Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North 14 - your CG is set by the balancig jig that comes with this kit? Perhaps a tad bit nose heavy?

I have a long ways to go before my Assebly is ready for motor and electronics packages

For an electric set up Three different battery sections are needed:
    1. Motor Batteries to the ESC
    2. Receiver Battery
    3. Retract Battery

Anybody got photos of where you set up your electronics in this bird?

Thanks in advance,
    TwistedGrin

Comment

• Tracked down a user manual for the JP Electric Retract controller that appears to be shipping with the BH 2000mm Spitfire...please see attached

JP Hobby Séquençeur de Trains ER-150 V1_EN.pdf

TwistedGrin
      Attached Files

Comment

• Gents what sized 2s Lipo batteries are you guys finding that provide enough mAh and cycles for the electric retract system?

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Hi Twisted Grin,

I`m using a 1.5mha 2s for my retracts and a 2s 1.5mha for my ignition both located 1 on top of each
          other behind fuel tank, mainly for easy access.
          The 1.5 seems plenty enough for the retracts.
          My main receiver battery is in the cowling. and is a 3s 3000mha

I used the COG jig but drilled new holes at 100mm. I think I added about 400 grams of weight to the nose to get correct COG
          At least going electric you can move the batteries to help achieve desired COG
          My all up weight is 8KG but flies very light.
          Like i said earlier you could probably set the COG back a little but it behaves like a kitten at 100mm

Ian

Comment

• Originally posted by North14 View Post
            Hi Twisted Grin,

I`m using a 1.5mha 2s for my retracts and a 2s 1.5mha for my ignition both located 1 on top of each
            other behind fuel tank, mainly for easy access.
            The 1.5 seems plenty enough for the retracts.
            My main receiver battery is in the cowling. and is a 3s 3000mha

I used the COG jig but drilled new holes at 100mm. I think I added about 400 grams of weight to the nose to get correct COG
            At least going electric you can move the batteries to help achieve desired COG
            My all up weight is 8KG but flies very light.
            Like i said earlier you could probably set the COG back a little but it behaves like a kitten at 100mm

Ian

Perfecto ...thanks for the information Ian !!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4203.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	326497 Worked on the wings some more tonight....laid in the Wheel wells and mounted the electric retracts and installed the Strut covers.....noticing they are riding really proudly from the wing surface. I have flown kits with similar issues (Gap)...a washer would set them closer to the wing but then that raises the retract flange from a nice flat support surface of the retract mounts.

Did you guys have the same issue.....shimmed up the retracts and no issues from that?

TwistedGrin
              Attached Files

Comment

• Hi.

I can't remember having an issue
                But i did put a spacer at the rear of the
                Unit to rake the wheels further forward

Maybe cycle the retracts a few times just to make sure they are closing fully

Ian

Comment

• 10:4 Thanks Ian - Hoping I don't have to resort to usung a spacer to close this gap.....it's a little more than I'd like to fly with. I am surprised the wing still performs with the faux scoops in front of the flaps. With all this hanging down from the wings I guess the gap of the strut covers means little to nothing regarding airflow anyway

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Ah yeah,

I opened my scoops

Ian

Comment

• Originally posted by North14 View Post
                      Ah yeah,

I opened my scoops

Ian
                      Ian - I am glad you mentioned this....I too was thinking about this....opening up both back and front ends of the air scoops. The 1600mm Flighline Foamie Spitfire has them open as well......makes much better sense to me to have them flowing through !!!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• One of the retracts is Dead on Arrival....both hooked into the retract control modual.....only one retract works on all three ports. The other retract is not operable on the same three ports. Took the dead retract motor out of the retract mount/side arms......nothing to bind up completely free. It's dead.

I have been searching all day for a replacement motor....nothing to be found.

Does anybody know of some other R/C aircraft retract that will fit this bird?

I'll go Pnuematic Air Retracts if we have found something other than the BlackHorse Air Retracts that fit !!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                          One of the retracts is Dead on Arrival....both hooked into the retract control modual.....only one retract works on all three ports. The other retract is not operable on the same three ports. Took the dead retract motor out of the retract mount/side arms......nothing to bind up completely free. It's dead.

I have been searching all day for a replacement motor....nothing to be found.

