Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'd like to write a brief report about flying the B-24 with 3-cell packs. (everything on my model is stock by the way, I have Witchcraft)

I was flying mine yesterday afternoon, and started with the 4-cell 3600's that I usually use. As many of you know, the plane is a rocket ship. It will leap of the ground in about 10 feet and has absolute unlimited vertical. Of course that kind of performance is similar to my OS.45-powered stunt plane, but is a little (slightly) uncharacteristic for a bomber. To each his own - for me, it just doesn't seem right flying this plane at speeds that for a full-size Liberator, would be supersonic. So I tool around at low power and that makes me happy. Its nice to have that extra burst when you want it, and say to my friends "hey watch this" and watch their mouths drop.

So I've been wanting to try a 3-cell pack but I was waiting to gain some flight time (and some good weather) before doing that, and yesterday was the day. I used 3-cell Admiral 3600's. One placed in the tray all the way forward, the other one was on top and all the way up front to the foam bulkhead - which placed it out of reach of the strap, but the canopy locked it in nicely (the strap held the wires). I had to push the battery forward like that in order for the model to balance. ITs important of course, with smaller batteries that was my main concern. But everything checked out fine and my hypothesis was that the model wouldn't need as much power, since it would be lighter. Less power draw = longer flights. (I didn't weigh it).

Well I'm very pleased to report that it flew extremely well. I was surprised that with the 3-cell packs it still had plenty of power for takeoff, in fact it took off with authority (but somewhat more realistically). And I was able to cruise around at less than 1/2 throttle. The model still flew around at a pretty good clip - it wasn't like it was just plodding along - the only thing that was missing was that it wouldn't go vertical. At full power it would climb at a nice angle, say 45 degrees, but eventually would lose steam. I was able to loop from level flight without any problem at all (it did not need full power to do that). The best part was the landing, when I came in (full flaps on final) I was able to hold the nose WAY up and when it touched down, it started flying again. It was definitely "light on its feet". What a *****cat.

After landing, the batteries were at 3.8 volts per cell - that was a after a 5-minute flight, and its the exact same time and results as I got from my 4-cell pack. (I could fly longer I am sure, I just haven't pushed it yet)

I would encourage everyone strongly that you do NOT have to use 4-cell packs in this plane, its just not necessary. You can save some money and enjoy a terrific flying experience with 3-cell packs. The only thing you can't do is fly "3D style" or whatever you want to call it when you fly this plane like an Extra 330. Maybe with larger 3-cell packs (like a 5000mah) you could fly for a lot longer. Have fun, with whatever you decide to do!

Very true, 3S works great and I even cut my throttle range down to 80% so as to not sling a prop blade loose.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

Cross controlling is normally used in side-slips to control bank angle while angling the nose well off to the side vs line of travel. The wing "behind" the fuselage is blanketed by turbulence and highly likely to stall. Its a great way to lose altitude and airspeed at the same time. Its also a great way to put the airplane into a spin if you lose too much airspeed.
      Typically a technique used on landing approach, you have ZERO room for recovery if it spins.
      It is very difficult to spin an airplane while slipping....nearly impossible: http://www.askacfi.com/5189/forward-...-stallspin.htm

Skids are completely different and you are very likely to enter a spin while skidding. Almost all stall/spin accidents are caused by in inadvertent skid.

You may have heard that a skid during a stall is more dangerous than a slip, and it's true. But, why?

Comment

• I was looking for a comparable silver B-17, but didn't really like the Hobby King version as much as my Olive B-24, so I bought the silver B-24 instead since I absolutely loved flying the Olive one. With a little extra paint and Callie's decals, I think I like the silver one better than my Olive. But having both sure gets the attention at the field, especially since both have the 3D cockpits and top and front turrets hooked up to servos. Put the Mr. RC sound with the multi-engine pack in this one as well and the suspension struts.

Flightline, please make a large B-17 using the same equipment as the B-24!!!
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• YES PLEEEAAASSSEI

And a B-29 while you're at it!

Comment

• Agreed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
              YES PLEEEAAASSSEI

And a B-29 while you're at it!
              B-29 would be nice for sure, I'd buy one, maybe if it comes after a C-130. I've been wanting a C-130 forever. So if it comes before a C-130, then I'll probably protest. Freewing makes a ton of propeller driven aircraft, ya just don't see them on Motion for some reason. Don't hold your breath. LOL

Woody

Comment

• If FLRC ever came out with a C-130, I'd do this to it:

EC-130H "Compass Call"

I was a crew member on this back in 89-91. I did the same thing to my GWS "Cargotrans".
                Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                  If FLRC ever came out with a C-130, I'd do this to it:

EC-130H "Compass Call"

I was a crew member on this back in 89-91. I did the same thing to my GWS "Cargotrans".
                  Wow Pat, that's cool. I had a friend of mine that flew EA-6B's. (a much more graceful A-6, IMO). I never new they made such a thing, and I flew C-130's lol. Nice pic.. I was starting to think I was the only C-130 fan on the forum. If you want one? I have scratch build plans for a Control Line Version I'm probably going to start on once I move into my new home. I'm more than willing to share.

