Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost lost mine today. She tipped stalled on final turn. rolled over into a death spin. I was about 100 feet up thankfully. I full throttled it and pulled back. Some how it missed the trees and pulled out. I was able to land and dont see any issues other that it must have been to slow. It didnt look slow. I had a runcam 4k on board but like always it didnt work again so no sweet video of the save. Run cam went to the trash can where it belongs.
    EDIT. I 100% believe it was too slow. I was at 1/4 throttle with full flaps and gear down. It must have been just not enough speed. Thankful I got it home and didnt hit any trees or homes or cars. Still unsure how I did not hit anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MeyerVW View Post
      Almost lost mine today. She tipped stalled on final turn. rolled over into a death spin. I was about 100 feet up thankfully. I full throttled it and pulled back. Some how it missed the trees and pulled out. I was able to land and dont see any issues other that it must have been to slow. It didnt look slow. I had a runcam 4k on board but like always it didnt work again so no sweet video of the save. Run cam went to the trash can where it belongs.
      EDIT. I 100% believe it was too slow. I was at 1/4 throttle with full flaps and gear down. It must have been just not enough speed. Thankful I got it home and didnt hit any trees or homes or cars. Still unsure how I did not hit anything.
      That happened to me on my first ones maiden. It kept climbing so I cut throttle and tried to land on a runway most don’t use. Tip stalled it. Not sure why it climbed on its first flight. Tried to trim it out and I’m anal about making sure it’s set up properly based on directions and recommendations here and on rcgroups. Did rebuild it and have flown it since but do keep the speed up in turns.

Comment

• Maidened mine yesterday. Four excellent flights. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3096.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	361398Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3098.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	361399

Comment

• Has anyone 3D printed a cockpit kit for the OV 10 and made it available?

Comment

• The stl files are posted earlier in this thread.

Comment

• Just built this model and was wondering if anyone flys it on a single 8000 pack? 2 4000's are 772gr, and I have some 8000's that come in at 803gr. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atesvn View Post
                Just built this model and was wondering if anyone flys it on a single 8000 pack? 2 4000's are 772gr, and I have some 8000's that come in at 803gr. Any thoughts?
                I haven't but ..................... If it'll fit, it'll fly. It can easily handle 803g. You are prepared to make the necessary adapter to bring the 2 leads together, right?

Comment

• Thanks XViper, On the parallel setup, I custom made an XT 90 to parallel XT60 adapter, 2" long and 30gr. So it will be 833gr in total.

Comment

• My 810g twin packs are all the way forward, so there is still some room to move a heavier single pack further aft if need be.

Comment

• 3 more amazing flights! This is becoming my favorite R/C airplane! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3165.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	362336Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3152.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	362337Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	362338Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3167.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	362339Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3136.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	362340

Comment

• I'm new to this group having just bought a Flightline OV-10 Bronco on sale. Can't wait for it to land on my doorstep.

Planning ahead, I have a Spektrum NX8 transmitter and thinking of using a Spektrum AR8360T receiver in the Bronco. Going to also use a SRXL 2 DSMX remote receiver for signal diversity. Any experience or comments for this combination (pls no slurs about Spektrum)?

Having read through the posts here, I understand that it is advisable to use a Y parallel cable for a single battery connection and a Y parallel cable to connect the two ESCs. Right?

Horizon Hobby is out of stock of Spektrum 4S 4000mAh batteries (not expected now until February). So another question: Do I wait for 4S 4000mAH batteries? Or buy 4S 3300mAh which are in stock now? I know their are other brands, but I'm sold on Spektrum batteries.

Is there anything else I need to do, other than add some magnets to hold the canopy in place? And any essentials I need to do or buy (like spare parts) before I start the build up and maiden. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Comment

• Welcome to the forum, you bought a wonderful airplane.

Spektrum works. So do other systems.

..."advisable to use a Y parallel cable for a single battery connection and a Y parallel cable to connect the two ESCs. Right?". I'm sure someone has said to Y the two batteries but I'm also sure the vast majority set it up as it comes out of the box, not Y'd. I don't have any of my models, Bronco included, Y'd. Yes to Y'ing the ESC signal wires.

This can use so many different batteries. I am not a fan of the Admiral batteries, I feel there are much better batteries for less money. I am even less of a fan for Spektrum batteries.

Why add extra magnets? The issue with the canopy is the fuselage flexes and the latch becomes unlatched. See my fix for the latch.

Again, welcome.

Click image for larger version Name: mastera.jpg Views: 63 Size: 63.1 KB ID: 247934 (filedata/fetch?id=247934&d=1586533759) https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nco-1400mm-pnp (https://www.motionrc.com/collections/coming-soon-rc-airplanes/products/flightline-ov-10-bronco-1400mm-pnp) The OV-10 Bronco is an

Click image for larger version Name: mastera.jpg Views: 63 Size: 63.1 KB ID: 247934 (filedata/fetch?id=247934&d=1586533759) https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nco-1400mm-pnp (https://www.motionrc.com/collections/coming-soon-rc-airplanes/products/flightline-ov-10-bronco-1400mm-pnp) The OV-10 Bronco is an

Click image for larger version  Name:	latch mod.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.5 KB ID:	365926

Comment

• Originally posted by craig.gavin@icloud.com View Post
                            I'm new to this group having just bought a Flightline OV-10 Bronco on sale. Can't wait for it to land on my doorstep.

Planning ahead, I have a Spektrum NX8 transmitter and thinking of using a Spektrum AR8360T receiver in the Bronco. Going to also use a SRXL 2 DSMX remote receiver for signal diversity. Any experience or comments for this combination (pls no slurs about Spektrum)?

Having read through the posts here, I understand that it is advisable to use a Y parallel cable for a single battery connection and a Y parallel cable to connect the two ESCs. Right?

