Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC ML I'm not familiar with that motor. Based on the specs found on-line, it would likely be under powered. The plane will come in at more that the 20lbs on the product page. In order to get it to balance right, it will weigh about 25-26lbs. The 3000watts of output from the motor you mentioned, would only give you about 115w per lb. A bit too low for a model with a big round front end like the Gilmore IMHO.

A power set-up that would turn a 24" prop and produce 140-150w/per lb. would provide a balance of proper look and sport performance.

Comment

• Thanks for the info . I will go for the Dualsky 160kv

Comment

• The Admiral GP60 and DualSky 180kv motors would be fine choices too.

In fact, the Admiral GP60 was supposed to be the motor going into my Gilmore. But, do to availability delays, I opted for the DualSky, in order to get the build going. I'm still more than happy with the DualSky.

Comment

• I just pulled the trigger! Thank you for all of the info in this thread! I'll try to add to it!

Comment

• Welcome to Red Lion Land! What are your plans for power?

I've enjoyed your other project posts. It would be great to see your progress on the Gilmore shared here too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
              Welcome to Red Lion Land! What are your plans for power?

I've enjoyed your other project posts. It would be great to see your progress on the Gilmore shared here too.
              Thanks man! I plan to do a full video series on this plane as well. Twow, all of the data you've added here is GOLD. the fact that you'd found through trial and error an enjoyable CG....that's priceless...and partly why I pulled the trigger. (AND because motion has spare parts....which is very important with these huge wheel pants)

I'll be going electric...so now it's just to find the right motor. I have a ton of 6S packs...so I might see my options of running 4 packs in series & parallel instead of buying new 6k or 7k packs. We'll see. Lots of options.

Comment

• djmoose Thanks for the kudos. Your prefered CG and throws may wind up different. Either way, staring out tail heavy rarely ends well. The Gilmore has a long tail moment as well. So having too much throw on the elevator, for flight, makes an unpleasant situation even worse. The ailerons are relatively small, so aren't as sensitive.

The wheel pants are pretty sturdy. Attach them with screw vs. epoxying as the instructions say. The supplied wheels have no real give to them so, unless you nose over, the wheel pants won't get damaged. I may, at some point, explore better wheels for it.

Going 4 6S packs in a 2S/2P configuration should be doable. Especially if it eliminates the need for dead weight in the nose.

Comment

• It looks like the latest shipment of the BH Gilmore will be sold out soon. Only 8 left, in the U.S. warehouse, as of this morning.

That means that there should be a lot of these birds out there flying this year. Let's just hope that this COVID thing comes under control soon, so they can be seen at events this year. I'm hoping to take mine to the Golden Age Air Museum RC Fly-in, The Aeros' Festival of Giants, and The Rhinebeck Jamboree.

Comment

• Just received My Gilmore today and everything was in great shape during the unboxing review.

One question though... Did anyone else have to bond on the all of the cowl bump-outs or did the cowl come with them installed?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gilmore Cowl.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	297136

Comment

• I got mine but haven’t opened the box yet.

Comment

• mechwizz Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Mine was from the first batch and came with the cowl blisters attached.

Looking forward to following your and djmoose builds.

Comment

• Twowingtj Could you post a couple of close up pictures of the blisters on your cowl. I have been plying around with the trim but do not want to go to far. Your picture will help me figure out exactly how the factory did it. Thanks in advance!!!

Comment

• I can imagine that the blisters will be a NIGHTMARE to get looking good.

Comment

• djmoose I must admit that I am not real happy about them not being applied. Instruction manual says noting about mounting them either. The plastic is very thick on these and the depression in the cowl not deep at all. the cut edges of the blisters will be white and stick out like a sore thumb. I am going to have to try and match the paint and airbrush the look back around.

Well, I guess some modeling will be required... LOL

Comment

• <moose is away doing research to see when and which Model 44s had blistered cowls>

Comment

• Start of 1932 Bendix Trophy Race (Burbank to Cleveland)

Click image for larger version  Name:	redlion_cleveland.PNG Views:	0 Size:	396.4 KB ID:	297566

Comment

• This thing looks awesome, but really cries for a gas radial engine. How difficult would it be to find the right template to mount one of the radials that have been discussed (Saito or UMS)?

Comment

• RCBobP Welcome to Hobby Squawk! There are a few here that have mentioned mounting a radial in the Gilmore. Maybe, they'll post some pics and answer your question.

mechwizz Here's a pic of my cowl. Hope it helps. A pair of canopy sissors would work best to cut the blisters out. I have no idea why Black Horse doesn't install them. Unless it's to give the buyer the option of smoothing over the blister pockets and repainting the cowl. The Wedell-Williams Model 44, in Gilmore Red Lion livery did not have the cowl blisters.

A freind and fellow club member just ordered the Glimore. He's going to redo it as the black and red Miss Patterson color scheme. Jimmy Wedell's own race #44. Simular to this one. Note the radial tucked into the cowl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIwhLahddE

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gil Cowl.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	297641

Comment

• Just ordered mine. Will go with the Saito FG 90R3.

Comment

• RCBobP Congrats. Please share your experience with the Gilmore build and flights.

As of this morning, there are only 3 left in the U.S. warehouse.

FYI, Here is a quote from Tom, one of the Motion RC owners. It is from the thread about Motion RC becoming the U.S. distributors of the former VQ line. It will likely affect the Black Horse line as well.
                                          "Jan 28, 2021, 04:18 PM
                                          Sorry for the slow response. I just saw this now. Ideally, I want to carry most of their planes. The reality is that they are a small factory and balsa wood is in very short supply. You will see our selection of planes increasing slowly. The goal is to continue to restock the planes on our website while adding new ones. How long this takes is going to be highly dependent on the wood supply, production capacity, and customer demand. We're seeing prices for balsa skyrocket. Even with these high prices, it is difficult to procure more balsa to make more planes and it is having an impact on production. Unfortunately, the raw material price is seriously affecting our purchase price and we're going to be forced to pass that along as new planes arrive. I know, I'm full of good news 🙄"

mechwizz I had to do some touch-ups on my Gilmore cowl. I mixed Testors Flat Tan, Flat White, and Flat Black to match the paint. It took a while experimenting to get it right. Mainly because the paint darkens as it dries.

Comment

Working...
                                          X