Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figured Id post a photo of both plates...you can see the crack is in the same spot (not coming from the screw area) while my props were balanced..I didnt weigh them..just balanced them on the back plate with my balancer.and btw, it wasnt from strikes..tips still in brand new shape
    www.TSHobbies.com
    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Finally got going on the Build. Re-watched the MotionRC build video before I started and presorted all the screws. Piece of cake. Only issue so far...and a very minor one at that was fitting one of the wings. It didn't want to seat all the way, turns out is was just a good sized run of glue from the a CF spar on the mating surface. Hobby knife cleaned that right up.

Only mod, (if you can really call it a mod) is that I changed out the T-connectors for XT60's as all my batteries have XT60's. I have a few 4S 2800mah that I figured I'd start off with. Silly me didn't test fit them before making the change. Together they are too wide. Oh well, there is always a never ending shopping list that just got a bit longer.

Also if anyone is interested. I have finish Modding a P-38 File for Realflight 7.5. Dimensions, weights and Power-plant are nearly identical for the Flightline P-38L. I weighed each component before I assembled the plane. I think I got it very close, cause to get it to flight level at about 55% power I had to add in 3% up elevator. Which works out to about the same as the 4mm of up elevator called out for our bird. She may be a bit under powered however, as flat-out level in the sim it will only do 65mph. I used the Mustang Prop as is was the closest I could find, set to the same size and pitch, but can't be sure it is as efficient. Any way to the point if anyone has interest, I will upload it to the Swap Pages.
      Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
      R. A. Heinlein

Comment

• That definitely looks like a structural failure. With both cracks in the identical spot at the base of a propeller blade, that is just too much of a coincidence. You might, by looking closely, check for mold marks on the parts to see if both spinners failed at the same point in the mold or if anyone else has had similar cracking issues. That would be a good indicator of a structural failure. Anyway, Happy Fathers Day, otherwise known as guiltfree flying day! LOL Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by Delizar View Post
          Finally got going on the Build. Re-watched the MotionRC build video before I started and presorted all the screws. Piece of cake. Only issue so far...and a very minor one at that was fitting one of the wings. It didn't want to seat all the way, turns out is was just a good sized run of glue from the a CF spar on the mating surface. Hobby knife cleaned that right up.

Only mod, (if you can really call it a mod) is that I changed out the T-connectors for XT60's as all my batteries have XT60's. I have a few 4S 2800mah that I figured I'd start off with. Silly me didn't test fit them before making the change. Together they are too wide. Oh well, there is always a never ending shopping list that just got a bit longer.

Also if anyone is interested. I have finish Modding a P-38 File for Realflight 7.5. Dimensions, weights and Power-plant are nearly identical for the Flightline P-38L. I weighed each component before I assembled the plane. I think I got it very close, cause to get it to flight level at about 55% power I had to add in 3% up elevator. Which works out to about the same as the 4mm of up elevator called out for our bird. She may be a bit under powered however, as flat-out level in the sim it will only do 65mph. I used the Mustang Prop as is was the closest I could find, set to the same size and pitch, but can't be sure it is as efficient. Any way to the point if anyone has interest, I will upload it to the Swap Pages.
          I would love to have that file. I need to practice landings more.

Comment

• Yes, I'll be looking for that file as well, thanks Delizar and welcome to the Squawk if it hasn't been said already!!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• I'll get it posted on Monday. Was out on location Friday and went home from there. So my laptop is sitting in my office.
              R. A. Heinlein

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                Good. Weighing and equalizing the blades first merely makes them less of a factor when you do the final balancing. Then you are only balancing the backing plate for irregularities. Either way works.
                I either sand off the heavy blade or use electric tape on the lighter ones till they all weigh the same. Then to balance the hub, I use hot glue opposite the heavy spots.
                I'm still anxiously waiting for the "green" version to get stocked and now I see the motor upgrade and V-4.1 is also out of stock. I wish they had a pre-order feature. This is my 2nd electric; 1st is the Birdseyeview FireFly6 VTOL flying wing and I made sure to balance all 6 blades, but I haven't dealt with a 3 blade configuration. Can someone post a "how to" on balancing the 3 prop blades and back plates? I'm using the Du-Bro balancer. Many thanks.
                Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• Id love to see a p38 electric, real flight swap pages has one in gas, I downloaded and it flys really similar to ours, please post electric :o)
                  The spinner cracks a bit scary, I should pull the spinners off before I wish I had .
                  To balance a 3 blade prop mount blades to the back plate and attach to balancer. Just keep adding weight till you cannot have a heavy blade. In the past I've used small pieces of duct tape or you can use lacquer on the blades and keep coating the light blade, lacquer drys real fast and seals the decals in and smooths the rough finish a bit. I balanced the spinner front pieces separately with small pieces of duct tape.
                  rc flyin addict

