Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be careful with 230' and some of these larger scale jets. Takeoff should be fine with just about any of them with the exception of the F14; however, landing may be a different story. Granted you can get just about any of these planes to stop dead in about 100' or less, but when learning how to drop a plane in at appropriate landing speeds you can overshoot a ton of runway very quickly. Take it from me and beat on some easy, more friendly jets for a while first (like the 70mm Rebel). I'm not saying landing in less than 230' isn't possible, but you could easily put this plane in the grass. I'm still relatively new to the hobby at 1.5yrs and even though I've gotten quite comfortable with my current jets (A10, A4, F15, F22) I wouldn't even attempt at bringing them into a 230' strip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grady.c View Post
      I finally decided I need this plane, but I don't know if it'll work on my runway. I have around 230ft of softball field with fences on each side of the strip. If you think I can get this gorgeous plane off the ground and to a stop let me know, please.
      It would depend a lot on your fields altitude, seeing that your in Co. I'm at 4700+ and the 8s takes a bit to get airborne and even more of "a bit" to get stopped. I would say roughly 300ft to take-off and upwards of 400 to 500 to get stopped after a hot landing. I am sure that with a high A you could land it pretty short though but I've only got maybe 6 or 8 flights on mine so far. I'm sure it will take-off in less as well but I like to build up some cushion since i'm lucky enough to have an 800ft runway. Personally, I think 230ft with obstacles on each end is too risky for this heavy of a plane on 8S but that's just me. Having never flown or seen a 6S fly I can't really comment on that.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• Great Jet. Flies very well. I prefer a lot of room whenever I fly this one. Keeps all the pieces together that way !! Cheers !!

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post
            Great Jet. Flies very well. I prefer a lot of room whenever I fly this one. Keeps all the pieces together that way !! Cheers !!
            Spectacular work!
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

CC, The stl files for a 600 Gallon version are available on Thingiverse, designed by DirtyDee, if you have access to a 3DP. Check if that is the one you want. I will be adding that tank to my Phantom when I get to that part of the build. I could print one for you as well then and ship it to you. Let me know. Best, LB
              I’m interested in one of those center tanks as well. How do I buy one?

Comment

• Hey y'all, does anyone know what's up with JHH, are they closed for vacation? :Confused:Ordered 2 pilots for the Phantom on Dec 14th, 2018 and still no replacement recruits. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hey y'all, does anyone know what's up with JHH, are they closed for vacation? :Confused:Ordered 2 pilots for the Phantom on Dec 14th, 2018 and still no replacement recruits. Best, LB
                  LB,
                  What size did you order? 1/12?

Comment

• Originally posted by PhantomNut View Post

LB,
                    What size did you order? 1/12?
                    Yes for the FW F-4. Why? Out of Stock? Out of Production? Outta Luck? Outta questions...Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey Y'all, Empennage painting, shading, and assembly continues slowly, though getting there. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	971
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	172244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	963
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	172245
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Yes for the FW F-4. Why? Out of Stock? Out of Production? Outta Luck? Outta questions...Best, LB
                        I'd like to get some for my F-4 if they ever decide to ship them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quickstop View Post

The real f-4 could carry 16,000 pounds on the wings and internal fuel was 8000 pounds, so yes, I'd say the real one had slightly higher wing loading. Really not comparable in any way except looks
                          Empty weight of the F-4S, 34,000#. Could carry 7000# fuel internal, 4000# in the wings (which was the only place we could dump from) and 6000# in the Centerline. That makes 51K. Our max Cat was like 54K. Sidewinders were 250# apiece. We usually carried a couple. Sparrows 500#. Often had none. Meaning if we wanted to bomb we could only carry 4 Mk82 500# bombs.

Max trap fuel was 5.1. So the wings and centerline had to be empty, and the "main bag" (actually it was like 7 fuel cells down the turtle back) could only have 5100#. Enough for 3 looks daytime. 2 at night. Then off to the tanker hanging right overhead. Or bingo.

Comment

• MotionRC has been out of the Ghost Gray for a while, but Freewing says they can sell to me direct. A rep named "Mike" is asking me to wire transfer money to China. On his recommendation I tried "Xoom," but Xoom dissaproved the address and bank account info he gave me. He then suggested an international wire transfer. My bank charges $40 for that, and he said he'd take $40 off the price.

Anyone have experience with Freewing? Buying direct?

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post
                              MotionRC has been out of the Ghost Gray for a while, but Freewing says they can sell to me direct. A rep named "Mike" is asking me to wire transfer money to China. On his recommendation I tried "Xoom," but Xoom dissaproved the address and bank account info he gave me. He then suggested an international wire transfer. My bank charges $40 for that, and he said he'd take $40 off the price.

It's a scammer and has been covered many times here.
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

MotionRC has been out of the Ghost Gray for a while, but Freewing says they can sell to me direct. A rep named "Mike" is asking me to wire transfer money to China. On his recommendation I tried "Xoom," but Xoom dissaproved the address and bank account info he gave me. He then suggested an international wire transfer. My bank charges $40 for that, and he said he'd take $40 off the price.

DO NOT SEND MONEY! SCAM.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

DO NOT SEND MONEY! SCAM.
                                    Thanks all for the warnings on the Scam. Glad I checked. Seemed a bit fishy. I've bought direct from FMS and it was a much more "normal" buying experience.

Comment

Thanks all for the warnings on the Scam. Glad I checked. Seemed a bit fishy. I've bought direct from FMS and it was a much more "normal" buying experience.
                                      Is the whole freewing-model.com site a scam too? The "Mike" guy that's trying to get me to wire money is the same email address as listed on the site.

Comment

• Love your avatar..... Just too cool!!! :-) As far as I know, that entire site is BS... It sure looks legit. :Angry::(:(

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Nice Picture Mate! Nice to hear from another Navy Pilot! I just bet ya, no one new about those wing tanks till you said something man. I didn't know.

Best Regards
                                          Woody
                                          Interesting facts about the wing tanks. The replacement cost of a CL tank was like $13,000. A wing tank- $750. The centerline was speed restricted to 600 KIAS. The wing tanks could go to the airframe limit, though they'd slow you down a lot so it was kinda OBE. The airplane just flew crappier with the wing tanks. Didn't turn as well, bled energy faster.

We started carrying them when I was pretty new to the squadron in 1981. I was flying with this crusty old flight lead one night and one of my tanks wouldn't transfer. I couldn't land back on the boat that way. I tried putting some G on to free the valve. No luck. I told "Dude," (Jack Dodd, the my flight lead) my problem. He tells me "Punch 'em off." I answered, "Don't you think we should tell the ship in case they want us to go to the beach and get it sorted out?" He answers "PUNCH 'EM OFF!! PICKLE 'EM!!"

So I did. Landed back at the boat slick. First the squadron knew was seeing me cross the ramp on the ships TV with no tanks. Skipper meets me walking in the ready room and asks "What happened to your wing tanks?" I replied, "One wouldn't transfer, so I pickled 'em."

He shrugs his shoulders and says "Oh."

And HERE's a picture of what can happen when you tangle with the cable towing a missile target. I was flying the airplane that took the picture...

Comment

Working...
                                          X