X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
    Hugh, from Whats App just save the video to your phone, then upload that to YouTube. It's a pretty simple process. Let us know if you need help. You can send it to my WhatsApp and I'll do it for you if you need help with it.
    Thanks Sky Wolf, somehow uploaded it to You Tube and got it saved on my phone, although I don't know how I did it cause I followed the instructions online and none of that worked. These new fangled electronics are way beyond my 19 century brain, it's a wonder I can even use a computer or program my transmitter and receivers.

So here's the link to the video; it's a little long (8 minutes) so you may want to fast forward at times and zoom in for a little better view.

BTW, one last issue on the flight. I've been keeping my flight times to 8 minutes on the 4000mah 40C batteries, with the throttle around 55%-60% max and come down fairly consistently with 42% on one battery (that the UBEC is hooked to) and 52% on the other (with the sound system hooked to this battery). So obviously the servo's take the extra 10% (the sound system draws very little). If you hook up lighting, I suggest you hook it to the opposite battery of the UBEC. Motion has told me that if the battery with the UBEC drains down to low shut-off of the motors, there will still be enough power to operate the servos for a "quick" landing while running the last 2 motors. Hope I don't test out that notion.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Nice flight, Hugh. :Cool:

I was hoping to maiden mine today. But, the rain ruined that. Ah well. Maybe next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Jim, flew it today in a very gusty crosswind, but it wasn't the maiden, just the first time with the operating turrets. The sound system with the multi-engine pack sounded great. Everyone at the field came to the edge of the runway to watch (1st B-24 at our field), even the high end Jet guys. Flew it 4 times and this time I wasn't as nervous as the first few times and noticed that it flies much smoother on the stated low rates. Now use those as my mid rates and even a little less on the low. You really need to steer this thing with the rudder, using the opposite ailerons to keep it somewhat flat with a little up elevator. It tracks very well on take-off, even in a cross wind, and lands nice and smooth (used only 1/2 flaps since we had gusting 17mph winds). I'm still not that great with landings, after 4 years and maybe 300 flights with all manner of planes, but this is the easiest plane to land in my fleet. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing until they see my landings with the 1700mm P-51 and Corsair.

One of the guys at the field took a nice video of about 8 minutes of one of the flights and sent it to me on WhatsApp. Don't know if I can upload it to You Tube so I can post it here, as I'm not the most technically savy guy, leave that to my teenage son and daughter. Any one know how I could post it?
        Thanks Hugh! I'm glad to hear you like the way it fly's. Sounds like I can fly it like my 1/4 scale Nieuport 17, Or like my 1/4 scale Cub. I'm a rudder guy so I should really like the way this Bird handles.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Clearblue View Post

Thanks Hugh! I'm glad to hear you like the way it fly's. Sounds like I can fly it like my 1/4 scale Nieuport 17, Or like my 1/4 scale Cub. I'm a rudder guy so I should really like the way this Bird handles.

Jim
          Jim,

Since you're a rudder guy, the B-24 should be right up your alley. Quick question (or for anyone who might know): Since this plane requires scale turns using the rudder, and I found that to help keep it somewhat flat, I have to use a little "opposite aileron" (to be clearer, a left turn with rudder I found requires a slight aileron to the right- if you know what I mean-and of course some slight up elevator as the nose dips), would this be an appropriate plane to mix a little aileron with the rudder? I've never used mixing before and wouldn't even hazard a guess of how much aileron to mix in. I just did it by feel and how it looked, and can't tell you "how much" aileron it required to keep it flat. I'd be interested in trying it, but somewhat afraid of how much to use and if it would negatively impact the orientation on a take-off or landing.

The plane flew quite smoothly, even in a gusty 45 degree cross wind, but that might be because I use the AR636 receiver with the gyro. I have no idea how it flies without it. I've gotten somewhat competent at programming this receiver since I have it in a dozen planes (all my large warbirds, 2 yaks, an Edge, a P2 and even the Beast 60.) I like the ability to program 3 levels of gain and change with the flick of a switch (especially for 3D flying). On the B-24, I'm using rate gains of 35%/40%/55% for normal flight and 40%/50%60% Roll/Pitch/Yaw. No Heading gain (I only use that for the acrobatic planes 3D mode).

