X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
    I had to put the stock gear back on my Tcat today. I was able to install the nose gear, but when I went to the mains I couldn't get the grub screws to loosen up even with heat from my soldering gun the screws would not move. :Angry: GRRRRR!!!! $44 bucks down the drain!!
    It sucks MB, the only option is to drill them out. I had to do that recently to change the stock wheels on the Bearcat, must have some strong people at the factory!
    I went through the same thing with the nose wheel on my Tigercat, it was a PITA. About the only thing I can think of short of drilling, is to pick up a second set of retracts, I know the cost and the pain of changing them out vs the results. Personally, the mains didn't do it for me so I went back to the stock gear, but I'm going to try what George recommended and us the ear from the Spitfire.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Doing some tinkering on the F7 and discovered 1/4 in backer rod fits nicely in the nacelle holes on top of the wing. I went to put some felt between the tires and the retract arms and had the same issue getting them off. Lucky I have a set of sweet Swiss made hex. They are well worth the money. I did find a little dob of glue on the axle where the grub screw hits. Might be worth some time to try some glue dissolver before you give up.

Comment

• I went to upgrade my gear this weekend and stripped one of the grub screws holding the nose gear. One loosened right away, one wouldn't budge at all and I ended up stripping it. And while trying to get it lose, I broke the little plastic part of the clevis going through the steering tiller. So instead of a simple upgrade, and after a few choice words, I had to pull the nose gear, then the servo to put on a new clevis, reassemble everything and put back in the 1 grub screw that would come out. I was temped to just to the mains but that wouldn't look right. So like the Mad Baron, I'll either have to eat the $44 for the gear or drill the grub screw, turning a PITA into a bigger PITA. I still would like to upgrade the gear, any pointers on how to drill out the grub screw. I haven't had to do that before.

Comment

• I plan on trying to replace the gear this week (again) I do have quality hex wrenches but the grub screws seem to be made out of soft metal. I will post later if I was successful.

Comment

I plan on trying to replace the gear this week (again) I do have quality hex wrenches but the grub screws seem to be made out of soft metal. I will post later if I was successful.
            Try some glue dissolver of some sort..I bet carb cleaner would work. There were some pretty serious dabs of glue under the grub screws when I got mine out.

Comment

• Got to maiden my TC this weekend. Flies great and the profile looks very scale on low rates. This is a real winner. I painted to cowels a flat whitened was glad I did. The head on profile is so slim, I could barely see the plane but easily saw those 2 white "eyes". I debated between yellow and white, after flying it, white it the better choice.

Comment

• Success! I was able to finish the gear mod. I removed the main gears completely from the plane I had to drill out 3 of the grub screws one of the gears I couldn't use due to the drill going thru the threads. I had an extra retract in my box-o-parts I was able to use.
                Attached Files

Comment

Success! I was able to finish the gear mod. I removed the main gears completely from the plane I had to drill out 3 of the grub screws one of the gears I couldn't use due to the drill going thru the threads. I had an extra retract in my box-o-parts I was able to use.
                  I just had to cut the whole upper half of the nose of my Brand New HSD 75mm Viper so I could get to the upper nose gear to use my dremmal with the cutting a cutting edge to cut the top of the shaft off because of these Dam* grub screws. Why? To install the fancy landing gear upgrade with suspension. Wished I hadn't even messed with it. I wish they would use high-quality torqux heads instead of allen heads. When they're that small, and the screw is tight, they will strip every time. In my case they were just impossible to get to.

