Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Go grab an 80mm Mirage!
    I just took a look. MIrage looks to be much better at performance than this dang mig 29 or f18

Comment

• I just saw this video on YouTube and took a look especially on the landing between 5:00 and 5:18:

00:00 Intro01:33 Flight05:17 Maiden Flight Results DiscussedPlane: Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Digital Camo Twin 80mm EDF JetPilot: Mike S.Field: KCRC (Knox Coun...

The landing approach is not fast; at 5:06 the pilot calls "flaps down" (this means it is not the scenario "flying full speed with flaps down"). At about 5:14 one could see a sudden nose down of the MiG. The pilot accelerates (one can hear the EDF go up) and could prevent a crash.

Now I wonder why the MiG all of a sudden put the nose down...? The speed was ok, for me it was a normal landing approach. Was he too slow and was the CG too much forward? Is there a problem with flying at cruise speed with flaps down? Or was the sudden dive a deliberate steering from the pilot and not the MiG itself?

Comment

• Originally posted by sunbeam View Post
        I just saw this video on YouTube and took a look especially on the landing between 5:00 and 5:18:

00:00 Intro01:33 Flight05:17 Maiden Flight Results DiscussedPlane: Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Digital Camo Twin 80mm EDF JetPilot: Mike S.Field: KCRC (Knox Coun...

The landing approach is not fast; at 5:06 the pilot calls "flaps down" (this means it is not the scenario "flying full speed with flaps down"). At about 5:14 one could see a sudden nose down of the MiG. The pilot accelerates (one can hear the EDF go up) and could prevent a crash.

Now I wonder why the MiG all of a sudden put the nose down...? The speed was ok, for me it was a normal landing approach. Was he too slow and was the CG too much forward? Is there a problem with flying at cruise speed with flaps down? Or was the sudden dive a deliberate steering from the pilot and not the MiG itself?
        Most perplexing!

In over 3,000 flights, my MiG-29 never did that. Typically, a set-up on final would be with 25% power (or a bit less), flaps, and eventually into a slight nose-up attitude settling into ground effect...then ease off the throttle for touch down. She's a floater, but needs the CG to be aft of the marks as noted in several prior posts.

What ended her life was the deep stall / alpha lock at too low of an altitude to recover. I didn't have thrust vectoring....and should have. UGH.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by sunbeam View Post
          I just saw this video on YouTube and took a look especially on the landing between 5:00 and 5:18:

When he deployed flaps, the plane still flew well in the short time afterwards. It wasn't till he was close to touch down that it dove. I think he misjudged the landing approach angle and also the plane got too slow and made the elevators ineffective. At that speed and the fact this is a fairly heavy airplane, with full flaps, the elevators may have been blanked out, nosed down and hit the ground hard. I don't think it's a good idea to have such a steep angle of attack on approach, at that speed and that close to the runway. So, in that sense, it wasn't a "normal" landing approach (for this plane). I find this plane needs a "planned" approach, where it comes in on a long, shallow descent, with flaps and some throttle, nose slightly UP and decreasing altitude to the runway by regulating throttle, nose coming up more and more prior to touchdown.

Comment

• Originally posted by da_matae View Post
            hey folks!
            winter season has started and i started working on some mods (geardoors with lights, acl, position lights, aux inlets, airbrakes, fiberglassing, and hopefully a new paint scheme)
            has anybody done one or another of those mods. cheers!
            I did all the mods you are wanting and build pictures , check them out at my Facebook page...FANS OF WILLIAM JACKSON CUSTOM RC PLANES, or my YOUTUBE channel for videos WILLIAM JACKSON CUSTOM RC PLANES.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_155638.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	365635

Name:	20210309_155238.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	365634

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1615265019120.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	365633
            BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post

I did all the mods you are wanting and build pictures , check them out at my Facebook page...FANS OF WILLIAM JACKSON CUSTOM RC PLANES, or my YOUTUBE channel for videos WILLIAM JACKSON CUSTOM RC PLANES.

