Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jcspohr View Post
    Hey guys,

I am finishing up my Avanti S and putting an Aura 8 stabilizer in it. The model details show that it has digital servos but no mention if the servo-less landing are digital as well.

Question - is it safe to set my servo type to "Digital"?

Thanks,

JC
    When you refer to "servo-less landing"........to be clear on your question are you asking about the etract(electronic retract)??
    If you are.....they are generally analog but why would you have the gear plugged into a stabilizer.
    The stabilizer should only be feeding signals to the control surface servos and setting that to digital for the digital control servos should be fine.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

When you refer to "servo-less landing"........to be clear on your question are you asking about the etract(electronic retract)??
      If you are.....they are generally analog but why would you have the gear plugged into a stabilizer.
      The stabilizer should only be feeding signals to the control surface servos and setting that to digital for the digital control servos should be fine.
      Thanks OV10,

Yes, I was referring to the landing gear. I was thinking landing gear but apparently I forgot to type "gear" in my post.

I am using an Aura 8 stabilizer with two DSMX satellites. There is no other receiver driving the Aura 8 so all channels including landing gear are output from the Aura 8 stabilizer.

Best,

JC

Comment

• I briefly reviewed the install and config settings for the Aura. This is a very innovative(I see why Flex Innovations carries it) Rx/Stabilizer and allows you to config each port independently.
        Based on what I saw I would say that it is safe to set your "servo type" to digital.
        Since I'm not going to use this device, am going to leave you to do your homework on this rather lengthy read for setups.
        These two links should help in your decision on how you want to control your gear channel.

Best of luck with your setup.;)
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I did yesterday my maiden flight. I used the high rate as it s written in the manual, but changed for low rate very fast because it was too hot for me, when i wanted to land i switch the large flap and there the plane was unstable, i had a "hard" landing, the front gear move on the back (the holding plastic plate move out from the epo) and the front door was broken, when i took back the plane one of the flap wasn t working and stayed closed, after few test it worked again, when i builted it it was working very well on both side ...

Comment

• Bunny Hope

When you have less than a perfect landing is there anything that can be done to lessen the dreaded Bunny Hope? Different springs?

Comment

• Originally posted by duke View Post
              Bunny Hope

When you have less than a perfect landing is there anything that can be done to lessen the dreaded Bunny Hope? Different springs?
              I haven't heard of any bouncing issues with the Avanti. I have quite a few flights on mine and it flys and lands great. With flaps down it will slow way down with a nice little flare to a very soft landing. Get some altitude, put flaps down and see how slow you can actually fly this jet. Great plane and a blast to fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                We've got lots more on the way. Even more in production, too. Can we say "Non-stop"?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170831_134027.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	95469

Thank you to everyone whose support made our Avanti such a massive hit this year!
                This has got to be one of the most successful foamy ARFs ever. I am very impressed with mine. Flew straight with no trim changes out of the box. Performs well. I have close to 50 flights on mine now. There are 3 of them at our field now and we actually had all 3 up at once yesterday. Fun!

Comment

• Pascandrea Which batch is your jet from? Curious to find out if the flap problem has been solved in the newest batch coming. Mine is from batch 2.

Comment

• duke IMO If you have room and battery you can TRY (no prop wash with a jet) to punch the throttle with minimal elevator to go around. If you are not quick enough on the first bounce and it does not pull out you will make it worse and cause more damage. If you are really good (I am not.) you can time the bounce and TRY to smooth it out with a little throttle and elevator timing. Most people usually make it worse trying this. I have had it happen and just rode it out. I like the the nose gear brace mod! For me, if I use full flap I need to keep a little throttle on (especially if you are forced to land with the wind) so the descent is not so abrupt. This will eliminate any bunny hop bounce. If you have the room you can land with just a little or even no flap. It will glide smooth but faster. It dead sticks for me with no flaps. Fortunately this jet is very forgiving and does not tip stall like many do and roll into the ground with horrible damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

I haven't heard of any bouncing issues with the Avanti. I have quite a few flights on mine and it flys and lands great. With flaps down it will slow way down with a nice little flare to a very soft landing. Get some altitude, put flaps down and see how slow you can actually fly this jet. Great plane and a blast to fly!!!
                      I have many flights on my Avanti also, like you said you can fly/land this plane really slow. I never had any bouncing either.
                      But my friend had a couple bad landings the other day, it went down the field like a wild stallion.
                      I noticed that he touched down with the nose wheel first, and this caused the hop. Once it hops once it only gets worse, he bent the nose gear and broke the gear door & a couple dents and scratches. My advise if you realize you'r not having a perfect landing, abort, full throttle, elevator up, go around and try again. Bouncing down the runway never ends well...

