X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    It's actually an easy flying airplane. With stock power, it's not bad, but I just enjoy watching her buzz around the pattern. She rolls fine and will do a loop when coaxed into it. With the power system I had in it it was a lot stronger of a performer, but having something go wrong centered around the prop/ motor area, I'm wondering if the prop let loose. It was pretty hard to tell as she failed at about fifty feet in the air and then hit the ground. Charlie Brown ran LX B 25 props on his if I recall correctly and that may be the way to go. In the meantime, I'll run stock and apply some Foam-Tac to the screws that hold the props on once I'm ready to 'permanently' mount the props.
    Besides, when I want to go full on aerobatics, I have a number of other airplanes that do it better so what the heck!
    Just nice to have her in the hangar again. Grumman is well represented with two Bearcats and the Tigercat.

Grossman56
    Looking Great, Dan!!

Comment

• Greetings all. I have just purchased an F7F from a club member and there is a minor issue (we knew about it before sale). The left main has a ton of slop, as in about 45 degrees of movement. Understand that I have very little mechanical abilities so thus the question. I have briefly looked over the gear and cannot find an adjustment screw or grub screw on the gear. Is there one that is hidden around where the actual retract mechanism is and I just can't see it? Thanks for any help provided!

Comment

• Retract movement or pivoting toe in and toe out?
        There is a small set screw in the side of the silver arm of the Click image for larger version  Name:	retract.png Views:	0 Size:	239.5 KB ID:	374961

retract. See it just below the hole for the gear to fit in. If I recall there should be one on both sides, there are set screws in them, try tightening them.
        (Line the gear up in the right direction first!) If its slop like it's half retracted, then check to see if the 'claw' is wrapped around the silver bar, there's a 'window' that runs the length of the retract head, the screw on the left in the picture is pointed right at it. If it's jumped that bar, disassemble the retract and put the claw back on the bar.

Hope this helps.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56, thank you for the info. The issue is the gear swiveling causing an issue with tow in/out. The picture you posted is exactly what I was hoping to see. I really appreciate the help. Cant wait to get her in the air.

Comment

• Good to hear! As a word of caution, watch your flap/elevator settings. At Half flaps I found I needed no mix. When going for the first landing, I applied full flaps and used elevator trim to determine how much elevator down I needed, landed and put a mark on the tail that lined up with the elevator, then zeroed the trim and went into the mix folder and applied enough down elevator to match what I had marked. She's a really great airplane, just watch those prop screws!! Once you have everything done behind the props that you want, put some FoamTac on the screw and do not over tighten them!! Snug is the way to go. That was one of the possible causes for my incident.

Good luck!!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Good to hear! As a word of caution, watch your flap/elevator settings. At Half flaps I found I needed no mix. When going for the first landing, I applied full flaps and used elevator trim to determine how much elevator down I needed, landed and put a mark on the tail that lined up with the elevator, then zeroed the trim and went into the mix folder and applied enough down elevator to match what I had marked. She's a really great airplane, just watch those prop screws!! Once you have everything done behind the props that you want, put some FoamTac on the screw and do not over tighten them!! Snug is the way to go. That was one of the possible causes for my incident.

Good luck!!

Grossman56
              More great info. Thanks again. I really appreciate it. I'm only about a year in with most of my planes being warbirds and have really wanted this plane for a while.

Comment

• Let me know how you make out

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Let me know how you make out

Grossman56
                  Absolutely. Hoping for.next weekend

Comment

• Had the Grumman fleet out for pics this morning before loading the Bearcats up to take to the field.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230423_092601.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	376092

Name:	20230423_092538.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	376095

Bearcat, Tigercat, Bearcat and Kittycat!!

Name:	20230423_092818.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	376094

Bearcat III

Name:	20230423_092831.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	376093

Bearcat I

Hard to believe that two of them spent some time in the junk box.

It can be done!!

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

• They all look great. I bet they fly better after you rebuilt them too. Rex

Comment

• The Commemorative Air Force Bearcat certainly does, she sat in the junk box since 2018 and first flew again in 2022. The Tigercat went in almost 2 years ago and hasn't seen air time yet, a couple of things to check out first, but I'm in no rush. The Blue Angels Bearcat is now about 2 years old and has never suffered so much as a scratch (touch wood)

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Had the Grumman fleet out for pics this morning before loading the Bearcats up to take to the field.

Name:	20230423_092601.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	376092

Name:	20230423_092538.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	376095

Bearcat, Tigercat, Bearcat and Kittycat!!

Name:	20230423_092818.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	376094

Bearcat III

Name:	20230423_092831.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	376093

Bearcat I

Hard to believe that two of them spent some time in the junk box.

It can be done!!

Grossman56
                          Kudos, Dan! They look marvelous!!

Davegee

Comment

• I'm seriously thinking about building the nexa with the 38cc engine

Comment

• A successful re maiden this morning!
                              Two flights on La Patrona, all went well, a couple of clicks of trim and nothing out of the ordinary.
                              Such a great bird, so great to have her back after almost two years. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230430_095511.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	376511Click image for larger version

Name:	20230430_095520.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	376512 The pics are shortly after the second flight. Funny the things you forget about, like having to trim a bit of the bottom of the battery hatch to fit the 3600 4s's in.
                              All is well in Wyoming again!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56,
                                Great to see she got some air under her legs. Congratulations 🍾
                                ​​​​​​ Best Regards, Rex

Comment

A successful re maiden this morning!
                                  Two flights on La Patrona, all went well, a couple of clicks of trim and nothing out of the ordinary.
                                  Such a great bird, so great to have her back after almost two years. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230430_095511.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	376511Click image for larger version

Name:	20230430_095520.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	376512 The pics are shortly after the second flight. Funny the things you forget about, like having to trim a bit of the bottom of the battery hatch to fit the 3600 4s's in.
                                  All is well in Wyoming again!

Grossman56
                                  Good job, Dan! Way to stick with a project to a successful completion, especially after the mishap two years ago. Looks great!

Davegee

Comment

• Hi guys, maiden flight of my Tigercat was a great success, she flys great, I have a small problem and need your help, I calibrated the motors, well I think I did, they Both power up evenly and the plane flys straight. but.... when I go for take off and slowly open the throttle there is a "flat" spot low down on the throttle, the motors start to run and then no increase in power until I'm about 40% throttle and then it suddenly all comes in and the plane jumps off down the strip!! Have I done something wrong while trying to calbrate the motors? Any help would be appreciated, I have Spektrum radio

yellowed

Comment

• Odd, both motors the same? Could it be in your transmitter? On the monitor screen does it advance like it should? Can you bind it to another plane to at least see if it’s on the tx or RX side?

Comment

• Tigercat Thursday Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	377656
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                          Odd, both motors the same? Could it be in your transmitter? On the monitor screen does it advance like it should? Can you bind it to another plane to at least see if it’s on the tx or RX side?
                                          Yes both motors are stock, everything is ok on all my other planes, looks ok on the monitor screen too?
                                          The only thing I can think of is that I have bridged the power wires so the each Esc and motor are connected to Both liops

Comment

Working...
                                          X