• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PhantomNut View Post

I already have the graphics! :Cool:
    :Cool::Cool:
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey all, Has anyone come up with a way to paint 'inside' the intakes? I am trying to avoid a big mess and any 'disassembly' of the glued parts to paint white in there. Might be unavoidable. Help!:Scared:Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I used plastic grocery bags. Stuff way back, and used go get um hook to get them out.
        Meridian Aeromodelers

Comment

• Originally posted by Torkrollin View Post
          I used plastic grocery bags. Stuff way back, and used go get um hook to get them out.
          TR, did you use 'rattle can' then? I was thinking 1" Foam Brush with a broom handle attached. LOLBest, LB
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• My F4 is almost done, added some weathering and Callie graphics. I painted the vertical stab white to avoid any grey showing trough. I’m trying to figure out how to tackle the servo side of the vertical stab, since the decal is one piece it’s hard to line up and make the correct cut for the servo arm. Maybe I’ll cut the decal in to to make it easier ????.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
              My F4 is almost done, added some weathering and Callie graphics. Since the decal is one piece it’s hard to line up and make the correct cut for the servo arm. Maybe I’ll cut the decal in two to make it easier ????.
              Lcacing, I had a similar issue and cut-out the white portion first as I had sprayed Insignia White over my primer. I figured this would be easier in the long run rather than trying to put down a large decal. I then cut off the 3 sun-rays that would lay over the rudder servo and the control horn (if Required). I matched the "sun" with the other 3 sun rays attached to the opposite side and using a line drawn where the vertical meets the fuselage (slip fitted the vertical to that part, drew a line) as a horizontal reference measuring back from forward attach point.to the 'sun'. I then applied the sun rays to match the sun cut point and the opposite side sun rays. Not a fun task but worth the extra bit of care required. Hope this helps. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	170154

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Lcacing, I had a similar issue and cut-out the white portion first as I had sprayed Insignia White over my primer. I figured this would be easier in the long run rather than trying to put down a large decal. I then cut off the 3 sun-rays that would lay over the rudder servo and the control horn (if Required). I matched the "sun" with the other 3 sun rays attached to the opposite side and using a line drawn where the vertical meets the fuselage (slip fitted the vertical to that part, drew a line) as a horizontal reference measuring back from forward attach point.to the 'sun'. I then applied the sun rays to match the sun cut point and the opposite side sun rays. Not a fun task but worth the extra bit of care required. Hope this helps. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	170154
                What spray paint did you use?

Comment

• Originally posted by Crucianpilot View Post
                  What spray paint did you use?
                  CP, I just used rattle can Testors. Not my favorite, but I will matte coat the entire airframe when completed. Don't think it matters, just wanted a gloss finish to apply the markings. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I've used rattle can, but not good results. Airbrush water based paint worked well for me. Foam brush may work too.
                    Meridian Aeromodelers

Comment

• I've used Testors/Model Masters rattle cans with great success on many of my models. And I typically finish them off with a spray of Testors Dullcote which helps seal in the decals and knocks off any shine. I've also used Rustoleum 2X and gotten good results.
                      Pat

Comment

• I've had good results with Testors Model Masters too. And covered with Polycrilic…

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                        I've used Testors/Model Masters rattle cans with great success on many of my models. And I typically finish them off with a spray of Testors Dullcote which helps seal in the decals and knocks off any shine. I've also used Rustoleum 2X and gotten good results.

Comment

• Yep, I've done the Minwax Polycrylic gloss treatment as well after painting.
                          Pat

Comment

• Sorry guys I should have specified, I was just referring to inside the intakes.
                            Meridian Aeromodelers

Comment

• Can anyone with the grey version see if there’s supposed to be the red sections that go between the white rays on vertical stab , I have the white rays and the bottom red half circle just find it strange they didn’t include all
                              the rays , especially since the red half circle is there .. thanks ! I was going to paint it all red then add the white rays .. but thinking the red will be too dark with white decal over it ...

Comment

• After much thought and reviewing of various colour schemes, I have decided that as the British Phantoms are very different from the Freewing Phantom, I have decided to do a US Marines Phantom from the VMFA-333 Shamrocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                                  After much thought and reviewing of various colour schemes, I have decided that as the British Phantoms are very different from the Freewing Phantom, I have decided to do a US Marines Phantom from the VMFA-333 Shamrocks.
                                  Nice choice, I love those shamrocks.

Woody

Comment

After much thought and reviewing of various colour schemes, I have decided that as the British Phantoms are very different from the Freewing Phantom, I have decided to do a US Marines Phantom from the VMFA-333 Shamrocks.
                                    G, I noticed the same and thought the mods might be beyond my patience. I still believe RAF Phantoms are outstanding, though an F-4 VMFA-333 "Irish Marine" Fighter Pilot? LOL Gordon, you are the Man! Guinness for everyone on me. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

G, I noticed the same and thought the mods might be beyond my patience. I still believe RAF Phantoms are outstanding, though an F-4 VMFA-333 "Irish Marine" Fighter Pilot? LOL Gordon, you are the Man! Guinness for everyone on me. Best, LB
                                      And a shot of Jameson for giggles.... :=)

Comment

• Have any of you guys that have painted over freewing models had any luck shooting Tamiya spray paint over the factory paint without any damage?

Comment

We called this squadron "Trip Trey" when I was in the Marines. Great choice G!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X