Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Avanti has arrived should i get a seperate bec or just use the one that comes with the speed controller.

If i do need one can someone tell me what i have to get, thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cabunag65 View Post
      My Avanti has arrived should i get a seperate bec or just use the one that comes with the speed controller.

If i do need one can someone tell me what i have to get, thank you.
      I have over 50 flights stock ... no problems . For whats thats worth

Comment

• Thanks for the input but I have more questions! What are you using for throws on the three rates and what is recommended flap travel? I have a spectrum dx8g2. Thanks for your patience and help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
          Thanks for the input but I have more questions! What are you using for throws on the three rates and what is recommended flap travel? I have a spectrum dx8g2. Thanks for your patience and help!
          To be honest, the rates you may like are a very personal choice. For me, I set the full travels according to the manual, but then on the dual rates (I only use two) I use the following for High/Low: Aileron: 80/50, Elevator: 80/45, Rudder: 90/60. For flaps, I just use the recommended travel in the manual: 55mm/23mm. As you can see, I really "dumbed down" the rates for low, which was especially helpful early on when I was learning the feel of the jet and not used to the quick roll rate (biggest area you can get into trouble right away on a jet is rolling it over too far in the turns). I dialed the high rates down some too, and truth be known, now that I am used to this bird, I fly it almost exclusively on the high rates anyway, except maybe for takeoff. I like a smooth takeoff with no drastic control inputs, then raise the gear, flaps, and go to the higher rates for the duration of the flight. Oh, I do use 40% expo too, all around. Anyway, that is just my preference. Yours, and others, may be quite different. I only know that I was surprised at the sensitivity of the ailerons on the maiden (not out of control, but touchy!), so immediately dialed everything down upon landing and pretty much have kept it that way ever since. I really love flying it too! Enjoy!
          Any day you can fly is a good day!  :D
          Dave

Comment

• Finally pulled the trigger on one of these a few weeks ago. After a long hiatus of not flying jets I finally jumped back in the saddle after reading all the hype around the Avanti. I went with the Red Avanti and then the 6200mha zippys. (I know they are big and heavy) I bypassed the boards so i could take the wings on and off for transport plus there were other perks of having each servo on its own channel. I initially flew all control surfaces as the manual suggests, but started with the low rates. After the first flight i knew every ounce of hype you guys had been showing was definitely real! The flight envelope on this plane is unreal and then the vertical... Needless to say I'm thrilled with the performance of the airplane. Only changes I made to the airplane after the maiden flight were, reduce the ailerons ALOT roughly decreased them by about 25% on high rates. everything else felt extremely solid. As for the flight time with the heavier pack I set my timer for 4min and once the timer goes off I make a gear pass and then bring her home. These flight times are of course with throttle management only two-three vertical maneuvers. Once on the ground I checked voltage and was pretty consistent around 22.4-22.6
            Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this forum the amount of info here is awesome and should be read by anyone looking to jump on in!
            Happy flying everyone and good luck!
            Jason

Comment

• He she is folks, waiting for me to make the next move. I went out to the club field for a maiden flight and the field looked like a lake, mosquitos were beating on the windows of my truck so I canceled the days activities. Also shown is my Habu32 which I’ve had for more than a year, too intimidated to fly it. It’s composite construction and quite heavy...figured I’d better get something easier to fly off of the clubs grass field as the Habu is not really designed for grass ops?

Comment

• The Habu 32 is OK from grass but you need a longer runway. There was one at my old field and it just made it off the ground before the end of that 300 foot, bumpy, grass runway. It also comes in quite fast so the approach has to be planned out well and you need to touch down early on the runway or you blast into the end. The Avanti S, on the other hand, takes less than 1/3 of that distance (from the same field) and can land very slowly and softly. It's like a Frisbee vs a lawn dart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
                  He she is folks, waiting for me to make the next move. I went out to the club field for a maiden flight and the field looked like a lake, mosquitos were beating on the windows of my truck so I canceled the days activities. Also shown is my Habu32 which I’ve had for more than a year, too intimidated to fly it. It’s composite construction and quite heavy...figured I’d better get something easier to fly off of the clubs grass field as the Habu is not really designed for grass ops?
                  Soft landing spot in your pic for the Avanti !

Comment

• Ditto on the Habu's that fly off our grass field ... needs room

Comment

• Why did they put a 9 blade fan in the red Avanti....did they run out of 12 blade fans...?

Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by retiredVTT View Post
                        Why did they put a 9 blade fan in the red Avanti....did they run out of 12 blade fans...?

Bill
                        Because it’s not all about the cool sound. Sometimes it’s about efficiency and power, and the 9 blade provides that better than the 12, all other things being equal.
                        Any day you can fly is a good day!  :D
                        Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post

Soft landing spot in your pic for the Avanti !
                          Yah, I think my wife is jealous! Might have to waste money on a new washing machine just to get back on her good side.
                          I bought the Habu with only one flight on her, the previous owner stated that it took three try’s to get it on the ground. I knew that if I attempted to fly it, it would have been a real mortar shot. The gear are very spindly with no shock absorbing qualities that I can see and the wheels are tiny compared to the Avanti.

Comment

• I have the yellow Avanti 12 blade with the Admiral 5000 6 S. I have a telemetry system and can only get 2 minutes 40 seconds out of it on both lipos. Goes to 3.82 after one minute. Not using full power. Half stick with throttle management. Videos show 4 minutes or greater.
                            Last edited by Axel S.; Aug 28, 2019, 08:17 AM. Reason: I received a helpful post about reprogramming the esc and I am greatful.

Comment

• Reprogram the ESC and set timing to low for best efficiency of the motor. I had to do that on my FW L39

Comment

• Thank you sam51401, I will ask someone in my club to do that. I have no idea how to accomplish this.

Comment

• The ESC programming instructions are under the A10 support tab

Comment

• Thank you very much for this information on esc. This is a great forum. You guys are great. Axel

Comment

• Thats the great thing with forums as these, no need to reinvent the wheel

Comment

• EDF questions: What is the difference in performance between a 9-blade and a 12-blade 80mm fan? Which would give a higher top speed? Is it worth it to spend the extra and get a "balanced fan? Is there any consensus on the best LiPo for EDF jets? I am thinking of getting the Avanti S (Red) or the E-flite e-Havoc. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Comment

• Hello everyone, just recently joined the Freewing club and completed my Avanti S. The paint job was inspired by NASA's research F-15.

Cheers,

TC

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.JPEG
Views:	1319
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	213128Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3067.JPEG
Views:	1298
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	213130Click image for larger version

Name:	NASA F-15.jpg