X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    The UBEC powers the receiver and has to be plugged in. You are hearing the ESC which gets its power from the main battery directly. Since you are not using all the servo slots just plug the BEC in one of those.

When I do a build I often put an extension on the bind port so I can rebind when I stash the receiver in the back and it's hard to get to. On plane with BECs in the bind slot I'll make that a Y so the BEC is plugged in and I can also plug in the bind plug.
    Problem solved. Thank you. Elevator was reversed, solved that no problem but when I manipulate the ailerons on the transmitter it moves the flap servo and vice versa. Is there a way to fix this other than switching out the servos altogether . Sorry if these are dumb questions I have always had RTF birds so have never had to deal with it before.

Comment

• You have the servos plugged into the wrong slots on the MCBe blue box or the between the MCBe and the receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have the upgraded elevator mounts - they use the same parts from the same molds, and use the same assembly line steps except for motor and ESC installation.

IMO this is overthinking things, especially as the revision has been out for quite some time.
        No, and thanks for your opinion. It was a question to verify before purchase. Variations of different models sell at different speeds. Only MRC can say what stock they actually have on hand, even if they were already produced doesn't mean that is what is being shipped to customers....
        Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

• While I agree with your post I think you are being unfair to Fred. He was trying to answer a question that should have been asked directly to whom you where going to buy it from, Motion in your case.

And even then I doubt that they will open a box for you to verify the one you'll get has been updated.

James says they made the update way back in 2018. I can tell you I have assembled F-18's bought last year 2020, from Motion, that hadn't been updated...

Originally posted by tdford6 View Post

No thanks for your opinion. It was a question to verify before purchase. Variations of different models sell at different speeds. Only MRC can say what stock they actually have on hand, even if they were already produced doesn't mean that is what is being shipped to customers....

Comment

• This is really frustrating . When I use the ailerons now it controls one aileron and one flap, and the the same when I use flaps, one of each. Everything is plugged in as it is labeled and as preinstalled from factory. Gear not working at all. Rudder, throttle, and elevator ok. Here are my pictures . Any help appreciated.

Comment

• We really can't help from pictures. It's got to be in the wiring. Not to say it's your case but I have seen leads mislabeled and I've seen leads in the wrong slots from the factory including in the wing interconnection points in the wing roots. Take your time, you'll figure it out.

Comment

While I agree with your post I think you are being unfair to Fred. He was trying to answer a question that should have been asked directly to whom you where going to buy it from, Motion in your case.

And even then I doubt that they will open a box for you to verify the one you'll get has been updated.

James says they made the update way back in 2018. I can tell you I have assembled F-18's bought last year 2020, from Motion, that hadn't been updated...

Kind of exactly why I asked the question to MRC...

Thanks for helping prove the point of just because the manufacturing had changed, their is still stock being shipped that hadn't. But sounds like all stock should be updated now.
                Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

• I'm planning on doing a 2nd F-18 Hornet to compliment my 2017 Canadian Hornet. I have the 6S 12 blade inrunner in that one and was fully expecting to install another of the same fan in this 2nd one, but all of a sudden got a hair brained thought . Why not try an 8S Hornet. The 8S 12 blade fan produces 5000-5200 g thrust, vs the 6S 12 blade at 4000 g thrust. The battery bay looks large enough to handle two decent high C 4S 6000's at over 75 mm in width. My current Hornet flies great, even on grass, but the thought of an additional 25% of thrust over the 6S 12 blade inrunner has me salivating.

Anyone out there done their FW 90mm Hornet on 8S, I'd love to hear about it!!
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Mines on a Jet Fan and HET 1680. I use a Turnigy Plush 120HV ESC and 5200 6+2 LiPo. Flies superb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                      I'm planning on doing a 2nd F-18 Hornet .... an 8S Hornet.
                      I'll be watching this one ... love my 8S F-4.

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post

I'll be watching this one ... love my 8S F-4.

Andy
                        Having 2nd thoughts on the 8S, only because the 6S 12 blade performs so well, not sure it's needed. The real issue is getting it to balance in the range of 105mm to 115mm with 2 5000 or 6000 4S batteries. Even though the 8S fan is slightly heavier, the over 900 g of batteries make it too nose heavy, even after relocating the circuit board, without having to add weight in the tail. Was planning on doing a slightly modified cockpit, but not the full blown 150 gr extra weight cockpit in my other F18, so there's another extra nose weight.

The other big issue is batteries. I have way too many large (6000 to 8100) 6S batteries and virtually no 4S or 2S 5000-6000, so I'd have to go on another battery buying binge. Bottom line, the flight engineers are still working the case, but don't expect them to be much help, just like the rest of my crew; oh crap, they're all the same person. 🤔
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Yes, I have to say that since I've sorted out my short flight times , I'm very happy with the 6S setup and there's very definitely no shortage of power.

I guess any extra weight would be marginal, however in-flight power-to-weight ratios aside there would be extra stresses being placed on the undercarriage (particularly the nose gear) on landing which would put me off.

My F-18 is rock solid with the gyro A3S3 gyro fitted, I'm wondering if it's more stable than my A-10. I've been blown away with how well behaved she's been since my first "interesting" flight with the single jammed flap.

