Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of the servo screws were very loose with no threadlock and would most likely have fallen out at some point in time. The glue seems to be silicone and does not hold all that well. The servos glued to the paint pulled right out. This should not be a problem since there is no "check" or good fix! QC is very poor for this one. I would not have pulled them out if the flap screw was not missing. Scary to think how many are this way with no good way to check. I used E6000 glue (Goop is good too.) to reattach the servos. Of the the glues that I have tested it is one of the few that actually bond to the foam AND hold well to plastic. Strut screws are tight and were probably done by a different person. I added thin ca to the wood screw holes, motor mounts and other areas. I added thin ca and clear tape to the hinge lines. Foam-Tac would probably be better for this since it will flex and ca will not. I have used thin ca before and it works well. The foam on each side will flex. So now I have a brand new out of the box airplane that is butchered. I hope it will fly!

Comment

• "It really cant be faulted much in my opinion"

Except perhaps for those front gear doors that become banana shaped and never really close well.

Comment

• Well, had the first 3 awesome flights on this latest Avanti. On the first flight the left flap stuck down but worked fine for the next 2 flights. Using a different transmitter and a different type receiver. Guess the flap mystery still continues. No, I did not use delay, I don't even have it. I control the flaps manually with a slider. Oh, the glue that comes with the kit works good but do not use it for the canopy. The manual still shows the elevator linkage as 55mm but it is actually 60mm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post
          Well, had the first 3 awesome flights on this latest Avanti. On the first flight the left flap stuck down but worked fine for the next 2 flights. Using a different transmitter and a different type receiver. Guess the flap mystery still continues. No, I did not use delay, I don't even have it. I control the flaps manually with a slider. Oh, the glue that comes with the kit works good but do not use it for the canopy. The manual still shows the elevator linkage as 55mm but it is actually 60mm.
          I'm not positive about how the slider works (electronically speaking), but I think it's not unlike a delay because it's not like throwing a switch where the position is reached instantly (no delay). Using a slider (to me) is like applying a delay via the flap menu. Even if you can move the slider as fast as you can, it's not like hitting a switch position.

Comment

• 500 flights and counting!

Put the 500th flight on my Avanti today. It flies as well as it did when new and still looks terrific, too. This is a fantastic flying and extremely durable aircraft. The only problem I have had was a failed aileron servo which was considerate enough to fail on the ground rather than in flight.

Each Sharpie mark in the photo below is a logged flight.

Don
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	1172
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	210360Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	1156
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	210361

Comment

• Congrats! Awesome stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                I'm not positive about how the slider works (electronically speaking), but I think it's not unlike a delay because it's not like throwing a switch where the position is reached instantly (no delay). Using a slider (to me) is like applying a delay via the flap menu. Even if you can move the slider as fast as you can, it's not like hitting a switch position.
                Sliders are exactly like knobs and sticks. You could actually "flap" the flaps if you wanted. LOL I am usually a bit aggressive and deploy them in about a second or less. Considering how many servos, cables, and connectors are used in various places of many airplanes, the most likely failure that could cause the same surface to fail would be the the main connector board. Otherwise the problem would show up all over the place.

Comment

• Wow , 500 !! That's great to see . I have maybe 50-ish
                  What do you use for battery packs ?

Comment

Sliders are exactly like knobs and sticks. You could actually "flap" the flaps if you wanted. LOL I am usually a bit aggressive and deploy them in about a second or less. Considering how many servos, cables, and connectors are used in various places of many airplanes, the most likely failure that could cause the same surface to fail would be the the main connector board. Otherwise the problem would show up all over the place.
                    So, not like a switch. In the flap menu, the quickest deployment is zero seconds. The next delay is 0.1 second. Though short, it's still considered a "delay". My point is using a slider, no matter fast you think you can move it, it's still a delay and we don't really know at what time delay, is there a problem with the flaps. I have seen a problem with these flaps while using a delay while BOTH going through the control box and not going through the control box. Using no delay in either case, the problem did not show up.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      So, not like a switch. In the flap menu, the quickest deployment is zero seconds. The next delay is 0.1 second. Though short, it's still considered a "delay". My point is using a slider, no matter fast you think you can move it, it's still a delay and we don't really know at what time delay, is there a problem with the flaps. I have seen a problem with these flaps while using a delay while BOTH going through the control box and not going through the control box. Using no delay in either case, the problem did not show up.
                      So why don't both flap servos behave the same since they are on the same channel? The servos are the same and neither one is reversed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post
                        Wow , 500 !! That's great to see . I have maybe 50-ish
                        What do you use for battery packs ?
                        Roaring Top or Admiral 5000's.

Don

Comment

So why don't both flap servos behave the same since they are on the same channel? The servos are the same and neither one is reversed.
                          This, I can't say, however, we are making an assumption that all pairs of these servos are the same and I believe they are not. There may simply be enough differences in the composition of these components that given any number of these devices, that all of them may not be identical. One out of the bunch (or more) may respond just a little differently to RX pulses, perhaps enough to cause it (or them) to move properly or not. But now we're getting into the realm that maybe only an electronics type expert can dissect. For us laymen, I guess we can only use whatever explanation that will satisfy our own realities. For example, if you believe they are the "same" or because they are on the "same channel", let that be your rationale for why things don't work the way you believe they should. I'm satisfied to know that sometimes they work and sometimes they don't and for reasons that I can't fully explain.

Comment

• Originally posted by dfordham View Post

Roaring Top or Admiral 5000's.

