Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC-56 Canopy Glue or even Foam- Tac works on the canopy.

Comment

• foam tac works good if you don't have canopy glue on hand.

Comment

• Glad somebody snagged the open box deal for a Gilmore. Should be easy to fix.

Comment

• Got the Gilmore out for some flights after changing out the tires and elevator servos that weren't centering.

The new elevator servos fixed to feeling of being tail heavy. I moved the CG back to 115mm and it felt good and had locked in.

The use of the Du-Bro 5" pneumatic wheels did not work out well. Take offs were fine. Landings were another story.

The wheels were inflated per the Du-Bro instructions. They spun freely on the axels and there seemed to be sufficient clearance around the tire at the wheel opening.

On the first landing, the tail came up and resulted in a nose over. The bird had never shown a tendency to nose over in the past. Both wheels were spinning freely with no drag on the axles. The evidence showed that the tire sidewalls had contacted the wheel openings on the wheel pants, acting as brakes. The only damage was on the bottom of the cowl.

More air was added to the tires, so that they compressed very little while sitting static.

The second landing was looking good until the right gear hit a bump on the runway shortly after touch down. It nosed over again. This time, damage was more significant. There was additional damage to the cowl, the cowl ring was broken and the right gear tore loose. The right wheel pant was also broken.

Looking at the right landing gear, it was obvious that when the gear hit the bump, the tire compressed causing the tire sidewalls to balloon out and make solid contact with the wheel pants.

It looks repairable but, will take a bit of work. I will be going back to a more rigid wheel and tire.

Comment

• Twowingtj So sorry to hear about your issues. I've had mine nose over on 2 separate occasions, but for a much different reason. (My fault really) On landings when I have tried to turn around but was still going a little to fast it bounced on those hard wheels as it tried to turn which caused it to slow down and nose over. I was lucky both times.

Do you have an idea of what tire you are going to switch to since the Du-Bro didn't work out? I had been thinking I wanted a softer tire, but now i'm not sure. Keep us posted on your choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
              Twowingtj So sorry to hear about your issues. I've had mine nose over on 2 separate occasions, but for a much different reason. (My fault really) On landings when I have tried to turn around but was still going a little to fast it bounced on those hard wheels as it tried to turn which caused it to slow down and nose over. I was lucky both times.

Do you have an idea of what tire you are going to switch to since the Du-Bro didn't work out? I had been thinking I wanted a softer tire, but now i'm not sure. Keep us posted on your choice.
              VERY sorry to hear about your recent mishaps @Twowingtj. Hoping you will be able to fix the damage soon without much hassle.

The kit supplied tires are really hard/stiff, they offer very little if any absorption. I have just yesterday ordered a pair of Sullivan 5" Skylite wheels with the hope they will offer better landing and ground running performance.

DaleD

Comment

• Thanks guys.

I have used the Sullivan Skylite wheels on other birds with good results. They are firm but also have some yield when used on birds with some weight to them like the Gilmore. 99% sure that they will be my choice for replacement wheels.

Comment

• My build has slowed compared to when I first started. Apologies for the delayed updates

Prior to ordering the Sullivan Skylite wheels I installed a pair of World Models inflatable wheels but they feel a bit on the heavy side which influenced my decision to pull the trigger on the Skylites. I managed to modify the CG rig by filling in the existing 1/4-20 hole at 118mm and making a new 4-40 hole at 112mm as recommended.

With the current set up:- UMS 575 for motor, two A123 packs, BoomaRC redundancy switch and the inflatable wheels, I’m able to balance with things as arranged in the picture.

I expect with the Slylite wheels installed, I may need to move the batteries forward a bit.

Hopefully, this weekend I will be a bit more productive.

DaleD
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Looking good! I too have ordered the Skylite 5" wheels. Should have gone with them to start with.

Comment

• I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune Tony. I have Skylite wheels on some other large scale aircraft. They have some good qualities. If you fly from unimproved (dirt, gravel or otherwise rocky runways) be aware they puncture easily as they are a plastic compound and not rubber. On heavy models they will also wear rather quickly. The ones on my 120" Turbo Beaver have only been used on grass and geotex, however they are already wearing thin and making me nervous. I only use them on lighter models these days.

Is that Tiger Moth flying yet?

-Den
                      There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Hey Den, My wife's Tiger Moth was maidened last week and now has several flights on it. She's very happy with it. It flys very scale like at 1/2 throttle. It has under-cambered wings, so crosswinds aren't fun.

Comment

• While I await the new 5” Sullivan Skylite Wheels, I thought I’d make progress with completing the fuel tank plumbing and installing the ignition module for the UMS 5 75.

Once the fuel tank was in and the ignition model installed, I thought what the heck, why not fire her up and see how she rolls?

After securing the model, wetting the carb diaphragm and applying the choke, a couple flips of the prop saw fuel making its way through the line to the carb. Once the ignition was powered, two flips and there was a pop but nothing more. A quick call to Adrian at CH Ignitions and the issue was resolved. I had the plug wiring all wrong.

With the wiring issue addressed within two, maybe three flips, and she, the UMS 5 75, came ALIVE.

I am a HAPPY man today. Short first run video below.

DaleD

Comment

• DaleD That is one sweet sounding Gilmore! Full throttle pylon turns will be something to hear and watch.

Comment

• DaleD What size prop are you running on that UMS-5 75cc?

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
                                DaleD What size prop are you running on that UMS-5 75cc?
                                The prop is a Xoar 24x10.

DaleD

Comment

• Anyone mount a Saito 90 with the Keleo ring? Looks like I may need to tear out a lot of the motor box to get it to fit, unless I'm missing something here.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                                    Anyone mount a Saito 90 with the Keleo ring? Looks like I may need to tear out a lot of the motor box to get it to fit, unless I'm missing something here.

Thanks.
                                    I am not using an exhaust ring but i do have a Saito FG90 R3 mounted up. Yes i did have to take a chunk of the motor box / mount out for the carb to fit into the fuse. Just use the template that is included with the FG90 and you'll have no issues.

Comment

• That part I got, no problem, but unless you use a larger standoff, the keleo ring wont fit over the motor box, so I think some of the motor box has to get taken out. With the Saito engine you can't get longer bolts in because of the engine design. The cylinder heads block the bolt holes. Anyone have a work around?

Comment

• The last build episode is up! Enjoy! This episode shows how I mounted the ESC and applied some graphics. (thanks Twowingtj for the nod to Callie!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	321377Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	321378Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	321379Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	321380Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	321381Click image for larger version

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	321382Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	321383

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                                          That part I got, no problem, but unless you use a larger standoff, the keleo ring wont fit over the motor box, so I think some of the motor box has to get taken out. With the Saito engine you can't get longer bolts in because of the engine design. The cylinder heads block the bolt holes. Anyone have a work around?
                                          You can use longer bolts, but you have to take the mounting plate of the engine in order to get the longer bolts into place.

Comment

Working...
                                          X