X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Could be a few things. You don't say how it's beeping which could help. Depending on the radio you are using you may need to reverse the throttle channel (caution). Another simple thing is having a throttle cut on. Last would be that the ESCs need calibrating, which every electric airplane should have done initially and if there are any changes in ESCs, receivers, or TX set up.
    I know he's figured it out now but I wanted to key in on the words in red.
    Was at a fun fly yesterday with my AL37 (WestJet livery - WestJet is based in Calgary). Everyone wanted a picture of it and everyone one was waiting to see it fly. Didn't happen. Both ESCs/motors did this fast, constant beeping as soon as the battery was plugged. Everything else worked. I tried most of the stuff I would normally do in such a situation but nothing worked at the field. I gave up and when I got it home, later in the evening, I went and started the "process". Decided to do a throttle calibration. AND IT WORKED! Somehow, in the time it was hanging in storage (a couple of months), it lost its throttle calibration. I have no idea why. I was going to trace all the wiring, then try a new RX next, then try a known good ESC, etc. If only I had started with T.C. first at the field.

Comment

• That tells me you have not calibrated your ESCs. There are instructions with most ESCs and on line with many aircraft manuals or instructional videos.

Comment

• Thank You again Evan, you are correct, they needed to be calibrated. Just went and did that, and they are working perfect without any trim adjustments. Thank You so much

Comment

• Great to hear!

Comment

• I was wondering if anyone has found a good alternate trailing link replacement for the mains on the Tomcat. Or possibly metal servo housings. I have installed the RC Informer mod to beef up the airframe, but am looking at installing trailing link due to the condition of the field I fly at. Cracking servo housings are becoming annoying.

Comment

• Originally posted by rlcamden View Post
              I was wondering if anyone has found a good alternate trailing link replacement for the mains on the Tomcat. Or possibly metal servo housings. I have installed the RC Informer mod to beef up the airframe, but am looking at installing trailing link due to the condition of the field I fly at. Cracking servo housings are becoming annoying.
              I'm in the same position as you. I've searched and found a few possibilities but I'm hoping someone will come along who has actually installed some on the plane. I will wait till I break the stock retracts (again) that are on the plane before I start to look into it more. So far, there are Eflite retracts, RC Lander retracts and Electron retracts. All are full metal and all are "expensive". Just need to confirm hole spacing and overall size.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone has found a good alternate trailing link replacement for the mains on the Tomcat. Or possibly metal servo housings. I have installed the RC Informer mod to beef up the airframe, but am looking at installing trailing link due to the condition of the field I fly at. Cracking servo housings are becoming annoying.
                This gentleman who made this video appeared to have made modifications to his landing gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  I'm in the same position as you. I've searched and found a few possibilities but I'm hoping someone will come along who has actually installed some on the plane. I will wait till I break the stock retracts (again) that are on the plane before I start to look into it more. So far, there are Eflite retracts, RC Lander retracts and Electron retracts. All are full metal and all are "expensive". Just need to confirm hole spacing and overall size.
                  So far, the closest thing I have come up with is the optional trailing link A-10 nose gear strut. But, I will have to trim alot of foam in order to get it to work. Just seeing if anyone else has come up with any ideas.

Comment

• I mentioned the Mig29 struts before. Not trailing link but they are heavier duty.

Comment

• I don't know if anyone has tried this, but here is my idea for adding support to the mains. I printed a strut clip by ShadowVFX (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3926466), the brace from kallend (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3326062), and used the stock "slider" tray for the nose wheel. The dry run appears to be ok, with enough clearance on the brace and servo to somewhat insert it into the foam. It may not look the best, but I think I can make it functional.

Comment

So far, the closest thing I have come up with is the optional trailing link A-10 nose gear strut. But, I will have to trim alot of foam in order to get it to work. Just seeing if anyone else has come up with any ideas.
                        My first attempt at 3D design for the A-10 trailing link nose strut to use on the F-14 to add trailing link mains. The 3D printed test file fit nicely. I added 5mm to the overall length compared to the pictures in order for the wheel to align more with the wheel well. Only minor amounts of foam to trim out. Now I need to source a machinist and get a quote to have it made in aluminum.

First attempt at creating a modification to add trailing link main gears to the Freewing F-14. This was generated as a test fit prior to machining. It replaces the lower "fork" in the A-10 trailing link nose gear.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I have wanted to add Heat Exchanger Duct Vents to the Freewing F-14 for a while now since I really enjoy the way they look on the full-scale version, so I designed and 3D printed some. These were painted in Aluminum and then shaded with sone thinned Black paint, and secured with a small amount of CA glue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2880F76B-DDE4-4C6C-A5BA-2D8BF9A3A232.jpeg
Views:	683
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	323536Click image for larger version

Name:	B0D51513-3C33-43AD-86F5-A3AFF794DC38.jpeg
Views:	659
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	323537Click image for larger version

Name:	B7B65B15-918B-4C44-9E16-DD3C6B75ACD1.jpeg
Views:	650
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	323538Click image for larger version

Name:	70C6CFB1-F552-4B61-8BAE-4798D870B42C.jpeg
Views:	653
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	323539

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                            I have wanted to add Heat Exchanger Duct Vents to the Freewing F-14 for a while...
                            TC, Now we're talkin'...nice touch, Sir. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TC, Now we're talkin'...nice touch, Sir. Best, LB
                              Thanks a ton, Elbee! These have been on my mind for a long time, so it was nice to get the project done. After some carving of foam about 3.5mm deep, I used a little CA to glue them in and they were done.

Comment

• Nice touch T-CAT ! I love subtle yet powerful scale adds like that!
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                  Nice touch T-CAT ! I love subtle yet powerful scale adds like that!
                                  Thanks Aros! I love small, easy, cheap, lightweight, and visually appealing scale modifications.

Comment

• Hi,

Is there a dedicated page to the turbine conversion of this bird?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaun Evans View Post
                                      Hi,

Is there a dedicated page to the turbine conversion of this bird?
                                      Or does anyone know of one?

Comment

• Okee Dokee...

Comment

• Unfortunately, I don’t know of any Turbine conversion threads on this specific Tomcat. Maybe there is one that can be found via Google search. Many people have converted the Freewing F-14 to a turbine jet (just by seeing all the videos on YouTube and we have a turbine Freewing F-14 at our local field), but it’s likely done more often without online documentation.

As much as I love turbine jets, and Tomcats, I could never get myself to do a single Turbine in any twin engine jet. For me, it takes away from the visual appeal, even if it is slightly hidden between the two ducts. If I ever convert a Tomcat from EDF to Turbine, it would have to be twin turbines, and then I’d make a 3D printed mold to make a custom center fuel tank. The downside would be much more cost, complexity, and often weight, all of which wouldn’t be worth it to me on this jet. This is I why I remain flying it in EDF form, ha-ha.

However, I can definitely see the appeal using a single center turbine, and of the people I know who have converted either this F-14 or other foam twin EDF jets to turbine, they’ve really enjoyed it, and it still looks good overall. Good luck on your project if you decide to do so!

Comment

Working...
                                          X