Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I pulled her out of the box and sorted through that rats nest of wiring. The initial checks show all the electronics operational - everything moved, motors calibrated and spun up, the lights lit and the gear cycled many times. Hopefully it stays that way!

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post
      Well I pulled her out of the box and sorted through that rats nest of wiring. The initial checks show all the electronics operational - everything moved, motors calibrated and spun up, the lights lit and the gear cycled many times. Hopefully it stays that way!
      Where do you live? If it's cold out when you fly, the retracts may not deploy when it's time to land. Some say below 60F and the Dynam retracts stop working. Mine stopped working when near freezing. When flying around, it got even colder. Gear would not come down. I ended up changing all retracts to a different brand.

Comment

• Dynam retracts have always acted up once it got around 50 degree period! My A-10 was known for "fly her before cold weather and ground it until spring" unless you wanted to fly with the wheels down all the time.
        Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Where do you live? If it's cold out when you fly, the retracts may not deploy when it's time to land. Some say below 60F and the Dynam retracts stop working. Mine stopped working when near freezing. When flying around, it got even colder. Gear would not come down. I ended up changing all retracts to a different brand.
          Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to keep an eye on it and test them. I hope to fly it at our Veterans day event.

I'm in Maryland and usually fly something all winter...

Comment

By the way, what retracts did you replace them with?

Comment

I live in a cold climate area and would like to know which set of retracts you used to replace the stock units with. If you could tell me the brand of retract and where I might find it to purchase I would appreciate it.

Comment

• Paint is complete!!!

On to the bomb bay!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	101454

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	101455

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	101456

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	101457

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	101458

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	101459

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	101460

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	101461

Comment

• Looking good, Kloverzero. One tip: be careful with the black painted clear parts. They'll be more prone to warping under high heat, which of course will accumulate faster under the blacked out pieces. Dynam's PE is thin.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Super-nice looking airplane. The green chromate, the white prop tips, and the painted lines on the nose cone are really nice touches. Don't forget to paint the cylinder heads! ;)
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                      Super-nice looking airplane. The green chromate, the white prop tips, and the painted lines on the nose cone are really nice touches. Don't forget to paint the cylinder heads! ;)
                      We musn't forget the radials!! They are still on the list of to do's, but I want to focus on the bombs and bomb bay now. I tried making several electromagnets for the drop mechanism, but they would all get super hot. So, Banggood to the rescue!! I found a very small electromagnet that they say will hold 22 lbs, I only need to it hold 3 ounces, so if it is only half as good as they say it is, I am still in the green. I have everything else, so I will start on getting the door servos mounted, and connections to the doors made tonight. Hopefully I will have a video of the operation to share tomorrow. Pics of the progress for sure!!

Comment

• Okay, so I got the door servos in, the control horns, and the bay doors. Started playing with the linkages, but the glue (Foam Tac) needed to dry on the horns. I also got the new servo tray made for the tail servos, and the servos installed. I am splitting the elevators to two separate servos for more positive authority. All of the tail servos are FMS 17G DMG from my ill fated 1500mm P-47. I also got the retracts re-installed, with the new non-steamroller tires on them. The mains are Dave Brown, and no clue what the nose wheel came off of, but it looks a lot better!!!!

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	101635

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	101636

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	101637

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	101638

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	101639

Comment

• Coming along nicely. Looks pretty cool. How are you hinging the bay doors?

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post
                            Coming along nicely. Looks pretty cool. How are you hinging the bay doors?
                            I used Robart "Hinge-Point" pinned hinges. You can see them in this older photo.

Name:	hinges.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	101663

Comment

• Hmm wonder if you can use a sequencer for gears to delay bomb dropping for effect

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                Hmm wonder if you can use a sequencer for gears to delay bomb dropping for effect
                                Rifleman, I am sure that you could, but my plan is for a more "scale" approach to it. I want to be able to open the doors, and fly a full circuit with them open and simulate the bombing approach, then, when I am ready, turn the power to the magnet off, and let them loose. To use a sequencer, you would probably have to have a mechanical connection to release the bombs, and that is the exact thing I was looking to avoid. The switch may work with the sequencer, but I am looking for more than a 6 second delay. I am hoping to become a marksman with the bomb drop, and I need to be able to have them release exactly when I tell them to.

Comment

• True. Was just thinking for other who may not want the bombs to drop immediately on open. I've wanted to do everything on a single switch when I design my bomb dropping system. So flip to the center position doors open next position drops them. I'm hoping to have the same idea as you, and i hope I can do it all off a single 3 pos switch

Comment

• Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post

I used Robart "Hinge-Point" pinned hinges. You can see them in this older photo.
                                    Thank you

Comment

• Here is my 2 cents. I have been dropping bombs from RC planes for years and I can honestly tell you that you guys are over complicating it with the bombs on a separate release mechanism or magnets if the plane has bomb bay doors. First, the bomb doors will not be that visible while flying. In fact, you will barely notice yourself. Two, with bombs coming out on just opening the doors you can be very accurate. A small slow down of door opening will make the bombs come out like a string. Which makes the doors more versatile Fast and they will group. Bob did a similar set up trying to make the doors open first and then releasing the bombs with a rubberband, and his was very unreliable, so he is going to abandon that set up.
                                      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Very interesting. I already have the magnet OTW, and have it pretty much ready to go now, so I am going to give it a whirl and see what happens. At the very least, it is a test bed for future projects. I am going to be scratch building an A-37 Dragonfly soon, and wanted to do dropable napalm canisters without the need for a physical release mechanism on the wing.

Comment

• Mechanisms aren't that big of a pain. There are many ways to make them deploy. They are secure even at High Speed/G. Mine give you the capability to drop whatever you want. I have mounted as many as three bombs on three separate pylons on a 1100mm Skyraider. It handles it without problems dependably and are easy to load. I usually hold the plane upside down and balance the bombs over the mechanism and then hit the switch to load. I did modify my transmitter to a push button switch to handle the drops, and you don't need powerful servos. 2.2gram will work. Lots of videos at youtube Dropadambomb@gmail.com
                                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X