Y connector be? Is it in the open around the battery compartments or inside behind the aft battery?

I attached couple of images. The Reverse/Brake feature is cool.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by N4Speed; Sep 24, 2023, 12:34 PM. Reason: Uploaded Images

Comment

• I hate to say but I don't remember. Sorry.

Comment

• I call Motion RC and talked with Tim. He asked me to disconnect the throttle from the Y-split on the side that was running and go through ESC calibration with the throttle trim all the way down. The right side started to work but now the left was not running. We tried this couple of more times and got both side running.

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
                  where would this Y connector be?
                  You are holding it in your hand on the pic!

Glad to see you sorted it out already, Godspeed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Ok, so I finally came around to writing down my current radio settings (Reflecting a Taranis X9D+, OTx 2.3.10 setup), not so the actual measured travel in mm, that maybe for another day, this is time consuming...

Have to consider: Linkages are all on the factory recommended holes both in servo arms and horns and using the stock servos EXCEPT the tailerons, which I replaced to Corona DS-238MG and installed the linkage on the innermost servo arm hole.

INPUTS PAGE [First value is 'weight', second value (EXX) is the expo]
                    Ail 100 - E60
                    Ele 100 - E65
                    Thr 100
                    Rud 45 - E50 (SD UP)
                    60 - E50 (SD CENTER)
                    75 - E60 (SD DOWN)

EleT 35 - E65 (SD UP)
                    55 - E65 (SD CENTER)
                    65 - E65 (SD DOWN)

AilT 30 - E60 (SD UP)
                    35 - E60 (SD CENTER)
                    65 - E65 (SD DOWN)

MIXES PAGE [The value is the 'weight' and after comes the input that actuates on this channel. Red lines are prepared but not currently active]

CH1 100 Ail (TV-Rol - Not in use yet)
                    CH2 -100 Ele (TV-Pitch - Not in use yet)
                    CH3 100 Rud (TV-Yaw - Not in use yet)
                    CH4 100 SB (Gyro Mode - Not in use yet)
                    CH5 100 S1 (TV Gyro Gain - Not in use yet)
                    CH6 100 S2 (Tailerons Gyro Gain - Not in use yet)

CH7 100 AilT (Taileron LEFT)
                    += 100 EleT

CH8 100 AilT (Taileron RIGHT)
                    += -100 EleT

CH9 -100 Rud (Rudders)
                    CH10 100 Thr (Throttle)
                    CH11 100 AilT (Ailerons)
                    CH12 0 MAX FM 0--345678 (Flaps)
                    := 20 MAX FM -1-------
                    := 30 MAX FM --2------

CH13 -100 MAX (Landing Gear)
                    := 100 MAX

CH14 -100 Rud (Wheel Steering) <-- I adjust offset here
                    := -20 Rud

CH15 (Pan - Not yet in use)
                    CH16 (Tilt - Not yet in use)

OUTPUTS PAGE [Endpoints]

CH1 TV Rol -130/130
                    CH2 TV Pit -130/130
                    CH3 TV Yaw -130/130
                    ​​​​​​​CH4 GyMode -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH5 TVGain -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH6 TlGain -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH7 Tail-L -150/150
                    ​​​​​​​CH8 Tail-R -150/150
                    ​​​​​​​CH9 Rudder -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH10 THR -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH11 Ailerons -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH12 Flaps -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH13 LGear -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH14 Wheel -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH15 Pan -100/100
                    ​​​​​​​CH16 Tilt -100/100

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    That's it for my radio setup, but here it is "translated" to something easier to grasp for implementation on other Tx:

'ENDPOINTS': All normal maximum (100%), extended 130% for TV and 150% for stabs.

Travel Limits (Triple-Rate)
                    ROLL 30/35/65
                    PITCH 35/55/65
                    YAW 45/60/75

Exponentials (Triple-Rate)
                    ROLL 60/60/65
                    PITCH 65/65/65
                    YAW 50/50/60
                    (Precision flight/Aerobatic flight/Aerobatics+increased roll)

DISCLAIMER: This is not a final configuration, I am still tweaking things, it's just what I currently use. I basically fly only at high rates so the mid and low rates are probably not set up 'as well'. Weights and expo apply different on different transmitter brands, so don't take the numbers at 'face value'. This setup has 'kinda limited' stab throws due to the use of the innermost servo hole on the stab servos (for servo overload concerns) AND the fact that the tailerons LE rubs with the vertical stabs, but should be 'expandable' with a few adjustments. This served me as a testbed to begin experimenting with the MiG and has worked well so far, but I don't plan on staying with this setup forever.

