Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folks, Avanti V2 PNP is back in stock at MotionRC.eu.
    Just ordered mine :) Can't wait till tomorrow :)
    It was way less than estimated (by MRC) 2-3 months.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	27.8 KB ID:	386295​​​

Comment

• ****duplicate post deleted****​

Comment

• Got mine. Wow! It looks way better than on the pictures! So far, I really like it.
        One question: What rates/deflections do you use? I've seen on youtube (BD Tennessee) that his rates were like a half of those from the manual and the plane flew nicely. I do not want to end up with a flying drill bit ;) I might be using his settings, unless you have other proposals.

Btw, they're out of stock on MRC EU again.

Comment

• Originally posted by mszulen View Post
          Got mine. Wow! It looks way better than on the pictures! So far, I really like it.
          One question: What rates/deflections do you use? I've seen on youtube (BD Tennessee) that his rates were like a half of those from the manual and the plane flew nicely. I do not want to end up with a flying drill bit ;) I might be using his settings, unless you have other proposals.

Btw, they're out of stock on MRC EU again.

Consider 2 settings go low as per BD for normal flying but flick the switch to high rates for take off with elevator set to high, ailerons and rudder on low, 1/2 flaps for take off on grass, plenty expo on elevator on high rates. After a couple of flights adjust rates to suit yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post

Consider 2 settings go low as per BD for normal flying but flick the switch to high rates for take off with elevator set to high, ailerons and rudder on low, 1/2 flaps for take off on grass, plenty expo on elevator on high rates. After a couple of flights adjust rates to suit yourself.
            Perfect! Thank you!
            1/2 flaps of the setting described as "low rate" in the manual? Is the other deflection of flaps ok for landing?

Comment

Perfect! Thank you!
              1/2 flaps of the setting described as "low rate" in the manual? Is the other deflection of flaps ok for landing?
              1/2 flaps 20mm down, full flaps 40mm down for landing in 6-12mph wind. Flat calm a bit more full flap, zero throttle in both cases, more wind a touch of throttle. You will find what suits you best after a few flights. Fly smooth, wide turns until you get used to it, keep it within 150 metres, full throttle take off,climb to a good height, gear up, flaps up cruise at just above half throttle, 3/4 throttle going in to turns. Set timer to 3 mins to start on 4000 or 5000mah lipo and have a good maiden flight, land on mains first.

Comment

• Thanks again for a detailes tips! I'm going to maiden it as soon as I get through setup of the receiver.

BTW,
                Anyone using Frsky SR8(plus) receivers? How do you setup the gyro (gains etc)?
                It's first time for me using those receivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                  I been putting mine through a lot with the 100A esc. Haven't had any issues either. Also have 100A in the tomcat. All good so far. And thats with 18 flights in 100+ degree weather. I can tell you the batteries don't like it.
                  Do you see any need for installing a bec in this plane?I noticed the new cougar has a 7 amp bec.

Comment

• The original had only a 5A BEC and was fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by hellcat716 View Post

Do you see any need for installing a bec in this plane?I noticed the new cougar has a 7 amp bec.
                      cougar has more servos, sequenced gear door servos therefore pulls more amps hence safety margin of 7amp bec. Some people run separate BEC with separate 500amp 2 s battery in case they get over enthusiastic and flatten the main lipo but flight times are good on the Avanti and this is not likely if you remember to set the tx timer

Comment

Thanks again for a detailes tips! I'm going to maiden it as soon as I get through setup of the receiver.

BTW,
                        Anyone using Frsky SR8(plus) receivers? How do you setup the gyro (gains etc)?
                        It's first time for me using those receivers.
                        Depending on the radio you have, if it is ethos, you can go to your model menu then devices, there you will see sxr. Click that and you will be able to change your gains and also do calibration of the accelerometers if needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post

Depending on the radio you have, if it is ethos, you can go to your model menu then devices, there you will see sxr. Click that and you will be able to change your gains and also do calibration of the accelerometers if needed.
                          About the transmitter: I use X20S
                          It turns out, the standard sxr setup can't be used. Archer Plus receivers require a separate lua scripts.
                          Finally, I've got it working (I was not able to switch the gyro modes initially),but I'm more interested in the opinions regarding the specific gain values used for Avanti (unless, gyro is nor really needed).

Comment

It turns out, the standard sxr setup can't be used. Archer Plus receivers require a separate lua scripts.
                            Finally, I've got it working (I was not able to switch the gyro modes initially),but I'm more interested in the opinions regarding the specific gain values used for Avanti (unless, gyro is nor really needed).

