X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
    I purchased the high performance version. Like I said it has several coats of paint plus 5-6 coats of Polycrylic. I am confident it is balanced correctly. If I moved the battery all the way back it will barely stay level on the nose gear. If you raise the nose a little it will fall on its tail.
    I sprayed 2-3 coats of Polycrylic to protect the chrome paint on the whole plane before applying the graphics and I sprayed 3 good coats after the graphics were applied. The surface of the plane is now smooth as glass.
    Your battery placement may in fact be different do to all your cosmetic additions, but it's still the same airframe, therefore there same CG.

Give me a few sentences and I'll explain what I mean. First off when you say that you're confident your CG is correct, are you using the CG in the manual? I ask prior to making this statement...most manufacturers and absolutely EVERY FW edf that I've purchased and flown has a CG recommendation 7 to 25mm further forward than the ACTUAL CG. This is due, my personal opinion, so that the novice among us are guaranteed to have a nose heavy aircraft to prevent stalling. I can count the FW edfs I don't own on one hand and still have fingers left over, so I don't make this comment casually, yes I'm aware of my addiction lol.

A nose heavy acft and a tail heavy acft have 1 thing in common, incorrect CG. Your test of sitting the F-86 on it's tail and lifting it an inch before it rotates to on it's own isn't a bad place to start CG wise for your maiden. But it's still a nose heavy bird with that CG. Move the battery back until you can set her on her tail, with her canopy on and at the slightest movement of you lifting the tail, she rotates on all 3 gear by herself.

I agree that with all your cosmetic enhancements you might have changed where to place the battery significantly. But the airframe aerodynamically is the same, the CG procedure I described to you is also the same, and will give you the correct CG for your Sabre.

Comment

• Phantom ,
      I adjusted the battery as you stated to get the plane to rest on its tail and the slightest movement it rotates onto all 3 wheels. I actually had to move the battery forward slightly.
      It’s a place to start. We shall see how she flys there.
      Thanks to all for your input.
      Anthony

Comment

Phantom ,
        I adjusted the battery as you stated to get the plane to rest on its tail and the slightest movement it rotates onto all 3 wheels. I actually had to move the battery forward slightly.
        It’s a place to start. We shall see how she flys there.
        Thanks to all for your input.
        Anthony
        Strange... Good luck on your maiden she's a great flyer.

Comment

Like I said it has several coats of paint plus 5-6 coats of Polycrylic. I sprayed 2-3 coats of Polycrylic to protect the chrome paint on the whole plane before applying the graphics and I sprayed 3 good coats after the graphics were applied. The surface of the plane is now smooth as glass.
          WN, WOW, beautiful work. 'She whose authority exceeds my rank' saw your posted picture and was noticeably impressed with the "Sky Blazers" livery, too. Nicely done from the both of us. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

WN, WOW, beautiful work. 'She whose authority exceeds my rank' saw your posted picture and was noticeably impressed with the "Sky Blazers" livery, too. Nicely done from the both of us. Best, LB
            LB,
            Thanks to the both of you!! I am really happy with how it turned out.
            Anthony

Comment

• Question for the F-86-ers. I have been flying the 80mm L-39 for just over a year now. Love it. It’s speed and agility keep me smiling every flight. But, I also have a thing for classic jets. For those who have flown (or seen) the L-39 do it’s thing, would the high performance version of the F-86 keep me excited like the L-39 does? What are your options?
              Thanks!
              Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post
                Question for the F-86-ers. I have been flying the 80mm L-39 for just over a year now. Love it. It’s speed and agility keep me smiling every flight. But, I also have a thing for classic jets. For those who have flown (or seen) the L-39 do it’s thing, would the high performance version of the F-86 keep me excited like the L-39 does? What are your options?
                Thanks!
                Jeff
                I don't have the L-39, as the airframe, although loved by many doesn't excite me at all. The F-86 80mm was my second EDF and I've had her since 2015. I now have the FMS 80mm fan and 2150kv and 100amp ESC on 6s power system in her that, modestly increased the speed, greatly improved vertical and extended flight times by about 45 seconds.

She's an amazing bird, you can practice any maneuver you can think of. However with her thick cambered wings she is a bit of a draggy airframe. Having never flown the L-39, I cannot comment personally on a comparison. But from videos I've seen I'd say that the L-39 would be faster, more vertical, and has a higher roll rate.

So if you're looking for a more demanding bird to fly as a step up from the L-39, the F-86 wouldn't be it. However she's an absolute pleasure to fly, the L-39 is one of the few FW birds I don't own, I'll always have the F-86 in my hangar, she's bullet proof and never disappoints to put a smile on my face.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

I don't have the L-39, as the airframe, although loved by many doesn't excite me at all. The F-86 80mm was my second EDF and I've had her since 2015. I now have the FMS 80mm fan and 2150kv and 100amp ESC on 6s power system in her that, modestly increased the speed, greatly improved vertical and extended flight times by about 45 seconds.

She's an amazing bird, you can practice any maneuver you can think of. However with her thick cambered wings she is a bit of a draggy airframe. Having never flown the L-39, I cannot comment personally on a comparison. But from videos I've seen I'd say that the L-39 would be faster, more vertical, and has a higher roll rate.