Comment

• My avanti is from the last batch. It is my second airframe as pilot error caused a "controlled flight into terrain". After landing I had a flap not retract on a couple of occasions. As described in an earlier post i sped up my flap deployment from 3 sec to 1sec and have not had a reoccurance. As for landing....If you touch down nose gear first you just gained entry to the "bronco billy gear buster club" (proud member since my FW 64mm a10 maiden). The avanti will float in to the softest of touchdowns if you dont come in hot. I have had great success being eye level across the threshold and chopping throttle. Pull some elevator a foot off runway and keep pulling elevator to maintain that foot and it will settle right in,also with the shortest runout possible.
                        Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopGun View Post
                          Here are a couple of pictures of my Avanti and its pilots that I added. That shot was taken at my club field a week ago. The next picture is of a modification that I added to my nose gear to take any stress off the base of the strut. Since that photo was taken I have painted all the parts to match the Avanti. Mod came out great and is working fantastic. The mod did not change the CG at all. Enjoy!
                          Cheers and Blue Skies to ya!!!
                          absolutely the best mod for the nose gear ever! If you're flying off grass this is a must have mod. nose gear failure is just one cow paddy away without it;)thank you TopGun for posting this mod, I love it !! Kenny

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                            We've got lots more on the way. Even more in production, too. Can we say "Non-stop"?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170831_134027.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	95469

Thank you to everyone whose support made our Avanti such a massive hit this year!
                            Hey Alpha... How about a 80mm BVM Bandit next?? I'm sure it'll be as massive or better in Sales than the Avanti..;):)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post
                              Pascandrea Which batch is your jet from? Curious to find out if the flap problem has been solved in the newest batch coming. Mine is from batch 2.
                              how do you find the batch number ? i just got mine last week from aliexpress ...

Comment

• I meant the batches from Motion RC. I think the 4th is on it's way?

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Hey Alpha... How about a 80mm BVM Bandit next?? I'm sure it'll be as massive or better in Sales than the Avanti..;):)
                                  DROOL............

Comment

• Just thought I would share my latest adventure with the Avanti. I visited my daughter and grand kids this past weekend so I decided to bring the Avanti with me to fly at the local fields. She lives north of Tampa in Springhill and the area has four clubs in the area. I flew at two of them, West Pasco flyers and Hernando county flyers, which both have grass fields. With all the rain the area has had, the grass was thick, soft and when walked on, wet from rain the day before. I was able to get the Avanti up from both fields, but only after a long run. I noticed that the front gear would compress enough to put the jet in a nose down attitude until flight speed was achieved at which time it seemed to jump up in the air. At one of the fields, I actually was not able to take off going towards one end of the field. That's never happened before at my field. There was no headwind at either field so that made it even harder to take off. Now I see why some people worry about if this or any of the new EDFs will take off on grass. My field has a hard packed soil base and it's mowed low enough to make take off easy. On the plus side, two flyers at the Hernando field had wondered how the jet flew and were blown away by how slow it lands and how maneuverable it is. They were quite happy with the speed and said they were going to order one soon. I told them to get on the list since the stock runs out quickly when it's available. I wonder if this jet is the best selling one that Motion has offered. A side note, I usually land with about 40% left in my battery, but with the long full power takeoff, they came down with 15% in the battery. Again, Motion gets nothing but praise for bringing us this jet. Now on to build my A-4 Skyhawk I just got.

Comment

• Yeah, the Avanti landing gear is the best out there for grass. Since mine is smashed, I flew my Taft Viper 90. With the tiny wheels, poor struts and a bit low on power it took flaps and a long way to get off the ground. The Avanti has me spoiled!

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Hello Fred,
                                        Actually your google of the Hobby Paradise link is really the right(stbd) side and your analysis of it being the left is incorrect.
                                        Here is the left(port):
                                        http://www.hobby-paradise.com/en/pro...5gubp16f7l8hn6

I did look at the Motion parts page and carefully reviewed the struts against the pics of the aircraft with gear down and your opinion on Motions description is they do have the right/left reversed.
                                        This is the actual left strut even though it is labeled right................https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...ut-and-tire-ri
                                        Paging Aros.....Paging Aros for a couple product page corrections.;)
                                        Charlie,

I went a head and bought both wheels, because I needed it for this weekend, as I wrote earlier to other people who replied to me.

In any case, I received the shipment today. Long story short. The part numbers and descriptions were right. The pictures were swapped by mistake.

See attached images. Note the part numbers.

Cheers
                                        Fred

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred View Post

Charlie,

I went a head and bought both wheels, because I needed it for this weekend, as I wrote earlier to other people who replied to me.

In any case, I received the shipment today. Long story short. The part numbers and descriptions were right. The pictures were swapped by mistake.

See attached images. Note the part numbers.

Cheers
                                          Fred
                                          And those pics still remain incorrect.

PAGING AROS..........swap the pictures;)
                                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X