Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my Apache, UH-1B and OH-58. At first I had my Apache pretty heave because, the tail was heavy now I use the 5S 4000mAh battery and seperate BEC w/ 2S 2550 mAh battery. Took all the weight out of the nose and now my CG is spot on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apache500 View Post
      What is your main pinion gear and head speed?
      Beautiful looking fleet! I am running about 1900 on headspeed with a 14T pinion.

Comment

• That is half my fleet. Here are is the rest of my Helicopter fleet. I am working on my last one which is the Roban 500 size MH-60L.
        That might be high for a 4 blade head. I am running 1400kv motor and with 16T and headspeed about 1600 I do believe. I forgot what my exact headspeed is at but, it is slow because I don't need a high headspeed for lift. Definitely not with a 4 blade head. Have to put my Apache back together and add a separate bec.

Comment

That is half my fleet. Here are is the rest of my Helicopter fleet. I am working on my last one which is the Roban 500 size MH-60L.
          That might be high for a 4 blade head. I am running 1400kv motor and with 16T and headspeed about 1600 I do believe. I forgot what my exact headspeed is at but, it is slow because I don't need a high headspeed for lift. Definitely not with a 4 blade head. Have to put my Apache back together and add a separate bec.
          More great looking machines! Love the Hueys! I tried lower headspeeds, starting at about 1700, and had to work my way up from there. At 1900, it had enough excess power to fly comfortably. That may be due to the higher weight of my machine. I am also running 6S power. I ran the numbers of your power setup with 5S and the 120T gear, and I came out with significantly higher headspeed than 1600 (around 2800!), you must be governing at a pretty low percentage. Here’s a few photos of some my other machines.

Comment

• Really inspiring work, DeltaDart, I'm sure your Apache will be the bee's knees once you've got it fully dialed in how you want.

1700-2100rpm is a good sweet spot in my experience for general purpose. I try to run as low as I can without bogging down. I ran my Apache right about 1800rpm head speed for my style of flying. Good packs make a difference
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
              Really inspiring work, DeltaDart, I'm sure your Apache will be the bee's knees once you've got it fully dialed in how you want.

1700-2100rpm is a good sweet spot in my experience for general purpose. I try to run as low as I can without bogging down. I ran my Apache right about 1800rpm head speed for my style of flying. Good packs make a difference
              Thanks Alpha! Should hopefully be soon. I’ve found the same thing across my 500s. All depends on weight, number of blades, and blade area. My lightly loaded Little Bird loves to cruise around at 1700 rpm.

Comment

• Those are your Helicopters? You got a great set as well there F106Deltadart. What size are they especially the M.A.S.H. Bell?

Comment

• 5S 4000mAh battery, 1400 kg motor, 16 tooth pinion gear and 120 T main gear that came out to = 2800rpm ?
                  I definitely got to check my headspeed out. It has be several years since I tested it out but I don't think it was that high.
                  don't misunderstand me, it is always up to you and we are just passing notes I hope.

I still have a question, Why is your Apache so heavy? Did you armor plate it ? Just kidding..
                  that is a 500 Apache right?

Comment

Those are your Helicopters? You got a great set as well there F106Deltadart. What size are they especially the M.A.S.H. Bell?
                    Thanks! The Bell 47 is 600 size. It is the Century Helicopters model converted to electric with a fair bit of customization. The Huey and Little Bird are 500 size, the AS-350 & Airwolf are 450 size, the UH-1N is 600 size, and the Dauphin is a 670 size Hirobo model converted to electric.

Originally posted by Apache500 View Post
                    5S 4000mAh battery, 1400 kg motor, 16 tooth pinion gear and 120 T main gear that came out to = 2800rpm ?
                    I definitely got to check my headspeed out. It has be several years since I tested it out but I don't think it was that high.
                    don't misunderstand me, it is always up to you and we are just passing notes I hope.

I still have a question, Why is your Apache so heavy? Did you armor plate it ? Just kidding..
                    that is a 500 Apache right?
                    I ran the numbers through Mr. Mels headspeed calc : http://calc.kfmconsulting.se. Could be wrong, and doesn’t account for where you are governing, but it’s generally a good approximation. I will always be happy to have more input, so glad to exchange notes and experiences!

