X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post

Yeah I have a 450 MD500e and MD530. Easiest tear-down and rebuild for maintenance ever. I'm currently in the maintenance stage of my MD500e, Had to order and replace the 5 bladed head.

I'm really looking forward to the 600 MD500 G-Jive build. I have the Roban 5 blade head already. I have ordered some blades to use just to get it all set up, but when the scale blades come back in stock I will order a set as well.

Speaking of blades I need to comb through the thread here to see if F106DeltaDart posted where he got those nice scale blades for the Apache. I'm going to need a set of them.

Gravy
    Congrats on taking on this guy as your next project! It’s not been easy, but it definitely is a great looking kit. My best advise is keep it light. This would minimize your stress on the main gear, which is the critical component that my heavy machine tends to over stress. The belt drive tail should help in that department.

The swept tip blades are available here: http://www.ehirobo.com/copterx-multi...ain-rotor.html

Lots of great 3D printed upgrades available here as well: https://www.fine-scalemodela.com/ah-64-apache1.html

For power system, 1700 rpm should be a good target. That’s around a 1400 KV motor with a 14T pinion. Do not use less than a 13T pinion as it puts a lot of stress on the gear. The old RC Aerodyne manual actually had a warning against this printed in it.

If you have any questions on the build, feel free to send me a PM or post here. I think over the past few years, I’ve managed to find just about every random issue that it could throw at me.

Comment

• Thanks, I actually went back in the thread and found your post on the blades. Already ordered. I don't know why I didn't think of that my self though as I'm using the Ehirobo blades on my 450 MD500 and MD530.
      Just got my shipping notice from Motion. It will be here next Thursday, but as I said, I don't even have the mechanical 500 set yet. I won't even buy one until summer time.

Thanks also for the 3D print link, I'll most likely add all the bits to make it look cool. Printed in 50/50 Flex and regular resin make for good parts that wont easily break.

Gravy

Comment

• So I’m looking at using a scorpion 3026-1000kv with a 15t pinion. That should give me a head speed of 1600rpm with 25% headroom using 4s.
        should be a good head speed.
        I have the the motor and a CC talon 90 coming.
        still need to get the 500 mechanics. I’m on the prowl.

gravy

P.S. cobra is in the repair shop so to say. The guy thinks three to four weeks and I’ll be ready to repaint.

Comment

So I’m looking at using a scorpion 3026-1000kv with a 15t pinion. That should give me a head speed of 1600rpm with 25% headroom using 4s.
          should be a good head speed.
          I have the the motor and a CC talon 90 coming.
          still need to get the 500 mechanics. I’m on the prowl.

gravy

P.S. cobra is in the repair shop so to say. The guy thinks three to four weeks and I’ll be ready to repaint.
          I would personally go a bit higher on headspeed. The thinner chord blades require a bit more than your average blades, and the tail fin has some strange blockage effects on the tail rotor. I had to go up to 1900 rpm on mine just to get enough tail rotor authority to keep it from blowing out. Hopefully, you won’t have this issue at lower weight, but I’d personally leave enough headroom to get the 1800rpm,and target around 1700 for initial testing/tuning.

Comment

• I originally ordered a 1400kv which would have put me at 1700 with a 12t pinion. However I was told Informed today by the shop that they were out of stock. What I really wanted was a 1200kv. I was unable to find what I needed but did find the 1000kv. So I ran the numbers and they matched up with my 700 Apache at 1600 rpms. So I picked it up. I would really not like increasing my pinion any more than 15T. So I’ll give it a try and go from there.
            On another note, how difficult is it to install and or remove the mechanics from the fuse?

Gravy

Comment

I originally ordered a 1400kv which would have put me at 1700 with a 12t pinion. However I was told Informed today by the shop that they were out of stock. What I really wanted was a 1200kv. I was unable to find what I needed but did find the 1000kv. So I ran the numbers and they matched up with my 700 Apache at 1600 rpms. So I picked it up. I would really not like increasing my pinion any more than 15T. So I’ll give it a try and go from there.
              On another note, how difficult is it to install and or remove the mechanics from the fuse?

Gravy
              It's a bit of pain to remove them with the raised tail and all. It's also a very thin fuselage, so there is some twisting and careful work involved in their removal.