As I've said in previous posts, WHY hasn't anyone made a nice PNP of one of these? This plane went into service about the same time as the F-4. It's out lasted F-4's, A-4's, F-14's, F-8's, A-7's, S-2's, Neptunes, gawd it's out lasted a ton of military aircraft. I still work closely with the US Navy. When I left North Island today there we're five of these parked on the ramp. Three Navy, One Air Force, and one Coast Guard. they were sitting right next to six FA-18's. They will probably out live them too.

Word has it, they have a new one, I've actually seen them here. Has different engines, it can fly non-stop to virtually anywhere on the planet.

Best Regards
                  Woody

Comment

• In all honesty I wouldn't mind a C130. That plane brought me in and out of Iraq.

Comment

• I refueled many a EC-130's when I was a boom operator. We used to call them baloney slicers because you did not want to go to far left or right of the fuselage or you would get you're boom shortened.:Scared:

Comment

• No kidding, and those things turn with a purpose!

Comment

• Looks like HK have delivered a C130!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Symes View Post
                            Looks like HK have delivered a C130!

Mike
                            \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• That plane looks awesome! But really want to see and hear it in action. But 4s 2200... really?

If MRC were to ever produce this one it would be even more impressive, I know it.

Comment

• I’m trying to decide on receiver placement, do I need to orient the antennas in any special way? I’ve never used a diversity receiver before.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                  I’m trying to decide on receiver placement, do I need to orient the antennas in any special way? I’ve never used a diversity receiver before.
                                  That's the way I've done it with diversity antennas. One straight back and the other at 90 degrees, straight up or to the side. I have one in a sailplane and that thing goes really far away.

Oh, I flew my B-24 today and it was a beautiful thing. It was windy and then it was calm. It flew in both conditions and didn't care. No gyro, just stock. Rock solid. Greased all landings. People marveled at what a nice looking plane it is. Made some really nice sounds as it went by.

Comment

• Thanks xviper. I'm using 4S 3600's all the way forward and my CG seems right on at 3". Maiden will happen tonight.

Comment

• I've finally been able to start devoting serious time to my B-24.

I originally planned to do "The Dragon and his Tail" but I couldn't get the vinyl to fit the way I wanted to. I tried sourcing waterslide graphics, but no one would do anything that big or as a part of a single run. So I went back to my books and I decided on "Cocky Bobby" a B-24 that flew in the pacific and several missions over the hump. Not as sexy as the Dragon, but this scheme has two advantages - a sharks mouth (very cool) and a black underbelly. The black underbelly will be nice, even essential for orientation. Silver birds have a tendency to vanish in our turquoise skies.

I started printing the 3D files myself on a Prusa Mk3. I just got the printer and was having layer issues, particularly with the guns. Inexperience with the printer was the problem. I had no problem with the turrets or cockpit panels.
                                      I decided to order the parts I was having problems printing directly from Motion. The instrument panel and guns were perfect. With a complete set, I was ready paint the parts and assemble my B24

I used the action figures described upthread to dress up the turrets. First thing is I worked on 'dirtying" them up. By using a mixture of paints and washes I brought out highlights in the figures and made them look less clean. I didn't care much for the sunglasses, but figured removing them wouldn't be worth the time. After test fitting, amputations, and some time with the Dremel the figures were ready to install in the turrets.

All three turrets will wiggle. I plan to connect them to a single channel. I made a custom extension cable for the rear turret because of the length involved. The rear turret will be directly mounted on a servo. The forward turret is operated by a servo in the nose disguised with a photo of a B24 bombardiers station. The dorsal turret is connected to a servo mounted in the battery hatch. I carved out a foam pocket and used silicone glue to hold it in place. Someday I may replace this with a system that will rotate the turret 360 degrees. Probably not.

The 3D printed Norden bombsight doesn't fit in the station. The scale was right because it matched the photo I had. So back to the Dremel. I had to remove almost half of the bombsight before the canopy would fit.

The cockpit assembled perfectly. The 3D parts fit well and were easy enough to detail. I dry brushed the instrument panel to highlight the dials, but not before I considered using decals. Common sense once again prevailed. Again I dirtied up the pilots and used a cockpit picture tucked behind the seats to add some depth. I like the way it came out.

I still have a lot to do. I need to order the graphics from Callie. I need to finish painting the underbelly. I need to finish the tail feathers - I had experimented with using monocote for the stripes on the tail, but I think I'll paint them instead. I just didn't like the gloss. I discovered the adhesive on the monocote doesn't peel the paint like regular tape. I may have discovered not only the best way to mask foamies, but also the most expensive way too.

It may be a bit before I have another update because we've got a break in the winds coming up.

Comment

• Inspirational detailing, Gilatrout. Very nicely done so far.

Clear skies on your maiden, dkalwishky. Have fun!
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                          Thanks xviper. I'm using 4S 3600's all the way forward and my CG seems right on at 3". Maiden will happen tonight.
                                          I find the same with my bats. I use 3600 Admiral, 4000 Admiral and 3000 Graphene. They all weigh about the same and go right up to the front lip.

Comment

Working...
                                          X