So if you're looking for a more demanding bird to fly as a step up from the L-39, the F-86 wouldn't be it. However she's an absolute pleasure to fly, the L-39 is one of the few FW birds I don't own, I'll always have the F-86 in my hangar, she's bullet proof and never disappoints to put a smile on my face.
                  Thank you for the reply. The L-39 design doesn’t totally excite me either given it’s hard to classify it as a “warbird”. However, the stellar flight performance and scale lines make up for that in my opinion. I flew it again tonight. Even at 4500’ elevation (and it’s the older outrunner model) I can pull up at airfield center into a vertical climb and perform two vertical aileron rolls and let it climb even more after the rolls before leveling the climb. It’s just a small dot at that point. I know one can’t expect that kind of performance from the F-86. But from what you had to say about it, the wonderful sound it makes, the classic jet lines... I should pull the trigger on it soon.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Thank you for the reply. The L-39 design doesn’t totally excite me either given it’s hard to classify it as a “warbird”.............................
                    Why would you say that? In my mind any airplane armed with a gun and hardpoints for missles or bombs and used in combat can be classified as a "warbird".

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

Why would you say that? In my mind any airplane armed with a gun and hardpoints for missles or bombs and used in combat can be classified as a "warbird".
                      Okay. Haha. It’s (The L-39) not the American heavy metal jet that I typically like. Better? ;-)

Comment

Thank you for the reply. The L-39 design doesn’t totally excite me either given it’s hard to classify it as a “warbird”. However, the stellar flight performance and scale lines make up for that in my opinion. I flew it again tonight. Even at 4500’ elevation (and it’s the older outrunner model) I can pull up at airfield center into a vertical climb and perform two vertical aileron rolls and let it climb even more after the rolls before leveling the climb. It’s just a small dot at that point. I know one can’t expect that kind of performance from the F-86. But from what you had to say about it, the wonderful sound it makes, the classic jet lines... I should pull the trigger on it soon.
                        Thanks!
                        You've almost convinced me to pull the trigger on the L-39! Lol

Comment

• Repainted FW F86 and installed FMS 2100kv V2 edf,lots of vertical now,great plane to fly

Comment

• Originally posted by spyder1 View Post
                            Repainted FW F86 and installed FMS 2100kv V2 edf,lots of vertical now,great plane to fly
                            Very nice! I need to do a motor upgrade on my tired old F86. Probably should repaint it as well..

Comment

• Originally posted by spyder1 View Post
                              Repainted FW F86 and installed FMS 2100kv V2 edf,lots of vertical now,great plane to fly
                              S1, Great repaint and redo. I gotta get an F-86. Love that airframe. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I've scanned most of the posts. Does anyone have a good match for the silver? I want to cover parts of the insignias and replace them.

Attached Files

Comment

• After progressing to warbirds ( Eflite AT-6 1.5, P-39 1.3, FMS P-40 1.4, Flightline P-38 1.6 ) which I now fly with reasonable competence, I'd like to try my hand with an edf jet. As a first jet I'd prefer a scale, not a sport model. I fly off a well kept, pretty smooth 1" grass field. Considering the E-flite A-10 64mm, Freewing L-39 80mm and Freewing F-86 80mm inrunner. Given the grass field and its my first jet, although I do like the looks and size of the F-86, which would you recommend? If there is something else I should consider, feel free. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Amjet View Post
                                    I've scanned most of the posts. Does anyone have a good match for the silver? I want to cover parts of the insignias and replace them.
                                    I've been happy with Tamyia X11 Chrome Silver...Not a perfect match, but I don't think people have noticed my touch up with it.
                                    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
                                      After progressing to warbirds ( Eflite AT-6 1.5, P-39 1.3, FMS P-40 1.4, Flightline P-38 1.6 ) which I now fly with reasonable competence, I'd like to try my hand with an edf jet. As a first jet I'd prefer a scale, not a sport model. I fly off a well kept, pretty smooth 1" grass field. Considering the E-flite A-10 64mm, Freewing L-39 80mm and Freewing F-86 80mm inrunner. Given the grass field and its my first jet, although I do like the looks and size of the F-86, which would you recommend? If there is something else I should consider, feel free. Thanks
                                      Hands down no contest the FW F-86, unless you'd like to spend a little more cash and purchase the FW Venom 90mm. The Venom is actually slightly easier to land than the F-86, but both are *****cats and therefore in my opinion perfect Jet trainers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

Hands down no contest the FW F-86, unless you'd like to spend a little more cash and purchase the FW Venom 90mm. The Venom is actually slightly easier to land than the F-86, but both are *****cats and therefore in my opinion perfect Jet trainers.
                                        Couldn’t agree with you more. Personally I think the Venom is the best first jet. The F-86 is a really good choice as well.

Comment

• The F 86 is a dream to fly and a good first EDF .I fly mine of a grass runway and have no problem .Go for the inrunner F 86 ,that has a bit more power to get of the grass runway .The Venom fly itself and I would say the better EDF but you have to be carefully of the bouncing you get on landing if you do not get the landing right where has the F 86 lands a treat no problem on landings

Comment

Working...
                                          X