Views:	444
ID:	365635

Name:	20210309_155238.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	365634

Click image for larger version Name:	FB_IMG_1615265019120.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	365633

absolutely astonishing! what a piece of art!

Comment

absolutely astonishing! what a piece of art!
                Thank you sir.
                My mods where :
                scale canopy
                Speed brakes
                Parachute
                Scale landing lights 3
                leading edge slats
                Revits
                Aux air intakes
                Scale landing doors
                Working camera
                After burners
                BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• i have now watched all your mig videos on Youtube. have to say, i am impressed. i did the door mod with landinglights as well but I'm not sure where to put the servos. you have put yours into the fuselage, do you have no interference with the battery and the servo horns?
                  i appreciate your work sir!!! thanks for sharing your knowledge :)!

Comment

i have now watched all your mig videos on Youtube. have to say, i am impressed. i did the door mod with landinglights as well but I'm not sure where to put the servos. you have put yours into the fuselage, do you have no interference with the battery and the servo horns?
                    i appreciate your work sir!!! thanks for sharing your knowledge :)!

Thank you .
                    Your placement of the servo will work.
                    I put mine just on the inside and used a cable to pull the door closed.

Name:	1675.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	365719Click image for larger version

Name:	1692.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	365720Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_160510.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	365721Click image for larger version

Views:	439
ID:	365722Click image for larger version

Name:	20210308_160253.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	365723

Comment

• Jetman, that is a lovely plane and incredibly impressive.

Hi all, I’ve have gotten round to reading the entire thread. I am looking to getting the Mig 29, however I see they have released a model that comes inclusive of thrust vectoring which is cheaper than purchasing separately. Considering the alpha lock situation, I understand that the TV could help. Is the TVA big step up from standard edf flight? Also is the grey paint chrome hard to track? I’ve never flown a large jet but own and fly the FMS Futura, freewing venom, freewing 70mm f17 and e flite A10. Could this be the next progression? Thanks all-Jay.

Comment

• Since there is a TV option I wouldn't fly this without it. I can see it fine but I know others have difficulty tracking an all gray plane or even a mostly gray one, the Gripen being a good example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donjay25 View Post
                          Jetman, that is a lovely plane and incredibly impressive.

Hi all, I’ve have gotten round to reading the entire thread. I am looking to getting the Mig 29, however I see they have released a model that comes inclusive of thrust vectoring which is cheaper than purchasing separately. Considering the alpha lock situation, I understand that the TV could help. Is the TVA big step up from standard edf flight? Also is the grey paint chrome hard to track? I’ve never flown a large jet but own and fly the FMS Futura, freewing venom, freewing 70mm f17 and e flite A10. Could this be the next progression? Thanks all-Jay.
                          personally I would say the mig 29 is more scary cause its size and weight but actualy flying and landing is imho easier to handle thaan the futura, venom and aa10. You will have no issues. THe gray is hard to see but the jet moves fairly slow through the sky. You will be fine.

Comment

• Thanks for the replies guys. I will opt for the TVs then. The grey does look nicer but the red is cool! What flight times are you getting with mixed throttle use on 5000s and 6000s? Also on motion rc vid, James puts the battery on the front tray whith VT installed but is it still best to use centre and aft tray?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              Since there is a TV option I wouldn't fly this without it. I can see it fine but I know others have difficulty tracking an all gray plane or even a mostly gray one, the Gripen being a good example.
                              I vaguely remember you mentioning you were selling yours previously(I could have gotten that wrong). Do you still enjoy flying it and is it a plane you’d look forward to flying. Just trying to gauge the style of plane that it is. For example I enjoy flying the freewing Venum, good speed, it can cruise, decent flight time 4-6 minutes and is stable etc.

Comment

• I get 5 1/2 on 5200's. I have flown with 830g 6000's but prefer the lighter feel with the 645g 5200. With the 5200 I use the front and rear bay. With 6000 the middle and aft. BUT that all depends on the set up and batteries you will use. I moved everything as far aft as possible and do use a balance a bit behind the CG marks.