Comment

• Here is a link to the Swap page file. This is a Variant so you will have to load the Main file listed on the page as well.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=22599

If you have any troubles with it let me know. I haven't put my P-38 in the air yet so I don't know how close this actually fly's. I will open a Thread on the Flight Simulator page. So as not to clutter up this Thread.
                    R. A. Heinlein

Comment

• Thanks Delizar, pretty cool, I've downloaded and I'll have to try I out.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey thanks Delizar! I am always on the lookout for cool, relevant RF add-ons like Freewing, FMS, etc...Thanks for taking the time! Flies nice...A bit lighter feeling than the FL P-38 but you have the general characteristics down nicely so good job! I HATE that default electric motor sound RF uses on every single electric plane. I wish they would upgrade their sound files...Ugh.
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Bravo Delizar on the RF p-38. I increased the cell count to 5 and the throttle response is now very close to my FL p-38.

Comment

• anyone tried using lipos bigger than 3300s in this plane?
                            www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• I'm using a pair of Admiral 3600's in mine, they are pushed all the way back and the balance is fine. She flies fine with them and I get 6 minutes of mixed throttle flying (75% power average).

Comment

• Besides the 2500s, I'm flying with the Admiral 3600's also. Just like dkalwishky, the 3600's is pushed all the way back and the balance is fine, and flies great.
                                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delizar View Post
                                  Here is a link to the Swap page file. This is a Variant so you will have to load the Main file listed on the page as well.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=22599

If you have any troubles with it let me know. I haven't put my P-38 in the air yet so I don't know how close this actually fly's. I will open a Thread on the Flight Simulator page. So as not to clutter up this Thread.
                                  I have to say that it flies very similar. VERY similar. The real thing may have a little more pep but it is close. Particularly the final approach. This version you made sinks just like the real thing and it difficult for me to control on final. Thank you very much for making this. It will allow me to practice my landings so that when I fly my P-38 I will be prepared and able to land it more gently.

Out of curiosity...is anyone else noticing the sinking on final? Anyone else feel like they are fighting the glide slope? Not knocking the plane. It may well be me. I land my other aircraft fine, but this one is giving me some trouble. I land OK, but usually bounce a little. Trying to get a nice smooth slope going.

Tips and criticism welcome. I'm open to suggestion so I can become a better pilot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arycon View Post

I have to say that it flies very similar. VERY similar. The real thing may have a little more pep but it is close. Particularly the final approach. This version you made sinks just like the real thing and it difficult for me to control on final. Thank you very much for making this. It will allow me to practice my landings so that when I fly my P-38 I will be prepared and able to land it more gently.

Out of curiosity...is anyone else noticing the sinking on final? Anyone else feel like they are fighting the glide slope? Not knocking the plane. It may well be me. I land my other aircraft fine, but this one is giving me some trouble. I land OK, but usually bounce a little. Trying to get a nice smooth slope going.

Tips and criticism welcome. I'm open to suggestion so I can become a better pilot.
                                    Compared to my FW Mustang and Durafly Mustang, I find the 38 alot more easier to control on landing approach(no flaps). With landing flaps (flap/ele mix) even easier...but, that may be due to how i've played with and adjusted the mix. Infact i'm sure that's why. BUT, thinking about this "sinking" your talking about. I've found that if I keep my power up on final approach, that of course is going reduce that sinking you feel yourself fighting. And keeps you at a more "solid feeling" because of your air speed. When you get close to that stalling speed she will get mushy to control, and then you are greatly increasing the chances of a not so pretty/soft landing. Keep your speed up and let her sink, while just putting some presure on the up elevator control stick. Then, when your only a foot or two above the runway, reduce your throttle to control the rate of descent to flare and touchdown. After mains touch, cut throttle. I've found this method has made me consistant in good landings.
                                    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• thankls guys..I have quite a few 4000s that are just a tad bigger than my 3300s, was tempted to try them
                                      www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• Delizar, thanks for the links. I've downloaded the files but have to admit don't know what to do with them. What's my next step ?

Woody

Comment

• Woody, here is a link with a walk through of importing planes into Realflight . ;http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/impo...importhelp.php
                                          R. A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                                          X