BTW, Gooniac is currently building my F-4 and F-18 afterburner modules 😎

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                            I'm very happy with the 6S setup and there's very definitely no shortage of power.
                            BTW, Gooniac is currently building my F-4 and F-18 afterburner modules 😎

Andy
                            Have to agree with that on the 6S setup. Maybe that's why I'm leaning to just "keep it simple, stupid". No having to try new batteries when what I have will suffice!

You'll love the Gooniac fire booties, we can't have too much flame coming out of our rear ends, as long as there's no smoke with it! I won't leave home without it.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I have a few 8S planes so when I got the F-18 I already had some 8S batteries plus some 2S that were matched to 6S's I have. Years back HK had really good 5800mAh 8S packs and then I bought a couple Hobby Star 5200 8S packs. Since then I bought Hobby Star 5200 2S to match the fifteen Hobby Star 5200 6S packs I have. Recently I have been replacing the older HS packs with Power Hobby 5200 and Coddar 5200 2S (I'm really liking the Coddar brand). The old HK 5800 were heavy for the F-18 but the HS and Power Hobby/ Coddar set are 880-890g and balance great in my F-18. I am running a Jet Fan/ HET set up though.

Comment

I have a few 8S planes so when I got the F-18 I already had some 8S batteries plus some 2S that were matched to 6S's I have. Years back HK had really good 5800mAh 8S packs and then I bought a couple Hobby Star 5200 8S packs. Since then I bought Hobby Star 5200 2S to match the fifteen Hobby Star 5200 6S packs I have. Recently I have been replacing the older HS packs with Power Hobby 5200 and Coddar 5200 2S (I'm really liking the Coddar brand). The old HK 5800 were heavy for the F-18 but the HS and Power Hobby/ Coddar set are 880-890g and balance great in my F-18. I am running a Jet Fan/ HET set up though.
                                I'll bet it flies incredible. Late last year I got 4 of the HobbyStar 8000 mah 100C batteries and flew them in my F-16 with the 6S 12 blade inrunner. They worked well, weighing in at 904 gr and got over 5 minutes but they are a little pricey at $179 each. Tested those out on my IR meter and the actual C was more like 20C, but still enough to give great performance in the F-16. Recently, I've been using the SMC 8100 mah 20 C, which also weighs 904 gr. All of SMC's Flight batteries I've tested are true to the label, in fact the 8100 tested out more like 24C. Cost was $136 and the fan draws about about 5% more amps & watts using the SMC and I can tell it gives a bit more thrust, but can't tell you the exact number. Their 6000 mah 6S batteries test out the best I've ever seen, always at the labeled C. All other manufacturers I've tested are lucky to hit 50% of the labeled C. They have a good price and their weights are comparable or lower than others, so I'm a big fan of his batteries. I just couldn't come up with the right combo in the F-18 for an 8S system though using SMC. Danny is very responsive though and is working on a set for RudyD54 for an 8S F-16 he's working on.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Finally got everything working except the beacon and the landing light? Both are plugged in to the blue box so not sure what the issue is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Having 2nd thoughts on the 8S, only because the 6S 12 blade performs so well, not sure it's needed. The real issue is getting it to balance in the range of 105mm to 115mm with 2 5000 or 6000 4S batteries. Even though the 8S fan is slightly heavier, the over 900 g of batteries make it too nose heavy, even after relocating the circuit board, without having to add weight in the tail. Was planning on doing a slightly modified cockpit, but not the full blown 150 gr extra weight cockpit in my other F18, so there's another extra nose weight.

The other big issue is batteries. I have way too many large (6000 to 8100) 6S batteries and virtually no 4S or 2S 5000-6000, so I'd have to go on another battery buying binge. Bottom line, the flight engineers are still working the case, but don't expect them to be much help, just like the rest of my crew; oh crap, they're all the same person. 🤔
                                    If you have a metal FW 90mm duct, you could try installing your 6S motor and fan in that to mitigate the CG-balancing issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                                      Finally got everything working except the beacon and the landing light? Both are plugged in to the blue box so not sure what the issue is.
                                      You've tried connecting the beacon and landing lights to known working male connectors, e.g. navigation lights, and confirmed they are working?

Have you connected the navigation lights to the LED connectors in question and confirmed it's a blue box issue?

You haven't plugged them in reversed-polarity (black to ground, red to positive)?

Can you post a clear picture of the LED ports with LEDs connected?

Comment

You've tried connecting the beacon and landing lights to known working male connectors, e.g. navigation lights, and confirmed they are working?

Have you connected the navigation lights to the LED connectors in question and confirmed it's a blue box issue?

You haven't plugged them in reversed-polarity (black to ground, red to positive)?

Can you post a clear picture of the LED ports with LEDs connected?
                                        I checked connectors in nav light slots and they both work fine. Lights themselves are fine there is another issue. Here is the pic
                                        Attached Files

Comment

If you have a metal FW 90mm duct, you could try installing your 6S motor and fan in that to mitigate the CG-balancing issue.
                                          Not sure exactly what you mean. I'm already using the 6S 4068-1835 kv 12 blade inrunner and it comes with a metal duct, same as with the 8S 12 blade inrunner.
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X