Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrxw393
    replied
    Hi Hugh, I think your right about the battery weight and this is why I haven't got a second set of batteries yet. I hadn't considered using high voltage packs it sounds like the way to go going off the results you've had.
    I'll wait and read your comparison when you post it.
    Thanks for posting :)

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by mrxw393 View Post
    Hello all, wow there's a hell of of a lot to read here!! Some great information. As much as I love my 8s Phantom I would like to ask what sort of flight times are others getting?
    I am using a pair of Zee 4s 7000 mah batteries that have done 8 flights and I'm just getting 3 minutes out of it. I am using some throttle management but I'm a bit surprised the flight time isn't a bit closer to 4 minutes. I noticed the flight times on post number 3771 and that really makes me wonder.
    I would welcome any feedback, thanks.
    Not sure this will help at all. I have two 6S F-4's, both with the 4068 12 blade (I'll get to some 8S comparison shortly). Been flying them on the SMC 6200 HiV 6S cells, weight 848 gr with timer set at 3:40, always come down after pushing it hard at or beyond the time and have over 20%. Just tried the new SMC HiV 5900's, weight 740 gr (same balance point so moved batteries a bit forward) and with the loss of 100 gr, even though a slightly less mah, I'm up over 4:00 with over 20% left. It flies much better with less weight. I do have the 8S Eurofighter and fly it on a single 8S SMC HiV 4400 weight 780 gr and get about 4:30 on it. Tried it with the single 8S SMC HiV 5300 at 964 gr (184 gr more plus needed more tail weight) and didn't get much more flight time and it did not perform with the same agility. So my question is, how much do the 2 7000's weigh together. I'm guessing about 1,200 gr. That's almost one pound heavier than the F-4's I'm flying, and it's still the same airframe as your 8S. The extra power is great, but the extra weight needed to push it is not.

I have several 8S EDF's that are outstanding but it's always a battle with trying to keep the weight down and take advantage of the extra power. You may want to try a lighter pack and see if that helps in any way. Just a thought, probably not worth much.

Leave a comment:

• locharrow
    replied
    Tx LB….I hope I don’t focus on the tail too much and watch it disappear into the void!

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    commented on 's reply
    LA, I know, right? It is a great finishing touch. Happy hunting. Best, LB

• locharrow
    replied
    Just stuck a set of led pads up the a#@s of the F4, wired up and it lights up like a vulcano. Looking forward to first flight ! 👊

Leave a comment:

• mrxw393
    replied
    Hello all, wow there's a hell of of a lot to read here!! Some great information. As much as I love my 8s Phantom I would like to ask what sort of flight times are others getting?
    I am using a pair of Zee 4s 7000 mah batteries that have done 8 flights and I'm just getting 3 minutes out of it. I am using some throttle management but I'm a bit surprised the flight time isn't a bit closer to 4 minutes. I noticed the flight times on post number 3771 and that really makes me wonder.
    I would welcome any feedback, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• locharrow
    replied
    Just back from flying with one of the batteries still hot. Is it ok to put it in the fridge, just a thought,never tried it before.

Leave a comment:

• Fighterpilot
    replied
    I put the maiden flight on my A-4 Skyhawk yesterday and was very pleased with the stability of the model. It tracks like it's on rails. I added an Efite servoless bomb drop right at the CG in the center of the fuselage and dropped a bomb on the maiden flight. It works great and was very easy to install. I was careful when cutting the hole in the bottom of the fuselage not to hit any wires. Fished the receiver connection lead up to the receiver, plugged it into channel 7 and it works great. Just don't watch the bomb drop and not continue to watch your airplane.😁
    I made a similar modification to my F-86, I glued some plastic screen over the louvered intake on the bottom of the fuselage, Flying off of grass, you suck up into the ducted fan a lot of grass cuttings up through this bottom intake. It works great to keep the grass out of your fuselage and fan and does not seem to restrict the airflow. I'll post a picture later. After takeoff, and usually on the downwind, I cut the throttle all the way back and watch the grass fall off of the underside of the fuselage.