I did put it up for sale (everything is for sale at the right price) but didn't get any reasonable offers. I do fly it still but it is nowhere near a favorite. Others at my field do like it when I fly it as it's got a big presence in the air and does great flips, flat spins and "post stall maneuvers".

Originally posted by Donjay25 View Post
                                Thanks for the replies guys. I will opt for the TVs then. The grey does look nicer but the red is cool! What flight times are you getting with mixed throttle use on 5000s and 6000s? Also on motion rc vid, James puts the battery on the front tray whith VT installed but is it still best to use centre and aft tray?

Comment

I get 5 1/2 on 5200's. I have flown with 830g 6000's but prefer the lighter feel with the 645g 5200. With the 5200 I use the front and rear bay. With 6000 the middle and aft. BUT that all depends on the set up and batteries you will use. I moved everything as far aft as possible and do use a balance a bit behind the CG marks.

I did put it up for sale (everything is for sale at the right price) but didn't get any reasonable offers. I do fly it still but it is nowhere near a favorite. Others at my field do like it when I fly it as it's got a big presence in the air and does great flips, flat spins and "post stall maneuvers".

Okay that’s great information, thank you.

what don’t you like about it and what do you like about it? I’m currently looking for a new plane, I love the look of the mig and the F14 but I hear the F14 flutes heavier etc. also what’s your favourite EDFs? (Looking for ideas)

Comment

• It doesn't feel locked in and stable. When I do a flip or post stall something it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that other planes do. My current list, with MY opinions...
                                    MiG-29 80mm, flys ok..
                                    F-14 Tomcat, my second one, liked the first love the second with the MiG29 fans and ESCs. I retired from the Navy off the Constellation so it has a special place.
                                    F-22 Raptor, my second one, love love love this but it's on 8S with TVs and I have a ton of extra programming in it.
                                    F/A-18 Hornet, I like it. On 8S, I just don't fly it as much as I should. Every time I do I ask myself why not.
                                    F/A-18E TV The old old Hornet with TVs. Highly modified V1. My third one. Awesome flying.
                                    F-4 Phantom II, on 8S, repainted Blue Angels. Flys great
                                    F-104, second one. An on your toes plane like the MiG 29.
                                    Mig-17, The Hobby King Avios, repainted but otherwise stock. One of the smoothest fying planes I've ever owned. No 3D, just smooth scale flying
                                    Gripen TV, My favorite EDF. 8S, repainted, TV's just a smile every time I fly it
                                    Gripen NO TV, Also my favorite EDF. Stock 6S, no repaint, no TV, just a smile every time I fly it
                                    L-39 Albatros, Great great everyday jet flys a lot like the Avanti sport jet.
                                    Mirage 2000, number 4? Love them for their speed, roll rate and high alpha.
                                    A-6E Intruder, second one, a repaint of the plane I worked on in VA-115 on the USS Midway. Flys ok
                                    A-4C Skyhawk, a repaint of my squadrons (VA-66) for their Med cruise in the 60's.
                                    F-86, Second one, great first EDF. I have FPV in this
                                    Avanti, third one, great first EDF
                                    B-2 Spirit, special day airplane. Flys and looks great but landings take special care
                                    Vulcan, awesome
                                    F-16, the FW 70mm with a much hotter set up. My second and I have my third in a box waiting. Awesome
                                    Yak-130, the FW 70mm with a much hotter set up. My third and I have my fourth in a box waiting. Awesome. I have FPV in this
                                    Mig-29 64mm. My second and a third in the box waiting. Awesome when balance right
                                    F-16 64mm (6S) FW 64mm, has the extra servos to make it fly better and a 6S set up. I have a spare in the box in case...
                                    F-16 64mm (4S) FW 64mm, stock, surprising how well it flys. I have a spare in the box in case...
                                    Rafale FMS 64mm on 6S. It's ok but I have others I prefer flying. Excellent high alpha and flat spins
                                    Banshee, second and another new in the box. On a very high ouput 6S set up, full span ailerons and tailerons, a rocket ship. Awesome, everyone should have one.
                                    Stinger 64 on 6S, tailerons. Great plane, really great until the Banshee came out, now it sits there hoping to be flown
                                    Stinger 64 on 4S One of my oldest EDFs, bought from Hobby King before FreeWing was FreeWing. Still in great shape and flying well
                                    F86 Alfa old EDF still going strong but beat up...
                                    ​​
                                    Attached Files

