Official FMS 1400mm P-51D V8 Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Grossman56
    Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

    • Jun 2014
    • 7378
    • Cody, Wyoming
    • Send PM

    #1201
    Originally posted by possum
    Hi,
    I am new to this. I have the FMS 1400 P51 and would like some advise on how to get a bit more speed out of it. It seems a bit sluggish to me.
    Thanks Possum.
    Xviper is right. I have all my Mustangs (2xFMS and 2xFreewing)running on the 650 kv with an 85A mantis ESC and they perform great I also did the zip tie mod on the prop which will give it a bit more pitch which helps as well. In case you don't know. you cut a zip tie and put the piece behind the prop blade at the front of the blade to increase the pitch when you tighten the blade back down on the spinner. You don't have to use a very thick zip tie, I used the thinnest ones I had laying around just to see and it worked out fine.

    Grossman56
    Team Gross!

    Comment

    • JamesonC
      MRC fanboy

      • Feb 2017
      • 619
      • Laurens, SC
      • Send PM

      #1202
      I converted mine to 6s with the 550kv Olympus motor.

      Stock speed - 67mph
      Current setup - 93mph

      Much more like it!

      Comment

      • handyman220
        Member

        • Jan 2016
        • 160
        • Send PM

        #1203
        Way late to the party here, but I have a couple of the FMS V8 Mustangs both B & D versions. I'll have lots of reading to do before assembling mine. Glad I bought them while they were available. :Whew:

        Comment

        • Grossman56
          Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

          • Jun 2014
          • 7378
          • Cody, Wyoming
          • Send PM

          #1204
          Great airplanes! I have both as well and have been flying them for going on 4 years
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_25735.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	204984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4302.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	204985

          Grossman56
          Team Gross!

          Comment

          • handyman220
            Member

            • Jan 2016
            • 160
            • Send PM

            #1205
            Originally posted by Grossman56
            Great airplanes! I have both as well and have been flying them for going on 4 years
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_25735.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	204984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4302.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	204985

            Grossman56
            I hope mine are still flying after 4 years. I have Snoops Sniper, Dallas Darling, & Big Beautiful Doll. Bought a couple spare props, spinners and retracts along with the aluminum spinner back plate. Should be good for a while I think/hope!

            Comment

            • Flyboy69bond
              Member

              • Jul 2019
              • 3
              • Send PM

              #1206
              Anyone having problems with lights on Freezing P-51 Old Crow Mustang? Can't make mine work either using the year sequencer or direct to receiver using Aux channel. Tried a second new lighting module, still no luck. Wired per I installation video from Motion RC. Need help

              Comment

              • xviper
                Hobby Squawk Regular

                • Jan 2014
                • 8804
                • Calgary, Canada
                • Send PM

                #1207
                Originally posted by Flyboy69bond
                Anyone having problems with lights on Freezing P-51 Old Crow Mustang? Can't make mine work either using the year sequencer or direct to receiver using Aux channel. Tried a second new lighting module, still no luck. Wired per I installation video from Motion RC. Need help
                Did they ever work? Some of these LED lights don't work well if hooked up directly to a RX or to a servo tester. Too much juice. If you did that first, they may have burnt out right away. Also, if you hook them up with the wrong polarity, they can burn out without showing any light. Then, if you put them on a light module, they may already be burnt out.

                Comment

                • xviper
                  Hobby Squawk Regular

                  • Jan 2014
                  • 8804
                  • Calgary, Canada
                  • Send PM

                  #1208
                  My BBD is also 4 years old and still flying really well. In this video, the plane was about a year old and had just gotten the higher kv motor transplant. It currently runs the 6 cell drivetrain from the P-47.

                  Comment

                  • Grossman56
                    Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

                    • Jun 2014
                    • 7378
                    • Cody, Wyoming
                    • Send PM

                    #1209
                    Originally posted by handyman220

                    I hope mine are still flying after 4 years. I have Snoops Sniper, Dallas Darling, & Big Beautiful Doll. Bought a couple spare props, spinners and retracts along with the aluminum spinner back plate. Should be good for a while I think/hope!
                    Check into the aluminum retract sides from Smallparts CNC. They're awesome.

                    http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193


                    You'll break a wing before a retract side

                    Also, I replaced the aileron and elevator servos with metal geared servos.