I'm not even sure I would know how to program a mix in, but could look it up on the internet. Mostly concerned with how much to even use. On the other hand, may just leave it the way it is cause I most likely would only screw up something that already works.:Thinking::Silly:
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hey Hugh, I know that field. You fly at Markham. Nice field!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Jim,

Since you're a rudder guy, the B-24 should be right up your alley. Quick question (or for anyone who might know): Since this plane requires scale turns using the rudder, and I found that to help keep it somewhat flat, I have to use a little "opposite aileron" (to be clearer, a left turn with rudder I found requires a slight aileron to the right- if you know what I mean-and of course some slight up elevator as the nose dips), would this be an appropriate plane to mix a little aileron with the rudder? I've never used mixing before and wouldn't even hazard a guess of how much aileron to mix in. I just did it by feel and how it looked, and can't tell you "how much" aileron it required to keep it flat. I'd be interested in trying it, but somewhat afraid of how much to use and if it would negatively impact the orientation on a take-off or landing.

The plane flew quite smoothly, even in a gusty 45 degree cross wind, but that might be because I use the AR636 receiver with the gyro. I have no idea how it flies without it. I've gotten somewhat competent at programming this receiver since I have it in a dozen planes (all my large warbirds, 2 yaks, an Edge, a P2 and even the Beast 60.) I like the ability to program 3 levels of gain and change with the flick of a switch (especially for 3D flying). On the B-24, I'm using rate gains of 35%/40%/55% for normal flight and 40%/50%60% Roll/Pitch/Yaw. No Heading gain (I only use that for the acrobatic planes 3D mode).

I'm not even sure I would know how to program a mix in, but could look it up on the internet. Mostly concerned with how much to even use. On the other hand, may just leave it the way it is cause I most likely would only screw up something that already works.:Thinking::Silly:
              Hugh you pretty much said it. Keeping the wing somewhat flat as you start giving rudder, add in opposite aileron so it doesn't tuck in if you will. As for a mix? I typically only mix flap to elevator, Or rudder to steering like on my A 10. Mixing your rudder to aileron would be easy enough if that's what you want? I prefer just to fly it. But understand why one would want to. As for the mix? Just start out 5% to 8% aileron. And maybe have it like you have your gain, on a switch so you can work up to what "feel" you are looking for.

Jim.

Comment

• Hey Hugh if you mean you want to mix in rudder with your aieilrons, just start with a 10% rudder mix and see how it works. It shouldn't impact your takeoff because you shouldn't be feeding in any aieilron at that point.

Comment

• It would be better to make that a Flight Mode. It is too tempting to hit the ailerons when taking off sometimes.
                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• If you’re taking off in much of a crosswind with my Neiuport, you’d better be on the ailerons. Before the wind picks up wing because it’s changing directions faster than you can think about what input you need!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
                      Hey Hugh, I know that field. You fly at Markham. Nice field!!
                      Sky Wolf,

Yes, Markham is a great field and the group that flies there are all good guys and gals. Not everyone who uses the field is a member of our club, Markham Park Pilots Association (MPPA), but nonetheless, we all stick together. We also have a group of large jet guys that have some amazing inventory (some of those $25,000 jobs), all involved with our resident jet expert, Franco of House of Power. There is usually at least a half dozen big jets out every day, and that's when us "puny" electric pilots sit back, watch and be amazed.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Clearblue View Post

Hugh you pretty much said it. Keeping the wing somewhat flat as you start giving rudder, add in opposite aileron so it doesn't tuck in if you will. As for a mix? I typically only mix flap to elevator, Or rudder to steering like on my A 10. Mixing your rudder to aileron would be easy enough if that's what you want? I prefer just to fly it. But understand why one would want to. As for the mix? Just start out 5% to 8% aileron. And maybe have it like you have your gain, on a switch so you can work up to what "feel" you are looking for.

Jim.
                        Jim, I think you're right on about just fly it. What's the point if I set up everything for auto pilot, might as well go to the beach. Guess I just had a brain freeze moment trying to get it to fly itself.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Hugh, don't get me wrong! I do use mixes.... And If it makes your life easier? Then by all means go for it. Different strokes brother. I just prefer do that particular mix with my fingers!

Jim.

Comment

• Regarding the subject of needing to apply opposite aileron in a turn...

In the sailplane world, where high aspect, wide-span wings are being flown at slow speeds while thermalling, there exists a well known unwanted aerodynamic tendency known as the "over-banking tendency". When being turned at a relatively slow speed, the outer wing has a significantly higher airspeed than the inside wing and this results in higher lift on the outside wing, and this tends to cause the wing to want to increase the bank angle - ergo - the over-banking tendency. To correct for this unwanted effect, the pilot must apply reverse aileron to keep the bank angle constant throughout the turn. This results in the pilot needing to "cross-control" where the rudder is applied in one direction and the aileron is applied in the opposite direction. Most power pilots consider cross controls to be a no-no, but for sailplane pilots this is an everyday fact of life. (In a sailplane, the rudder is used for one reason: to maintain a streamlined attitude where the fuselage is aligned with the relative wind. This is the reason for the all-important yaw sting; a piece of yarn taped to the canopy in direct view of the pilot.)