TwistedGrin
                          Strange
                          Don't you have warranty any more?

Grts Hans

Comment

• Yes Motion does have a warranty - 30days from receipt. Perhaps sending back the entire Kit and Kabootle due to the failed electric retract motor would have been cause to return the entire kit ....but I did not think to drag it out of the box and test it before the warranty time expired. I was NOT able to start my build assembly - other than a general visual shipping inspection - within this time period. Even if I had......would rather keep the bird and wrangle for the failed retract motor alone.....I did contact Motion regarding the failed retract motor yesterday. They don't have the electric retract motors in stock and no information of when they will.

I am continuing the assembly and may have to fly it with landing gear down (Manually screwing the failed side) ...until I receive the part from the links you just posted.

HOORAH - Thanks for posting the parts link to order !!!!!

The diminsions for the electric motor supplied in our kits match this part:

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Ordrered up the electric retract motor ....the assembly continues

Note: I discoverd the Rudder servo needed to be rotated 180 from the two elevator servo's......suggest to assemble the rudder linkage first then work on the tail wheel pull pull.....otherwise foul language may insue as I had to cobble together some adhock repairs to my tail wheel cables after discovering this

Note: The tail wheel pivot arm may not clear the rear fuselage bulkhead thus preventing it from total movement. This also prevents the rudder from full travel and would eventually strip the servo. The remedy is to remove enough wood from the bulkhead to allow full travel of the tailwheel pivot arm. Additionally the cable crimp might need to be deployed forward of the bulkhead as it too might catch on the wood.....your kit and results may vary

TwistedGrin

Comment

• On the last stages of this moldels assembly....set my COG to 100mm using one half of a diver belt weight @ 239 grams right behind the motor. I am still waiting on the retract motor so no forward progress with the landing gear all the way yet. I need to se the pilot in, glue on the canopy, the start trying to come up with some paint detailing around the exhaust. CA did me no favors as I thought I would use a drop to help me get it held in place while I used FoamTac to set it all in....that plan failed. Removing the tape I used to secure the position while the glue set tore off the paint from the exhuast. Still need to figure out how I am going to attach the landging rear connectors each time at the field.....costom connectors or feed them through everytime.

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Just waiting on replacement Electric Retract motor (DOA)...Blackhorse 78inch Spitfire.
                                  120amp ESC;
                                  10s 8000mAh LiPo / (2) 5s LiPo in series
                                  GP26-245Kv Motor / 78amp peak /
                                  2s 1300mAh Retract battery
                                  2s 2200mAh Life receiver battery
                                  Aura 8 to Spectrum Antennae reciever
                                  Falcon 18x10 W2E prop
                                  CG at 100mm instead of manual suggested 117mm
                                  18lbs total weight.

Per eCalc: Level flight 73mph. This set up is calculated to provide 152watts per pound with an estimated flight time of 13minutes at 75% throttle.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4228.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	328191Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4233.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	328192Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4239.JPG Views:	0 Size:	262.5 KB ID:	328193Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4241.JPG Views:	0 Size:	195.7 KB ID:	328194

Comment

• The 18x10 prop looks awefully small for thids bird to me...eCalc says it's within the limits of the motor and provides 150watts per pound though

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Gents, What control throws are you flying with.....or betters stated - are the suggested throw rates provided in the assembly manual correct for this bird?

I have three rates set up - Low (which is a couple MM higher than the low values in the manual); Mid (which is higher than the high rates in the manual); High (100% possible throw for taxi)

Thanks in Advance,
                                      TwistedGrin
                                      Waiting for the retract motor Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4243.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	328320

Comment

• Control throws...
                                        I have Futaba XMTR

My plane is stored, winter time.
                                        Out of my head:
                                        Aileron up/down 15mm as starting point, fly the plane and see how roll rate is in flight, expo 40%
                                        Rudder left/right 15-20mm, expo 40%
                                        Elevator: in flight 10 mm gear up (I use my gear switch as dual rate) expo 50%, gear down Elevator 20 mm, expo 60%

I will check my Spitfire when I fly it again, maybe this Saturday seems to be good weather......

Greetings Hans
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Excellent ...Thanks Hans.....hoping it flies as nice as you remeber it!!

TwistedGrin

Comment

Working...
                                          X