Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No issue on compatability at all. Only heard one person having issues with one system, I think it was Jeti and had so

Comment

• I've used Spektrum receivers as well as Lemons. I have always used an A3L gyro in my Bearcats and have had great success with them.
      As a general rule, Spektrum receivers have been more difficult to bind, but I've found that dropping the throttle trim right down makes it easier. Lemons bind with no difficulty and I've been using them for years. I use an Amazon Visa and let the points build then get my receivers on line for free. Usually go with the ten channel rx from RC Juice.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Got it today and pretty much assembled. Not real crazy about the blue box , seems like it takes up room where there isn’t much. I put in a Spektrum rx and will need to reverse the ailerons and elevator. But must do that in the rx program not the tx. I’m sure you’re up on that. Everything else is functioning as it should.

The battery strap is too short to go around my 3600 4s Admiral 40c, so will need to work out a fix for that.

First impression is good. Fit&Finish is nice….seems like good quality.

I was expecting the different sets of decals but its fully decaled. The instructions were so-so ….not much detail on the blue box hook up.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I’m sure I’ll be back here with more questions.

Comment

• Ah the famed blue box, the online manual which I rewrote should describe the hookups, but just in case, I have the diagram here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	flight control board.PNG Views:	0 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	355790

I have the blue box, the A3L and the receiver nicely tucked in just aft of the hatch: Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9458.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	355791
          The gyro is on the left of the pic the blue box is on the right and the receiver is on the top.
          You say the plane already had decals applied?? Never heard that one before and I personally have had three kits.
          ​​​​​​​Sniff Sniff, I smell a returned kit...
          BTW, the last kit I bought had that short battery strap, I emailed Alpha about it. I happened to have a longer strap from another kit and used that, its a PITA when things like that happens.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• I got the blue box figured out…did search and found a pilot Ryan video that ‘splained it pretty well. Would have liked to have had your text also, but wasn’t in the box.

The instructions were more like for an ARF and parts that weren’t used with glue. It may have been a return kit…hope not.

For the short battery strap, my fix was to notch the plywood tray towards the center and that gave enough length for all my 4s battery packs. I’ll get a picture posted tomorrow. Used a little hot melt to secure the strap position.

After getting into the receiver install, I changed course and will go with Futaba and a Hobbyeagle A3 super v2 programmable. I like attitude hold feature and programming from a pc.

Comment

• Here’s pics of the battery tray, parts that came with it, and the decals that were on it as received.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9A31C72-D38F-4E61-827C-A463C9BF858F.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	355808Click image for larger version

Name:	D9416C5E-5A43-4CA0-9291-60B4001A124F.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	355809Click image for larger version

Name:	A321357F-B3DC-4A62-A9ED-FDC24DA6257B.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	355810

Comment

• That's not right. Shouldn't of had the decals on it. The extra hinges are normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  That's not right. Shouldn't of had the decals on it. The extra hinges are normal.
                  I just checked and the Motion RC description says, NEW! Decal set comes pre applied. So, this is the new normal, I guess.

Comment

• Interesting as I liked the Blue Angels scheme that they included before.

Comment

• Well, it’s been a bit of a challenge for me to get this put together but bench tests are all correct so, I’m confident…sort of.

I went with HOBBYEAGLE A3Super3 programmable and really like PC system for setting flight modes, gains, and calibration of level. I’ve got three modes; gyro off, normal gyro, and auto level.

I’m using a Futaba 8 channel receiver. I added plywood deck to support the gyro and receiver. The blue box is on the left side of fuselage in the photo.

Expect to get maiden flight Monday or Tuesday.

Name:	6B643985-8528-4D38-9D43-260F3B180803.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	356533

Comment

• Looks great! I would advise putting some coats of Spar Varathane water base on it as it has some UV protectant. I usually apply 4 to 6 coats with a brush. Gives it a great shine as well.

Name:	IMG_5651.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	356535Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_095850.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	356536

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Good idea on the finish. Right now it has a very flat mat finish and is prone to getting the smallest abrasions on it. And it's a good rainy day to do that. Maybe have a beverage. 🙂

Comment

• This is what you have now....
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.6 KB ID:	356545

And this is the same airplane after several coats of Minwax...
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8941.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	356546

It takes several coats applied with a soft brush of foam brush applying in the same direction. I applied one, then used a hair dryer on it, then applied another, then let it set overnight, repeating this until the streaks were gone.
                            This is my preferred product but its becoming hard to find for some reason.
                            Just makes sure its water based and gloss with UV protectant.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	027426359055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	356547
                            Where it says Clear Satin, look for clear gloss, the only pic I could find.
                            My rule of thumb is: For glossiest finish, use a brush, for flatest finish, use an air gun.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Did you sand between coats? Looks great!

Comment

• No sanding on these, but I have sanded after a few coats on other airplanes to eliminate the gatoring.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• I put 3 coats of urethane on and that really helped the drab mat look. Even the decals look better. I used what I could find here locally - a MinWax spray and pretty happy with the results. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220911_142132.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	356695Click image for larger version

Name:	20220911_142205.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	356696 Checked the cg and looks right on with 3600maH 4S all the way forward..Click image for larger version

Name:	20220911_140447.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	356697So with a couple of batteries charged we're off in the morning to do a maiden. I'll start with the Eflite T28 1100mm to get the thumbs loosened up.

Comment

• What's that you're using to check the CG?

Comment

• It's a couple of dowels that attached to base...they're about 12-14" long with felt pads on the ends to protect the wing. Pretty easy to gin up.

Comment

• Looks good! I run a 650 KV with a FMS 1400mm Corsair prop on the Blue Angels Bearcat.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5302.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.4 KB ID:	356794
                                        I had to put a tab of stick on weight for the CG
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5311.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.2 KB ID:	356795
                                        So I hollowed out a square and fit it in, I usually run the battery back a bit but the CG is pretty forgiving.
                                        On this one, I use Dave Brown tires, I love those I swear you can hear them suck onto the runway.
                                        With the other Bearcat, used a 780kv with the stock prop and didn't have to use any tail weight.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5650.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.0 KB ID:	356796 Performance wise, they are, at least to the eye, identical.
                                        One thing I've noticed with both is the tailwheel likes to jump and I'm thinking of a Dave Brown tailwheel to save my prop tips. You have to taxi very carefully at our field as the runway surface is not the best to say the least.
                                        Still waiting on a 1600 mm Bearcat.....

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Update on the maiden yesterday. Had two good flights - really like how this stays straight and with just a touch of right rudder, takes off at half throttle or a bit more. My club has a nice geo-tec field about 600 feet long (?) or there abouts.

On the second landing I forgot to use flaps, came too fast and got a bounce. Left landing gear came out. Looking at that gear there was less than 50% glue adhesion in that gear pocket and on the gear. Put it back with a liberal amount of hot melt glue. It did cause a small crack on the top of the wing.

First time using the HobbyEagle A3Super 3 and liked that system a lot. Need to get more familiar with it.

All in all, it went well - repairs made, and ready to go again maybe Thursday. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                          X