Leave a comment:

• nuts-n-volts
    replied
    Well, then it must be true! Ph*%$in' alcohol!

Leave a comment:

• locharrow
    replied
    Nuts....Strange, my wife says lives with an f in alcoholic so is should be in it!

Leave a comment:

• nuts-n-volts
    replied
    Loch, I agree totally! Unfortunately, "alcohol" has no "f" in it. ... On second thought, I guess I could have included "Phennellys" somewhere! Now, you my friend have obviously had enough! ...and I need more!

Leave a comment:

• locharrow
    replied
    Nuts.......phalcohol should in there somewhere.....

Leave a comment:

• nuts-n-volts
    replied
    Phantomitis: A rare phorm of phlu-like phever associated with phlight phungus and a particularly phamiliar aircrapht. Pholks complain of phrequent and phervent phorebodings of a phast, phormidibal phighter jet capable of Mach 2+. Their pheelings become so phixated, they place these phacinations phirst and phoremost, above all others. The phever can become so phorceful that the inphlicted will phorgo all necessities in liphe to phurther their phixation. Without restraint, phanatics can easily become phinancially unstable. Phighting the Phantom is phutile, and sometimes phatal. Please be phorewarned!

Leave a comment:

• rlcamden
    replied
    Looking at trying the 12 blade 3668-1960Kv in this airframe. Currently flying the 4068-1835Kv. I fly off a grass field and looking for something other than an 8S setup to get a little extra umph to get it off the ground.

Leave a comment:

• locharrow
    replied
    I had the Cermark F16 a few years back. Stuffed an OS 91 two stroke in it, Flew great but the engine would falter about five minutes into the flight and force a landing. Checked it on the bench...no problems but every time I put it back in the same thing happened. Peed off I hung it up, got something else then sold it on. Sort of regret that because it looked so good when it was flying. I have 70mm F16 that I've never flown because the u/c looks so delicate, waiting till I find a good runway. Anyway, it is re-assuring to know that there is no cure...just have to suffer!

Leave a comment:

• DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by locharrow View Post
    Is there a disease called Phantomitis? Woke up this morning and found I pulled the trigger on the grey version yesterday....I already have a pair of camos so wtf was I thinking about? Wife says I asked her it it was OK and she said yes......what's going on........... ps...great day today, lovely pale sky, warm breeze, park empty .... had a couple of relaxed flights and best of all good touch downs. Missus was with me and I actually got a compliment !! ......
    No cure what so ever....
    Kind of like me and F-16's, love them things for some reason, I've only had about 9 so far.....................

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    locharrow, there is no known cure, it is rarely fatal, and its' effects last a lifetime. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• locharrow
    replied
    Is there a disease called Phantomitis? Woke up this morning and found I pulled the trigger on the grey version yesterday....I already have a pair of camos so wtf was I thinking about? Wife says I asked her it it was OK and she said yes......what's going on........... ps...great day today, lovely pale sky, warm breeze, park empty .... had a couple of relaxed flights and best of all good touch downs. Missus was with me and I actually got a compliment !! ......

Leave a comment:

• locharrow
    replied
    Saw this on Face Book, looks mean...... Click image for larger version  Name:	f411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.4 KB ID:	385505

Leave a comment:

• DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by locharrow View Post
    Nearly had a pile of spares meeeself last week GG.....thought I would take it way out and up and come in fast for a really low fast roll. Usually practice after a normal passing roll I pull straight up and half loop and roll level. Well, came in like a rocket, very fast roll and pulled up a wee bit too late hard banking left! The plane disappeared behind trees, totally out of sight for what felt like ten seconds but probably only a couple. It appeared again fortunately going vertical and I sorted it from there. Apart from a change of underwear it all ended OK. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1215
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	385227
    Wooohoo you saved it...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X