                    My P-51B lawn darted earlier this season, but I rebuilt her and she's flying again. From this...

                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4308.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	205084

                    Back to this Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4371.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	205085

                    Yep, it can be done!!

                    Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

                    Comment

                    • Flyboy69bond
                      Member

                      • Jul 2019
                      • 3
                      • Send PM

                      #1210
                      Followed all instructions to hook up. New plane. Did not try anything out of normal until no results. Wing lights and landing lights not working.

                      Comment

                      • xviper
                        Hobby Squawk Regular

                        • Jan 2014
                        • 8804
                        • Calgary, Canada
                        • Send PM

                        #1211
                        Originally posted by Flyboy69bond
                        Followed all instructions to hook up. New plane. Did not try anything out of normal until no results. Wing lights and landing lights not working.
                        The only thing I can think of is the polarity of the LED plugs. If those were inserted correctly (red wire to positive, other wire to neg.), then I can't see anything wrong unless the LEDs are duds but they can't ALL be duds. Do AIL, gear and flaps work like they're supposed to? One of those supplies power to the lights through that white box.

                        Comment

                        • Flyboy69bond
                          Member

                          • Jul 2019
                          • 3
                          • Send PM

                          #1212
                          Everything cycles correctly but lights. Got me stomped

                          Comment

                          • handyman220
                            Member

                            • Jan 2016
                            • 160
                            • Send PM

                            #1213
                            Originally posted by Grossman56

                            Check into the aluminum retract sides from Smallparts CNC. They're awesome.

                            http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193


                            You'll break a wing before a retract side

                            Also, I replaced the aileron and elevator servos with metal geared servos.

                            My P-51B lawn darted earlier this season, but I rebuilt her and she's flying again. From this...

                            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4308.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	205084

                            Back to this Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4371.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	205085

                            Yep, it can be done!!

                            Grossman56
                            Very nice repair job. Like to see the modelers that come out after a crash! I do have the CNC retract plates already, almost forgot about them.

                            Comment

                            • Grossman56
                              Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

                              • Jun 2014
                              • 7378
                              • Cody, Wyoming
                              • Send PM

                              #1214
                              Anyone know of a source for the retract pins? I've sourced out Motion, FMS and Horizon, but none to be found.

                              Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

                              Comment

                              • Hardway
                                Hobby Squawk Moderator

                                • Mar 2017
                                • 3148
                                • Willow Park, Texas
                                • Send PM

                                #1215
                                http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-1400mm-p...ing-gear-strut

                                RC Castle has these too, but for just the pins...…. I came up empty too. :disappointed_reliev IDK if they are 4mm, but whatever the diameter, use some old nitro wire landing gear or music wire and cut your own with a Dremel and file the flat spots with the abrasive wheel.... Sorry Bro!! I tried!!

                                Comment

                                • Hardway
                                  Hobby Squawk Moderator

                                  • Mar 2017
                                  • 3148
                                  • Willow Park, Texas
                                  • Send PM

                                  #1216
                                  A little P-51 action for you Dan!!

                                  Comment

                                  • Hardway
                                    Hobby Squawk Moderator

                                    • Mar 2017
                                    • 3148
                                    • Willow Park, Texas
                                    • Send PM

                                    #1217
                                    Have Snoot's Sniper and the Red Tail still in the box!!

                                    Comment

                                    • farmflyer
                                      HobbySquawk Pilot

                                      • Mar 2015
                                      • 1164
                                      • Quitaque Texas
                                      • Send PM

                                      #1218
                                      Sorry wrong thread don’t know how to remove post🤪

                                      Comment

                                      • Hardway
                                        Hobby Squawk Moderator

                                        • Mar 2017
                                        • 3148
                                        • Willow Park, Texas
                                        • Send PM

                                        #1219
                                        What did you post? There is nothing here on this end!! LOL

                                        Comment

                                        • farmflyer
                                          HobbySquawk Pilot

                                          • Mar 2015
                                          • 1164
                                          • Quitaque Texas
                                          • Send PM

                                          #1220
                                          I edited it out but couldn’t figure out how to delete the entire post.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...