Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We fly exclusively off grass. The FW SU35 stock out of the box with outrunners has a pretty short take take off roll. And the thrust vectoring allows you to rotate sooner and maintain flight. All I can say is the power to weight ratio of the new Mig29 will be beast mode. I suspect a shorter take off roll on grass then the SU35. Or very similar. I am waiting for the order button to pop up for the TV unit. Hoping Alpha can price this ad on at under $75.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Dave Of Death View Post
      We fly exclusively off grass. The FW SU35 stock out of the box with outrunners has a pretty short take take off roll. And the thrust vectoring allows you to rotate sooner and maintain flight. All I can say is the power to weight ratio of the new Mig29 will be beast mode. I suspect a shorter take off roll on grass then the SU35. Or very similar. I am waiting for the order button to pop up for the TV unit. Hoping Alpha can price this ad on at under $75.
      I don't think the T/W ratio of the Mig-29 is any better or worse than any other recent 6S large format FW jet.

4300 grams empty, maybe ~5900 grams AUW with two 5000's with a couple of fans that put out maybe 2400 * 2 = 4800 grams static (once installed). So give or take .8 or so, depending on battery or perhaps .85 at peak thrust and ~.75 settled ~3.7V/per cell.

I'd bet dollars to dimes even with TV the Mig won't take off shorter than the SU-35. The SU has a natural advantage lighter EPS foam and fewer (heavier) scale features, even on older EDFs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

I don't think the T/W ratio of the Mig-29 is any better or worse than any other recent 6S large format FW jet.

4300 grams empty, maybe ~5900 grams AUW with two 5000's with a couple of fans that put out maybe 2400 * 2 = 4800 grams static (once installed). So give or take .8 or so, depending on battery or perhaps .85 at peak thrust and ~.75 settled ~3.7V/per cell.

I'd bet dollars to dimes even with TV the Mig won't take off shorter than the SU-35. The SU has a natural advantage lighter EPS foam and fewer (heavier) scale features, even on older EDFs.
        I agree with your assessment. The SU-35 has a published "flying weight" of 2600g. Even with the stock EDFs, the stock static thrust is 4100g. Not hard to do the math on this one. If you upgraded to the "high speed" EDFs, you'd have 4400g of thrust. It really becomes a rocket ship.
        I think anyone who thinks the stock Mig will get off the grass in shorter distance than an SU-35 is going to be in for a nasty surprise. They may find themselves picking foam splinters out of the tall weeds at the end of the runway.
        You can almost always rotate sooner with TV, but that doesn't mean the plane will be going fast enough to actually fly. Without a very good thrust to weight ratio, that only spells stall and an embarrassing 6kg auger into the dirt, more because most of those maneuvers are accompanied by power when the pilot desperately tries to save it.

PS. I have the SU-35 with the "high speed" EDFs in it. It's very impressive for what it can do. I seriously don't think the new Mig will out perform it - not even close. That won't stop me from getting one. It's still going to be a wonderful airplane.

Comment

• 2 batteries vs 1 battery & the difference in weight of the landing gears immediately spells Porkiness in favour of the Mig29..Can’t compare Oranges to Apples .. At least the Mig29 doesn’t dint at the slightest glance Also the Mig29 Fuselage won’t be Egg crate Fragile like the SU-35 out of the Box ..

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
            2 batteries vs 1 battery & the difference in weight of the landing gears immediately spells Porkiness in favour of the Mig29..Can’t compare Oranges to Apples .. At least the Mig29 doesn’t dint at the slightest glance Also the Mig29 Fuselage won’t be Egg crate Fragile like the SU-35 out of the Box ..
            You forgot to mention the retracts on the SU-35 that are made from toothpicks and mounts made from dry pasta.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
              You forgot to mention the retracts on the SU-35 that are made from toothpicks and mounts made from dry pasta.
              Such Fond Memories.. Or Not Much on par with the 90mm F-18 V1 landing gear..

Comment

• First crash! Oh my god! Freewing Mig 29 maiden and crash! Its not my plane, i just found this video now... oh...

Comment

• ^Why doing a thorough pre-flight is so important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacckall View Post
                    First crash! Oh my god! Freewing Mig 29 maiden and crash! Its not my plane, i just found this video now... oh...
                    Nice that he returned it to the field for a dramatic crash on the runway instead of an anti-climactic disappearance into the trees. But I am concerned that the landing gear are not strong enough to withstand 100mph directly into solid asphalt. Faulty design?

Comment

• Yeaaa looks like he never really had positive control of the model. Rammed it right in at full throttle too - Go big or go home!

Comment

First crash! Oh my god! Freewing Mig 29 maiden and crash! Its not my plane, i just found this video now... oh...

Man, that thing was in the air for 20 seconds. In Canuck bucks, that's $3000.00/min. Appears to be Taiwan or China. It's only reasonable to think that since they got it first, someone there would be first to crash one.

PS. A "pre-flight" or two or three may not have helped here. He may have been in waaaay over his head with this model - likely just didn't know what to do with the sticks when it was coming down and back towards him.

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Such Fond Memories.. Or Not Much on par with the 90mm F-18 V1 landing gear..
                          That just sent a chill down my spine.
                          BTW, I still have and fly my RAAF V1 F/A-18. It's got a noticeable lean to one side from a heavy duty repair to one retract, but in the air, you can't tell. (Biggest gopher hole dirt mound I've ever seen.)

Comment

• Hi, Mig -29 is made from hi density foam?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              Man, that thing was in the air for 20 seconds. In Canuck bucks, that's $3000.00/min. Appears to be Taiwan or China. It's only reasonable to think that since they got it first, someone there would be first to crash one.

PS. A "pre-flight" or two or three may not have helped here. He may have been in waaaay over his head with this model - likely just didn't know what to do with the sticks when it was coming down and back towards him.
                              True. I was going under the assumption people wouldn’t attempt to fly this without the skills/experience needed. Clearly that’s not the case and we’ve seen it over and over in this hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vic View Post
                                Hi, Mig -29 is made from hi density foam?
                                Apparently not high-enough density!
                                Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post

True. I was going under the assumption people wouldn’t attempt to fly this without the skills/experience needed. Clearly that’s not the case and we’ve seen it over and over in this hobby.
                                  Yup!

"But that's a real nice airplane. One that I've always wanted. I've been flying my Apprentice with SAFE select for months now and I'm real good at it. I'm ready. I'll even get my buddy to build it and set it up for me 'cause he's been in the hobby for decades. It's going to be so great. I'm so excited."

(Later that month and the CC charges just arrived ........................... )
                                  "I QUIT!"

Comment

That'll buff out....

Comment

• Well they are already tearing them up guys and we havnt even gotten the pleassure of building ours yet lol. https://youtu.be/U27tP40nabg

Comment

• Honestly that first crashed looked intentional, no panic, silence as it was going down and the silence after. Not too mention it looked perfectly placed.

This one appears to be a real wreck

Comment

• Originally posted by Fett vision View Post
                                          Honestly that first crashed looked intentional, no panic, silence as it was going down and the silence after. Not too mention it looked perfectly placed.

This one appears to be a real wreck

https://youtu.be/if95iHaSi8M
                                          I've seen so many spectacular crashes of large planes/jets on videos at this field in the last few years, must be "Crash Central", and I've never flown there, so how are they doing this without me!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                          X