Comment

It doesn't feel locked in and stable. When I do a flip or post stall something it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that other planes do. My current list, with MY opinions...

​​
                                      What, no Sukhoi 35?

Comment

• Current list. I sold my SU a couple years ago. Still have some spare parts though.

Comment

It doesn't feel locked in and stable. When I do a flip or post stall something it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that other planes do. My current list, with MY opinions...
                                          MiG-29 80mm, flys ok..
                                          F-14 Tomcat, my second one, liked the first love the second with the MiG29 fans and ESCs. I retired from the Navy off the Constellation so it has a special place.
                                          F-22 Raptor, my second one, love love love this but it's on 8S with TVs and I have a ton of extra programming in it.
                                          F/A-18 Hornet, I like it. On 8S, I just don't fly it as much as I should. Every time I do I ask myself why not.
                                          F/A-18E TV The old old Hornet with TVs. Highly modified V1. My third one. Awesome flying.
                                          F-4 Phantom II, on 8S, repainted Blue Angels. Flys great
                                          F-104, second one. An on your toes plane like the MiG 29.
                                          Mig-17, The Hobby King Avios, repainted but otherwise stock. One of the smoothest fying planes I've ever owned. No 3D, just smooth scale flying
                                          Gripen TV, My favorite EDF. 8S, repainted, TV's just a smile every time I fly it
                                          Gripen NO TV, Also my favorite EDF. Stock 6S, no repaint, no TV, just a smile every time I fly it
                                          L-39 Albatros, Great great everyday jet flys a lot like the Avanti sport jet.
                                          Mirage 2000, number 4? Love them for their speed, roll rate and high alpha.
                                          A-6E Intruder, second one, a repaint of the plane I worked on in VA-115 on the USS Midway. Flys ok
                                          A-4C Skyhawk, a repaint of my squadrons (VA-66) for their Med cruise in the 60's.
                                          F-86, Second one, great first EDF. I have FPV in this
                                          Avanti, third one, great first EDF
                                          B-2 Spirit, special day airplane. Flys and looks great but landings take special care
                                          Vulcan, awesome
                                          F-16, the FW 70mm with a much hotter set up. My second and I have my third in a box waiting. Awesome
                                          Yak-130, the FW 70mm with a much hotter set up. My third and I have my fourth in a box waiting. Awesome. I have FPV in this
                                          Mig-29 64mm. My second and a third in the box waiting. Awesome when balance right
                                          F-16 64mm (6S) FW 64mm, has the extra servos to make it fly better and a 6S set up. I have a spare in the box in case...
                                          F-16 64mm (4S) FW 64mm, stock, surprising how well it flys. I have a spare in the box in case...
                                          Rafale FMS 64mm on 6S. It's ok but I have others I prefer flying. Excellent high alpha and flat spins
                                          Banshee, second and another new in the box. On a very high ouput 6S set up, full span ailerons and tailerons, a rocket ship. Awesome, everyone should have one.
                                          Stinger 64 on 6S, tailerons. Great plane, really great until the Banshee came out, now it sits there hoping to be flown
                                          Stinger 64 on 4S One of my oldest EDFs, bought from Hobby King before FreeWing was FreeWing. Still in great shape and flying well
                                          F86 Alfa old EDF still going strong but beat up...
                                          ​​
                                          So you really like the gripen with t.v
                                          What sets it apart. I sure like the looks of it and its big. Performs big?

Comment

Working...
                                          X