Horizon Hobby is out of stock of Spektrum 4S 4000mAh batteries (not expected now until February). So another question: Do I wait for 4S 4000mAH batteries? Or buy 4S 3300mAh which are in stock now? I know their are other brands, but I'm sold on Spektrum batteries.

Is there anything else I need to do, other than add some magnets to hold the canopy in place? And any essentials I need to do or buy (like spare parts) before I start the build up and maiden. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
                            I think you may have read too much into what's been posted here. To address your points, here is my take on it.

I'm a Spektrum user myself, so no slurs from me. If you haven't gotten the 8360 yet, you might reconsider. A more basic one like the AR631, with a single long antenna is plenty good. Even if you stick with the 8-ch one, a standard remote RX is more than sufficient. A SRXL2 is unnecessary but of course, that's your choice.

I still hook up 2 batteries separately and it's been working just fine for years. I don't know why it's "advisable" to Y it together so you can use one battery, but again, your choice.

My canopy has never even come close to coming off. It's always fit very snugly and never shifted but I guess if you tend to have bumpy landings, that's another story.

My only complaint from the very beginning was I felt the plane was a bit underpowered. I like mine to be able to do a big loop from a level pass and the stock one just can't make it all the way up and over. I've beefed up the motors, ESCs and props to give it much more go power. You may find it just fine in stock configuration.

The paint seems to a bit tender when it comes to hanger rash and daily use. I would consider sealing it all with something like MinWax, at least one coat.

Comment

• Thanks Evan D for the mod to the canopy latch. You can bet I'll take that advice. Also, thanks xviper for your comments. If I understood the Y cable issue was that the combination of Y cable on the battery and on the ESC was that it prevented a dead battery causing a engine failure or no power to the BEC. This will be my first venture into twin engine plane. And the thought of losing a engine in flight would be a major failure that would ruin your day and probably the loss of a plane. Like I said, that post got my attention. So, being that the plane as delivered from the factory is somewhat under powered, would you recommend not using 4S 3300mAh batteries rather than the suggested 4s 4000mAh batteries?

Comment

• I've never had a motor out with an electric twin. Both ESC BECs supply power to the radio in this. Added together it's just not something I worry about. If it is something you do worry about making a H harness to wire the batteries together would be good peace of mind.

The stock power is very easy on batteries and you can get long flights off a pair of 3300-3500.

I saw one fly before I built mine and I like "extra" power. When I built mine I put in a system that pulls 3X the power as stock. I also programmed in crow, very high flap travel, rudder airbrakes and differential throttle. It does some crazy stuff. I also repainted it and put in a digital FPV set up... It's a great great plane.

https://youtu.be/eRDArATnri0

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	365950Click image for larger version

Name:	markings 3.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	365951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	365952

Comment

• Originally posted by craig.gavin@icloud.com View Post
                                  Thanks Evan D for the mod to the canopy latch. You can bet I'll take that advice. Also, thanks xviper for your comments. If I understood the Y cable issue was that the combination of Y cable on the battery and on the ESC was that it prevented a dead battery causing a engine failure or no power to the BEC. This will be my first venture into twin engine plane. And the thought of losing a engine in flight would be a major failure that would ruin your day and probably the loss of a plane. Like I said, that post got my attention. So, being that the plane as delivered from the factory is somewhat under powered, would you recommend not using 4S 3300mAh batteries rather than the suggested 4s 4000mAh batteries?
                                  I've never had an incident nor have I really worried about losing an engine. Going to a bigger mah battery isn't going to address the under-powered situation. All that does it to give you a bit more flying time. Also, every brand of battery will perform differently, weigh differently and pump out the juice differently. Just comparing mah isn't going to reveal much. You say you are a fan of Spektrum batteries and that is your right to be as such. In my mind and from real world testing, Spektrum batteries don't measure up very well compared to other brands of much cheaper products. They test poorly and put out far, far less than their stated "C" ratings and tend to be priced very high. Certainly, you get all the "smart" stuff with them if you buy that series of batteries, but a lot of those features (telemetry, smart charging/discharging) become unimportant as time goes by and in some cases, are unreliable.

Of all my prop planes, single or multi, the OV-10 is right at the top of my faves.

Comment

• Hi guys,

I would like to share my complete re-do of the Freewing OV-10 finally. It is a conversion to a OV-10D. Nose is carved and shaped out of construction foam with consecutive sanding/filling/sanding. 3d priting of cockpit and „disco light“ with the files mentioned earlier in this thread, as well as the pilots from realmodelpilots/uk.

I would like to thank all of you for advice and inspiration i.e. regarding the holographic rainbow foil for the IR jammer or FLIR.

Had fun building it, having fun looking at and flying it, going to have fun in spring!

Take care,

Axel

Click image for larger version  Name:	9761A00C-0E8E-4004-A109-1374DC7C9E71.jpg Views:	5 Size:	369.2 KB ID:	367127Click image for larger version  Name:	6CA2E232-97D2-4186-976C-48B5EE9E73FD.jpg Views:	5 Size:	308.6 KB ID:	367125Click image for larger version  Name:	453BF5D8-D350-4D36-B880-493AFD40E52C.jpg Views:	5 Size:	350.3 KB ID:	367126Click image for larger version  Name:	21B59467-9324-462B-80CC-4974C121C0A5.jpg Views:	5 Size:	224.8 KB ID:	367124

Comment

• Today I've taken delivery of a used ov10. I am planning to build it to do fpv. Looking forward to getting her setup for flight

Comment

• And as per my norm for dual seats, I'll have dual fpv units in this one too

Comment

• I bought the exhaust print made for the 1800mm version of the OV10, scaled it down and glued it on, I think I like the looks of it better than the original foam molding.

Comment

Working...
                                          X