You do not really need a gyro for an Avanti but if you want to use one then use minimum gains for windy days. I flew mine without it for the first 2 years no problem. I installed one but I only use it if it is very windy and gusty eg 20mph + You might try the first 12 flights with gyro off, see how you go and decide from there. What is the bike?

Comment

cougar has more servos, sequenced gear door servos therefore pulls more amps hence safety margin of 7amp bec. Some people run separate BEC with separate 500amp 2 s battery in case they get over enthusiastic and flatten the main lipo but flight times are good on the Avanti and this is not likely if you remember to set the tx timer
                              oops, 500mah 2s lipo 500amps would be a bit too much

Comment

Not all gyros have the same sensitivity, but here's some figures I've used on the original Avanti S (which I now installed the new FW 12 blade 2150 coming in the V2-and still using same figures). This is with the older Spektrum AR636 AS3X RX. Flaps up, Aileron/Elevator/Rudder 40%/45%50%. I have my gain Flight Modes switched to the Flaps. With Take-Off Flaps it goes to: 70%/75%/80% and with Landing Flaps to 70%/80%/85%. I've been using the newer AR637T RX the last few years and noticed the gains are just a slight bit more sensitive. The control surfaces on the Avanti are relatively small so you should be able to fly full throttle with most gyros around my flaps up settings without any oscillations. I do have the ability to adjust the gains in flight with my right knob but have never had to turn them down. Could probably go higher but those first gain settings keep it smooth in most winds. Enjoy it, and I suggest you balance it much further aft than the manual calls for, but that's my opinion! And I agree with others that a gyro is not absolutely needed, I just put one in everything since I exclusively use the AR637T RX in everything so why not use it if you got it!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

You do not really need a gyro for an Avanti but if you want to use one then use minimum gains for windy days. I flew mine without it for the first 2 years no problem. I installed one but I only use it if it is very windy and gusty eg 20mph + You might try the first 12 flights with gyro off, see how you go and decide from there. What is the bike?

Good to know it's so stable. Yeah, I've wanted to use gyro just in case.
                                  The bike? 2019 Kawasaki Z1000SX for us - EU folks, or Ninja 1000SX in USA :)

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Not all gyros have the same sensitivity, but here's some figures I've used on the original Avanti S (which I now installed the new FW 12 blade 2150 coming in the V2-and still using same figures). This is with the older Spektrum AR636 AS3X RX. Flaps up, Aileron/Elevator/Rudder 40%/45%50%. I have my gain Flight Modes switched to the Flaps. With Take-Off Flaps it goes to: 70%/75%/80% and with Landing Flaps to 70%/80%/85%. I've been using the newer AR637T RX the last few years and noticed the gains are just a slight bit more sensitive. The control surfaces on the Avanti are relatively small so you should be able to fly full throttle with most gyros around my flaps up settings without any oscillations. I do have the ability to adjust the gains in flight with my right knob but have never had to turn them down. Could probably go higher but those first gain settings keep it smooth in most winds. Enjoy it, and I suggest you balance it much further aft than the manual calls for, but that's my opinion! And I agree with others that a gyro is not absolutely needed, I just put one in everything since I exclusively use the AR637T RX in everything so why not use it if you got it!
                                  That's why I've specifically mentioned SR8+ receiver (Frsky Archer Plus) hoping someone was/is using it.

I guess, I'll put the gyro sensitivity on the knob and experiment once I get used to the plane without.

I was flying E-Flite's Xavoc XE without the gyro, so I guess, Avanti S V2 is way more stable/easier to fly.

Comment

• My Freewing Avanti with vector thrust. Its only the third flight with this so thats why the maneuvers are so high

Comment

• Video of the working of the vector thrust

Comment

• I've finally had a chance to maiden my Avanti S V2. What a nice plane! As many of you said - no gyro needed at all. So stable and predictable behaviour. Plenty of power and a gentle landings. It's definitely a keeper :)
                                        I'm flying it with Ovonic 4500mAh 100C battery and using Frsky Archer SR8 Plus receiver (it does have gyro but haven't used it yet...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Enjoy it, and I suggest you balance it much further aft than the manual calls for, but that's my opinion! And I agree with others that a gyro is not absolutely needed,
                                          My initial CG was just behind the marked position (3-4mm further). Looks like indeed, it should go more to the back. I'll try it next time (I've seen some comments suggesting ab. 120mm location).

Comment

Working...
                                          X