Woody

Comment

Success! I was able to finish the gear mod. I removed the main gears completely from the plane I had to drill out 3 of the grub screws one of the gears I couldn't use due to the drill going thru the threads. I had an extra retract in my box-o-parts I was able to use.
                    I know this question is going to sound stupid, but I'm never done this and I'm in the same situation you originally were. I stripped a grub screw on my nose gear trying to get it loose to upgrade the LG all around. How exactly did you go about drilling out the grub screw? Just shoving a drill bit in there 1/8th of an inch or so and reaming it out? I'd like to upgrade the gear but don't want to have to buy a new retract if it's not necessary. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Comment

• I used a 9/64 drill bit but you have to be sure that the drill bit is perfectly centered or else it will cut into the threads. I started with a smaller bit to start with before I used the 9/64 bit. I ruined one retract because I didn't have the bit centered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellke View Post

I know this question is going to sound stupid, but I'm never done this and I'm in the same situation you originally were. I stripped a grub screw on my nose gear trying to get it loose to upgrade the LG all around. How exactly did you go about drilling out the grub screw? Just shoving a drill bit in there 1/8th of an inch or so and reaming it out? I'd like to upgrade the gear but don't want to have to buy a new retract if it's not necessary. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
                        Mad Baron is right. If you have access to a drill press that makes easier to keep it centered. Also if you can get a tap of the same thread size you can run it through there and clean the threads up.

Comment

• WARNING! – WARNING! – WARNING!

This may be old news but if your research for products and supplies turns up a RC supplier called VampowrPro or Urban Products Inc. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try to buy anything from them, not even a screw because that’s what you’ll get!!! I learned the hard way and though I didn’t lose any money (my CC company reversed charges) I wasted so much time chasing them for information. They don’t take calls; their mailbox is full and don’t return any emails and I just learned this has been going on for 8+ years. My bad for not conducting any due diligence on them. I’ve never seen any company as bad as these dirt bags and I’m surprised PayPal hasn’t shut them down so heed the warning!

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	939F9E1E-EE2A-4F56-A930-0A315E0BDF4D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	189650
                            Maidened the Cat this morning. Some up trim and right trim was all that was needed. I forgot how well this aircraft flies . I’m glad I decided to replace my destroyed “Here Kitty Kitty” (RIP) - #21 is a keeper! :Cool:

The Korean War scheme confused some of the guys at the field who asked if ishe was a “Black Widow.” :Whew:

I’ll just have to keep an eye on the electrical connections so the same failure that killed the “Kitty” doesn’t occur with #21!
                            Last edited by theoldALFER; Apr 11, 2019, 02:04 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Comment

• Originally posted by rcboone2000 View Post
                              This is how I fixed mine also I called motion rc and sent a picture to Derik.I used a washer from the frame side on a trex 450 and a screw long enough to tighten into the motor shaft
                              I'm having the same problem with the hubs on my Flightline F7F-3. Wondering how the solution you found was holding up.

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
                                Here is the fix with the single prop. Still have to try and make a front pin for the landing gear since they are on backorder for God knows how long
                                Thinking of trying the same fix to solve my F7F-3 hub problems. Are you using the P-38 stock prop shaft and nut with the 2 blade "high performance" prop on the stock F7F-3 motor? Any issues to date using that prop with the stock motor?

Comment

• I have extra retracts after upgrading my two cats. I am willing to give to anyone willing to pay the shipping. As far as grub screws, I found that you really need a good Allan wrench. I purchased a set from either Tower of Motion. I have never stripped a screw since I used this quality set.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPF4052 View Post

Thinking of trying the same fix to solve my F7F-3 hub problems. Are you using the P-38 stock prop shaft and nut with the 2 blade "high performance" prop on the stock F7F-3 motor? Any issues to date using that prop with the stock motor?
                                    Yes...and no issues at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post

Yes...and no issues at all.
                                      Thanks, sounds like the best solution I've seen so far!

Comment

• Originally posted by DPF4052 View Post

I'm having the same problem with the hubs on my Flightline F7F-3. Wondering how the solution you found was holding up.
                                        i havent had any problems after the fix

Comment

• Oh crap you guys are going to get me divorced. Pushed the button and will join you all on the F7F site. I'll tell her it's on the way tomorrow! What a great looking plane even if it's not a jet!

Comment

Working...
                                          X