Don
                            Thanks !

Comment

500 flights and counting!

Put the 500th flight on my Avanti today. It flies as well as it did when new and still looks terrific, too. This is a fantastic flying and extremely durable aircraft. The only problem I have had was a failed aileron servo which was considerate enough to fail on the ground rather than in flight.

Each Sharpie mark in the photo below is a logged flight.

Don
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	1172
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	210360Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	1156
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	210361
                              Congrats!!!! What a milestone to achieve I can't wait to get there with my Avanti too.

Regards,
                              Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post

Congrats!!!! What a milestone to achieve I can't wait to get there with my Avanti too.

Regards,
                                Jim
                                Thanks. Good luck with yours. She's a great flyer, isn't she?

Don

Comment

Thanks. Good luck with yours. She's a great flyer, isn't she?

Don
                                  It sure is Don! Relaxing as far as EDFs go for sure. Thank you Don.

Regards,
                                  Jim

Comment

• I just finished the “build” of my new yellow Avanti. Two coats of Varathane polyurethane were applied to the entire airframe first using the satin finish as I didn’t want to excentuate the unpainted foam texture with gloss. All went smoothly but those wings are a tight fit!...don’t think I’ll be removing them very often. I plan to use a 5,000 6s for first flights, Will this be too heavy? ( my first edf). Flight will take place off of our clubs grass field and am wondering if the nose gear brace should be fitted prior? I put the aileron rods thru the second servo arm hole for reduced throws for now. Painted the cockpit flat black and with the dark tinted canopy looks pretty cool. I’m gonna use the control board and stock bec and hope for the best crossing fingers mine is ok after reading the posts of you guys having trouble with the flaps. I’ve read this entire thread and am nervous af about the maiden coming up, any advice will be gladly accepted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
                                      I just finished the “build” of my new yellow Avanti. Two coats of Varathane polyurethane were applied to the entire airframe first using the satin finish as I didn’t want to excentuate the unpainted foam texture with gloss. All went smoothly but those wings are a tight fit!...don’t think I’ll be removing them very often. I plan to use a 5,000 6s for first flights, Will this be too heavy? ( my first edf). Flight will take place off of our clubs grass field and am wondering if the nose gear brace should be fitted prior? I put the aileron rods thru the second servo arm hole for reduced throws for now. Painted the cockpit flat black and with the dark tinted canopy looks pretty cool. I’m gonna use the control board and stock bec and hope for the best crossing fingers mine is ok after reading the posts of you guys having trouble with the flaps. I’ve read this entire thread and am nervous af about the maiden coming up, any advice will be gladly accepted!
                                      Flys great with a 5000 battery ... Great flying EDF jet , have fun !

Comment

• Welcome BSF! Good luck bro! Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
                                          I just finished the “build” of my new yellow Avanti. Two coats of Varathane polyurethane were applied to the entire airframe first using the satin finish as I didn’t want to excentuate the unpainted foam texture with gloss. All went smoothly but those wings are a tight fit!...don’t think I’ll be removing them very often. I plan to use a 5,000 6s for first flights, Will this be too heavy? ( my first edf). Flight will take place off of our clubs grass field and am wondering if the nose gear brace should be fitted prior? I put the aileron rods thru the second servo arm hole for reduced throws for now. Painted the cockpit flat black and with the dark tinted canopy looks pretty cool. I’m gonna use the control board and stock bec and hope for the best crossing fingers mine is ok after reading the posts of you guys having trouble with the flaps. I’ve read this entire thread and am nervous af about the maiden coming up, any advice will be gladly accepted!
                                          I use an Admiral 5000 6S for my Avanti and it is perfect for the airplane. I use the stock control board and electronics that came with the aircraft, and to date, no issues. Also, you ask about the nose brace. I would say YES, put it in prior to flying from your field. I also fly from grass and can see that the brace works well in supporting the nose gear. Last year, I posted a copy of the braces I purchased for my Red Avanti. Here is what I posted on #2271, back on September 4, 2018, and it was ordered directly from the link that dahawk provided below. I'm pretty sure that it can be ordered in yellow as well:

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                          Yes, or if you have a buddy who has a printer, buy him a drink !

Sent an email to Chris (rc geek)
                                          for print help. Dirty Dee also is an expert 3D printer

Simple piece which can be mounted behind the front retract on the Avanti S. This will give the gear better support during landing, especially on bumpy ground and if you just so happen to bounce around and strike the front gear first.

Dahawk:

Thank you for sharing the file on the Avanti Nose Brace. I'm not a 3D printer guy (yet....), so I clicked your link and ordered three RED braces from Print A Thing (I ordered two for spares - hopefully I won't need them). I got in on the pre-order for the RED Avanti, so I hope to see the jet later this month - can't wait!! Anyway, Print A Thing charged me $1.89 each, plus a $4.50 printer set up fee, and a $4.50 shipping fee - total for all three pieces was $14.67 (plus $1.00 for a tip as recommended on the site). I ordered the braces on Friday (8/31) and got them today (9/4). I can't wait to receive my jet and get the brace installed. The picture shows the top and bottom view of the brace, and of course I will drill the holes for screw access. My sincere thanks for sharing the file for us non-3D printer guys. If we ever meet, the drink is on me!

Regards,
                                          Jim Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti Nose Brace Red.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	210734

Good luck with the maiden - it is an awesome flying EDF. Hope this helps!

Regards,
                                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                                          X