Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My MRC care package arrived today, with my replacement props. I've rebonded the gear well back into the wing and have installed a balanced prop. If the rain holds off long enough tomorrow, I'll try to get her back in the air after work. This whole work thing really gets in the way sometimes... :-/
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

• I'm really torn about the landing gear. I can't decide whether to rip them out now and reglue them or fly and hope they don't fail. Has anyone flown much and not had a failure?

Comment

• I've only got about a dozen or so landings on mine and haven't had them come loose or had to re-glue them yet. I currently fly off of fabric runway.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
          I'm really torn about the landing gear. I can't decide whether to rip them out now and reglue them or fly and hope they don't fail. Has anyone flown much and not had a failure?
          Just give them a good tug and if they don't come loose you're good to go.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I'm really torn about the landing gear. I can't decide whether to rip them out now and reglue them or fly and hope they don't fail. Has anyone flown much and not had a failure?
            I understand your :Angry: As i post earlier the manufacturer had to put a piece of plactic between the 2 halves of the wing (upper and lower) and attach the gear with screws to it. Last week i was intend to inject with a needle
            ultra thin foam safe CA under the plate. No i will put long nylon screws with glue to make it stronger ( i hope) I don't want to lose the gears on my maiden.

Comment

• ;)What Tired Iron said, tug the landing gear and if they don't budge fly on.
              ive flown lots off grass, pavement and fabric and had no problems. I've had mine longer to.;)

Comment

It's NOT an FMS, you know. :Silly: Very few (maybe 1) of my Freewing planes have issues with landing gear. However, ALL of my FMS planes have.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                  It's NOT an FMS, you know. :Silly: Very few (maybe 1) of my Freewing planes have issues with landing gear. However, ALL of my FMS planes have.
                  I've been flying my FMS P-51B off our grass field many times with no gear problems yet. If the FL Spit is as strong as the Mustang it will be OK.

Comment

• You need to talk to Scamp73. Ive flown off his club field and the grass is evtremely THICK. He has had alot of flights off of his field with no trouble at all and believe me if there was a problem with the retacts that field would take them out. My field has thinner grass but is very rough and runs at a slant and i have missjudged the slop several times and almost flipped the plane and there still solid. Right now from what im starting to read im getting a strong since of paranoia. Any foam plane can have a chance for the retracts to pull out so thats just the way of foam. Ive even had failures with retracts on balsa and they were screwed in and maintained. Nobody lands perfect all the time either. Just like Ryan said give them a tug and if they stay solid fly. If you bounce more than you gease landings or are a beginner at foam planes then get more practice. Your going to be fixing landing gear in more ways than just pulling out Just a word of advice..
                    Dewey l

Comment

• Sorry TI you were the one that said tug on them. Sorry man didn't mean to put your words in someone else's mouth. You to Ryan sorry.
                      Dewey l

Comment

• Does the manual have paint match numbers available?

Comment

• radford

go with the tree house studios flat matte clear acrylic spray from hobby lobby.. i have used it and also the high gloss clear to great results and love the finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketRobin View Post
                            Does the manual have paint match numbers available?
                            It's not in the manual. I think Mixdup has the numbers from when he went and got his parts scanned for paint matching though.

Comment

• Even though a lot of you are not having problems with the retracts pulling out, if you look at the photos that Aros and I posted, it is pretty dang obvious that the couple of lines of glue (actually looks like hot glue to me), that hold the gear box in the wing, is insubstantial.

I reglued my gear boxes back into the plane (Foam Tac) and made 5 take offs and landings after work today. The grass was a bit too high. One nose over (the approach and touch down were fine), and one set down a bit harder that I would've liked, but the gear held solidly in place. I love how easy the Spit is to make a great scale take off and climb out. And she's such a beautiful plane in the air.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5451.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	90981
                              ---
                              Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Wesnc View Post
                                Grey Nurse is progressing well, the finishing on this model is exceptional, beautiful hinging! Thanks again Flightlinerc!!!!
                                Cool, can't wait to see the finished product. I was thinking about doing the same scheme, but after seeing todds think I'll just stick with the invasion stripes. Decisions... lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	90984

Comment

• Howdy Spitifre pilots. #1, Something I found with mine, it must have gotten hit in transit. The propeller collet adapter the spinner goes over. I had a small dent on the threads, so while I was placing the spinner over the threads. I noticed it was difficult to slide it over the tip. I got out my spectacles and found the photo on this thread. The tip was dented aluminum threads, so with a drammel tool. I was able to carefully repair the tip. #2 This is ONE "Awesome airplane. I spoke about this years ago, wishing they would make one. Well, here it is, they did a fantastic job as well. It's a beautiful thing!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    Well Oxotnik, I was a casualty of that. I went to cycle my gear and the one I epoxied was glued open and would not cycle. DOH!!! :Loser:

So I spent the flight with the gear down/dirty to practice more landings. Not looking forward to trying to get it working again after my epoxy douche job. :Dizzy:

Holy Cow Ace! That area you fly at is crowded with lights, dumpsters, tree's. I would have way too much going on in my brain to land like that. I'd say, you have some great skill if you had an open area. You could be dangerous. (in a good way) Roger that, good landing. Matt (Rock--n-Roll) Hero! ;)

Comment

• Thanks Matt...My buddy and I always say it's either making us better pilots or just really STUPID pilots...We both agree it's the latter. LOL
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
                                        You need to talk to Scamp73. Ive flown off his club field and the grass is evtremely THICK. He has had alot of flights off of his field with no trouble at all and believe me if there was a problem with the retacts that field would take them out. My field has thinner grass but is very rough and runs at a slant and i have missjudged the slop several times and almost flipped the plane and there still solid. Right now from what im starting to read im getting a strong since of paranoia. Any foam plane can have a chance for the retracts to pull out so thats just the way of foam. Ive even had failures with retracts on balsa and they were screwed in and maintained. Nobody lands perfect all the time either. Just like Ryan said give them a tug and if they stay solid fly. If you bounce more than you gease landings or are a beginner at foam planes then get more practice. Your going to be fixing landing gear in more ways than just pulling out Just a word of advice..
                                        I have close to 30 flights on mine on grass and have had no issues at all with the gear or anything else for that matter.

Comment

• What is the flying weight of this plane. MRC shows 100.5 oz as the flying weight using, I assume, the 22.5 oz Admiral 4500 6S battery. My battery weighs 26 oz and with the plane the total is 126 oz. How did I get a pound and a half heavier by adding 4 oz?

Comment

Working...
                                          X