My Apache is heavy due to adding in the gearboxes after converting to a TT drive tail, as well as a lot of scale accessories. It is the 500 size machine. I have a scale cockpit and pilots, servo driven TADS and gun, an actuated Horizontal Stabilizer, and larger 6S power setup. I run 2 3S 3700s in series so they just barely fit beneath the tub of the cockpit.

Comment

• Some of the old classic RC helicopters that you cannot get anymore. Lucky you. I got into scale Helicopters and the end when Roban started to slow its sale to RC Aerodyne. I was struggling to find scale bodies and Heliartist stop making Helicopters.

What stab system do you use in your Helicopters? You know I'm gonna have to put my Apache all together and you might be right on that headspead.

Comment

Some of the old classic RC helicopters that you cannot get anymore. Lucky you. I got into scale Helicopters and the end when Roban started to slow its sale to RC Aerodyne. I was struggling to find scale bodies and Heliartist stop making Helicopters.

What stab system do you use in your Helicopters? You know I'm gonna have to put my Apache all together and you might be right on that headspead.
                        I actually got into scale helis around the same time. I’ve found some great deals on forums that have allowed me to seek out a few of the older machines. The Bell 47 had to be shipped all the way from France, and was nearly destroyed by the postal service. Had to rebuild it entirely after they crushed the box.

For stabilization, I use a variety of units. Most use the ikon2/brain2, but I’ve also used the Demon Axon, and am planning on trying out the Spirit FBL and Spektrum FC6250HX. The ikon/brain seems to be the easiest to setup so far.

Comment

• Wow, that must of cost a pretty penny to have that shipped to you and to top it off it came in damage. Now, if you you sell it, how much do you think it worth? I like the old models but, just afraid of a part breaking that is no longer available or even finding what I need and now the whole Helicopter is out of commission.

That's so funny that I have to laugh bud.... I started out with the Ikon/ Brain moved to the Spirit when it came out but, didn't like the setup so much because I fully didn't understand it. I went for the Demon 3XG because, all the scale guys are using it at my field. They claim that it is the best for scale flying there 1/4 scale Helicopters. So,I had to try it out and of course needed help to set the Demon 3XG up and I thought the Spirit was hard to setup lol. Now, after what I learned from setting up the Demon I had to revisit my Spirit w/ gps and installed it in my MH-60L I'm building now.
                          You know, the Spirit setup is very similar to the Ikon setup and it has the advance setting that I can understand. The only problem is you have to buy it direct and not sold in the USA. The shipping is fast and tech support from Tomas via Email will be answered with 2 days.

You know, I was in the Military as a Mechanic/ Crewchief on the AH-1F Cobra and that's the reason why I like the Military Helicopter over and civilian Helicopter. They just look so menacing in the air, especially when you hover head towards you. I get flash backs lol.

Comment

Wow, that must of cost a pretty penny to have that shipped to you and to top it off it came in damage. Now, if you you sell it, how much do you think it worth? I like the old models but, just afraid of a part breaking that is no longer available or even finding what I need and now the whole Helicopter is out of commission.

That's so funny that I have to laugh bud.... I started out with the Ikon/ Brain moved to the Spirit when it came out but, didn't like the setup so much because I fully didn't understand it. I went for the Demon 3XG because, all the scale guys are using it at my field. They claim that it is the best for scale flying there 1/4 scale Helicopters. So,I had to try it out and of course needed help to set the Demon 3XG up and I thought the Spirit was hard to setup lol. Now, after what I learned from setting up the Demon I had to revisit my Spirit w/ gps and installed it in my MH-60L I'm building now.
                            You know, the Spirit setup is very similar to the Ikon setup and it has the advance setting that I can understand. The only problem is you have to buy it direct and not sold in the USA. The shipping is fast and tech support from Tomas via Email will be answered with 2 days.

