X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
    I always flew with the old Admiral 5000 about an inch back. Maiden I'm sure I flew with it all the way forward.
    If I had to guess on rates I'd say set it up like a warbird. Some jets need throws that look uncomfortable but end up being what's needed.
    My advice a smooth low deflected warbird type throw will serve you well. Some have acted like this bird is a handful but I found it well behaved. It's kind of heavy so it likes its speed, also I think the lower deflection will keep her in the groove so she won't exhibit any nastiness.
    Absolutely Ryan.................probably 90% of my fleet has 15 degree throw on the ELE & AIL.
    Fractional or millimeter length settings have been counterintuitive to me.;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Just a quick ? for every body that owns one these beauties..... Now that the ver.2 release of the ME-262 comes w/ the new type 2, 70mm ; 12 blade ; standard rotation only ; plastic fans,

has anybody had any trouble with or noticed a drift in the model's flight performance with their throttle usage???

In the past, the ver.1 had a 5 blade standard & reverse rotation fans to counter each other being that they were so far apart from center. On mine, I opted for the power upgrade to the High Performance inrunner power systems w/ the red standard & reversed rotation metal fans.

I'm just curious as to other people's experience with the newer ver.2s and I am contemplating on whether I should be looking at upgrading the Gloster Meteor if / when I decide to get one. :)

Comment

No issues with mine, and I have had both versions. FWIW, I don't think torque is really a factor on EDFs. Now, if you have one motor go out, that's a different story as the fans are spread so far apart.
        Pat

Comment

You have to get a bit extreme for EDF torque to be much of an issue.

But I could hit the throttle and lift the right wheel before the airplane moved forward.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like FHHuber.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

It's funny, my V1 used to do that, but the V2 doesn't.
            Pat

Comment

Finally ordered the ME -262 also another Gensace 5000 60c, Merry Christmas too me...............:)

Comment

I too received a freewing me-262 for Christmas, my first rc. Bought a champ s+ to train with

ordered the killerplanes reinforcement kit to beef up the foam parts.

I too would like the flying surfaces control travels and settings for the flaps, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. John

Comment

Originally posted by Stdriver View Post
                  I too received a freewing me-262 for Christmas, my first rc. Bought a champ s+ to train with

ordered the killerplanes reinforcement kit to beef up the foam parts.

I too would like the flying surfaces control travels and settings for the flaps, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. John
                  While a Me-262 makes a decent first twin EDF... its probably going to take you 3 to 4 other airplanes to be ready to fly it.

Control throws:

I have the Dynam. Same size, not quite the same airplane, but it should be close.

20 deg up/down from center ailerons
                  30 deg up/down from center elevator
                  35 to 40 deg right/left from center rudder.

If you have the channels to put the nose wheel on a separate channel, do it and put it 35 to 40 deg each way (so you can make tight enough turns taxiing out) but have HIGH (40% to 60% expo to make it easier to track straight on takeoff.

I did a mod to make the horizontal stab incidence adjustable in flight. After a lot of trim testing I found optimum stab incidence and CG, making the airplane capable of an outside loop. (can't do it with the Dynam Me-262 set up by the manual.)

Dynam starts you out VERY nose-heavy to make up for a tendency of the low mounted EDFs to push the nose up at low speed and high power. Its better to get the CG right and learn the throttle management to deal with the issue.
                  I talked with the pilot of one of the full scale reproductions and he said the full scale has the same issue and they have to be careful not to drive the nose up with power during takeoff.
                  Reproduction uses modern, more powerful (and more fuel efficient) engines than the original and is modified for a back seat. Otherwise its built from plans developed by disassembling an original for restoration.

Dynam horizontal stab in flight adjustable incidence mod:

Full scale Me-262 pilot holding my Dynam Me-262

Comment

Thanks fhhuber, I will put the information to good use. Plan on doing a lot of taxi testing and median speed runs without take offs, if possible lol.

lots of practice with my champ s+ in the near future if weather cooperates. Meanwhile installing the carbon fiber rods in the crashproofing kit.

John

Comment

I never did a crashproofing kit.

First Me-262 lasted a bit over a year and a half and then lost its tail in the vertical nose down of a split S at about 115 mph.

Second I pinned the vertical in place with some toothpicks and glued it in to back up the screw-on mounting. Its about done at 3 years old. Looking at the Freewing to replace it. But I'm disappointed at the very non-scale flaps of the Freewing (Dynam has no flaps though)

Comment

To Moderator: I will remove this post after a reasonable time, it won't be permanent.
                        I have a box of spare parts available for anyone who's interested. Send me a PM with a decent offer.

Unfortunately my Swallow met its end last summer, it suffered a brownout and went down into a plowed field. I had originally purchased my bird two years ago at a swap shop because its first owner had cartwheeled it, so I fixed the broken nose, purchased a new nose gear, did a bunch of repairs on the wing and replaced a nacelle. Lots of "body work and repainting". It was in really excellent shape and I enjoyed flying this plane a lot.