I will update when I settle on a more mature configuration.

I'm having fun flying with your settings.
                    I'm thinking of installing TV next.
                    Is a gyro unnecessary for TV?​
                    Please show me your TV settings.

Comment

• Glad to hear that!

A gyro is not necessary per se, but the MiG would greatly benefit from it so I encourage installing one or two.
                      My TV settings have nothing special, just full throws with quite some expo. And they act in all the 3 axis. Simple ;)

Comment

• Ok guys...just got my Red Star Mig and ready to assemble. I've read the entire forum here (and some on RCG). Looks like MRC upgraded the elev sero to 30g (55oz-in) and beefed up pushrods. With TV, do you still think it needs MKS or Pro Modeler elev servos? And if MKS HV69, with the lower voltage requirement, can it run off the BEC (recommends 2S lipo)? I'm using a 10 channel receiver so plan to bypass flight controls directly. Does anybody know if they upgraded the servo extensions to the elevators (soon to be tailerons)?

Comment

• Hi Sleepdog,

My 2 cents….which I will definitely do when I buy another:
                          1) Install the heavier gauge wires to the taileron servos.
                          2) Beef up the foam area around the mains as discussed in this forum.
                          3) Install the MKS HV69…I use these on all my single point of failure elevator birds. Supply them with the voltage and current they are spec’d for.
                          4) Install RF chokes.
                          5) Get the CG back 5 mm aft of mark.

Have fun!

-GG

PS Discussing options: There is no reverse HV69, so you will need to rewire the internals. Or…..Install a servo reverser….or buy a servo that fits and has a reverse option. I went with a servo reverser from Futaba. Never had any issues with this reverser. Or….perhaps your radio allows setting up each servo direction individually.

FEATURES: DIMENSIONS (EXCLUDING PROTRUSIONS AND CORD): 38 mm x 23 mm x 10 mm WEIGHT(EXCLUDING PROTRUSIONS AND CORD): 24 g…

Comment

• Thx GG! How did you power the tailerons tho. If I go 2S lipo, then everything is now 7+ volts.

Comment

• With tailerons you don't need to worry about a reversed servo...

If I bought another I'd use the stock stuff. Maybe upgrade the elevator extensions but I would bypass most of the MCBe and take out the ribbon cables to the wings. Tailerons, crow and rudder air brakes as I have in my current one. But if it come with the reversing ESCs I might forgo the crow. I want a new RWB one but would need to sell my old grey one.

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                              Hi Sleepdog,

My 2 cents….which I will definitely do when I buy another:
                              1) Install the heavier gauge wires to the taileron servos.
                              2) Beef up the foam area around the mains as discussed in this forum.
                              3) Install the MKS HV69…I use these on all my single point of failure elevator birds. Supply them with the voltage and current they are spec’d for.
                              4) Install RF chokes.
                              5) Get the CG back 5 mm aft of mark.

Have fun!

-GG

PS Discussing options: There is no reverse HV69, so you will need to rewire the internals. Or…..Install a servo reverser….or buy a servo that fits and has a reverse option. I went with a servo reverser from Futaba. Never had any issues with this reverser. Or….perhaps your radio allows setting up each servo direction individually.

https://futabausa.com/product/ubs3253/

Comment

• I was using a simple Futaba 6 ch rig and the stock BEC that came with the original non-VT MiG. I also did not have aileron / elevator mix.

To answer your question…for that bird…

6S to BEC to receiver to reverser to elevators.

Others will need to chime in for your set-up.

-GG

Comment

• I personally noticed an improvement in the handling when I moved to the ProModeler servos.

Comment

• From the 30g servos with metal arms?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                      I personally noticed an improvement in the handling when I moved to the ProModeler servos.
                                      Yes, did you upgrade and see iimprovements from the 30g RS Mig?

Comment

• No, I had installed a couple of Corona DS-238MGs already as an upgrade from what came stock with the plane, as I didn't trust those servos to begin with for the task. And still noticed an upgrade even compared to these.

Comment

• Ok, thx all ...I'll upgrade. Can't hurt, may save!

Comment

Working...
                                          X