Comment

• So just like the cobra. I figured that but was preying for better. The cobra was a PITA. I actually had to do fuselage boom repair after final insertion. My cobra had no clearance at all for the tail riser transition that had to stay on the boom while inserting it. Really pissed me off.

I’ll get the curse book out and ready.

Gravy

Comment

• Hey F106, did your kit come with decals? Mine didn’t. Not sure if supposed to be included or not.

Gravy

Comment

Hey F106, did your kit come with decals? Mine didn’t. Not sure if supposed to be included or not.

Gravy
                    Mine did not come with anything, and was totally white, unpainted. It was also purchased from RC Aerodyne at the time, so Motion’s probably includes a bit more.

Comment

• Yeah no decals, it don’t state that it does. The have decals listed under spare parts, but nothing in the box. Cobra came with them.
                      oh well, I’m going to order some through Cali. I’m getting some for the cobra too.

Gravy

Comment

• Any idea what scale this frame is? I’m guessing 1:16 but haven’t ran numbers. I’m looking at ordering some decals from Cali and just want to make sure what scale I need to tell her.

Gravy

Comment

Any idea what scale this frame is? I’m guessing 1:16 but haven’t ran numbers. I’m looking at ordering some decals from Cali and just want to make sure what scale I need to tell her.

Gravy
                          A quick measurement shows 40.5” nose to tail, so around 1/14.5 scale. If you’d like, after work tomorrow I can send you the markings that I used. Took a lot of research to find all of the small text warnings and markings around the nose and FLIR. They should also be scaled correctly as-is. I printed mine out on clear testors decals paper to conform over the rivets better.

Comment

• Thanks for the scale. No need on the markings, I’m not getting as detailed as you did. I bought a set of decals for a 1:35 model. I’m going to make a high detail scan to send off to Cali. I bought some testors decal paper that I might try. I do like the water slid better than the vinyl.

Gravy
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Supper frustrated now.
                              F106 do you know the part number or which main gear set case you used?
                              The one I had with my Trex 500 and the new one I ordered (H50003AT) both won’t fit into the 120T gear.

Thanks again
                              Gravy

Comment

Supper frustrated now.
                                F106 do you know the part number or which main gear set case you used?
                                The one I had with my Trex 500 and the new one I ordered (H50003AT) both won’t fit into the 120T gear.

Thanks again
                                Gravy
                                The gear is molded with too small a diameter to fit the stock one-way adaptor. I put it in the drill press chuck and held a file against it, and was able to remove enough material for it to fit smoothly.

Comment

• Did you do that for both the main and auto gears?

gravy

Comment

Did you do that for both the main and auto gears?

gravy
                                    Just the main gear. My auto gear fit fine as-is.

Comment

Did you do that for both the main and auto gears?

gravy
                                      A point of clarification.. I did not do anything to the actual gears. I filed down the edge of the gear case that sits in main gear.

Comment

• I got it in, I took you first post as you files the lip on the gear before I got you second post. I used a sanding wheel on my dermal. I sanded the inside of the lip slowly until it fit. Then I had to use a drill bit and ream out the inside of the auto gear to fit the one way bearing shaft. Everything seams well centered, however I have some issue now with something rubbing.
                                        it’s all first loose dry fit, so I’ll figure that out later.

how did that gear Michael Brown made for you work?

Gravy

Comment

I got it in, I took you first post as you files the lip on the gear before I got you second post. I used a sanding wheel on my dermal. I sanded the inside of the lip slowly until it fit. Then I had to use a drill bit and ream out the inside of the auto gear to fit the one way bearing shaft. Everything seams well centered, however I have some issue now with something rubbing.
                                          it’s all first loose dry fit, so I’ll figure that out later.

how did that gear Michael Brown made for you work?

Gravy
                                          Let’s just say it’s still under evaluation. The 6061 aluminum does not hold up well against a steel pinion. My first main gear has been run down to min spec in around 10 flights (~1 hrs total flight). I’m testing the 2nd backup gear he sent now, but with a Brass pinion that I found on eBay. Hopefully that at least slows down the wear on the aluminum..

Comment

Working...
                                          X