The B-24 Liberator looks a lot like a sailplane with its high aspect wide-span wings. The over-banking tendency may be what is happening with this bird as well. For me, I don't think that applying a mix in the radio is a good idea, because the over-banking tendency varies significantly with airspeed and is most pronounced at slow speeds.

Note that I still need to finish assembly on my Lib and get out there and actually fly it! Spring has Sprung! (although we got snowed on last night here in Salt Lake City)

Comment

• Well I have finished detailing my B-24 and waiting for the wind to die down here in sunny SW Florida to get my first flight in.

I do have a question though. My buddy also has the B-24 and, on his first landing, he came in with the left wing slightly down and proceeded to land somewhat on the "heavy" side (dropped it onto the paved runway). Result - one broken prop on the outboard motor. Since I have noticed that Motion RC is out of stock for the second time on props, is the B-24 a "PROP EATER?" Anyone have that issue?

Next, my two cents on the use of Rudder. Simply put, there's a reason aero type engineers put rudders on airplanes ( and It's not to keep their brother-in-law in the hinge manufacturers business in business) - Rudder is used to make a turn coordinated. Any one who has actually had their arse in the seat of an airplane and watched the turn and bank indicator will attest that the rudder keeps the ball in the center while the intrepid airman makes a turn. Same is true for our down sized RC aircraft - the still obey the laws of aerodynamics.

I think I'll stick my head outside and see if the winds are under 25 gusting to forty...

Comment

• I haven't flown mine yet either, but wanted to have some back up props for when I do get that chance. Motion has been out for a good while. So found and ordered some from rc castle. couple weeks, and I had em. http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=7417

Jim.

Comment

• So another month has gone by... no nose gear doors. Hey MRC, should I just give up and scratchbuild?

Comment

• And while I'm at it, Alpha, back in December you started posting photos of the installed 3DP parts with the front turret and cockpit, but you never posted the top or rear turrets or waist gunner positions. Did you ever take photos of those?

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post
                                      So another month has gone by... no nose gear doors. Hey MRC, should I just give up and scratchbuild?
                                      An idea for the MRC guys - perhaps the LG doors could be provided as a 3D file, that way we can just print our own doors?
                                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                                        Regarding the subject of needing to apply opposite aileron in a turn...

In the sailplane world, where high aspect, wide-span wings are being flown at slow speeds while thermalling, there exists a well known unwanted aerodynamic tendency known as the "over-banking tendency". When being turned at a relatively slow speed, the outer wing has a significantly higher airspeed than the inside wing and this results in higher lift on the outside wing, and this tends to cause the wing to want to increase the bank angle - ergo - the over-banking tendency. To correct for this unwanted effect, the pilot must apply reverse aileron to keep the bank angle constant throughout the turn. This results in the pilot needing to "cross-control" where the rudder is applied in one direction and the aileron is applied in the opposite direction. Most power pilots consider cross controls to be a no-no, but for sailplane pilots this is an everyday fact of life. (In a sailplane, the rudder is used for one reason: to maintain a streamlined attitude where the fuselage is aligned with the relative wind. This is the reason for the all-important yaw sting; a piece of yarn taped to the canopy in direct view of the pilot.)

The B-24 Liberator looks a lot like a sailplane with its high aspect wide-span wings. The over-banking tendency may be what is happening with this bird as well. For me, I don't think that applying a mix in the radio is a good idea, because the over-banking tendency varies significantly with airspeed and is most pronounced at slow speeds...
                                        I flew for probably a couple of decades before I read someone on a forum saying that cross-controlling was a no-no. In all that time, I found myself naturally cross-controlling all the time, with all kinds of aircraft. I still don't understand what the problem is, as I've not noted any particular problem this causes. It's probably attributable to my old-lady slow flying style...

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post

I flew for probably a couple of decades before I read someone on a forum saying that cross-controlling was a no-no. In all that time, I found myself naturally cross-controlling all the time, with all kinds of aircraft. I still don't understand what the problem is, as I've not noted any particular problem this causes. It's probably attributable to my old-lady slow flying style...
                                          Same here, I cross-control on every plane I fly as SOP. not sure I understand why it is a no-no. Would love an explanation.

Comment

Working...
                                          X