Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post
    Finally! Barney's Buzz Wagon is ready!
    It flew in the 446th bomb group, 705th bomb squadron. Piloted by Bernard L Hutain.
    25 missions then reportedly hit by AAA 03-08-1944.

Pictures were taken Sunday at our Veterans Day event at the field where it debuted.
    It's ready to go but has not yet been maidened. But hopefully soon...

Callie graphics, MAS 8x6x3's and russcramer's prop adaptors (stock props on for debut & photos).

Thanks for everyones help, tips etc.
    Great job!!!! Very nice bro!!! Good luck on the maiden. Should go well for sure!! Jerry

Comment

• Looks awesome, nodirt! Good luck with maiden.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post
        Finally! Barney's Buzz Wagon is ready!
        ND, That is truly well done. Bravo Zulu...Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks for the compliments guys, it took a long time but it's done, AND best of all it took to the skies this morning! Powered by Pulse 3700 25C's it pulled right at take off speed but went up without problem. I landed at 4:30 without flaps because the recommended down elevator was too much. Came in a little hot & hard but ok. Reduced the down elevator. Had 71% left so went back up. Pulled right again but made a better landing with full flaps.

On the next try the nose gear would not cycle. Ultimately took the nose retract apart and found a bad micro switch. Will have to order a repacement.

Flew two more flights with nose gear down. The third landing bounced and I had to go around.The last flight was on Pulse 4100's. That landing was the best.

It flew well and overall, aside from the retract, I will consider it a success! :)

Comment

• Hi B-24 pilots, I am enjoying the assembly of this beautiful WW2 bomber, and will be flying it very soon, and later spend this cold winter detailing and weathering her up. I've seen and read that two 4s are required, but after seeing George's Fan Flight, I thought he mentioned that he is making those great looking scale flights with a single 3s5000 (?) or maybe I misheard....I have double packs of 3s3700 and 4s4000's, and even a single 4s5200, and just wondering what are the power possibilities?

Comment

• I fly mine on 4S and take off at half throttle. Lots of guys are flying on 3S with great success. I plan on trying 3S when the weather gets better.

Comment

• Originally posted by fastphil View Post
                Hi B-24 pilots, I am enjoying the assembly of this beautiful WW2 bomber, and will be flying it very soon, and later spend this cold winter detailing and weathering her up. I've seen and read that two 4s are required, but after seeing George's Fan Flight, I thought he mentioned that he is making those great looking scale flights with a single 3s5000 (?) or maybe I misheard....I have double packs of 3s3700 and 4s4000's, and even a single 4s5200, and just wondering what are the power possibilities?
                The B24 is grossly overpowered with a 4S. It flies great on a 3S and if you put a larger pack in you can fly for a longer time. You can use whatever mah rating you want as long as it balances! I am using two 3700's with one on top, shoved all the way to the front. You can certainly use heavier packs but I find that it flies really nice.
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Hi Muddduck, thanks for the battery tips...with my spare time I have the B-24 assembled, avionics tested and programed, props balanced, and just about ready for flight operations...for the last several evenings I've read thru every page on the thread (making notes and saving links) and I would like to thank you for a couple of yours posts (especially page 63 / post # 1246) regarding 3s vs 4s, and making the clear distinctions. Although I luv flying my big jets and warbirds, this Bomber has found a niche in my hanger. We're snowbirds that sit out the winters in Arizona, and I hope that once flying, I'll have a chance to fly with a "Bomber Group"....I have the new mr rc sound system and suspension gear for it also...any bomber pilots in Havasu or western AZ?

Comment

• Thanks Phil, appreciate your comments, thanks! Too bad I'm pretty far away because I'd love to hang out (I'm in Ohio).

Let me just stick my neck out and post one more tip - if you've read the thread you probably already saw that this bomber has the potential for disaster hiding in plain sight - you have to absolutely be careful not to strike a prop on takeoff. Its super easy to do, since you're dealing with long wings and the outer props are so close to the ground. You let a wing bank ever so slightly, you'll hit one and break a prop, and the whole nacelle will rip off from the vibration at full power (some guys have inserted reinforcements - what I do is take off quickly.)
                    And I find that it takes off very quickly on 3 cells, just not straight vertical like it will do on 4 cells! :)
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Finished the B-24, and got in three flights today starting desert operations...first two flights with 4s4000's, and the third with 3s3700 and a velcro'ed removable lead bar for balance. I had fun with half and full flap fly-bys with the gear up & down, and she took off and landed about as easy as it gets...I am very pleased with this great looking great flying warbird. I've tested the sound system on the bench, and will start detailing and weathering soon...I wanted to have her flying and trimmed in case the weather cooperates for the Desert Warbird Fly-in this weekend in Coachella, we've really had fun there the last few years!

Comment

• FastPhil, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Your aircraft look great. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Welcome!!!!!! Birds looks great!!! Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by fastphil View Post
                            Finished the B-24, and got in three flights today starting desert operations...first two flights with 4s4000's, and the third with 3s3700 and a velcro'ed removable lead bar for balance. I had fun with half and full flap fly-bys with the gear up & down, and she took off and landed about as easy as it gets...I am very pleased with this great looking great flying warbird. I've tested the sound system on the bench, and will start detailing and weathering soon...I wanted to have her flying and trimmed in case the weather cooperates for the Desert Warbird Fly-in this weekend in Coachella, we've really had fun there the last few years!
                            I love the weathering job on your A10, that's some nice work there!

Comment

• Thank you for the warm welcome, I like model aviation and the Squawk....
                              I believe these are the B-24's in Kingman

I Find This Collection Of Photographs To Be MOST Eerie..!Can You Imagine The Conversations That Took Place Among These Warriors When They Were Gathered Here,...

Comment

• What a shame to see these airplanes slowly deteriorating away. I know they can't all be saved, but still, it's a part of history.

Comment

• Originally posted by handyman220 View Post
                                  What a shame to see these airplanes slowly deteriorating away. I know they can't all be saved, but still, it's a part of history.
                                  They've been gone for over 60 years:Straight-Face:
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

They've been gone for over 60 years:Straight-Face:
                                    :(Gone but not forgotten. Just seems like such a waste......... :Angry:

Comment

• Originally posted by handyman220 View Post

:(Gone but not forgotten. Just seems like such a waste......... :Angry:
                                      Yes but you have to consider what the country had just gone through and how valuable all that aluminum was at that time, heck I would bet there's some of those B-24s in half the stuff we own these days:Straight-Face:
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Yes but you have to consider what the country had just gone through and how valuable all that aluminum was at that time, heck I would bet there's some of those B-24s in half the stuff we own these days:Straight-Face:
                                        Very true! ;)

Comment

• Today at the Desert Warbirds Fly-In @ Coachella, my B-24 was awarded 1st Place for WW2....I flew it both on 3s and 4s in the perfect weather conditions, so the Liberator did all the work!

Comment

Working...
                                          X