You know, I was in the Military as a Mechanic/ Crewchief on the AH-1F Cobra and that's the reason why I like the Military Helicopter over and civilian Helicopter. They just look so menacing in the air, especially when you hover head towards you. I get flash backs lol.
                            Thank you for your service! I also prefer the military machines most of the time, but there are a few civilian helicopters that I enjoy as well. I’m a flight test engineer over at Bell, so the 525 will definitely join my fleet at some point.

Funny of the FBL controllers. I started out with a flybarred 450, and messed with both the Align 3G and 3GX controllers. Literally anything would have been better than them. Clunky, unintuitive, Chinese-translated-to-English software that left me frustrated and confused. The ikon was much more intuitive than either of those. Glad to hear of your experiences with the Spirit. I have the pro unit with GPS setup on standby for my 700 AH-1W.

Comment

• Got the 500 size Apache in the air for the first time in over a year today and it flew great! Thanks to Bob Mueller for the photos and Michael Brown for helping me out with a new main gear!

Comment

• Awesome. Great pics. The Apache just looks so good in there air. I’m on a waiting list for his scale tail for my 700. I can’t wait to get it and get my tail vibration issue sorted so I can get her back in the air.
                                currently I’m building a 600 Airwolf that should be done soon. After that I start my 500 AH-1Z Viper. For that I need a 4 blade tail. I was thinking of asking him if he can make one. Did he make yours?

Gravy

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                                  Awesome. Great pics. The Apache just looks so good in there air. I’m on a waiting list for his scale tail for my 700. I can’t wait to get it and get my tail vibration issue sorted so I can get her back in the air.
                                  currently I’m building a 600 Airwolf that should be done soon. After that I start my 500 AH-1Z Viper. For that I need a 4 blade tail. I was thinking of asking him if he can make one. Did he make yours?

Gravy
                                  Thanks! I made my tail assembly from spare parts. The only company I know of that makes a 4 blade 500 size tail is PKM PhuketHobbyModel. You can contact them through their Facebook page. I actually just ordered one for the same purpose. Please post your progress on the AH-1Z as it comes together!

Comment

• Thanks will do. I have lots of parts to design and print my AH-1 shows up tomorrow. Time to break out the calipers. I’m going print everything in resin. Otho g is structural so it should work fine.

Gravy

Comment

• Well I did it. I really enjoyed / enjoy flying the 500 Cobra. while I wait for it to be repaired so I can rebuild, I decided to pick up the 500 Apache. I'll end up running the same setup with the only exception being that it will be belt driven tail. I ordered the same Align 4 bladed main rotor head and the same 500 4 bladed tail rotor as I use on the cobra. I'll wait to figure out the motor kv for sure as I believe the Apache comes with different teeth count main gear. I really like the head speed on my Cobra, so hopefully the same 1600kv motor will work on 4s.
                                      This one will sit for a while as I don't have the 500 mechanics yet for this build. So this will be sometime later this year after I get my 600 MD500 G-Jive.

Gravy

Comment

• I’m staring at my beautiful 500E 600 as we speak. You gonna like how easy the build is compared to that Cobra for sure. It has a Double-Cats 5 blade head but still waiting on blades to fly. I ordered an Align 500XT top combo kit the other day with the intentions of just improving my flying skills but already looking for something to stuff it into later. Sure wish that Apache was torque tube.

Comment

• Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                                          I’m staring at my beautiful 500E 600 as we speak. You gonna like how easy the build is compared to that Cobra for sure. It has a Double-Cats 5 blade head but still waiting on blades to fly. I ordered an Align 500XT top combo kit the other day with the intentions of just improving my flying skills but already looking for something to stuff it into later. Sure wish that Apache was torque tube.
                                          Yeah I have a 450 MD500e and MD530. Easiest tear-down and rebuild for maintenance ever. I'm currently in the maintenance stage of my MD500e, Had to order and replace the 5 bladed head.

I'm really looking forward to the 600 MD500 G-Jive build. I have the Roban 5 blade head already. I have ordered some blades to use just to get it all set up, but when the scale blades come back in stock I will order a set as well.

Speaking of blades I need to comb through the thread here to see if F106DeltaDart posted where he got those nice scale blades for the Apache. I'm going to need a set of them.

Gravy

Comment

Working...
                                          X