My accident completely destroyed the nose and it isn't repairable this time IMO due to foam compression. So I saved all the rest of the wreck, thinking that I would buy the new version and keep the parts as spares. But time has passed and I spent my money on the new F-4. (!!) I'm thinking that my collection of ME262 parts might come in very handy for any of you who are flying it.

The fuselage isn't usable as a spare part, but realize there are a large number of other valuable parts here:
                        • Two 6-blade EDFs and ESCs
                        • All three retracts and wheels. (nose gear doors are no good)
                        • all of the Servos (seven?), pushrods, and wiring
                        • removable Tail part (fin and stab).
                        • Canopy and pilot, the plastic wing parts like the connectors and ESC louvers (all good).
                        • Nacelles (they are not in good shape, one is bent. I think the louvers are broken)
                        • Wings (they are damaged but repairable)
                        • and I have most of a new decal sheet (I used some of the red dotted line on my earlier repair)
                        Not included: battery or receiver. It has a Dean's connector for the battery.

Since I disassembled the plane, it will fit into a box and I can ship it by FedEx ground for about $20 so factor that into your offer.
                        In other words if you offer me $50 keep in mind you're really only offering me $30.
                        Now, I feel just the twin motors/EDFs/ESCs and servos/retracts are worth at least $100. These parts alone from MRC would cost you $280.
                        Obviously I will take the best offer. Thank you ! -Marc
                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

I have done allot of work on my 262 but have only a few flights on her. I have to say she is one of the best flying jets I have, the plane is very well built and designed. I'm running my own non counter rotation edf power system @75A each and have not seen any negative effects. I'd suggest reinforcing the nose as the front section can be easy to do and a few people have had the nose break on a hard landing.The plane is super stable, the only thing to watch out is not to power up too quickly on takeoff as the thrust line is low so the nose can be pushed up too quickly before the plane has reached flyable speed (NO flap on take off, just let her come to speed and come up). Also as with any jet large sweeping turns and keep speed up. I have found you can cut power and she will glide right in, nice.

cg 110-113mm
                          10 to 12mm ele up (top of ele) I always use as little ele as needed as bad things can happen with too much ele :o)
                          15mm ale ( might add more, she rolled slow )
                          20mm rudder

Good starting point, the plane felt good right away, no pitch change with wheels or flaps, I will add a little down ele with throttle mix. She is a thing of beauty, hard to find a more beautiful jet.

Good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_154504.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	118441Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_154358.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	118442
                          here is the maiden video

rc flyin addict

Comment

Really is one of Freewing's better "Gen 1" jets. I may have to pony up for another. Flies great, very well behaved. Even with a loss of power and my friend thought she was toast, she just glided right in for a soft landing like it was nothing. Nice job btw!
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

+1 and thanks Aros. I could tell right away that this kit was a step up in quality and build from previous kits. The current v2 with the 12 blade fans looks to have excellent performance. I went with wemotec EVO fans and 75a CC controllers and it too is a solid setup, I wanted to be as efficient as possible given the total current draw from 2 edf units. This one I spent way too much time on (the biggest mod was changing to the dynam canopy, I wish freewing would mold a smaller one) but was rewarded in the end with a superb looking and flying scale jet, I highly recommend it. ( funny how the designers got the first jet right, notice how it looks exactly like the current passenger plane layout ! )
                              rc flyin addict

Comment

Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                                +1 and thanks Aros. I could tell right away that this kit was a step up in quality and build from previous kits. The current v2 with the 12 blade fans looks to have excellent performance. I went with wemotec EVO fans and 75a CC controllers and it too is a solid setup, I wanted to be as efficient as possible given the total current draw from 2 edf units. This one I spent way too much time on (the biggest mod was changing to the dynam canopy, I wish freewing would mold a smaller one) but was rewarded in the end with a superb looking and flying scale jet, I highly recommend it. ( funny how the designers got the first jet right, notice how it looks exactly like the current passenger plane layout ! )
                                LOL the ME262 was carefully researched after the war by the Americans and Russians, the aerodynamics were certainly superb. The F86 Sabre and MiG-15 were direct offshoots. Many modern jets owe a lot to their "grandfather's" good looks. So in other words, the Me262 doesn't look like modern jets - its the other way around !!
                                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

yup, they got it right, it then got copied ;)
                                  rc flyin addict

Comment

Look at what a friend of mine did with a used FW Me-262! :)

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                                      yup, they got it right, it then got copied ;)
                                      Actually, the Me262 taught the Germans a few things. They were definitely doing some amazing aviation development.

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                        Look at what a friend of mine did with a used FW Me-262! :)
                                        :Scared:

That is so cool!

Comment

Somebody liked it so much he commissioned my friend to build 3 of them for him and his buddies!
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X